Sculpting tutorial: What do you need?

First, let me say that I have read the READ THIS FIRST pinned thread and am aware of this bit:

"Does anyone want a tutorial on X?" If you have a tutorial then just post it. You can find tutorials that people are looking for in the Tutorial Requests Thread.

The thing is, I've had several people ask me for a sculpting tutorial in my WIP thread both here and on another site, but hardly anyone specifies what exactly they want a sculpting tutorial for.

I'd like to do one, or maybe several, but if I could get an idea of what people really need help with it, I could make sure to focus on those aspects. If this is still inappropriate for a thread topic and gets nuked, I understand.

So, having said that, B&C brothers and sisters, where do you need help the most with sculpting? I'd love to help more people get comfortable with it or improve skills they already have because the more awesome models we have being posted up on the boards, the more we enrich the community as a whole and help inspire others to greater heights with their own models!

I'm going to assume things like;

• Specific tools
  • Different Green/Yellow ratios for different surfaces (armour, fur etc)
  • curing times
  • working in layers

Then there'd be specific how-to items

• smooth armour
  • cloaks/capes
  • shirts/pants
  • fur
  • buttons/rivets

These are the most common items referenced when I see a request for a GSing tutorial.

Cheers,

Jono

Grotsmasha has written a pretty solid list there and I think the tips you gave me in my Inquisitor thread will be a massive help.  Things like the lubricant and sanding/drying tricks will be invaluable as I know I'm already itching to give them a try.

A step by step, seeing a model building up the layers would be very helpful as I think I'm certainly guilty of trying to sculpt too much at once.

Smoothness with putty has forever been an issue for me. I also have the worst luck with sculpting greenstuff on top of greenstuff; why I do not know.

Help with either would benefit myself, and hopefully others, greatly.

For me, I think it'd have to be your work with cloth. It's probably the best thing you do IMO, and the main one I can't really tongue.png

I was planning on covering how I do cloth, not to worry. msn-wink.gif

Smoothness with putty has forever been an issue for me. I also have the worst luck with sculpting greenstuff on top of greenstuff; why I do not know.

Help with either would benefit myself, and hopefully others, greatly.

Could you give more detail on the trouble you're having with that?

I'd really love a tutorial on how to sculpt a power armoured hand, if thats possible?

I've never sculpted a whole hand before. For my Dusk Raider conversion, I took a left-handed power fist, cut the thumb off, flipped it over, and sculpted a new thumb on the other side to make it a righty:

http://i.imgur.com/ynpDRvv.jpg

I'll try to sculpt a whole hand and see how it turns out for possible inclusion.

I'd really love a tutorial on how to sculpt a power armoured hand, if thats possible?

smile.png

@BCK: sorry for temporary hijack

Hands are actually surprisingly easy, if you look at a marine's hand it's very modular. Each part is effectively just made up of small cuboids. The way I do it is sculpt the palm of the hand, wait for it to dry and then work on the digits. It's harder if it's a hand like the pointing left hand in the picture, but if you're sculpting around a sword hilt for example, you've got a good solid point to brace your sculpting around.

The best way to sculpt anything - IMO anyway - is to break it down into basic shapes, squares, rectangles, cubes, circles etc.

Hijack over msn-wink.gif

I think I've found a good subject to demonstrate a lot of techniques in one big tutorial, or more likely, several smaller parts. While digging around for some bits on a new project I'm planning, I came across a Finecast Lord Commissar figure I had gotten from a lot of 3 Valkyries I bought off of eBay several years ago - the seller just threw the guy in. This was still in the early stages of Finecast when 75% of the stuff should never have hit a shelf.

http://i.imgur.com/7hwwtPJ.jpg

The right side of the face looks melted, the spongy pink stuff is parts of the mold that came away with the figure(iirc), and the whole face has a very grainy texture. I guess it's a good thing I intend to remove the head, eh? The replacement head will be Vostroyan, so that will give me a chance to show how I did the one on the Creed conversion, with building up the form for the hat and then sculpting the fur once that had cured.

There are also holes in the cloak.

http://i.imgur.com/hmhrkxa.jpg

The three up top are holes and then thin spots in the material just below them. The light area near his knee is just another thin spot in the resin-like substance, but they will need to be repaired.

You can see them quite clearly on the back view:

http://i.imgur.com/Rq7TvsN.jpg

I've liked this figure since GW first introduced it, but I always felt the cape looked too small, so I plan on extending it. This can let me demonstrate how to sculpt the big, rounded hill-and-valley types of folds commonly seen on cloaks, and sometimes on robes and tabards.

On the front side will be lots of goodies.

http://i.imgur.com/ihl0VpU.jpg

I will be sculpting a long coat on him beneath the breastplate, and due to his open stance, the front of the coat will be parted and a second layer will be visible beneath it, not unlike this:

http://i.imgur.com/i6aBcT2.jpg?1

I can easily do sections on working in layers and sculpting folds in cloth for this part, and I could probably give him carapace armor to demonstrate sculpting armor plates. Along the way, things like getting a smooth finish, tools, curing times, etc can all be covered, and short of sculpting a PA hand, I think that will hit just about all of the points covered above for tutorial ideas.

If anyone has anything else they would like to see done (but not necessarily on this figure), please add it. If I'm capable of doing it, I'll try to do a tutorial for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for replying JGeils81.

If you have any specific areas you want covered, please be sure to add it in here. I'm working on putting down everything I think should be included, but I've been working with GS for so long, it's hard to remember exactly what it was like when I first got started and all the little difficulties and annoyances.

Honestly, I wouldn't know where to start. I have gs, and I have the tools, milliput, etc. but Im still trying to kickstart my hobby. have a new baby and thats slowing me down right now. Mostly I just want to see what techniques you'd be using. I tend to see what others are doing, and adapt my own ideas to their techniques. so, thanks for doing this, and responding. I am eagerly waiting to see what happens ph34r.png

I'm in the same situation as JGeils81. I've had the tools and GS for a while and attempted a torso conversion that I found a tutorial for on here. It came out ok but I feel it could have been so much better.

Archived