HH: Alpha Legion project WIP

I hadn't planned to start my work in progress thread this early but i would like some feedback before continuing the project. I wanted to try something different with my Heresy era army and after finally deciding on Alpha Legion (I'm a sucker for infiltrating tactics) was inspired by a painting method i followed here at B&C many years ago: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/155396-viva-metallica/ which i think will give the army a more 30k feel.

I've started work on the first test mini to try and refine my painting method and was hoping to get some thoughts on wither i'm on the right track or not, my main aim was to get a dark metallic blue feel with a hint of green.

gallery_24695_9630_56385.jpg

All thoughts and opinions welcome but bear in mind this is far from finished smile.png

That looks great. i am in the process of trying to figure out my AL scheme as well. did you follow the link you attached or was that done with airbrush? and how'd you get the green accents i have been having a difficult time with those

Looks cool. I have never seen a good looking viva metallica vehicle though. It always put me off the method. Good luck.

Yeah exactly what had put me off this method in the past, i tend to tackle this is 2 main ways: first up is the usual viva metallica style always appeared very clean, i'm trying to make it a bit more dirtier and secondly i'm hopefully not going to be using that many vehicle in the first place, most of the army will either deep strike or infiltrate aside from maybe some flyers.

@Betrayer41: The whole process was done with brush, undercoat black, runefang steel base coat on anything that i wanted to appear blue, a light wash of nuln oil, 3 even washes of asruman blue, very light drybrush of boltgun metal where i want the green tints, highlight the edges runefang steel, then carefully wash a couple of times those parts with thraka green.

thanks for the great feedback guys, gives me faith i'm going in the right direction :)

thanks guys, updates will be slow for the while as i'm waiting to see if a decent transfer sheet is planned for release, if not i'll have to go with the new shoulder pads but i'm not too crazy about them tbh. I'm hoping a good transfer sheet will suit me better <fingers crossed>.

I'll continue to post my test mini as i finish him and probably a whole lot of WIP conversions and kitbashes until i'm 100% sure what's happening with shoulder pads :)

• 2 months later...

Any more progress on this at all?

Shame.  Looks like it could be interesting... might have to get my metallic medium out of the drawer and toy around with it once these SH door pieces are dry.

Metallic Medium is amazing for highlighting metals too.

I've mostly just been adding a dash of VMC Silver and it works wonders for highlights.  Strong, light pigment content and very fine metallic flakes.

Archived