Carcharodons

War Head

Hi guys,

On a bit of a hiatus from my Iron Warriors as I just wasn't happy with the paint scheme I'd done.

One "colour" I am comfortable painting however is Black, and dark Grey. 

I have read a lot of the Badab War stuff and the Carcharodons really stood out for me, what with their brutal nature.

With that in mind I knocked up a single marine and painted him last night.

The pictures make him look darker, but he is actually very dark Grey.

I have their transfer sheet and am off work tomorrow so will attempt to apply a few while looking after my daughter...

Interested in your thoughts though guys...

14114528130_fd6fb8ed7d_b.jpg

thank you chaps,

i primed black, covered it in vma black, gave it a good coat of vma black grey, then from a 45 degree angle german grey (all done  via airbrush)

paint metals/details

then a generous wash of devlan mud/nuln oil/lahmian medium in ratio 1:1:1 (the stuff works miracles)

highlight metals and job done!

Beautiful. Thanks. If I can get an effect even 50% as good as you have, I'm laughing. 

For some reason I had thought Carcharadons were a light grey/silver colour. 

PS - Is there an unpainted laurel on his left knee?

If i can do it, anyone can do it :D

the general consensus is that they are light grey, and you'll see most armies painted that way (including MachinePriests amazing ones on here). However I went with the Lexicanum description of dark Grey, which I think makes them a little more brooding, brutal in nature.

Yea there's a laurel on that knee and something else on the other knee I need to pick out... he's not far from finished and I reckon I could get him done through tomorrow... :)

Yea there's a laurel on that knee and something else on the other knee I need to pick out... he's not far from finished and I reckon I could get him done through tomorrow... smile.png

I'm sorry, I hadn't realised that he wasn't done.

Absolutely love the pose.  Inspirational.  I've got one of those FW fists waiting in my box, and I'm going to shamelessly filch that pose, if'n you don't mind, for one of my Flesh Tearers.  Also ordering some Reavers with my next order, so even better!  Are the legs just one of the static Mk3 legs, or running ones?  Can't quite tell from the angle.

VMA German grey works wonders and I use it to highlight just about anything black, but mixing Devlan Mud in with your black wash intrigues me.  Can we get more pics to show the effect of the wash?

Bit dark for my taste. Prefer the more of a mid grey personally.

Can't deny the finish is top quality and the face is amazing :tu:

Absolutely stunning. In that get up, even members of the First Legions wouldn't want to come up against him...

I think the darker style of armour will really work once it's contrasted with the white of the transfers. Hope you get pictures of that up for us to drool over soon!

Edit: Bad Grammar, just woke up, sorry.

Absolutely love the pose.  Inspirational.  I've got one of those FW fists waiting in my box, and I'm going to shamelessly filch that pose, if'n you don't mind, for one of my Flesh Tearers.  Also ordering some Reavers with my next order, so even better!  Are the legs just one of the static Mk3 legs, or running ones?  Can't quite tell from the angle.

VMA German grey works wonders and I use it to highlight just about anything black, but mixing Devlan Mud in with your black wash intrigues me.  Can we get more pics to show the effect of the wash?

thanks everyone, appreciate it. glad you all like him!

the legs are from the MK3 champion/bearer set and this is the bearer's body/legs which is 1 piece.

ive got a few guys to do today so will show you before and after re: black/brown wash. It's something I picked up from Mark Bedford and have used it ever since! Works wonders.

PS. go ahead and steal away!

thanks again guys, appreciate the kind words.

really enjoying this paint scheme, as it's very easy for me!

I did a bit of work on my first MK3 guy today, and tried to keep to a very limited palette! I still have some way to go on him, including helm and bolter... both of which i'd appreciate peoples' opinions on? what colour do you think for the helmet grill and bolter casing?

applied some decals... will add a few more cultish looking one's in due course...

alas... I digress...

the pictures of aforementioned MK3 guy and next guy in line 

14119631038_9f42e20e98_b.jpg

14119664370_94c8b2f4d4_b.jpg

14304382632_cf8a5d43a8_b.jpg

Cool really like the weathering and shade of grey, but il stick to my lighter interpretation smile.png will you be adding gore?

thanks Squeaky, I will be.. but will doing a bit of testing first before I put it on the guys as I don't want to ruin what I've done so far. Will be having a look at yours shortly to see your interp!

The White / ashgray faceplate on Charchardons is a must i Think msn-wink.gif looks awesome and like the chiped paint on em!

I'd second a bone/white grill for contrast's sake, over, say, a metallic one.

Maybe you could give the impression of shark's teeth by painting the raised areas between the grill slits, rather than painting the whole faceplate?

I'd second a bone/white grill for contrast's sake, over, say, a metallic one.

Maybe you could give the impression of shark's teeth by painting the raised areas between the grill slits, rather than painting the whole faceplate?

Motion carried! War head you have no choice

thanks fellas, it appears the decision has been made!

will find an old mk3 to test on first... so i don't bodge it all up!

Archived