E Company of the 7th Levalloisian Life guards WIP

our_baz
Go to solution Solved by our_baz,

• 4 weeks later...

Couple of small updates of some WIP's. My life guards will be having some Inquisitorial Allies (What that really means is they are watching what they do!) Found this model in an old model case from ~'94/95. Gave it a strip in my laboratory and started on it, Early stages mind you.

gallery_72518_9307_426620.jpg

Also started the Leeman Russ Shield of Amun for the Company which is entered in the Big Guns Challenge.

gallery_72518_9307_843934.jpg

gallery_72518_9307_350038.jpg

Further update, lot of momentum this week, probably helped by a two week break over xmas. I was going to save this next project until after I complete my big guns challenge, however I couldn't resist doing starting some test models.

So to set this up, I was going through my stuff at my folks house in the summer and came across my old figure case. Inside along with a load of other retro stuff was a Mordian Iron Guard squad. That got me thinking. Always loved these sculpts by Alan Perry from the first time I saw them 20 years ago. So I wanted to use them for my guard. I couldn't rationalise starting a new army as most are now OOP and getting them from ebay would cost

#Update#

Big Guns WIP update. Reasonable pleased with paint job. Actually really happy with the weathering job on the exhaust to be fair!

gallery_72518_9307_222408.jpg

gallery_72518_9307_886358.jpg

Some small progress on my test models. The white on the Iron guard looks ok, on the Ogryn it looks streaky not flat (i'll upload a better photo at some point) regardless of how many coats I apply. Should I invest in new paint? Or am I doing something wrong technique wise.

gallery_72518_9307_168913.jpg

Cheers

Baz

The details on the tank pop nicely, it's going to look great when done :D The infantry looks nice too (bonus points for old school paints), I can't see any streaking on the Ogryn though? Might just be my eyesight! For white make sure it's thinner coats and build them up slowly - give each coat time to dry. A good, clean brush also goes a long way :)

That could be it, that's reasonably old for a paint but it all depends on the pot. A good pot seals properly and the paint lasts longer, but a rubbish pot has it die before its time :( The current GW whites are good, especially Ceramic White as a base colour, I've got some good whites with it even over black.

The trick I use with white is use a light grey base then multiple layers of watered down white. I have found with my white that if I use just water it can clump so I invested in some thinning medium from Vallejo and so far that has been perfect.

The age of the paint should not really matter. Personally I have pots that go back over 15 years and are still good.

For white clothing don't forget that the recesses should be shaded and there are 2 ways that you could achieve this...

1. Paint the white on then go back over the recesses with a light grey wash (time intensive :( ) 

2. Paint the light grey base then use the dry brush method to apply the white as this will mean that the recesses will stay grey (lots quicker :) )

Method 2 can also be used for the ogryn flesh. Mine will get a base of bronzed flesh, a Agrax earthshade wash then dry brushed using bronzed flesh and working up to elf flesh as a highlight. This is how I did this giant (picture not fantastic but you get the idea).

Sorry I have managed to miss this thread Baz!

As said the tank looks great. Very striking lines. How do you do it, and what brush's etc are you using?

The infantry look good and the Mordian fit nicely. Ogryn look good too and I'm wondering how to best incorporate them into my colour scheme too.

As for white though, I always struggle to get it right myself. Even with new paint.

Elmo use the method you describe. Fortress grey base, with skull white over. Ill add dome lahmain medium to the white see if that helps. Also thought the new fitadel paints were better than the old esp for yellow an white.

Scatmandoo, to get the lines I use a sharp pencil and a flexible ruler. I line in with a detail brush then use either a large/standard brush to fill depending on size

#Update#

Uploading this has given me an excuse to play with my new toy!!

Got to the bottom of the dodgy white. It was just a dodgy old bottle, beyond saving so bought a new one. After a couple of coats and its much better.

Drybrushed blood red over the shirt (thanks for the advice Elmo) soooo much quicker. Anyway here is progress to date. Will have further update on my tank by the end of the week. Comments always welcome

gallery_72518_9307_218203.jpg

gallery_72518_9307_452258.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of updates as I've finally finshed some projects.

Finished couple of test models for my Orgyns and Platoon in Ceremonial Uniform. Also I first part of my Inquisitorial Watchdogs for my life guards.

gallery_72518_9307_653328.jpg

Also finished the first Leeman Russ for the Life Guards The Shield of Amun (Entry for the Big Guns Challenge)

gallery_72518_9307_6761.jpg

C&C welcome as always

If I may be so bold as to offer a suggestion? Mud. Those tracks look nicely weathered but running a, what, 40 ton piece of armour over the ground is bound to churn-up the soil something awful.

I would suggest covering the tracks and anything close to the tracks in Stirland Mud (I find it much better to use rather than mixing up my own), making sure the bottom sides of the tank get the most attention. After that, drybrush the mud that gets on the paint Steel Legion Drab to show that it is dried. Some of it should be covered with gloss varnish to show its freshness. Apply liberally :smile.:!

Also, as a side note, I've been dumbfounded by your tank and light armour scheme. Whoever thought it would merge so well with urban zones (I guess the Scandinavians)? Anyway, your idea has piqued my curiosity greatly in splinter camouflage so much so that my tanks will be painted the same way- with different colours, mind.

Thank you for the inspiration!

@Mehman. Thanks for positive comments, glad you like it and you are going to try it yourself.

Always though about adding further weathering to the tracks, as the tanks are used to urban / hive fighting always though mud would be at a premium. Should check out FW they might have some weathering powder up to the job.

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't posted an up date in a while. Cleared reasonable back log of kits and spures that need making. So now have a ogryn squad assembled as well as scions, new ccs, advisors, 5 psykers, pcs for ceremonial uniform platoon and part kit bash of a priest.

Also done some painting finished half of one of my ceremonial uniform squad, started astropath for blood and guts challenge not much to show other than black over a black undercoat, will post update when there is more to show. Thoughts as always appreciated

gallery_72518_9307_579622.jpg

Edited by our_baz