The Occulta Indignatio crusade

Brothers, I need a bit of help with putting an official name to my crusade... (an important step to setting up a lasting WIP thread and bringing continuity to my modeling) So with a little bit of help from Google translate I came up with "occulta indignatio" meaning hidden fury. The reasoning behind this is that my back story that I have been bouncing around is that of a crusade endowed with a prophetic or even potentially direct instruction from the Emperor to build a crusade in hiding for a darker hour that is coming. (when abbadon decides to actually try something threateningteehee.gif )

For those who dabble in other universes kind of like Gondolin in the Silmarilion... except not xenos.

So the idea is that my crusade has been quietly building strength towards, and possibly past, legion strength in an unnoticed corner of the galaxy perhaps even on a couple of cleansed necron tomb worlds with those pillars that nullify the warp like they have on cadia so that there are no psykers on their worlds and they are hidden from pesky psykic prying. One of the worlds is probably a shrine world as well because my crusade has a heavy religious influence... very, very, very much like loyalist word bearers... except not stupid heretics.

Additionally this would give me a natural ascetic to work my eventual IG army around in a great crusade reborn with combined imperial army type forces brought back into 40K And I get to thumb my nose at those silly smurfs and that prying Inquisition. No more than a thousand marines you say? how about 10,000 in a single crusade woot.gif Thoughts?...

Actually, I like what you came up with. Occulta Indignatio and the meaning is quite cool actually. At first I thought it was a mouthful, then I lol'd when I said, "Albigensian". So I think you're good there.

The only challenge I see is in the area of "quietly building" a crusade. That really isn't like us.

Now I'll offer something for consideration. What if (leveraging your idea)...

1. Your crusade is currently localized in an area that appears to have a high concentration of Tomb Worlds.

2. Due to the crusade's location and Necron influence, it is screened from prying eyes and any psychic data gathering techniques.

3. Whilst in the process of destroying a tomb world, an artifact (you decide) is discovered prophesying ____________________

4. Now the thing you'd need to address is "how" the crusade is being built up. To be consistent, you are isolated, so where do the numbers come from? The Shrine World?

5. Armaments. How are you getting those? So you'll need either a forge world nearby or some sort of a "fleet" forge resource.

It's an interesting idea. I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops.

This is a very intriguing idea, which also if memory serves, is much like the Templars fluff with regards to the fact that only the high marshal truly knows the amount of Templars that exists. Chaplain Honda brings up some very valid points and the relic idea defenatly has merit. The name you have chosen is defenatly fitting for a templar crusade, another idea could be Tenebras Lucem which by google translate is shadows of light. I look forward to seeing how this develops.

hrm... after a bit of mulling i like the relic idea... how about a tome of revelations written down by the Big E him self before his internment er ascension that was found on a space hulk (the ship carring it was lost in a storm) that fore saw his fight with the traitor and looked forward to when he would rise form his throne to become an actual god like the eldar think is going to happen and directing the finders to prepare to follow him on a renewal of the great crusade into the very heart of Chaos to make it a fit place for humanity to dwell... ambiguous enough that it could be a real thing or it could be twisted... I like that... 

Perhaps the crusading aspect could be working outward into the unknown regions... that way my crusade is still active but not in a way that would be visible to the rest of the galaxy.

yeah the idea was definitely to draw recruits from the shrine world(s) encompassed in the hidden stronghold. In fact I was thinking that we might have close enough ties to the shrines that the high temple was actually a keep and Templars presided over various religous functions which would give them the ability to scout recruits among the most fervent...this would explain my love for purity seals and scribble text on my models.

I had actually thought that there might be a rouge sect of techpriests presiding over a forgeworld made out of a tomb world that dabbled in necron tech and such that would also supply the needs of the crusade in return for protection from the prying eyes of mars... maybe an exploritor fleet that got luck and arrived at their destination just after the hiden crusade purged it to set up shop...

hrm... after a bit of mulling i like the relic idea... how about a

tome of revelations written down by the Big E him self before his internment

er ascension that was found on a space hulk (the ship carring it was

lost in a storm) that fore saw his fight with the traitor and looked

forward to when he would rise form his throne to become an actual god

like the eldar think is going to happen and directing the finders to

prepare to follow him on a renewal of the great crusade into the very

heart of Chaos to make it a fit place for humanity to dwell... ambiguous

enough that it could be a real thing or it could be twisted... I like

that...

Yes, I think that's very workable. I would use "soft" language describing the artifact, like "it appears to be...", "is it possible that..." so that you have some wiggle room. Remember, most of the fluff in 40K is intentionally ambiguous and GW's style is to hint at things. What you are suggesting would be like finding the remains of Noah's Ark, which would have some most interesting ramifications to the rest of the world.:)

Perhaps the crusading aspect could be working outward into the

unknown regions... that way my crusade is still active but not in a way

that would be visible to the rest of the galaxy.

