[HH1.0] 30k Alpha Legion Tactics

hivey

So it depends if you want *all* drop pods or just one Dreadclaw? All drop pods you'll need s Rite of War (Orbital Assault) to run, but just one Dreadclaw you can include as a fast attack choice (or dedicated transport for some units!)

For 1000pts core I'd suggest just the Dreadclaw and aim for the following (quickly knocked it up in battlescribe) and using the Delegatus Rite of War: Chosen Duty to get veterans as troops:

Delegatus

-Power Fist

-Power Dagger

-Refractor Field

-Melta Bombs

Veteran Squad

9 guys

2 Melta Guns

3 Combi-Melta

3 Power Mauls

Artificer armour on sergeant

Vexilla

Veteran Tactic: Machine Killers

Rhino - Pintle Multi Melta

Veteran Squad

10 guys

2 Plasma Guns

Combi Plasma/ Artificer/ Power Dagger on sergeant

Veteran Tactic: Stalkers

Terminator Squad

2x Chainfist

Thunder Hammer and Power Dagger on sergeant

Dreadclaw transport

Cheers for the suggestions! One thing I do wonder though is there are terminators and then cataphractii as an upgrade right? What models do you use for regular terminators, are they what tartaros are? (or is that a separate terminator upgrade?)

Also out of curiosity what's the best place to get the extra special weapons needed on the troop squads? (assuming MK3&4 boxes come with 1 of each special and 1 of each heavy?)

So Terminators / Cataphractii/ Tartaros are all covered by the "Legion Terminator Squad" unit entry, you just choose what armour they have for free.

Never choose basic terminator armour, it's just Tartaros with worse rules. As a breakdown:

Cataphractii

4+ Invuln Save

Cannot Run

Cannot Sweeping Advance

Cannot fire Overwatch

Tartaros

5+ Invuln Save

Can Run

Can Sweeping Advance

Can fire Overwatch

So basically the trade off for defensive power or speed/ sweeping - either would be fine in this case.

The MkIV box and MkIII box come with one each Flamer/ Plasma/ Melta. Then the MkIII box has a Heavy Bolter and the MkIV box has a Missile Launcher. There is one combi-weapon per box too I believe. Forge World sell things such as this: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Legion-Plasma-Gun-Set-2015 for most of the weapons, that are in the style of the Heresy gear, or bitz sites usually have the plastic ones on sale relatively cheaply. Facebook trading groups are an excellent place to secure some too!

One thing to bear in mind is that list is quite elite, and based around getting an army together quickly. Veterans are powerful for the Alpha Legion as with Veteran Tactics & Mutable tactics combined they can adapt to a lot of threats. In larger games you can add the likes of the special character Armillius Dynat into your army, who greatly buffs deep striking anti-tank weapons.

Firsty, Charlo gives some excellent advice there and that's a good 'Chosen Duty' list, if you want to include a Dreadclaw.

Second, 1.000 pts. is a really small size for HH, so maybe I'd configure that list to be usable in Zone Mortalis as well as in regular missions. But that would of course preclude the Dreadclaw from being used. Just food for thoughts though.

As for terminators, I'd consider looking at Lernaeans from the start. Stubborn and WS 5 is huge and their unit sergeant is a beast.

If running 'Chosen Duty, I'd suggest looking at Autilon Skorr as your HQ. By taking him (and some Vet Tacs) you will be able to configure your list pre-battle on three fronts:

a.)  Choose your (strategic) warlord trait.

b.)  Select your Mutable Tactic

c.)  Select appropriate Veteran Tactics.

Lastly, take a look at Seekers and / or Headhunters (which are scoring once again since the most recent FAQ) for your Fast Attack slots. Both are quality units if configured right.

Firsty, Charlo gives some excellent advice there and that's a good 'Chosen Duty' list, if you want to include a Dreadclaw.

Second, 1.000 pts. is a really small size for HH, so maybe I'd configure that list to be usable in Zone Mortalis as well as in regular missions. But that would of course preclude the Dreadclaw from being used. Just food for thoughts though.

