Grey Knights 7e Codex Rumor

Valerian

Lords of War are saying that the first three codexes for 7e are Orks, Space Wolves, and Grey Knights.

They're also saying its a codex update only, with no new models, or at least limited new models.

Here's to hoping they're right!

V

Wow. The rumour was Blood Angels > Grey Knights as that was the order of 5th. I'm actually glad to see ours isn't the first one for 7th as that usually has the most quirks. I wonder if the Space Wolves & Grey Knights have some info about Armageddon, perhaps seeing each other as allies of convenience tongue.png

I'm betting we see Inquistorial units removed.

SJ

Kind of seems that way, but is a shame for me.  Wish we'd at least get the Ordo Malleus Inquisitor and an appropriate warband.  I'll hate losing the assassins too if that's what comes to pass.

SJ

Definitely agree. They'll be stripped out, and reside in the digital Codex Inquisition only, from now on.

So many rumours with codex releases.

Think you forgot BA on that list too; would be logical to think theirs is on the horizon due to that new Ork/BA starter set?

Nope, Blood Angels weren't forgotten, they simply aren't on the list for release this summer. Oh, and there won't be a new Ork/BA starter set either.

At least according to these guys.

V

SJ

I saw a rumored list that had Inquisition listed, so I also wonder if you will lose Inquisitorial models entirely, now that they have their own codex.

Or, alternately, if your codex will stop being "Codex: Grey Knights," turn into "Codex: Inquisition," and have the special Inquisitorial Detachment rules added. It won't much change your rules situation rules-wise, but it would make it easier to clean up some of the weirder/messier rules confusions that have arisen from the current state of affairs.

Anyway, I've read the Grey Knights codex - I'm probably getting my first box of terminators for an allied detachment on Friday to celebrate the end of a terrible school year - and I think my Blood Angels need a new codex much more than the Grey Knights do. I have no idea how much GW actually cares about that - how long did the Tau limp along with a barely functioning codex? - but perhaps it's a factor.

SJ

I saw a rumored list that had Inquisition listed, so I also wonder if you will lose Inquisitorial models entirely, now that they have their own codex.

Or, alternately, if your codex will stop being "Codex: Grey Knights," turn into "Codex: Inquisition," and have the special Inquisitorial Detachment rules added. It won't much change your rules situation rules-wise, but it would make it easier to clean up some of the weirder/messier rules confusions that have arisen from the current state of affairs.

I don't understand. There's already an inquisition codex, there's no need for two. If we get an inquisitorial-esque detachment then there will be no need for Crowe to take squads of purifiers.

SJ

I don't understand. There's already an inquisition codex, there's no need for two. If we get an inquisitorial-esque detachment then there will be no need for Crowe to take squads of purifiers.

Not sure what you mean. I agree - there's no need for two. As it stands now, we have Codex: Inquisition and Codex: Grey Knights (and also Inquisition). This is is why I suggested that in the next edition Grey Knights and Inquisition might get folded back together into one 'dex. Or you'll lose the Inquisitorial units altogether.

Lords of War are saying that the first three codexes for 7e are Orks, Space Wolves, and Grey Knights.

They're also saying its a codex update only, with no new models, or at least limited new models.

Here's to hoping they're right!

V

Is there any hope for a) a GM Mordrak model and b. them fixing his rules?

They were already in ours, the only addition to C:I was ministorum priests so they cant be folded back into ours as they never left :P I seriously doubt we will keep them though. There's no point now that C:I is available so you would need to buy 2 codices in order to field Inquisitors with Grey Knights. 

Anyway, I've read the Grey Knights codex - I'm probably getting my first box of terminators for an allied detachment on Friday to celebrate the end of a terrible school year - and I think my Blood Angels need a new codex much more than the Grey Knights do. I have no idea how much GW actually cares about that - how long did the Tau limp along with a barely functioning codex? - but perhaps it's a factor.

As far as I can tell, and I've been watching releases for 25 years now, they don't really care about who needs the update most; that doesn't seem to factor in at all with the order that codices get published.  It most often just seems to be driven by the model production cycle, and sometimes popularity. 

Is there any hope for a) a GM Mordrak model and b. them fixing his rules?

Well, they'll definitely do something with his rules, but there's no telling if they'll get it right and actually create a character that'll work out well in the game. I seriously doubt they'll make a model for him, but thankfully you can do an easy two arms swaps on the Draigo model and make whatever Grand Master or Brother-Captain you want.

EDIT: On a positive note, all of the codices are supposed to be developed by teams now, rather than single/primary authors/designers, so that will hopefully lead to better internal and external balance, as well as better coherence to established fluff, as members of the team can help moderate each other, and also hopefully help to identify and resolve shortfalls.

Well, they'll definitely do something with his rules, but there's no telling if they'll get it right and actually create a character that'll work out well in the game. I seriously doubt they'll make a model for him...

Be warned - every other special character and unit that didn't have models has, thus far, either gotten a model or been removed from the codex. I doubt Mordrak will be any different - either he'll get a GW model, or he'll be axed.

Being a wierd non IC, my guess is both he and Thawn will be axed.

Well, remember that the Blood Angels are unlikely to lose either Mephiston or the Sanguinor - because they have minis - and both of them are non-IC characters. If you think that GW wants to remove the weird non-IC characters from the game, do you suppose that Mephiston and the Sanguinor will learn how to join units?

Well, they'll definitely do something with his rules, but there's no telling if they'll get it right and actually create a character that'll work out well in the game. I seriously doubt they'll make a model for him...

Be warned - every other special character and unit that didn't have models has, thus far, either gotten a model or been removed from the codex.

Thus far starting at what point? With the beginning of 6e?

Be warned - every other special character and unit that didn't have models has, thus far, either gotten a model or been removed from the codex.

Thus far starting at what point? With the beginning of 6e?

Yes. I was under the impression that IG lost a bunch of special characters that lacked models.

Well, remember that the Blood Angels are unlikely to lose either Mephiston or the Sanguinor - because they have minis - and both of them are non-IC characters. If you think that GW wants to remove the weird non-IC characters from the game, do you suppose that Mephiston and the Sanguinor will learn how to join units?

Neither of those two are Weird. ;)

What makes Mordy and Thawn weird is the fact that are/can be part of a unit.

And the rules don't really support a single mini non IC joining a Unit.

Archived