Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Stepping Down ...

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

Brother Argos

Brother Argos

++ IGNUS GLADIUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 3,549 posts
  • Faction: Salamanders

For the last 12 years I have been technical admin and paymaster for the B&C, however the last two years have seen a decline in my eyesight due to severe proliferative diabetic retinopathy. I have around 50% of my original eyesight remaining after two years and cataracts developing due to the damage done by my extensive eye operations. The summation of this is that I cannot easily see to paint figures or models as I once did and it has been painful to feel my modelling skills slip away as things got worse. This in turn has led to a decline in my involvement with the hobby in general.

As I am sure you can understand this has also had a personal and financial impact upon my welfare. Given this in the near future I will be stepping back as paymaster of the B&C, followed over the course of the next year by handing over the technical administration role.

This will mean the B&C needs to self fund, our current expenditure runs around $200-$250 a month, which I have been personally covering. We have successfully used donation drives to fund new hardware a number of times and I propose this could be used to cover the running costs of the B&C for the next year. Also something that needs to be made clear, is that T-Shirts, Dice and Bags do not raise enough money in the course of a year to cover a single months payments.

You will notice a donation button in the top left hand corner of the home page, if you wish the B&C to continue as it is then you will need to step up and donate to ensure that!

In the past, we have always risen to the challenges we have faced, replaced expensive hardware when needed due to your generosity, now the Bolter & Chainsword needs to stand on its own two feet and only you can make this happen.

I am sorry that I will be unable to continue to support the B&C as I have always done, this has been a hard decision for me .. but I think the right one.

- Brother Argos

TLDR;  Donate to keep the B&C Running NOW

• Brother Nihm, Demoulius, Master Gabriel Macleod and 13 others like this
Brother Argos

Brother Argos stepped forward into the reflected light of the schematic. The Techmarine went unhooded. The left portion of his face was framed with a steel plate, the snarling image of a Salamander seared into it as an honour marking. Burn scars from the Brander-Priests wreathed his skin in whorls and bands. A Bionic eye gleamed coldly in contrast to the burning red of his own.

When he spoke, his voice was deep and metallic.

- Heroes of the Space Marines - Fires of War : Pg 190

Iron Hands - A new beginning

battle captain corpus

battle captain corpus

++ CENTURIO COHORS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,183 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion & Killteam Orks

I for one would like to thank you Argos for the sheer scale of work, time and effort you have personally invested into the B&C.

I'm in the lucky position to count Argos as a close friend and I know how deeply and passionately the B&C runs within him and by extension through all of us.

We are a Brotherhood, united across a single planet through the Bolter and Chainsword. For many of us this is the sole way we can access our hobby, interact with likeminded people and gain enduring friendship.

We mustn't let ourselves down, so its not dig deep or we die, but it is show your support in anyway you can. Donations will make us and maintain us as the the greatest Warhammer 40,000 forum there is!

Don't rely on others though and assume "someone" will donate, be that someone, stand and be counted for your brothers!

Battle Captain Corpus

• Demoulius, Brother Huh, KBA and 12 others like this

HQ.gif Black Legion circa 13th Black Crusade HQ.gif
Played: 24 Won: 6 Lost: 16 Draw: 2
Killteam: Orks
Played: 4 Won: 1 Lost: 3

A D-B

A D-B

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,486 posts

Donated. 

Sincerely sorry to hear about your troubles, Brother Argos. Keep us posted on how it goes at your end of things.

• battle captain corpus, cielaq, Balthamal and 6 others like this
Note: Everything I say is my own personal opinion as hobbyist, a novelist, and the world's slowest painter. It's not intended to reflect back on Games Workshop in any professional context.

Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Akylas

Akylas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 462 posts

I'm very sorry to hear it. I do not have the honor of knowing the people who run the site beyond their screen names but the excellence of B&C is a testament to their hard work and character. I am one of those whose interaction with the hobby occurs largely through this website. It has been too long since I've made a donation and I'm ashamed to say that it took this reminder to make me think to donate today. I hope to be making the much more frequently in the future.