As for terminators, I'd consider looking at Lernaeans from the start. Stubborn and WS 5 is huge and their unit sergeant is a beast.

If running 'Chosen Duty, I'd suggest looking at Autilon Skorr as your HQ. By taking him (and some Vet Tacs) you will be able to configure your list pre-battle on three fronts:

a.)  Choose your (strategic) warlord trait.

b.)  Select your Mutable Tactic

c.)  Select appropriate Veteran Tactics.

Lastly, take a look at Seekers and / or Headhunters (which are scoring once again since the most recent FAQ) for your Fast Attack slots. Both are quality units if configured right.

Thanks UL, saw you liked my post and was about to suggest Lightbox reach out to yourself for advice if you didn't post!

I definitely agree 1000pts is minuscule for HH and certainly would've gone for Larneans/ Skorr myself but ultimately decided against it as:

• Resin is expensive to start the hobby
  • 50pts extra is a lot to the base cost (arguably worth it for WS5, sergeant +1 and volikite chargers though) - you could slim down the vets to make room!
  • Skorr's model is rare and though easily converted, he has a lot of rules for a pure starter force

I'l 100% echo on the Zone Mortalis front though, just playing those games (but without the additional special rules to begin with) is an excellent, gritty format to learn Horus Heresy. Then you can expand into 1500-2000pt "Centurion" style games (infantry/ walkers/ skimmers/ bikes  fan rules that are EXCELLENT) before finally moving to 3000-4000pt "Frontline" full games.

Cheers for the advice guys! On the topic of 1000 points that's more as a small size to start learning the army with and with the idea of building up from it. The idea being getting a good core at 1000 so that I can add onto that.

I already have some regular marine squads (so bolters) and a couple plasma guns on the way to me so grabbing a few extra bits to use as special weapons for veterans would certainly be possible. I do like the idea of having the lhanean terminators but unfortunately it does currently boil down to the expensive resin so will likely look at getting them later on.

Would it be better to look at a different setup to the vets if I wished to take this to a 2k force or would they still have use there? (The Delagatus could easily become a praetor and terminators are always fun to have)

I do really like the models for headhunters so would be happy to include some of those (though I'm a bit unsure on how best to kit them, they can take combi weapons correct? so I can give them a role besides the banestrike ammo?)

I'll definitely try and see if I can get some ZM games in though because I'd love to try that and can imagine that would be quite fun with headhunters and veterans.

If I did go with Charlo's list and expand it into a 2k force would it be better to focus on lots of bodies or get some tanks & dreds? Or is it a case of either way is perfectly okay to go with?

Thank you both for taking the time for all my questions though :smile.: It's really nice to get an idea in my head of things to look into.

No problem at all, interest in the Heresy must be nurtured to keep the game alive with new blood :thumbsup:

For 2000, it depends entirely what you're going to run in terms of Rite of War/ Special Characters/ Units etc. It also depends on game type, as centurion is a different beast to full frontline warfare. Alphas are the most versatile legion by far but not overwhelmingly powerful in any single regard.

I'd say take a good look at the rules for everything and then decide.

I do really like the models for headhunters so would be happy to include some of those (though I'm a bit unsure on how best to kit them, they can take combi weapons correct? so I can give them a role besides the banestrike ammo?)

I'll definitely try and see if I can get some ZM games in though because I'd love to try that and can imagine that would be quite fun with headhunters and veterans.

If I did go with Charlo's list and expand it into a 2k force would it be better to focus on lots of bodies or get some tanks & dreds? Or is it a case of either way is perfectly okay to go with?

Regarding the headhunters, I had the same problem as you, I built 10x infantry using the FW headhunter kit. What I did is magnetising the wrist of the weapon holding arm with 2x2 mm magnets (go for N50 or N52 strength) and also (taking care of the polarity) I magnetised 10 bolters and 10 plasma guns and a few combiplasma. So these 10 guys in their fancy headhunter armour I can run them as tactical plasma support, or vets (2x plasmaguns, a few combi plasma). Together with the new Warmonger consul that can deep strike a unit, these guys can get pretty lethal regardless if the run as tactical plasma support or combi-plasma vets.

