Bannockburn's hobby projects - 5th Company, DW, and more

Go to solution Solved by Cpt. Bannockburn,

A small update for the non-TH related thing:

The cockpit and pilot of the DT/Neph are done:

dt_neph_cockpit_2.jpg

Meanwhile, the canopy has been masked off and is now glued in with PVA glue. I'll then start magnetizing stuff. There's quite a lot of it to be made removable, but I think, I'll just glue the HBs in, since the sensor panels for the Dark Talon are difficult to pry out once they're set in the recesses.

Thank you!

Sure, I'll see what I can do on the weekend. It's about 6000 points painted right now (including fortifications), so I'll have to do quite the setup for taking a photo.
You can see photos of smaller parts of the army right in this thread (2000 points Deathwing), or my batrep thread (1500 points 5th Company + Knight support) in the meantime.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while, but I haven't been slacking.

Here's what I did since I posted last.

I've magnetized, primed and basecoated a DT/Nephilim, with the cockpit already completed.

dt_neph_1.jpg

Of course, the Beast hasn't been left alone either.

I've started on the landing gear, with the front "foot" (what's the proper word here?) finished. Also, the turbines are in the works now.

Had to take it apart again for painting the subassemblies.

Three things I learned:

1.) Those details eat brushes for breakfast.

2.) The turbines are a LOT larger than they look.

3.) That's a lot of paint. Three turbines mean 2/3 of a pot of Warplock Bronze and another 2/3 of Leadbelcher.

belly_2.jpg

• 10 months later...

After a long and involved work project, and a bunch of apathy, I managed to finish some stuff and start other things.

Pictures are crappy phone camera, but I'll probably take better ones down the line at work.

Here's the pudding:

First of all, I finished a drop pod. Well, almost, it should really be weathered a bit with soot streaks.

droppod_1.jpg

droppod_2.jpg

Secondly, here's my first finished Primaris squad:

primaris_squad_1.jpg

Now to the unfinished stuff, and let me start with this here (yes, I am still working on it):

assault_ramp3.jpg

And since I'm apparently addicted to dreadnoughts, here are two works in progress:

redemptor_1.jpg

leviathan_1.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've actually finished some stuff! Well, one stuff.

A Deathwing champion is now done and is only waiting for a coat of varnish, which I will do once the other pieces on my painting table are done.

Unfortunately, when I took pictures yesterday evening, all but two went into the warp for some reason or the other, so here's just the top view of said champion.

deathwing_champion_2.jpg

I've also painted up the leviathan dreadnought, and it's tabletop ready, but needs highlights and gradients. Pictures maybe tonight.

Now I've gotta finish him and the Ravenwing jet that's in a similar state of affairs, and then I'll get back to the Beast. I'm pretty excited to be painting consistently again :smile.:

Some non-DA stuff under the spoiler, if you're interested in Adeptus Titanicus

warlord_1.jpg

This little dude arrived yesterday in the mail. I immediately elevated him to main project, to do the Omnissiah proud.

He's going to be Deus Tempestus, of Legio Tempestus, the Storm Lords of Mars. My goal is to have the maniple from Mechanicum, meaning two Warlords, two Reavers and three Warhounds. This project will have to wait until there are more titans and weapon options available though.

Deus Tempestus is fully magnetized, and was a blast to build. They located mold lines and gates very cleverly and the cleanup was minimal. And big kudos to the courtesy of including magnet bays.

Since it didn't work this morning, here we are with the missing pictures:

Deathwing champion (he needs a name, I'm open to suggestions):

deathwing_champion_1.jpg

Relic Brother Zariah:

leviathan_front.jpg

leviathan_top.jpg

Offtopic Spoiler for Adeptus Titanicus:

warlord_3.jpg

• 2 years later...

I found this thread again, and I have made some progress with backlogs and new things. Shamefully, I have not made much of a dent in the projects mentioned in the first post, and painted other things instead.

Could you post a picture of your whole army I'd love to see them all together.

I finally got around to this request. Sorry it took me almost four years. This here's about 8000 points, excluding fortifications and terrain.

nIjBVGK.jpg

Not pictured is a Hellblaster squad that I finished a few hours after taking the above picture.
So, without further ado, here's what I've been up to in the meantime, in more or less chronological order:

- I "finished" the Dark Talon / Nephilim. This is in quotation marks, because it's not actually finished. I just painted it up to be playable and then shoved it into the back of the display cabinet. No pictures of that, except from far back in the above posted one.