ETL_VI_Banner_02_Oathbraker_.jpgakylas.pnggallery_29004_6198_1186.pnggallery_29004_9303_5600.pnggallery_29004_10383_9315.png

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 15,374 posts

I'm sorry to see you go, Brother Argos. B&C will not be the same without you. Rest assured that I will be making a regular donation.

• captain sox likes this
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

Balthamal

Balthamal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,660 posts
  • Faction: XX Legion - The Downfall

Sorry to see you step back Argos, your work on the forum has been inspirational to say the least given the community that has grown up around it.

On the subject of funding, quick bit of math $250 p/m = $3000 p/a so all it takes is 300 members donating $10 a year to keep things going. Given there's over 67,000 registered members, we should have no trouble matching that.

Step up brothers, the BnC needs YOU

• Redrandy93, Chaeron, battle captain corpus and 11 others like this

Xin Ceithan

Xin Ceithan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,436 posts
  • Faction: The Obsidian Coil, XXth Legio
This is one of those times in which words are very very limited in conveying the admiration and respect I feel for the work and effort you put into the B&C as well as the respect I have for what must have been a truly difficult decision. Thank you.
  • battle captain corpus, captain sox and marvmoogy like this
<p>Call_of_Chaos_7_Banner_01c.jpg;<p>Call_of_Chaos_9_Banner_01b.jpg

irwit

irwit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,391 posts

Thanks for everything you have done to create the BnC.   Its a great place and I am sorry to hear you are leaving but have nothing but thanks.  Best wishes for your future and I hope things improve.

Take care. 

edit - Have put some into the kitty,  hope it helps  :) 

Edited by irwit, 03 June 2014 - 11:03 AM.

Feel free to visit my blog

gallery_65482_7785_207.png

Thanks

Master Avoghai

Master Avoghai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,119 posts
Well that's bad news indeed... :(

I'll make a donation ASAP.

I think I could never thank you enough for your dedication.

This will make me hurry in the modeling tribute I wanted to make...

Thank you again!

Master Avoghai,

"Eat a beaver you'll save a tree"
Old proverb from the Plains World

My Humble Tribute to Brother Argos thread

ETL_VI_Banner_01_Oath_of_Moment_.jpggallery_4664_5295_5937.gifPearl_of_Ultramar_Badge_Small_V2.jpg

Chaeron

Chaeron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,131 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard

My thanks for your work Argos over the years - beyond the call of duty time and time again.

BoxingDayBash2018.png?w=129ETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_05_.jpgL_T_3_2017_Badge_06_Magos.jpgETL_2016_Badge_09_Badge_of_the_Martyr.jpETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei05.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_4416.pnggallery_29004_9903_10777.pnggallery_29004_10383_9506.pnggallery_29004_6198_5690.pngImg_CH00_08Awards_07_CoC_2013.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_06_ETL_2013E.gif

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,608 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Very sad news. Thank you for all your hard work, dedication and very sorry to hear about your eyesight getting worse. I was aware of the problem, but hoped for the best in the last year or so since I first read about it.

Thanks again and do not be a stranger, Brother. We will keep her going, mate.

Threefold Brush Studio Cheap! Fast! Gorgeous! We ship worldwide.
SuOSJCa.png
Stormbolt & Hammer
, a new Age of Sigmar Forum!

WarriorFish

WarriorFish

++ PRÆFECT SOCIORUM ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 20,233 posts
  • Faction: Hunter Legion

The B&C will always endure, it's now our job to show how much we appreciate what you've done by keeping it going as it always has - through donation or just keeping on making this the best place to be. I know we won't disappoint our illustrious Chapter Master :)

• battle captain corpus, captain sox, Aqui and 3 others like this

ETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_02.gETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_04.gifgallery_30308_3239_3185.pnggallery_30308_9518_17558.pnggallery_30308_3239_193.pnggallery_30308_3239_17729.png
Painting Oaths Completed:
gallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_84.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gif
gallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gif
In the grim predictability of online 40k, there can be only Sun Tzu quotes

SM Cataphractii | IG Stormtroopers | CSM Chosen | =][= Hospitaller | AM Armigers | DE [Repaint] | TSons Rubrics

Dark_Master

Dark_Master

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 768 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
Thank you Brother Argos for your work and dedication!

