[HH1.0] 30k Alpha Legion Tactics

hivey

My problem is i have bought 2 sets of em :wink:

But then i can play them count as seekers or vets or do i think wrong?

yeah either of those is perfectly fine and actually very fitting, personally I spread my HH bits about various characters/squad leaders to act as artificer armour. All the bits are really, really nice for any of those options, so have fun with them.

Using them as artificer armor is also a great way, especially the ones with a power dagger sculpted on them.  I ended up using the Alpha Legion torsos to represent my artificer armor Sgts, because they are a bit more unique.  I know FW wants us to throw away all the torsos from the marines we buy and buy the conversion sets, but I'm not crazy enough to do that.

Hey all, probably a really obviously question, but wanted everyone's take on it.

Using Alpahrius' "one of many" rule, can he be hidden in Tac Squad Rhino? Given that he has the bulky special rule, and the OoM rule states 'as long as there is sufficient capacity within for him' and a Tac Squad is minimum 10 marines, it sounds like he couldn't fit, as he takes the space of two marines. The transport would need to have only 9 marines in it, as he replaces one of them, and then space for his apparently bulky size (until they disembarked and he revealed himself).

I'm kinda hopeing that as long as he remains 'hidden' in the unit, in the Rhino, he's fine. Making the rule more useable.

• 1 month later...

New to 30k, so I apologize if I've missed this, but is there a way to combine Alpha Legion and Blackshields in an army?

My understanding is that Shattered Legions don't allow Blackshields, so I'm not sure if there's another way? I'm coming back to the hobby after having not played since 40k v2, so I'm not sure if I can just take an AL detachment and BS detachment and call it good, or...?

I wouldn't call "By the Emperor's (or the Warmaster's) Command" no problem! :)

Can't do the detachment shenanigans that was in 7th Ed 40k. You're only allowed a single Primary Detachment, plus an Allied Detachment (where permitted). In your case, you could take Alpha Legion as Primary and Blackshields as Allies, but you're going to want to keep then apart on the battlefield.

• 5 weeks later...

With melta-bombs regaining their old status, is anyone more inclined to run Recon Marines or Breachers?  I've always been favorably inclined towards Alpha Legion Breachers with a Vigilator, and giving them melta-bombs seems to make them an even bigger mid-field threat/speedbump, but am I making an already probably too expensive unit even more expensive?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna be taking part in a narrative campaign soon that requires a 2,500 point list with no named characters, no superheavies, no Lords of War, and no primarchs.

So my question to you fine hydras is, do any of you have any 2,500 lists that DON'T have Dyant or Alpharius in them?

Edited by CaptainTenacity

Alpha Legion excels at making the most out of 'generic' by stacking Mutable Tactics and combining them with other USR.

What's the narrative ?

Will the list be allowed to change between missions or will it evolve in size ?

Will there be custom missions which require certain units or will it be the standard AoD missions, etc ?

Also, what units do you have available ?

No solid narrative that I know of yet.

The list will not be changing. 2500pt regular and 1250 ZM lists needed.

No custom missions, all Age of Darkness standards.

I have everything in the AOD list except for superheavies, primarchs or Lords of War. I presume the former refers to Mastodons, etc.

Edited by CaptainTenacity

I'm gonna be taking part in a narrative campaign soon that requires a 2,500 point list with no named characters, no superheavies, no Lords of War, and no primarchs.

So my question to you fine hydras is, do any of you have any 2,500 lists that DON'T have Dyant or Alpharius in them?

Preator with paragon blade, digital weapons and the usual stuff.

20x tacticals with additional CCW and vexilla, artificial armour, Pfist on the sarge

20x tacticals with additional CCW and vexilla, artificial armour, Pfist on the sarge

15x Assault squad with 2x plasma pistols, thunder hammer, meltabomb, artifical armour and plasma pistol on the sarge

3x apothecaries, two with artifical armour and one with jump pack, the jump pack one goes with assault squad and the others in a tac squad each

10x Gal vorbak using rewards of treason, deep strike them as a distraction carnifex

add a Fire raptor and a Xiphon

Thats around 2500 points, use ROW coils of the Hydra to get rewards of treason, and use Infiltration as mutable tactics. Infiltrate all your squads around the enemy deployment zone and gun him down. If he plays RG, SoH, WE or other CC oriented legion, then stay back and let him come at you and use counter charge instead as mutable tactics. Make use of fury of the legion with your 20 man tacs. Thanks to the apothecaries almost the whole army gets 5+ FNP, also you'll have tonnes of infantry for the enemy to chew through if he can. The CCW will be useful when he charges or your charge, since you use infiltration up close, there will be close combat.

