XIVth Fighting Company

Pipkin

@ Firepower: I say again, painting isn't my strong side, never been, I'm gonna try to clean it up. I'm not nearly as happy with the Red thorn razorback as with the sword one though.

Don't worry. I've fixed others. I can fix you, too. devil.gif

Personally, I like it. You have found a style that you can really pull off, and it is a twist on more classic templar themes that plays really well with the symbolism of many knightly orders. While it isn't what I would do with my own templars, that is irrelevant. These aren't my templars, they are yours, and unmistakably so. You have carved ut a niche for your own crusade, and you step up and fill it capably. The touches of red and white give the impression of a shield or coat of arms, it's a nice idea that also injects a focal point to your vehicle scheme and makes the vehicle itself feel like a knight in its own right. I think your work is inspired, and your zeal for pushing your own painting techniques further is equally impressive.

I also like the inclusion of roses and thorns (if all stuck to the malteses cross we would end up looking all the same in the long run). I would try to incorporate both red and white thorns, or balance out the red with some more white detailing, e.g. some of the reccesed parts of the rhino hull.

No matter, it's still a nice model with an evocative paint job. /like

• 1 month later...

What happened to the Rhino's tread armor in the front?  It's white like it's been bent or warped...weird.  It still works, and it won't show through paint or anything.  I'm just curious.  But it looks like you did leave a sprue tab on the side of that headlight, which is in need of a good trimming.  Possibly one on the top of the banner's cross, too.  Kinda hard to see for sure.

It looks like the dish's base panel isn't quite fitting snugly or flat in its slot.  If it's too big, give it a trim.  If it's a wee bit bent, you can try introducing the panel to some warm water to soften the resin and then gently flatten it.  I've never dared to mess with that myself, though.  FW crap is too expensive for me to go mucking around unless something is seriously wrong.

If you've got a fairly wide drill (2mm or so) you may want to consider drilling out the exhausts.  It's not necessary by any means, but it does look nice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just wanted to inform about that I attended a tournament this monday.

And the true symbols of the emperor walked home with the cup!

Game 1 was Imperial Fists, Game 2 was Nid's and Game 3 was Grey Knights/Assasin detachment.

Gonna post some pics later this weekend of the entire (almost) Fighting Company. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would really like to purchase one of these... but seriously torn between these and some FW table pieces as well... problem with the giant FW resin table is that it is resin... in really high quantities... which is unreasonably carcinogenic... but these table pieces are a lot better that the standard 'grassy hilltops' 1st released by GW.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Good lord, tell me you have more than one techmarine... otherwise that is going to be the one person to avoid at all costs on the battlefield. I can seriously picture it now...

"Brother Baird.... what is Techmarine Parvus doing out in front of everyone else?"

"...well Marshall.... the enemy seems to have blown the track off of a Landraider he'd just fixed.... again."

"Hm. Stay out of his way, and dedicate fire not capable of destroying vehicles, to pinning the enemy. I'm going to assume he's after vengeance, and this should prove interesting to watch."

Archived