E Company of the 7th Levalloisian Life guards WIP

our_baz
Go to solution Solved by our_baz,

I need to remember that there more orders than FRFSRF, Take Aim and Bring it Down!. Combining of FRFSRF, Take Aim being issued and Volley Fire Stratagem on a 20 man blob was quite assuming for the sheer amount of dice you can roll.

I tend to cycle through a few orders again and again too. Found the maelstrom objective to issue however many different orders in a turn really made me look at the others though, seeing when they would actually be more useful (if at all).

Sounds like a good battle though, well done for the victory!

Yeah this bit me in the backside in my next game (Bat Rep will follow I promise). But you learn more from your mistakes than doing things correctly.

A good victory baz, show those perfidious xenos who's boss! :thumbsup:

Thanks @WF. It was closer than it looked by the end. My opponent made quite a few whopping mistakes that really helped me out.

• 2 months later...

I haven't updated this in a while, thought it best to as I have been / I'm taking a sabbatical from my Guard for the foreseeable (not entirely sure when I will return to them).

This is only a small WIP update, I've finished a HVY Weapon team. Not my best work, but I do really enjoy painting these old Mordain models (the colour scheme is just a slog to paint!). I'll be lurking around around the barracks I'm not deserting completely.

As always C&C Welcome

gallery_72518_9307_184949.jpg

Why the hiatus?

I have to admit I'm using mine less, as my local store has quickly tired of guard. However there are plenty of Eldar and Tau players around, so I don't think I'll have to shelve them for long.

Paint job looks great! White + Red is a pain to paint though I understand that.

Why the hiatus?

I have to admit I'm using mine less, as my local store has quickly tired of guard. However there are plenty of Eldar and Tau players around, so I don't think I'll have to shelve them for long.

Paint job looks great! White + Red is a pain to paint though I understand that.

I'm taking a break mainly as I've got a good ~1800 pts painted, which gives me a good choice of troops etc to pick from. My other projects are no where near in a useable state for the tabletop. I'm turning my attention to these other projects so I can get them in a useable state.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Life Guard

My List

Brigade Detachment (Mordian)

HQ:

Company Commander (Las pistol, power sword, Korov Aquilla)

Company Commander (Boltgun, Chainsword, Laurels of Command, via CP)

Troops:

2x Inf Sqaud (Plasma, Vox)

Inf Squad (Plasma)

Inf Squad (Grenade Launcher)

Elites:

Ogryns x 3

Command Squad (Regimental Standard)

Astropath

Heavy:

LRBT x2 (Battle Cannon, 3x Hvy Bolter)

Hvy Weap Team (3x Mortar)

Bassy (Hvy Bolter)

Death Guard

Lord of Contagion

Noxious Blightbringer

Plaguecaster

Poxwalkers (10)

Poxwalkers (20)

Plague Marines (5) x3

Blight Drone

Blight Hauler

Deployment:

gallery_72518_9307_461503.jpg

I tried to give cover as best I could. I placed one INF squad on the left flank ready to take the left hand objective, with support from the Orgyns. I place 2 INF squad plus the CC close together so to blob up, then form a picket line to engage the traitors. After set-up I won the roll off, the opponent failed to seize so I went first.

T1

I blobbed up the right hand INF squads then moved them up into flashlight range of the 20 strong pox walker squad. The LRBT’s moved slighted to give them better line of sight, other than that nothing else happened. I focused heavy weapons fire from the Bassy and LRBT on the Blight Hauler as I thought this was the biggest threat to my amour, I only managed to drop 5 wounds from it. The LRBT lit up the Plague marines with 18 Heavy bolter shots, but poor rolling and disgustingly resilient did nothing. My mortars and small arms fire focussed on the 20 strong pox walkers, the Mortars killed nil. The INF blob then opened up on the poxwalkers, only the front 2 ranks of the 20 strong blob were in flashlight range. I pulled FRFSRF +take aim+Volley Fire stratagem. In the end sent 14 of the shambling mess back to foul crypt that created them, I was feeling optimistic at this point.