Thats around 2500 points, use ROW coils of the Hydra to get rewards of treason, and use Infiltration as mutable tactics. Infiltrate all your squads around the enemy deployment zone and gun him down. If he plays RG, SoH, WE or other CC oriented legion, then stay back and let him come at you and use counter charge instead as mutable tactics. Make use of fury of the legion with your 20 man tacs. Thanks to the apothecaries almost the whole army gets 5+ FNP, also you'll have tonnes of infantry for the enemy to chew through if he can. The CCW will be useful when he charges or your charge, since you use infiltration up close, there will be close combat.

That's a really interesting list idea, thanks so much. One issue though is my own access to minis. The Gal Vorbak I can get my hands on, but the Fire Raptor and Xiphon I wouldn't. Would subbing in a Primaris Lightning and a Leviathan Dread in a drop pod in place of these work with the overall list? Or a Sicaran Venator?

Yes absolutely, podded leviathan is probably more efficient if the enemy infantry units are all in tanks, pop the tanks with the leviathan and multi charge in with your infantry squads nearby due to infiltration.

Put a Pfist on the gal vorbak sarge and you'll have S10 Pfist! :)

Primaris lightning is also good, I believe they would work as good a xiphon in that list. I find flyers a bit fluffy with AL, the infantry all sneaks up and infiltrates on foot and then when they make contact with enemy eventually they call in the air support. Not very sneaky rumbling around in tanks.

• 2 months later...

So guys, that’s it, my wallet is doomed in 2018. The FW open has previewed Alpharius and the Lerneans.

Also a really neat drill deep striking transport that I hope is not too expensive, as I’d love to use it in lieu of Rhinos.

Now I’m going to have to build some lists using both. A Kharybdis is also necessary.

Yep, my new kitchen may have to wait. Omegon rules are also apparently incoming, and I have an inkling that Alpharius is facing off against him in that preview. Why? Because why wouldn’t FW do it? Also, 2 Marine-sized models on a scenic base would be about the same price as other Primarchs.

Also, the Termite having Capacity 12 is everything I could have dreamed of and more.

It depends how badly you want the first turn, and whether the opponent also has bonuses to seize. If you absolutely must go first and they have no bonuses, a 17% chance to be seized on is better than a 75% chance to seize. There is potential here for psychological play where you bait the opponent into aggressive deployment, but you get diminishing returns from more experienced opponents.

Random question for you guys, I’m currently in the process of making fancier sergeants and a couple of units of veterans/seekers. My original plan was to use the alpha legion torsos for the various sergeants in my army, and use the headhunter torsos for the grunts.

However, FW is now throwing a lot more of the scale motif at as, with Dynat, Lerneans, and the Primarchs himself getting the snake treatment. Since these are all 2+ save models, I am considering flipping the concept and using Alpha Legion torsos to represent the veteran troops, and the headhunter torsos for my Sgts (so the scales represent artificer grade). As a bonus, this gives me a super easy way to represent power daggers, although I don’t always take them on my Sgts. Thoughts?

Edited by Withershadow

• 2 weeks later...

What are people's opinions on going first vs. 4+ reroll seize? If you win the roll off should you take it and give your opponent a small chance of seizing? Or should you let them go first and have a pretty good chance of seizing with Alpharius + Coils?

What you're facing down will have a huge impact on whether to do this or not, also it'll depend on if you have Alpharius and Coils because seizing on 3+ after deploying second can be huge and you have the added bonus of preventing them from stacking units in reserve with the -1 penalty. Ultimately it's a risk since you could bomb the roll but if you're not going against Horus or any other character with an easier seize it's probably worth just taking the first turn regardless.

My last game against Custodes was essentially won when I handed him first turn, seized with Alpharius and gunned down a Telemon, Caladius and Valdor's bodyguard on the first go around. If the way to win is be aggressive with deployment etc it's more than worth it imo

Regarding the artificer armour upgrades from the legion gear, go for it. I personally stick with it for sergeants and kept the headhunter stuff for my seekers but there's no reason it can't be done and it's not stated that veteran troops are just as nondescript as the line marines anyway irrc

• 1 month later...

So in a year, around 1.5 pages in this tactics...seems 30k in not only dead in my Country...Friend even tried to make 30k tournament for ETC 2018 in Croatia, but apparently people are not that interested to play 30k anymore.

Pitty...

So in a year, around 1.5 pages in this tactics...seems 30k in not only dead in my Country...Friend even tried to make 30k tournament for ETC 2018 in Croatia, but apparently people are not that interested to play 30k anymore.

Pitty...

Well, Alpha legion haven't had any new rules in over a year or so, so not loads to discuss!

That’s not really the reason I think, because during peak activity we would still have new folks coming in to ask the same questions again and again (go through and see how many times we rehashed reward of treason).

I think there has been a bit of a lull with 8th’s breakneck pace of releases, the last book having serious issues, and FW just now starting to preview major new releases again.

We will get new influx once the 40K Codex roll out is complete, Alpharius and Lerneans come out, and the next black book gives us new rules. I know the termite will be a big hit.