The Dolourus Crusade.

First rule of 40k. Don't buy stuff till you've played a few games in the new edition. smile.png

I've actually taken my SR off the rotation, and am now looking at a second storm talon instead. Remember, the new orks can completely rip all the flyers out of the sky pretty easily if you run across them.

Not read up on Orks or Wolves yet, will be fighting Necron soon, with a good few skimmers but no flyers as I remember, my SR may be a great weapon against his army.

I am thinking close combat, the Necrons are known for not being brilliant in hand 2 hand.

Not read up on Orks or Wolves yet, will be fighting Necron soon, with a good few skimmers but no flyers as I remember, my SR may be a great weapon against his army.

I am thinking close combat, the Necrons are known for not being brilliant in hand 2 hand.

With the exception of Wraiths and Destroyer Lords and Scythes. 

S6 Rending and an S6(7?) AP2 weapon at initiative is pretty potent when combined with a 2+/3++

Necron annihilation barges are absurdly powerful vs flyers.  Be wary of them and stay out of their limited arc and range of fire.

The new orks have an anti air gun, which if it glances, or pens a flyer, instantly causes an immobilized result in addition to other effects.  In 7th, an immobilized flyer has to immediately roll, and on a 1 or 2, is destroyed.   Being that the guns are str 8, BS3, skyfire, with rerolls if they miss, makes them all the more deadly.

I will have to watch out then, he has 3 Annihilation Barges.

I may leave the Storm Raven at home then, Vindicator, Landraider and Predator Executioner it is then.

Along with an LRC, 2 TLLC Razorbacks, Grimaldus, Marshall Dolourus, 30 or so Brothers, 5 Initiates.

Its a 2000 point game, he has allowed me to use the experimental rules for the Predator Executioner, don't have the IA2 book yet. Nice of him. laugh.png

"You did not tell him?" The question annoyed the Inquisitor, he dis-liked his actions being questioned. But this particular Grey Knight would be afforded a certain freedom.

"He did not need to know!" answered Inquisitor Jarold, skillfully keeping his annoyance from his voice, but knowing the mighty Haunted Knight of Mortain would sense it.

"You would drive the wedge deeper?" asked the Grey Knight.

His control slipped. "The Inquisition does not fear the Black Templars." He spat. "We suffer them." His control returned. "You do not need to know the true mission here 'Mordrak'." The Grey Knight did not respond to the out burst. "You are here because I require your experience. Your rank allows you a certain freedom. But you are a Grey Knight and you will do as I command."

"As always Inquisitor." His voice was a sea of calm, his body gave no sign of anger, annoyance. Only a cold hard control.

"Have your men prepare for planetfall, if this Marshall acts as his profile suggests, he will follow me. I needed him to believe that the threat is greater than his Crusade. You will help me convince him of this." the Inquisitor instructed.

"This will not be difficult." answered Grand Master Mordrak. "We know the Templars, they are strong of faith, if a little misguided. Their zealous nature will ensure they follow the path you have laid out for them."

"Yes." Thought Inquistor Jarold. "It will."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"He has a hidden agenda." Even among his Brothers his voice was powerful. It commanded respect as a whisper, as a shout it fed his Brothers zealous nature, in battle his voice would raise them to the greatest efforts their Emperor created bodies could endure. At the height of battle his words could keep them fighting when their wounds should have killed them. The Zeal of a Black Templar was never stronger than in the presence of Chaplain Grimaldus.

"Don't they always?" replied Marshall Dolourus. His own voice, although it held the command of his entire Crusade, was but a whisper in the wind compared to the Chaplains, but he cared not. With all the Crusades across the Imperium, it was a rare honor indeed to take to the field of battle with the mighty hero.

"Are you aware of the 'Impossible Planet' Marshal?" Grimaldus asked, knowing the answer.

"I know of the legends Brother Chaplain, that is all." replied Dolourus. Instantly realizing the Chaplains true reason for joining his Crusade.