Regards

DM

ETL_2015_Banner_01_Oath_of_Moment.jpg

Greyall

Greyall

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,588 posts

Many thanks for all the work you've done on B&C, Argos.

Best of luck to you.

The awkward crotch-dragon knocks a few off, though.

Firepower

My Hall of Grawry

Neigorath

Neigorath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 394 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion 8th Grand Company

Salute to you brother, from one who follows the eightfold path. I'm not as active here as I'd like but it has been one of my favorite haunts for close to a decade? now. A good friend of mine is also losing his sight one cell at a time and I would not wish it on anyone, least of all to a person who enjoys painting and modelling.

-A crazy finn aka Neigorath

gallery_11038_675_363.png

gallery_24779_1036_18403.jpgneigorathl.png
Once our great father Horus led us to the gates of Terra! There he was slain by the false emperor and his weakling primarchs. Now they worship that rotting carcass as a god! Horus might have been weak and foolish, but we, his Sons, still live on! Abaddon leads us to greater glory with each of his crusades and eventually we will show our brothers that true power demands sacrifices! No-one will stand in our way, be it the lapdogs of the weakling Imperium or our brethren in the other legions! We are the Black Legion! WE ARE RETURNED! -Neigorath the Thrice Accursed, captain of the 8th Grand Company of the former Luna Wolves during the battle for Cadian Gate.

BrotherJim

BrotherJim

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,044 posts

Brother Argos you are a Legend, thank you sincerely for everything you have done for the community. The internet is a better place for your effort.

Never fear, me and the boys will keep things running here and hopefully your eyesight will inprove so hat you can keep enjoy the work and discussions here!

Best wishes!

ETL_2016_Banner_04_Primus_Inter_Pares.jpETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei03.jpg

"You must be mad, or you wouldn't have come here."

http://s3.zetaboards...opic/9031963/1/

http://s3.zetaboards.../9033903/1/#new

TheDevourer

TheDevourer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 706 posts

My thanks aswell, I'm sure that B&C will prevail. 

Once again thank you so much for all your hard work. 

ETL_2013_03_Custos_Fidei_05.jpgCall_of_Chaos_Badge_05.jpgETL_VI_Banner_01_Oath_of_Moment_.jpg

Aqui

Aqui

++ ARQUUS PRAELIA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,376 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Dauntless Spirit
I spend a lot of time on here and can honestly say hand on hearts, that I don't regret a moment of it. This is mainly down to the site's ethos and welcoming membership. The foundation you've laid is stronger than that of the Throne room of Terra.

Let us all ensure that it lasts as long happy.png
  • Redrandy93 likes this

Once, a Novice Cantus came to me, troubled and uncertain. A slip of a girl, only a few strides down the eternal path leading her to the Golden Throne. She asked me a question. She asked me how we can ever truly understand what faith is. I told her that there is no coin to measure what we feel in our hearts. There are no scales upon which we might weigh the faith of one woman against another. There is only duty and blood. There are only deeds and words. There is only the service to the God-Emperor, and the price that demands from each Sister can only be known by Him. But know that whatever fears must be faced, whatever hardships endured, that price is forever worth its full cost.
- Sister Katherine Elysius,
Daughter of the Emperor (later Imperial Saint Katherine)

Xavier Targhost

Xavier Targhost

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 301 posts
  • Faction: Iron Hands / Space Wolves

Take care brother Argos and hope it gets better for you mate! Thanks for all!

DarKHaZZ13

DarKHaZZ13

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,274 posts
  • Faction: Salamanders

I've said it before, a while back when your eyesight first started to effect you, but i'll say it again; Brother Argos your work in the hobby has been magnificent, and a personal source of inspiration for my own work.
That alone alone would make you a memorable person in the annals of B&C history.

However, just as in your hobby activities, when it came to the B&C you went above and beyond. Always going a step further. Keeping the forums ticking over.
Without your personal input, both through finances and commitment, we simply wouldn't be here.