Perfect.

yeah the idea was definitely to draw recruits from the shrine

world(s) encompassed in the hidden stronghold. In fact I was thinking

that we might have close enough ties to the shrines that the high temple

was actually a keep and Templars presided over various religous

functions which would give them the ability to scout recruits among the

most fervent...this would explain my love for purity seals and scribble

text on my models.

I have the same affectation.

I had actually thought that there might be a rouge sect of

techpriests presiding over a forgeworld made out of a tomb world that

dabbled in necron tech and such that would also supply the needs of the

crusade in return for protection from the prying eyes of mars... maybe

an exploritor fleet that got luck and arrived at their destination just

after the hiden crusade purged it to set up shop...

At first I was, "Enh", but then I thought that the splinter group could be from the same divisionist group from Mars that the Sons of Medusa have embraced, but Mars itself  has declared heretic. They are still loyalists, but are a minority and would want to remain discreet whilst they plumb the Necron goodies. Also, since the Mechanicum have their own fleets, you could have them assisting in that regard and that might help explain the numbers needed to provide bullets and treads for your crusade.

This is developing into a pretty interesting framework.

I kinda like the idea of claiming to have found a Noah's ark type artifact... I mean... it doesn't have to actually be true but my guys would be utterly convinced it was... to justify the great lengths they are going to beyond what is normal or even "loyal" to others. Basically what my crusade is doing would be heretical in the eyes of most... so It has to be something massively valuable to sway such a large force to follow it. Perhaps the high leadership knows that it "appears to be" and such but the rank and file, especially the army legions being marshaled believe it as gospel certain.

yeah I was thinking that the ad mech guys would still be loyal just divergent... (no reference intended) and probably have a massive fleet... perhaps building some special local constructs which where part forage ship, part colony ship, part battle station to patrol the boarders of their joint sealed region in consort with the legions (marine and army)

kind of a massive boarder patrol with ridiculous weaponry and a shoot on site attitude to all except other Templar fleets... lots of mini crusades on guard duty... lots of naming potential for captains Castellans there... "of the eastern march and stuff"

Last thing you need now is your location on the galaxy... no point in hiding right smack dab beside the EoT or Terra as there are 100 other factions smack dab in those areas... how about somewhere in the Eastern Fringe or near the Ghoul Stars? noone would think to check there...

You could have the rogue Mechanicum own an Ark Mechanicus or something bigger than that and they could be plowing through your area of space looking for STCs and are asking for protection from any nearby Imperial Forces, luckily you got to answer 1st and have access to all those newly recovered Mechanicum goodies.

Ghoul stars sounds cool... I honestly haven't done that much research on locations... there is the EoT where good fighting is at... Armageddon where we smashed some orks and then that silly smurf part where the nids are... with the good bit in the middle where Terra is located... is there more to geography than that?

Seriously though I haven't become really familiar with the geography yet... so ghoul stars sounds cool...

Hrm... I kinda would like to say that there is an ark in residence... go big or go home kind of deal... I really want it to feel like another great crusade in the making... a force big enough to show favorably next to the  legions of the heresy but not showing up in full force... and then I can say that the contingents I bring to a fight (game) are just the outlying scout detachments or sent on a special mission to retrieve important data etc. I want the lore to feel like there is a massive storm of holy wrath the like of which either hasn't been seen in thousands of years or even never before, brewing behind what seems like a small disturbance... a true tip of the iceberg set up.

Maybe I'm thinking too grandiose though...

In regards to 40k Geography, this might help

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110121215145/warhammer40k/images/0/04/The_Warhammer_40k_Galaxy_Map.jpg

And in regards to numbering more than Girlyman's 1000 only Marines Codex... that's totally fine... heck My Crusade is running on 500 Marines, not including Chapter Serfs, and we are supposed to be 1 Minor Crusade out of supposedly 10, so and Emperor knows how many other Marines the other Crusades have! If your Crusade has amassed enough men to number 10,000 then that's fine as well, just make sure to report to the High Marshal about it :p

Olraom Vod ! (Welcome Brother, in Mando'a)

I can propose you to name your crusade: "Haaranovor A'Den" (which means Hidden Fury in Mando'a)

Will you make a conversion of any kind of Mando'a troopers? (This gave me my inspiration on how I will make my Dual Jetpack Gunner Vanguards!!! Now I need small jetpack with rockets xD)

Olraom Vod!

I'm gonna stick with High Gothic for the crusade name to be atmospheric to 40K... I would be more likely to work in Mando'a as storm troopers with my eventual IG army.

It is fun to find out that someone else knows where my screen name comes from laugh.png

Pssh...Star Wars and their False Emperor. tongue.png msn-wink.gif(jk, jk, Star Wars is awesome!)

On a serious note: I like the ideas you're coming up with. It's different, but different is good. We can't all have "We're Crusading to take World X from enemy Y!" happy.png

It is fun to find out that someone else knows where my screen name comes from laugh.png

And here I was thinking you were Italian.

Not sure where you came up with Italian from... anyways. The madalore was the warlord ruler of the mandalorians in early republic star wars which I was quite the fan of before being brought to the light of the true faith and joining the great crusade.