"Our Lord Helbrecht tasked me with joining your Crusade as he believes this 'Impossible planet' to be our Inquisitors true destination." confided Grimaldus.

"Our Lord excels. Again. So what are my new orders?" Dolourus asked.

"Lord Helbrecht wishes to aid the Inquisition in destroying this unholy threat to the Emperors realm. It is a worthy Crusade. For too long has this Necron planet been allowed to plague HIS Imperium. We will go along with the Inquisitors 'story' but he must not know of our duplicity. He must believe it is his path we are following."

"Grand Master Mordrak, what can the Black Templars do for the His Inquisition?" the question was dead pan, Dolourus carefully keeping all inflections from his voice. He knew of these Grey Knights, he knew of their role in the Emperors Imperium. He was aware of their links with the witchcaft used by the Librarians of the lesser chapters.

"I come to you with ill news Marshall. Our Prognosticars have tasked me with destroying a grave threat to the Emperors realm. A threat that is closer to you than you might imagine. My Brothers and I are aware of your High Marshall and his network of 'information gatherers'." Mordrak smiled at this, he had chosen his words carefully, a spy was a spy, but there was nothing to be gained in angering the Black Templars. "We have no issues with your following the Inquisitions actions. It is a dangerous game Helbrecht plays, but you may be assured that the Grey Knights will not reveal his secrets. We also watch the watchers."

"Indeed." replied Dolourus. "And how can we make His Imperium safer?"

"You must destroy the threat for me." Mordraks face had lost its smile. It was hard as stone. "Though it may take my life, which I freely give, you must destroy an ancient evil. I will ensure as many of my Brothers are on the planet as I can, I myself must stay on board my vessel. In exactly 2 hours, you must destroy my ship, you must kill the Inquisitor."

The scene is set, with Grand Master Mordrak, the "Inquisitor", Marshall Dolourus and Chaplain Grimaldus in space, Chaplain 'Kippeon' must lead a Black Templar Strike team to the planet surface to team up with a force of Grey Knights and engage the Necrontyr in a show of force aimed at convincing the 'Inquisitor' all is going to his plan.

During the surface battle, Marshal Dolourus must engage and destroy the Grey Knights Strike Cruiser, killing the 'Inquisitor.

With battle planned for Dec 28th at GW HQ, Warhammer World. A 2000 point game, on a 6' x 8' table called 'Spyral Prime'.

For Sigismund, For Dorn, FOR THE EMPEROR.

Awww man! I'm so envious! WH World is wonderful, went there on a day trip with an english buddy of mine when I finished a postgraduate degree in London.

Insta-bought some FW when I was informed of the free shipping when you buy at WH world.

Hope you won't be too dolorous after the game tongue.png

Yeah, when I lived in England, I used to pop over at least once every 2 or 3 months. Now I live in Scotland (500+) miles away, it's a bit far to go.

But, I am treating myself for Xmas. LOL.

I need to figure out now how to take down his 3 flyers. Night Scythes, transports. I am thinking, 5 man Missile Launcher squads on the roof of some of the buildings, as there is a lot of terrain and the Hunter/Stalker will have serious LOS issues. Lascannons will sort out the Quantum shielding on the Annihilation Barges. There are some great firing lanes on the board. 

Crusader Squad with Chaplain in an LRC and 10 GK Terminators will solve any ground troop issues. 

Question: Do I load up on Landraiders ( I have three ) or do I go Vindicator, Predator and Storm Raven?

Ha ha, I have just found that the word 'Dolorous' means "causing or involving pain or sorrow"

The Emperor was smiling down on me when I named my Marshall. Soon Brothers, I will be bringing pain and sorrow to the Xenos.

Following the story of my Crusade, there will be a Captain, 10 Terminators and 10 Interceptors from the Grey Knights, backed up by a Chaplain and a 15 man Crusader Squad in LRC, 5 man Tactical aquad in RB, a Vindicator, a Predator Executioner and a Storm Raven of the Black Templars.

I am toying with dropping some Neophytes and the Chaplain to take a Castellan with SE and Thunder Hammer.