It is with a heavy heart that we wish you a fond farewell. All I can say is that I hope you conitnue to visit the forums, if only as an observer.

Thank you. You will be truly missed.

On a funding note. Donations have been the lifeblood of the B&C many times in the past.
I certainly encourage people to donate what they can, when they can. I will certainly be doing so as soon as I've finished up this post

However, new sources of income are out there.
Has anyone in the Admin team considered a kickstarter/ indiegogo/ other crowd funding scheme?

Rewards would just essentially be things in the B&C store with other things thrown in, like artwork from notable members and such...
Just a thought

• Machine God likes this

-DH- Innocence proves nothing

Twitch Channel & YouTube Channel
Personal Blog - The Science of Selling Yourself Short
Board Game E-Zine - The Cardboard Cartographer
Hobby Blog - The Underhive Hero

You know you play too much 40k when, after a 'good night' with your significant other, you perform a sweeping advance instead of letting her go to sleep. After you finish, you declare it a massacre, and attempt to consolidate D6 feet towards the shower and/or kitchen.

GrandMagnus

GrandMagnus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,337 posts
  • Faction:

Emperor be with you brother Argos. Thank you for all that you have given us on this great forum

gallery_30308_9518_6104.pngETL_2016_Banner_01_Oath_of_Moment.jpgETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifETL_Medal_03.gif

If you want to see my minis, look me up on instagram under the name Manta_Man_Miniatures. Fantasy, 40k and historical minis :)

RADU LYKAN

RADU LYKAN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,005 posts
chucked a few pennies in the kitty, this was my first 40k related website in the way back when, thanks for many years of service

Radu Lykan's log of doom - space wolves - bfg- inquisitor- fantasy- basically everything i do hobby wise
My Guard on the Bolter and Chainsword

QUOTE(Yogi @ Dec 18 2006, 03:38 AM)
You can't trust a redshirt, they're as sure to lie as much as their star trek compatriot is sure to die.

QUOTE (Jonny Wolf @ Oct 7 2008, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll tell you this, there are only two forces in the Imperium: Space Wolves and Support.

gallery_30308_9518_3604.pnggallery_30308_9518_4931.png

Captain Juan Juarez

Captain Juan Juarez

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,518 posts

Brother Argos, your tireless effort has given thousands of power-armour loving nerds around the world a place to call "home" on the internet; long have you been our Omnissiah and Emperor and for this you will always hold a place in our collective hearts.

On behalf of the magical InterWebz "we", we all wish you the very best in whatever you do and hope that the hobby is not lost from you forever - all hail Brother Argos, all hail the Omnissiah.

• Redrandy93 likes this
" They made you to be untouched by God or mortal. As I cannot kill you, so I curse you, not with death but with life.

I curse you - with the pain of ten thousand days in the Dark Place, with the life's blood of a mage's sacrifice, with Death's authority held in my hands.

I curse you, and I strike your name from history, stripped of arrogance and pride, empty of the self you once knew, gutted of all you are. I take your name and all you have won by the strength of your hand. I curse you for eternity, to find only darkness where once you knew your own face.

And I dub you the Ragged Man."

markham82

markham82

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 701 posts
  • Faction: Doom Reapers

Brother Argos I will pray for your wellbeing. To simply thank you would not convey how much your work and the work of the staff of B&C means to me personally, as it is the only interaction I have with the hobby.

I don't know if religious talk is allowed, but I'll risk it . Talk to God, realize he is with you and your loved ones. If you do this everything will be alright, no matter what happens.  

• Honda, Akylas and SCOTT_FRANCIS like this

ETL 2015 Banner 02 Custos Fidei 02
gallery 48988 6285 10723
boxing Day victor

Codex Astartes  " Remark 101.x : What wins the fight wins the fight. Ultimately nothing should be excluded if that exclusion leads to defeat"

Martox

Martox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 279 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Spears

I post nowhere near as often as I should, but I'll appear to say:

Thank you, Brother Argos, for all the hard work and effort you've put into this community. Best of luck to you good sir!

"We attack without warning, mercy or hesitation. Let the enemies of Mankind know we will purge every last one of them, and let them shake in fear."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users