If you get dreads (the FW AL-specific contemptor is quite beautiful), magnetise them as well and run it in games with either double kheres ass.cannons or a chainfist and a power fist. They perform better focusing on either close combat or shooting compared to trying to do versatility with one gun arm and a close combat weapon arm.

Consider buidling a Dynat model (either buy the FW one or build one of your own with thunder hammer and power sword) and tinker on a Coils of the Hydra list, this will give you the elaborative perk of running a legion specific elites unit from another legion (can be refreshing to paint a unit of other legions paint scheme) and can be quite strong. For example, Gal Vorbak has deep strike (give them a meltagun and the sarge a power fist yielding S10 attacks) on their own, and have Dynat deep strike a unit of plasma vets, that's two units deep striking that can damage a lot that the opponent cannot ignore. Dynat deep striking a unit of Firedrakes is quite mean. Dynat, with apothecary and 8 Suzerains in a dreadclaw is quite good for Coils of the Hydra list and can take on a variety of threats.

Another suggestion that can be pretty good in Centurion lists is a unit of 6x Scimitars with volkite culverins, they are T5, 2+ can deep strike and are very mobile. The can hose down enemy infantry from afar with S6 volkite shots and avoid close combat making them quite a nuisance for your opponent.

A squadron of Javelins with twin linked CML, multimelta and hunter killer missiles are quite good for Centurion lists too, then are very mobile, and versatile, have deep strike and strafing run, can threat dreadnoughts as well as light and heavy infantry.

Since Javelins and Scimitars have deep strike they are good units to choose (along assault squads with jump packs) for a Coils of the Hydra list if you want to avoid being forced to choose infiltrate as mutable tactics to make your list legal.

So those suggestions above is just some food for thought and how to move forward after you have painted up your first 20-30 infantry guys.

Cheers for the advice guys! On the topic of 1000 points that's more as a small size to start learning the army with and with the idea of building up from it. The idea being getting a good core at 1000 so that I can add onto that.

I already have some regular marine squads (so bolters) and a couple plasma guns on the way to me so grabbing a few extra bits to use as special weapons for veterans would certainly be possible. I do like the idea of having the lhanean terminators but unfortunately it does currently boil down to the expensive resin so will likely look at getting them later on.

Would it be better to look at a different setup to the vets if I wished to take this to a 2k force or would they still have use there? (The Delagatus could easily become a praetor and terminators are always fun to have)

Thank you both for taking the time for all my questions though :smile.: It's really nice to get an idea in my head of things to look into.

Very welcome !

Good input there, from Charlo and Imren both !

Some additional thoughts:

All the XXth legion special character are great force multipliers (Skorr, Dynat, Alpharius himself) - it pays off to build your lists around their buffs / abilities.

CotH is a great RoW, regardless from which angle you look at it, either when running Assault Squads or 'paying'  the Tactical Tax. The one thing that has been irking me about CotH lately is the 'one consul' limitation ... so many tasty options, but not enough room to include them. But that's really a very minor complaint. :wink:

As for the Headhunter dilemma .... yeah ... either use them for Vet Tacs or Plasma Seekers. That'll always work.

Or, be a daring darling and try to use them as intended ... as the melee unit they are, with some combi flamers and combi melta sprinkled in, and an Apothecary to protect that expensive unit. Matter of fact, their price (in pts.) being the biggest downside to Headhunters at the time being.

With them being able to take a Dreadclaw as their dedicated transport since the most recent FAQ, the underused Headhunter Leviathal  RoW might even be back in the game, going all pod heavy.

All the XXth legion special character are great force multipliers (Skorr, Dynat, Alpharius himself) - it pays off to build your lists around their buffs / abilities.

I've found Dynat, Alpharius and Exodus in the Legion Astartes book but not sure where Skorr is, is he in black book 6?