On the Death guard turn, the pox walkers all advanced forwards to get closer to my lines. The bloat drone came within range of my 20 strong blob. 10 auto hits later, half the squad had disappeared. I spent to 2CP to play Insane Bravery so the squad held. I realised I had targeted the wrong vehicle at this point, the Bloat Drone had to die. The Blight Hauler only knocked 3 wounds of one LRBT. The final act of shooting came from the Plague Marines via their plasma and blight launchers removed all but one of my Ogryns. Things were balanced at this point, my next round of shooting would be pivotal.

T2

gallery_72518_9307_429352.jpg

(Photo Midway T2)

The Bloat Drone must die. So I ignored the Blight Hauler, as I now realised the Bloat Drone was a big threat to my INF. So I opened up with the Bassy, then the 2 LRBT Battle Cannons on it. After 6 Bassy shots, 10 Battle Cannon shots only 7 wounds were removed from the annoying Demon engine (stupid INV save, and disgustingly resilient). The next issue was the pox walkers closing in on my lines, if they were to get into CC they could start regenerating numbers. Both my INF squads moved into rapid fire flashlight range, with only 15 left I felt confident. One squad got the FRFSRF +take aim+Volley Fire stratagem combo, and the other only got FRFSRF. Well, I can’t precisely remember how many shots I got, but it was a lot. However only 5 died (stupid disgustingly resilient). The mortars then opened up, and again no kills. I now pumped 18 heavy bolter shots from the 2 LRBT, 2 more died. All in all, not good. But, I still had numbers at this point.

In the Death Guard turn, the pox walkers shambled up into charging distance, as did the plague marines. The still standing bloat drone moved towards my command squad and proceed to make it evaporate in the subsequent shooting phase. In the pyskic phase, bad things happened. My left hand INF squad got hit with Curse of the Leaper from the Plague caster who rolled at 7+ (+1 mortal wound), this killed 6 of them. Bolter fire and morale took them down to 2 models remaining, I failed morale but only 1 fled! More worryingly my opponent had played “The Dead Walk Again” Stratagem, as allowing pox walkers to regenerate if any model dies within 7” of them, meaning their ranks got inflated by 6 models. In the centre the other pox walkers charged my lines as did the Plague marines. The pox walkers killed 4 in CC and subsequently swelled their numbers by 4. The Plague Marine killed all but one of the squad, morale did the rest. Finally the Blight Hauler reduced the damaged LRBT to 3 wounds, making it useless. Things were not looking good for my Life Guard

T3

gallery_72518_9307_865464.jpg

(DG Movement)

Time to counter attack. Colonel Prins moved himself and his INF squad into a firing position, to mow down the heretics and foul daemons. The Bloat Drone was in my back lines and was a massive threat still with even with three wounds left, the Bassy had the job of deleting it. I rolled double one for the shots, just great!. I wounded it, it failed its save, I rolled for three wounds, three disgustingly resilient saves. My luck was just as bad with the rest of shooting, In all I killed one plague marine 5 pox walkers. To top it all off my Astropath attempted to cast Nightshroud on the INF squad only to have his brain melt to perils of the warp. At this point the fat lady was getting warmed up.

The Death continued their relentless advance, with the pox walkers again getting within charging range. To be honest it wasn’t require in the end. Fire from the bloat drone killed my Mortar Teams, the combine fire from the Plague Marines killed 5 of the INF Squad. One LRBT was popped by by a krak missile and multi-melta fire removed 6 wounds from the over one. At this point I waved the white flag.

Well I learned some lessons the hard way there. Knowning your enemy always helps, Allowing the Bloat drone to live on the first turn was a mistake, as was advancing my INF headlong into the enemy wasn’t overly smart too. But, the Death Guard are really hard to kill, granted the opponent couldn’t stop rolling 5+ for disgustingly resilient but still, they are a hard nut to crack.

Another thing, this was a 60 PL game. Now, I rocked up at my FLGS with a 1000 pt list, not knowing that they play PL (as I haven’t played there in a year). My opponents list was created using PL mine using points. Now I could of changed things around with my list adding extras to squad etc etc, but I chose not to. I think this put me a small disadvantage to begin with. The morale of the story is don’t bring a points based list to a PL game even if the PL are the same.