Not sure where you came up with Italian from..

Here, say it with me, "Man-doe-lor-reh" and roll the "r" in "lor". Very Italian.

Besides, before their was the Republic, there were Romans. ;)

And here I was thinking you were Italian.

YOU HERETIK!!!

Mandalorian are the race of Boba Fett and Jango Fett. (they are not truly mandalorian, the family of boba got killed by Mandalorian and then the Mandalorian Commando took him and he grown with Mandalorians)

And has Manda said, the Mandalore is the Leader of the Mandalorian.

To hell the false emperor! XD

• 7 months later...

Hrssst.... scrrrrreeeeeee.... barrrumm.. crack!

(camera view shows deep red hood to blanketing either side of screen and a plethora of mechidendrites filling lower portion connecting to a archaic terminal just flickering to life)

+deepest reverence oh great machine forged long ago in worship of the Omnissiah in manifest perfection! It is only to reassume your rightful duties once more that we awake you from your slumber.+

(Camera changes to rest behind shoulder of reclusiarch) continuing erratic buzzing from Magos at console of ancient machine spirit. Reclusiarch stands silent.

(Slow fade in of high gothic choir in back round)

Shot pans round to show room half full of silent resplendent Templars with a host of singing cherubs flying over head trail in banners and incense. The other half of the room is full of Ad Mechanism personal buzzing some ancient litany to the worshipful machine being awakened...

End shot.

There now its not the foul witchcraft of threadomancy it is sufficiently explained as waking an ancient machine. *Insert silly emoticon*

Anyways felt like it was time to get this rolling and hopefully get some photos of stuff up in the next day or two.

Plan is full army over view complete with wip and pile of sprues to one side. with some close ups of individual models and or units. Followed by list of what I got and a list of what I have yet to build. Followed by asking for help with what would be good to flesh ot all out into a larger force. Goal is, one day, to have a large and diverse enough collection to be able to field whatever list I feel like. I'd like to hit a minimum of 5000 points with list options from kill team size to appoc. with variety (and some inquisition and IG detachments painted as chapter serfs/great crusade 2.1 imperial army attached to BT see above fluff)

With a side note of "home" where family lives and I spend some time when not rambling, is only a 5 hour drive from miniwargaming so I'd love to have a decently painted army to represent all us Templars well since we haven't seen their tables since early 6th ed before we got rolled and that was a missile spam list with lots o cyclones that got fairly roundly beaten due to bad rolls and some tactical mistakes. So yeah, I feel a bit of a honor grudge to settle there.

P.S. will edit and add more Zeal and emoticons in a bit when at my computer instead of on the mobile device.

Hm... assuming your location is correct, you don't live too far from me. 

From what I've played of 6th and 7th (practically the same thing in terms of gameplay (especially for us BTs)), lots of missiles still works quite well. I still always make sure to run a full squadron of typhoon landspeeders, which have always taken huge swaths of my opponent's army out if they don't kill them in the first turn. However, still take some melta for those higher AV vehicles, and a vindicator is always a must. My current army list has drop pods in it as well, so it makes it harder for my opponents to be able to concentrate on those hard hitting elements that I keep in my backfield. 

Your fluff seems very intriguing, and seems to be a bit like more in that you have a very large force under your command. However, our reasons are extremely different, and with yours being more concentrated, it should turn out to be very different!

Okay and I'm back again! Sadly I am now back with family in SW Michigan since my internship in the Seattle area wrapped up end of last month.

I don't have any land speeders or vindicators so I know I need to get those...

BUT, here are some pictures.

An army overview shot complete with sprue piles and boxed kit

Army overview 12/16/2014

An overview of my allied detachment currently

Allied detachments 12/16/2014

Some other stuff I can't remember what order I put picture links in the editor in... including a VERY WIP storm talon conversion, a close up shot of my pathfinder minis that I use as stand in inquisitiors, my WIP honor guard/sword brethren, and some other stuff... also somewhere there is a picture of some fellows who just seemed fun including a powermaul/lascannon and a stack of HQ's waiting for ETL4

Very WIP storm talon 12/16/2014

Special characters 12/16/2014

Inquisitors 12/16/2014

HG WIP 12/16/2014

Waiting For ETL4 12/16/2014

• 1 month later...

Howdy all,

I've decided that I would rather like to have a painted army and since I don't seem to make progress without a deadline the plan is to paint a small batch every week and post completed pictures here on Sundays. Along with a WIP shot of what I intend to paint in the coming weeks. I'm not as much of an artisan as some of our vaulted members here but at least the models will be painted to tabletop quality and look much better than the grey hoard I currently have.

So without further ado here is the plan for this week:

WIP 1 18 2015

To be finished by next Sunday.

Welp Scraping in on the edge of Sunday here are the completed pictures. Not the greatest work as stated before but the are done enough to see the table top in a respectable manner.

IMG 0005

IMG 0004

IMG 0003

IMG 0002

Next up is some honor guard that are mostly done but need finishing, pictures tomorrow morning.

Archived