Looking at Dynat he seems to favour up close and personal lists with his reroll sweeping advances and his +1 to vehicle damage in the opponents deployment zone. I've always liked assaulting and playing aggressive to get up in my opponents face so he could be a fun shout, I do like that he can also buff shooting units too so will have to decide whether I want him also in the thick of things with his hammer or hanging back helping my shooters.

Regarding the CoH limitations would it be possible to use the mutable tactics of infiltrators to take tac squads or will I have to put all of them in rhino's instead? I also wonder if it might be better to begin using a different RoW to learn my army and units before worrying about CoH since the main draw of that is picking a unit from a different legion to fill holes in your list.

I will hopefully be putting a basic list together soon and posting it up for feedback :smile.:

Yup, Autilon Skorr is in Book VI.

Dynat's great in Orbital Assault lists, podding in Machinekiller  combi melta Vets and Contemptors first turn. But he works just equally fine in CotH or PotL lists.

Yes, you can apply your Mutable Tactics to bestow infiltrate on your Tac Squads in CotH. But I'd advise against it. Rhinos are cheap, and you want to be a bit more adaptable with your MT and not dedicate them to your list to plan with. Assault Squads come in handy here as well, but so does Dynat's warlord trait, or even the new Warmonger consul.

So I'm currently toying with an orbital assault list for 2000 points (I'm not sure what the standard size is at my club but fitting anything larger into a single evening could be difficult and anyway a 2k list can happily be expanded to 3k for the larger games days, also as far as I know my group doesn't use the crusader fan rules just the basic age of darkness stuff) It's going fairly well I think though I've a couple things I'd like to get advice on.

1) I'm looking to throw in a jump pack praetor with paragon blade (will be converted as a trident) and a jump pack command squad for him with probably power axes as they seem a good shout (looking at converting the praetor and the squad from sanguinary guard but replacing heads possibly with headhunter ones and removing wings / iconography, the SG armour is nice in that it's instantly noticeable as artificier) Though it is a number of points so I'm wondering if this 5 man melee blender team is a good idea. Might it instead be better to put them in a dreadclaw with venom grenades for HoW instead of jump packs so they can assault as soon as they arrive instead of zipping about the board to get to their quarry?

2) I really like the idea of having exodus and a squad of recon marines (in part because I have some sniper scouts I no longer use and because converting a model for exodus could be really fun) but even though I could drop pod them in it feels like they'd probably be a bit of a waste in an orbital assault army, my thoughts had been to pod them near objectives that are on terrain that I want them to hold or to pod them into a nice vantage point to pick off some key targets.

3) I'm not sure if perhaps it could be better to try a different RoW and take a dreadclaw or two as fast attack to get the melta vets & melee contemptor dropping in to have carnage (though without being able to guarantee first turn for both due to only half coming in) Also other RoW would let me take tanks like land raiders or predators which could be useful, and maybe eventually a tasty forgeworld tank when I can afford it.

Massed drop pod assaults do sound quite fun (though means I need to buy and build a lot of drop pods) but I am a bit worried about being limited on the heavy weapons that come from tanks and I've never been the biggest fan of massed horde infantry (a lot to transport and move about the board) which I assume I'd be having to look at for higher points?

Edited by Lightbox

IMHO they are. A mix of combi flamer & combi melta. Power Fist & Dagger combo on the sergeant. Apothecary. Dreadclaw. 

Once I find the time and resources to re-visit my XXth Legion I'll give it a try.

Interesting take, do you think combi flamers are worth it considering the MEQ saturated environment? I would much rather load up on combi melta, but I like the idea of utilising assault weapons to get the charge in after, I suppose you could add the suspensor web heavy bolter into the mix, at least some of those shots are potentially resolving at AP3.

I hadn’t noticed the change to the dedicated transports options now include the dreadclaw, I like the idea of a pod heavy list in a leviathal with supporting rapiers. My fear would be the exponential cost of the unit with a dreadclaw. I’ve always thought that turn one, you want to focus on killing higher value vehicles (as they will automatically pass Ld tests to target you). Any other thoughts regarding the leviathal?

