How can we deal with 3+ FMC?

tbone

So I just had a 7th game against skyblight nids and I really started to wonder how the heck to deal with 3+ FMC. As frustrating as it was in 6th to try to ground a flying monstrous creature and then shoot it all to hell or assault it, 7th seems like it makes that nearly impossible. And blowing things out of the sky has been something CSM already sucked at. Then add the nerfs to vector strikes and Quadgun and our previous ways of dealing with flyers look even worse.

Psyhic shriek is the only thing that seemed to work for me.

Be'Lakor seems like an obvious answer, but is he enough? 3 Flyrants or 3 daemon Tzeentch DPs will make short work of Be'Lakor.

Guess we may need allies and/or fortifications...

Any ideas?

Haven't really looked into the fmc thingie but can they fight each other while flying?

They can shoot and vector strike each other, but they can't preform assaults while Swooping, only while Gliding (provided they didn't change flight modes their next turn).

We could use our DPs and Heldrakes to Vector Strike them to death, including spell casting, and Hades Autocannons.

Psychic powers too.

This.

The last memory of yeuthranos (however you spell it) is a nova with up to 18" range. Could be useful in getting wounds since nova hits flying mc's too and ignore cover.

Vector Srike on FMCs or flyers hasn't changed and is actually better now it's AP2, so this is going to be your best bet, Heldrakes are still a very solid pick and I personally never leave home without 2 at 1500+ points. As for Skyfire, take your own FMCs (Lord of Change or Tzeentch DPs spring to mind). Also, an Aegis with the Interceptor/Skyfire Lascannon isn't a bad addition but it probably depends on your army. Aside from that a Fire Raptor with a Reaper Battery is pretty good, the Avenger bolt cannon is S6 AP3 Heavy 7 so it's wounding most FMCs on a 4+.

Against a Skyblight swarm your target priority should be Flyrants, knock out those annoying twin-linked Devourers and punish their synapse. Without synapse the army will fall apart and from experience killing the Gargoyles is not always the best idea as they get them back on a 4+.

Dallas

I just close my eyes and pretend they don't exist.  To quote Cornelius from Planet of the Apes, "flight is a scientific impossibility."  I'll buy that for a dollar.

Also..Wait, what, Drake?   How do Tyranids get Gargoyles back on a 4+?  Did I miss something awesome that might actually make me use Gargoyles?

There is a dataslate that allows you to play objective secured gargoyle that come back on a 4+ once they have been killed. You have to play 2 flyrants and 3 other fmcs from fast attack i believe

So you need five good units to make a unit I hate worth taking over my personal loathing.  Sounds good to me.  I used to like Gargoyles when they had the flamespurt and looked different enough from the Termagaunts which I have always hated since they showed the first metal one off in White Dwarf.  Since they are now little more than winged Termagaunts you can see my irrational hatred.

Archived