This sounds like it is going to be pure epicness! Can't wait to see the aftermath :)

That's a tough choice: drop a few neophytes, sure, but a Chaplain? Isn't that heresy to even think it? But Castellan McBadass and his Hammer-Eternal? I get all warm and fuzzy inside thinking about it :D

Very true Brother, what was I thinking?

Marshall Dolourus and Grimaldus will stay on board the Black Templar Strike Cruiser 'Lucem Imperator' to carry out the request of the Grey Knights.

Grand Marshall Mordrak will stay aboard the Grey Knight Strike Cruiser with 'Inquisitor' Jarold to ensure his destruction.

My Castellan will have the pleasure of wearing AA and fielding the Shield Eternal and the Templar Blade ( 4 bladed mace with rules of a TH. )

He will lead Chaplain Kippeon and the Crusader Squad with one Initiate in the Landraider Crusader 'Liberatus Est' with a Tactical squad in the Razorback 'Scindus Eminous'

Backing up the Castellan will be the Vindicator 'Ira Imperium', the Predator Executioner 'Exuro Hereticus and the Stormraven 'Volaticus Dorn'.

The Grey Knights strike force consists of a Brotherhood Champion and 10 Terminators.

For translations of the names, please feel free to read post one of this thread. blink.png

I will take my camera and take pictures and a few notes. My painting is not even good, but I think the shots will look good because of the table we are using.

My ZEAL rises with every passing day, By the 28th of DecemberI will be frothing at the mouth more than ready to destroy this Xenos filth. furious.gif

Marshall Dolourus remained calm, even though his hearts raced and his body rebelled at the thought of destroying the Grey Knight vessel.

"You want me to destroy your vessel?" he asked in a flat tone.

"Yes Templar, I am tasking you with destroying an evil greater than any you have ever faced. The thing you call Inquisitor Jarold, ceased using that name over one hundred years ago. It is responsible for the continuing enmity between your Chapter and the Inquisition. I am giving you the chance to rid both the Imperium and your Chapter of a common enemy. I beleive their is a trap for you on the planet below, I have tasked a squad of my best to acompany you to the surface, any more would raise suspision. I and a select few of my Brothers will remain aboard to ensure the 'Inquisitor' can not flea or send any communications." Mordrak paused. "Just make sure you destroy the vessel quickly."

Dolourus felt his anger growing, his disgust at the 'Inquisitor', his rage at the injustice the Inquisitions enmity, his nature quickly turned it, into something more, something far more dangerous, the Black Templars were known for their ZEAL in combat and Marshall Dolourus felt levels of ZEALOTRY he had never felt. This THING would pay for it's actions against his Chapter, against Humanity, against The Emperor.

"I WILL kill this 'Inquisitor'. This I vow to you. I will give the command personally."

"You must be on the planet Templar or the 'Inquisitor' will sense duplicity."

"Do not concern yourself with our actions Knight, in little under two standard hours this THING will be dead. My Brothers and I will destroy this abomination, we will spring this trap and destroy whatever we find on the planet surface."

"Very well, I will take my leave. You have a battle to plan." With that Grand Master Mordrak strode out of the room, leaving Marshall Dolourus to his thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Well met Brothers.

Had a very interesting night tonight. I introduced a friend and his son to the wonderful game that is WH40K.

After a simple move, shoot, charge, combat session, the son declared himself ready for a game. Okay, a 3 way 500 point battle ensued.

I took EC, Command squad, Crusader squad and a TLLC RB. Not brilliant, but I aimed to fight and lose.

My friend took a Captain, a Tact Squad and a TDA squad.

"You can pick what you like" I said as I was asked if the son could use one of my tanks. You guessed it. The LRC. With a Captain and a Tac squad.

I learned tonight in my first play of 7th, why LRC are feared. WOW. we did not even dent the thing. TLLC's or Powerfists. Ha ha.

A great time was had and I beleive we have two new 40K fans. biggrin.png

Archived