Cadmus

So I'm currently toying with an orbital assault list for 2000 points (I'm not sure what the standard size is at my club but fitting anything larger into a single evening could be difficult and anyway a 2k list can happily be expanded to 3k for the larger games days, also as far as I know my group doesn't use the crusader fan rules just the basic age of darkness stuff) It's going fairly well I think though I've a couple things I'd like to get advice on.

1) I'm looking to throw in a jump pack praetor with paragon blade (will be converted as a trident) and a jump pack command squad for him with probably power axes as they seem a good shout (looking at converting the praetor and the squad from sanguinary guard but replacing heads possibly with headhunter ones and removing wings / iconography, the SG armour is nice in that it's instantly noticeable as artificier) Though it is a number of points so I'm wondering if this 5 man melee blender team is a good idea. Might it instead be better to put them in a dreadclaw with venom grenades for HoW instead of jump packs so they can assault as soon as they arrive instead of zipping about the board to get to their quarry?

2) I really like the idea of having exodus and a squad of recon marines (in part because I have some sniper scouts I no longer use and because converting a model for exodus could be really fun) but even though I could drop pod them in it feels like they'd probably be a bit of a waste in an orbital assault army, my thoughts had been to pod them near objectives that are on terrain that I want them to hold or to pod them into a nice vantage point to pick off some key targets.

3) I'm not sure if perhaps it could be better to try a different RoW and take a dreadclaw or two as fast attack to get the melta vets & melee contemptor dropping in to have carnage (though without being able to guarantee first turn for both due to only half coming in) Also other RoW would let me take tanks like land raiders or predators which could be useful, and maybe eventually a tasty forgeworld tank when I can afford it.

Massed drop pod assaults do sound quite fun (though means I need to buy and build a lot of drop pods) but I am a bit worried about being limited on the heavy weapons that come from tanks and I've never been the biggest fan of massed horde infantry (a lot to transport and move about the board) which I assume I'd be having to look at for higher points?

2.000 pts. is a good size for a starting army, outside of ZM for sure.

1.)  I really like your idea for the conversions with the sanguinary guard torso bits and adding Alpha Legion bits and heads.

In an Orbital Assault list though, I wouldn't count on reserve rolls to bring in that jump pack unit (since you have no reserve roll manipulation in OA), but would rather run them on foot with an attached apothecary in a pod. The question being: does it have to be OA, or could another RoW work by adding Dreadclaws ? OA is powerful, but personally I like to have some 'boots (and armour) on the ground', so to speak.

2.) Sniper scouts work fine, but are terribly overpriced, and thus often considered to be non-competitive. If you don't care about that, they're a versatile choice.

Personally, I use two units of five in LRC, but one big unit of ten should do you well when bringing in podding or DS'in reserves, preventing scatter with their nuncio vox. Them starting on the board would prevent you from going OA of course.

3.)  Two Dreadclaws: one bringing in Plasma Seekers, the second one transporting Machinekiller Vet Tacs. Plue one Contemptor in a dreadnought drop pod. Voila, three pods of which two arrive round one. Plus, if you take Dynat, the option to DS one more unit. That'll be compatible with quite a few RoW.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. Wondered if the great minds of the Alpha Legion tactics thread could help we with an army construction problem that's (I think) a little different. I have managed to put together various legions using similar restrictions. I try to build a collection that uses fluffy and particularly effective (for that legion) units, without being unable to deal with a particular unit type (eg tanks) and able to run both legion rites of war. The difficulty I am having with Alpha Legion is that I feel like it is part of their charm to run non Legion specific Rites of War (particularly OA, Pride and reading this thread maybe Recon Company) in combination with clever choices of mutable tactics / strategic traits from Skorr. So how do we create a larger army that can be drawn from and used in as many RoW / mutable tactics combinations as possible. Figuring out units that can work in many situations and configurations seems very Alpha Legion!

Given that I mainly play my brother (2-3k) with other legion lists / mechanicum built in a similar fashion spamming by the opponent is not really an option, so we can not worry about getting in to a exploit/counter type series of game loops. 