Edited by our_baz

There's definitely a mismatch if you're using different pointing systems, but yes knowing your enemy is the best way to defeat him. I think the table terrain wasn't particularly good either, you need a good selection of terrain makes for more interesting games as well as better ones :) The most important thing is to learn from games and there's always more to learn from defeat :lol:;)

Nice rep Baz! :tu:

Sounds like my first encounter with DG too! Bloat Drones are tough, pack a punch and won't die! Similarly my opponent made 15/17 disgustingly resilient rolls on this pox walkers one turn :(

So now you've learnt your lessons when can expect the outcome report on the counter offensive as you regain that ground? ;)

• 3 years later...

A return from the warp and time for some experimentation. Although I love the look of my IG the paint scheme is rather draining. Multiple coats of red and white to get a smooth finish etc, which I've always found takes ages. I've been looking at ways to speed up my painting but not my dropping standards (the usual conundrum we all face). So after watching a video on You Tube I've gotten the idea to experiment with contrast paints and a crude zenithal prime.

So black prime followed by drybrush with white trying to replicate a zenithal from a can or air brush, so north to south movement and being more aggressive on the top most areas.

gallery_72518_9307_236309.jpg

Followed this up with first coat of contrast paints. Flesh Tearers red on gun casing, Blood Angels Red on jacket, Apothecary white gloves / trouser, Guilliman Flesh on skin. The reds I was happy with the effect, but needed a deeper tint. Skin ok'ish. The white was a real disappointment, I wasn't expecting a washed out grey effect.

gallery_72518_9307_228653.jpg

I've touched over the white with Grey Seer and tried again, still not white enough. I think in the next attempt I will try Grey Seer, drybrush over that then use the contrast. Then if needs be a further drybrush with with. I apply a second coat to the reds (really happy with the effect here and flesh which is still ok. Model need some tidying up in places. But I'm happy so far just needs a little more tweaking.

gallery_72518_9307_3787.jpg

Further experimentation tonight

Edited by our_baz

I think the red looks quite nice. Contrast paints are pretty useful but need the right use, metal models with their detail should be a good opportunity for them. My main issue is retroactively using them on existing schemes as it doesn't match up as well so I'll be interested to see how your experiments unfold baz :tu:

Yeah I know were you are going with the colours, I've been doing this army so long now that the shade of red for the red coats has changed over time. Originally the jackets were GW Blood Red which is now cast into  mists of time along with Goblin Green. I'll experiment and see were things are at.

First two are done. Below is photo of the two done so far with contrast next to comrade painted in the "classic" method. There is a difference, there is much more definition on the contrast models in terms of light and dark. I'm less happy with the skin, think it need a lighter base coat follow by the zenithial. The contrast seems to pick up every little dimple from the casting process it seems.

gallery_72518_9307_254413.jpg

I think it works, might be worth experimenting with a bit of highlighting to bring the red up a bit more to match the classic scheme? As a heavy wash I'm not sure contrast works well for the skin here either, but it's not much to paint in the more traditional manner :smile.:

Yeah the skin is pants. I'm learning (slowly!) that some of the contrast paints work better than others. G'man Flesh is one of the weaker performers. I painted goblin skin (for another GW product line that cant be shown here) by the same method, but the green works fantastically well in comparison. As the saying goes everyday is a school day.

Further experimentation for the skin areas last night. Rakarh Flesh base, followed by the zenithal white highlight then G'Man flesh contrast. I much prefer the look to the previous test models. I've shown a shot the back of one of the models to show the gradient you get.

gallery_72518_9307_386492.jpg

• 7 months later...

So I'm back and needed a little palate cleanse after painting SM for a while.

I'm playing around with my painting techniques still and playing around with contrast paints again in a similar fashion to my previous posts but with a change to the base coats. This time I went for a grey seer base followed by a zenithal of white scar, to try and get a subtle gradient but keep a bright red.

So far layed down the white contrast on the legs, Gman flesh contrast for the skin and B'angels Red contrast for the tunic see below

Thanks for looking.

large.IMG_20220921_073700.jpg.a5370313df8bdbf1a7703edf30539040.jpglarge.IMG_20220921_073631.jpg.54dc85cd71430f8cacd37073b9f77bc5.jpg 

Edited by our_baz