It has been years since I've bought a new kit let alone built or painted (last model I painted was for the DIY swap in 2010-2011), so getting back into it is a bit of an alien concept for me.

Anyways I've watched as GW released rather cool kits over the last couple of years (Sternguard, Vanguard, new Tacticals etc), and have always been able to resist the urge to buy (especially with their prices). I almost didn't when Codex Space Marines came out, but the whole characters exclusive to Chapter Tactics mucked that up.

Then GW brought out the Imperial Knights, and I knew at some point I'd be buying one. Still I held off, and GW dropped the Temptestus Scions (Storm Troopers)...

gallery_20677_9416_11169.jpg

So yeah I bought a ton of stuff (well ton in comparison to none), and waited an exorbitantly long time for Wayland Games to send 50% of it (the IKnight and Codex).

Thus I had to think about what I was going to do with this stuff.

Long story short:

Primary: Astra Militarum (with Scions)

Ally : Space Marines > Raven Guard Successor

+ Inquisition (includes Warlord) - NO COTEAZ

+ Imperial Knight

Honestly I have no intentions of turning it into a maximised gaming army. So fluffy and cool is the name of the game (the Inquisition stuff especially will be more Dark Heresy / Inquisition 54mm/28mm in style individuals than spam Death Cultists/Jokero).

THE PLAN (Paintwise not listwise):

Generally I want to keep everything somewhat tied together. So a similar colourscheme across the Scions, IG and SM (the =I= and Knight stuff being the exception).

Note: All I have is old paints which are old (as in can I even paint with this... old), so generally I don't know the equivalents from the new range off hand (I know there is a chart, but I remember the old names easier).

Across the army I'm going to go with three standard colours to keep it consistent:

1. Primary: Adeptus Battlegrey

2. Secondary: Chaos Black

3. Metals: Tin Bitz

If anyone knows whether the replacements are the same as the old paints let me know (Liche Purple isn't the same as Xereus purple - which killed my Falcon Knights).

Photoshopped examples of what I plan:

Scions:

gallery_20677_9416_90701.jpg

(had a hard time getting the metals anywhere near tin bitz)

IG:

gallery_20677_9416_20050.jpg

SM:

gallery_20677_9416_92794.jpg

IK: Can't decide between (see the black as Adeptus Battlegrey, the green is green and the metal tin bitz):

gallery_20677_9416_244083.jpg

&

gallery_20677_9416_12972.jpg

More later as it is late and I have work tomorrow.

For the lead Inquisitor I'm trying to base him on one of my OCs that I use in various other games. Ruleswise he isn't all the interesting, as the options for Inquisitors is quite lacking and pigeonholed (one Inquisitor type with access to all the options would have been preferable).

Anyway he will hopefully look somewhat like his Fallout New Vegas self (I'm better with 3d model converting than miniature converting):

gallery_20677_9416_78888.jpg

I've gathered most of the parts I'm going to use to build this v1 of him with (IG Cadian Command Squad bits - split long coat legs, respirator, Victoria Miniatures bare arms and goggles etc), but I wouldnt' say the leg choice is ideal*, nor is the fact that I'll be trying to green stuff the hat...

* = Whilst a split long coat, it buttons under the belt, rather than being open. The only long coat that I could find that was open was on the FW DKoK Commissar, but removing the bits I didn't want would leave the model needing more reconstructive surgery than I could possibly accomplish.

Fluffwise this Inquisitor is a bit of an oddity, because I am planning on making him also the Knight's pilot... (both won't be on the field at the same time - so I'll have other Warlord options built too).

He's a mysterious Freeblade who is known by the moniker "The Outlander". He became attached to Inquisitor Sigmund Klaw's retinue, and eventually with time became his Interrogator before finally being sponsored into the Inquisition upon Klaw's disappearance.

The entire army will be basically themed around being his (apart from the Space Marines of course).

Edit:

IG: The 7th Zaskian

Scions: Omegan 13th Umibozu

SM: Phantom Hounds 2nd Company

More tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to post pics of models in progress soon, but I still need to get some new polycement, and probably super glue.

Looking very cool Heru, will be watching.thumbsup.gif

Like the Knight scheme, although the similarity between the Scions/IG and Astartes colour schemes is making my fluff-coincidence-ometer wobble!

Inq looks awesome, can't see the hat being too hard to make; cut off the top of the head, add a slightly bent to shape circle of plasticard for the brim, then a cylindrical blob of GS for the top?

Looking very cool Heru, will be watching.thumbsup.gif

Like the Knight scheme, although the similarity between the Scions/IG and Astartes colour schemes is making my fluff-coincidence-ometer wobble!

There is still the possibility that the IG scheme will change, if it doesn't I will just write it in that the Inquisitor had the regiment and the Scion regiment change their schemes to be more like the SM contingent.

I've been involved in this hobby for so long that I forgot I had not one but two unboxed Chimeras, in addition to all the other thousands of pounds worth of boxes I collected...

Cataloguing my collection of unbuilt stuff to see what I have available...

1. Old Space Marine Army Box

gallery_20677_9280_44408.jpg

2. Blackreach, Tactical Box, Drop Pod, Terminators, Sanguinary Guard, misc bits and pieces.

gallery_20677_9280_46623.jpg

3. A box full of stuff... (there is at least two boxed Chimeras in there)

gallery_20677_9280_38017.jpg

Oh Lord, that's a lot of unused crack. I couldn't let it sit like that, my compulsion to build everything would have kicked in the moment I got any of it. 