The (Loose) Restrictions:

• Primarch
  • 60 infantry models
  • 3 HQ models
  • 6(ish) other non transport units (eg predator squadron is one unit)
  • Up to one other LoW
  • Transport units as required ie LRs don't count if they are taken as part of the unit - but again don't want to use this as a hard exploit. In the case of the Alphas might need to have additional drop pods to run OA for example which I am fine with. 
  • If the Primarch or a legion RoW unlocks a particular troop type must have at least one of that unit. 
  • Must have at least one of each legion specific
  • For Coils you can assume access to any other legion specific. 
  • No allies.

Happy with some magnetising but don't really want all 60 troops with magnetised weapons. There is a little flexibility - if one more squad unlocked a cool combination I would happily get it but don't want to end up with 90 troops...

I have obviously had some ideas that I am more than happy to share but would love to see what you guys come up with first. 

• 1 month later...

Hi All... looking to potentially build an AL list as my EC one is almost complete.  One thing I have noticed is that very few lists run assault squads.  Most seem to be tac squads with Rhinos.  I would have thought with the ability to infiltrate an assault squad with Mutable tactics would be a nice "Alpha strike" option turn 1 but I must be missing something as no one seems to mention this in postups..

Happy to read your thoughts

Assault Squads are great in CotH, no doubt. I believe few people went down that route because they did cost a lot more points before the latest LA Army List revision.

And no, it doesn't work that way:  Your're not allowed to charge turn 1 after having infiltrated during deployment. See 'Infiltrate' USR, page 167 BRB.

I'm tinkering on how to equip Lernean terminators. Because of their statline I'd like to play them offensively towards close combat which rules out equipping them with conversion beamer (I probably pick the plasma blaster since 2+ save reduce the risk of dying from gets hot rule). Perhaps deep striking them in with a warmonger in Centurion or ZM games.

I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons between the free power axes they come modelled with and equipping them with power fists (+5p) and/or chainfists (+10p).

The advantage with chainsfist is obvious and I think that every terminator unit ought to have a couple of chainfists for threat versatility against vehicles generally and walkers specially in centurion or ZM games.

So considering:

• Power axe: S+1, AP2, unwieldy (included for free)
  • Power fist: Sx2, AP2, unwieldy, specialist weapon (costs +5p).

With power fist you get an additional attack only if you have power dagger too which only sergeants can take (consequence of the specialist weapon rule). So since you will strike at initiative 1 anyway with either weapon, you might as well choose power fists for the much higher strength value, however, that will reduce your number of attacks too unless you have a power dagger which only the sergeant can take. So suddenly it is not a no-brainer to switch out the axes for fists. What is your take on the problem?

Edited by Imren

Power Fists over Axes on Termies isn't losing you an attack since they dont have Pistols or another CCW to make use of having 2 Weapons for +1A.

It really comes down to S5 Ap2 (+0pts) or S8 Ap2 (+5pts). S8 lets you ignore FNP on T4 or lower and ID T4 or lower multiwounds.

"Specialist weapon" rule makes the model not receive a +1 attack for fighting with two weapons unless it is armed with two or more close combat weapons with the specialist weapon rule (Red rulebook page 172).

So to get the extra attack (when wielding a power fist) you need an additional close combat weapon with the same "special weapon" rule to enjoy another attack. Since power daggers are "specialist weapon" just as power fists are, then you get the additional attack, but since power axes don't have the specialist rule you don't get the extra attack since Lernaens have volkite charger which is assault 2 (not pistol).

So since volkite charger is not a pistol Learneans don't get an extra attack regardless of fists or axes unless they have a power dagger too, and in that case they get additional attack if they have a power fist or chainfist.

Am I wrong/confused here?

I run my Lernaean Terminators with the following set-up:  4 Volkites, 1 Plasma Blaster, 3 Power Fists, 1 Chain Fist, Chain Fist & Power Dagger on the Harrower. Fait accompli.

Exactly what I had in mind initially for a 5 man squad. But then I started to check out the weapons rules to figure out if the special rules of the weapons have any implications on whether they get an additional attack for having a close combat weapon.

Edited by Imren