IG allies, really good or cheese?

durdle-durdle

It has recently come to my attention that if a IG priest is put in a squad of anything with 2+ saves, they get re-rollable 2+ saves as long as they are in combat.  Could this be something to potentially help us with other death stars?  A squad of DWK w/ priest making them basically indestructible against everything but D weapons and BOAT LOADS of AP2 in close combat?  I mean, sure, once it gets out of combat, it'll probably take a ton of shooting wounds, but if this jumps out of a land raider, it's going to kill pretty much whatever it locks into, then soak up a ton  of fire and potentially do it multiple times, if you get lucky.  (i usually use my DWK as a hitman then a horde mower.  kill a land raider, then get stuck in with some guardsmen/ orks/ etc.)

In addition, theres an azzy star (azrael w/ a blob of IG,a priest, and maybe some psykers) I've yet to have a chance to test either of these, but i feel like they're really strong.  I know for sure i'm going to test this against a chaos player who uses abbadon, a sorcerer on slaanesh steed, and a giant squad of spawn to suck up wounds.  eventually.

Then the valkyries / vendettas (whichever have the three lascannons) can give us some really good AA/ AT capabilities as well.

camo netting tanks in cover (or behind aegis) w/ dark shroud for 2+ cover save tanks.

what do you guys think?  Do IG make good allies for us?  or is it a bit too much?

Well, actually wondering with all that if you'll have enough point to eventually include DA units.

Priest

Vendetta

Tanks with camo net

Aegis

+ the compulsory HQ

+ the compulsory troops

Leaves few room for DA particulary if you use azzy + termi + DWK

Tank commander and wingman take care of hq slot and the tanks in one go, only one troop required for allied detachment and that would be vets with chimera. 700-900 depending on what you want to take.

From a background point of view, a human Ministorum priest joning a group of Deathwing Terminators seems farfetched, I doubt he could inspire them to greater heights with his oratory. Might work on guardsmen but not on the 1st company of the Unforgiven.

At best he would be ignored. At best. I'd say it's more than likely he would be accidentally stepped on by a Terminator.

Well, i'm not saying to cram it all in at once.  I'm just saying that IG has some really good options that can pair really well with IG.  If you're going to try and put it ALL in one list, yeah, you should probably play it the other way around.  

and yeah, from, a background point, the priest with deathwing doesn't really fit fluff.  I'm saying that it'd just be an interesting table top tactic.

It fits the fluff, not in the written vision, but in the artistic vision. One of my favorite pieces of art from the 3rd Edition Codex is a bunch of Dark Angels with a crazed priest in the middle holding up a sword like a cross.

Even the pic of Asmodai on page 27 has 4-5 chapter serfs lurking to his left (our right) carrying a bunch of relics similar to Grimaldus of the Black Templars.

Chapter serfs are like servo skulls - they are awesome and always lurking around in the art but rarely mentioned in the books.

I know I'm going to try it. My army needs some crazed chapter serfs.

Actually... that's a very good point.  Imperial Guard "counts as" Chapter serfs could really work, depending on the model(s) in question, and the larger context.

DA as the allies I guess

I wouldn't stick a guard model with a crack DA unit though feels wrong

Azreal babysitting 50 conscripts sounds plausible if your into your cheese

A detachment of tanks as allies would sound more like it though can't you take a guard HQ that's a tank commander?

Yeap,

say tank commander and 2 leman russ as HQ, one squad of veterans in chimera as troops and 3 leman russ for the HS. Add some devildogs in fast slot for good measure.

Actually, I was thinking something more along the lines of:

HQ

Command Squad with Astropath, Standard Bearer, and Master of Ordnance

2x Priests

Troops

Veteran Squad

Taurox

The command squad sits in the back field, calling down ordnance and helping with psychic crap. The standard bearer is there because, well, in the art they are always there. And from a fluff perspective, the chapter serfs wouldn't all scurry over to the Librarian for instruction. They'd have an intermediary.

Two priests to do priestly buffs. It doesn't have to be two, but I'm sure I can find two units worth buffing.

Veteran Squad because its the cheapest troop choice available.

Taurox, well, because it has the same stats as a Rhino, and a converting a Rhino with a twin linked Autocannon would be cool and effective.

So there it is. My master plan. Trademark 6/6/14 xNickBaranx LLC.

Veterans are good as chapter serfs since they're usually failed DA novitiates, meaning they were the creme de la creme of their tribes or whatever on their home world.

Azrael's conscripts could be represented as a big horde of Watchers in the Dark... not exactly fluffy but would be pretty funny :)

Archived