This is going to be one big old project log, I wish you luck my friend. 

blink.png

I need a Drop Pod, AegisDL and Land Raider Crusader to finish my army...

just saying...

laugh.png tongue.png

Ahem, on a more serious note, I really like the 3rd option on the IG, the lighter colour on the carapaces would make for a nice contrast (and with the other units too).

Can I come to your house Heru? You have far too many boxes for one man, don't be a hero. I am looking forward to how the Scions turn out, very cool models (got a box of them myself now I'm contemplating replacing my Kasrkin with them).

1 Inquisitor with plasma pistol (the special WH one)

1 blister of death cultists

3 Chimeras

1 Rhino (another is in the SM army box)

1 box of scouts

1 Terminator box

1 Dark Angels Battleforce

1 Ravenwing Battleforce

1 Cities of Death building box

2 boxes of plastic trees (chimera sized boxes)

1 original masters of the chapter box

1 metal Coteaz (useful for a conversion maybe)

1 Space Marine commander box

1 Medusa V era metal venerable dreadnought box

1 Medusa V era Captain Sicarius (with claws)

2 or 3 metal obliterators

1 resin barricades (CoD)

2 resin basing kits

1 Cadian 20 man box

Various boxes of leftover bits from stuff that got put together previously.

Various modeling tools

Eldar stuff (collected for fifth edition) not relevant to the board, but worth listing to show how deep that box is...

1 box of striking scorpions

1 box of howling banshees

1 Farseer with bodyguard

1 box of dark reapers

1 wraith lord

There is no finecast in this list at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Been awhile since my last post, I was waiting on the new edition to hit so I'd know what I can do.

Working on the list of what I want for this force. This isn't a "what I would have as my army list", more of a what models do I want to have built and available to build army lists from. There is a possibility that I might add another SM ally with the new edition allowing that.

- Primary -

Astra Militarum "3rd Armoured Kaldorian"

HQ:

1 = Company Command Squad

2 = 2 Commissars

3 = 3 Ministorum Priests

4 = 1 Primaris Psyker

5 = 2 Enginseers

Troops:

1 = Infantry Platoon

+ 1 Platoon Command Squad

+ 5 Infantry Squads

+ 2 Heavy Weapon Squads

+ 1 Conscript Squad

2 = 2 Veteran Squads "Zaskian Mercenaries"

Elites:

1 = Militarum Tempestus Platoon "Omegan 13th Umibozu"

+ 1 MT Command Squad

+ 3 MT Scion Squads

2 = 1 Ratling Squad

Fast Attack:

1 = 1 Valkyrie Squadron

2 = 1 Vendetta Squadron

Heavy Support:

1 = 1 Leman Russ Squadron

2 = 1 Basilisk Battery

3 = 1 Hydra / Wyvern Battery

- Allies I -

Inquisition

HQ:

1 = Inquisitor "The Outlander" (don't know what branch to go with)

2 = Ordo Malleus Inquisitor "Blademistress Vala"

Elites:

1 = 3 Inquisitorial Henchmen Warbands

- Allies IK -

Imperial Knights

1 = 1-3 Imperial Knights

- Allies -

Space Marines "Phantom Hounds"

HQ:

1 = Shadow Captain Shrike

Troops:

1 = 1 Tactical Squad

2 = 1 Scout Squad

Elites:

1 = Vanguard Veteran Squad

Fast Attack:

1 = Assault Squad

Heavy Support:

1 = Devastator Squad

WIP on Inquistor Outlander

med_gallery_20677_9416_236455.jpg

Since said pic the bare arm with knife has also been cut in half. I hope to switch out the bolt pistol with one of the Necromunda stubber revolvers, and the scout knife with a katana (haven't found a good IG/Inq scale katana yet).

Wrecked a classic Escher ganger trying to use her revolver, only for it to pretty badly mauled and look far too small on the Inquisitor.

So at the moment he has a "sort of needle pistol" and a Scion power sword, and I don't know whether I like either of them. The only other option is to go with a plasma pistol, and / or find a good scaled katana. So far the only things that went the way I wanted are the arms.

gallery_20677_9416_31134.jpg

gallery_20677_9416_32661.jpg

gallery_20677_9416_8352.jpg

gallery_20677_9416_30793.jpg

Update: Pistol switched with a plasma pistol, goggles and mask added. The sword may still be switched if I find I have any ability with plasticard (have some ordered for the first time).

gallery_20677_9416_4153.jpg

gallery_20677_9416_12718.jpg

gallery_20677_9416_20159.jpg

gallery_20677_9416_8464.jpg

Close-up:

gallery_20677_9416_4252.jpg

gallery_20677_9416_41832.jpg

gallery_20677_9416_31102.jpg

gallery_20677_9416_11914.jpg

On a related note I've remembered part of the reason I quit, mold lines and sprue connection nubs are such a pain to get rid of. The later is making such a mess too.

• 1 year later...

Long overdue update:

Unfortunately due to life & money circumstances I've basically had to abandon any and all GW mini related projects, and I'm now trying to get rid of all the so called plastic crack (which surprisingly seems pretty hard to do).

Long overdue update:

Unfortunately due to life & money circumstances I've basically had to abandon any and all GW mini related projects, and I'm now trying to get rid of all the so called plastic crack (which surprisingly seems pretty hard to do).

Well that just sucks monkey nuts....

Archived