Alternative Templar Bits

Acebaur

Fellow Crusaders, I'll be building my Helbrecht model very soon, and I'm looking to replace the stock sword that he has modeled with something more befitting the Sword of the High Marshals. Anyone have suggestions? Looking at both GW and 3rd party bits. Right now I'm looking at the Sisters of Silence great swords, Dark Angel kit swords, grey knights swords, etc. Suggestions?

Tilt shields/ shoulder shields for Templars

Hi all - I'm looking for help with tilt shields / shoulder shields to Templar-up the Dark Imperium Primaris models. So far I've got a reasonable stash of Grey Knight terminator shoulder shields, and very limited stock of Bretonnian small shields. I'm going to have to press mold more of these as I don't have nearly enough.

Anyone have a realiable source of small heater-shaped shields they would like to share? Ideally I'd be looking at size of approx. 8mm high and 4mm wide, so pretty small.

I'm happy to share the suppliers that I have found to be useful starting with these shields, which are great for vehicles, dreadnoughts etc. :

http://www.eccentricminiatures.com/retems0009.html

Thanks in advance!

Edited by JAG Templar

Fellow Crusaders, I'll be building my Helbrecht model very soon, and I'm looking to replace the stock sword that he has modeled with something more befitting the Sword of the High Marshals. Anyone have suggestions? Looking at both GW and 3rd party bits. Right now I'm looking at the Sisters of Silence great swords, Dark Angel kit swords, grey knights swords, etc. Suggestions?

Grey knight terminator swords look good, or the EC sword (altough it would be weird if you use the EC on the same army).

Scibor miniatures has small Templar shields and there are some in the BT upgrade box as well.

The Scibor site should be linked in the first post for you of this thread

Scibor miniatures has small Templar shields and there are some in the BT upgrade box as well.

The Scibor site should be linked in the first post for you of this thread

Thanks for your response. I should have said in my original post that I'm looking for plain shields so that I can paint my own crusade markings on it.

Spell crow have some similar to the plain grey knights ones but they don't seem to be the best quality - probably because they are resin.

I think I'll stick with a mixture of Grey Knights and Bretonnian. Perhaps even try to Milliput/GS my own.

Also just noticed that Cataphractii Terminators have quite nice plain ones.

• 4 months later...

Ok, I ordered the Armorcast maltese crosses, but upon inspection and size comparison, the medium size is actually a few mm smaller than the old GW shoulder pad cross. I saw the ones available from 3V, but I have no idea what their size is. Does ANYONE have another site to get true-size shoulder pad crosses? I hate ordering from ebay, but will if I have to. My freehand sucks badly, and I just got exponentially better at applying decals.

I have the VVV ones, do these pics help?

WP 20171114 12 36 17 Rich

They are clear circular transfers with the crosses on them, the large cross has a diameter overall of 11mm, the smaller cross about 7.5mm.
For reference, the second pic is one on my Techmarine gunner, if you look at my LRC in the Knightfall thread, I used the large white ones on that.

I don't recommend their red ones, the red's a bit too orange for our needs, but looks ok on black backgrounds.

• 2 months later...

Never used them and the preview image is abhorrent, but could be what you're looking for:

http://www.ginfritter.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1113

**It's a slow burn project but I am working on a decal sheet akin to the FW one that is OOP that I am going to get printed by Fallout Hobbies (I already asked them if it's cool, they said yes) once my schedule settles down a bit**

Yeah, I found several sites that offer decal sheets with preview pics of that 'quality.'  If I can't read the bloody thing, I'm not eager to buy it either. :ermm:

I wonder if quotes tread on trademark territory.  If so, I'm not exactly likely to find Templar-specific text.

If only I got my hands on that FW sheet.  Though that was around long before I gave decals any thought at all.  I always hated working with them back in the day, before the process was refined with products like microsol/microset and higher quality decals.

Edited by Firepower

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Adding links that had been submitted to the resources topic:

Maltese cross decal range - Decal sheets by Armorcast with chapter badges in various shapes and colors

Fire Forge Games Shields

Shapeways:

Spellcrow

Decals at Veni Vidi Vici

Some of these are already listed here.

• 1 month later...

Brothers, after watching the Helsreach finale for the nth time, I have a mind to build up a similar Grimaldus. Do you have any pointers for the required bits ? I'm not sure which ones have a physical equivalent and which ones are just 3D - mainly the backpack, torso, helmet and left shoulder pad.

There is a Death Company shoulder pad with a skull that should fit the bill, if you remove the blood drop on the forehead of the skull. There is also a skull/laurel shoulder pad in the Command Squad box that could do the trick.

The backpack is pretty easy, there is one from the Tactical Marine box with a big skull on it. No crossed bones though.

The helmet is easy, Reiver skull helmet as mentioned in the post above.

(I made one myself, from a MkV/VII helmet and jaw/teeth from Dreadnought kit "skull iron cross". It was a pain in the ass and only came out only decent, not recommended!)

The torso is a bit tricky. One that comes to mind is the Company Champion torso, replace the shield on the Aquila with a skull. The "cathedral" feel of the Company Champion torso fits a chaplain perfectly IMO.

Thank you both, that's quite helpful already.
As for the crossed bones, it should be doable using this kind of bits : https://www.cfmhnsale.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=356679.

There's also the skulls on each side of the backpack, where the exhausts usually are, but skulls bits are easy to find.

The girdle looks a lot like the Emperor's Champion's.