- Next up, the Redemptor dreadnought that had been languishing in a basecoated state for far too long.

jzs2UEG.jpg

- While I was doing that, I also picked up the remaining Inceptors and painted them up

RA35otJ.jpg

- Then, I caught the bug again and will soon be having my first 9th edition Crusade campaign and thought, hey, why not fill out a roster with mostly Primaris marines. As a result I painted up a Lazarus model, which I will also use as an Azrael stand-in. First time I tried painting a power sword like this, and I like the result but will refine it further.

3gU2V0F.jpg

Yq4dkYk.jpg

- Because they were looking at me really reproachfully, a few more basic terminators got a coat of paint / got renewed to my preferred DW colour scheme. Nothing special here, but this means my last Dark Reach terminators are now fully painted. I am slow.

dmIGSYL.jpg

- I read the codex and noticed how good the RW apothecary was, so what the hell, here's one of them.

7DkkmAI.jpg

- Following that, I finished up a box of Hellblasters with my new and improved quick & dirty recipe that I also used for the Intercessors and Inceptors. The eyelenses look dirtier than they are.

rI6ohqk.jpg

- Finally, I picked up my Thunderhawk again, finished the lower hull (apart from a few highlights on the details) and colour matched the upper hull.

ZAVCYsY.jpg

And here's the finished Crusade list, at 1000 points on the dot. I'm still looking for a strike force name, so suggestions are welcome!
Since the relics and warlord traits are paid for with requisition points, there will be a good amount of CP available in play.

SJ5y56P.jpg

• 1 Primaris Captain with Armour Indomitus, master-crafted auto bolt rifle, master-crafted power sword, Brilliant Strategist and, of course, Rites of Initiation. Can't have a non-DW member lead a company.
  • 1 Interrogator-Chaplain in terminator armour, with Mace of Redemption, Canticles of Hate, and Imperium's Sword
  • 5-man squad of DW Knights
  • Redemptor Dreadnought with Icarus rocket pod, storm bolters, plasma incinerator and Onslaught gatling cannon
  • 5-man squad of Intercessors with bolt rifles
  • 5-man squad of Intercessors with bolt rifles
  • 5-man squad of Hellblasters with assault plasma incinerators

It has a pretty good amount of dakka, I feel, and while I didn't manage to incorporate all three wings, these are two perfect 500pt blocks for different levels of play. I don't have dedicated anti-tank weaponry, but I think the combination of high plasma volume (in a pinch with WftDA), deep striking DWKs with chaplain support, and dreadnought CC should help me out, if necessary.

Not too mobile, but it'll be small battlefields and we'll see how the campaign organizer sets up terrain.

Yesterday's progress: detailed the upper hull and glued on the aerial / sensor thingy. Crappy desk light makes it look splotchier than it is.

o4b1fXP.jpg

I also mounted the open air brakes after taking this picture, and that means the hull is as good as done, apart from the turbo laser and heavy bolters. 

The turbo laser is my plan for today, after that it's wing time, followed by attack wings, and finally the heavy bolters and missile complement. For some reason I don't have those primed yet, so I hope the rain here lets up soon that I can go airbrush on the balcony.

I've attached the front heavy bolter sponsons and the air brakes, as well as finishing up the turbo laser. I also primed the rest of the components so I'm ready to tackle the last parts. 

1vtF1M6.jpg 

Only the wings  and attack wings are left now. You can see where I was a bit sloppy with the greenstuff, but I'll be damned if I strip that again to file it down properly. It'll just gonna be a bad weld job on a sub par repair facility during some mission or other.

20 parts left to paint, and 6 of those are already basecoated. An ending is in sight.

And we're close to finished. The wings are done.

PIi49fq.jpg

And with mocked up attack wings, which I'll probably paint tomorrow, at which I call this project preliminarily done (barring a coat of varnish), before I'll pick it up later for heavy weathering.

W6OEt0R.jpg

I'm glad mine wasn't the only multi year project :tongue.:

Beat you by about half a year ;)

I.e. It's done!

GOyYvQc.jpg

b87cL63.jpg

Terrible lighting tonight, so the usual caveats apply. I'm calling it paint complete, apart from manual chipping to come at a later date. 

I'm currently waiting for varnishes, weathering powders and streaking grimes, as well as clear plastic panels to build the cockpit glass, but I feel like my Crusade army now has a proper chariot for the time being!

Fantastic!

I hope my nag was part of the motivation for you.

Great work and great execution on a mammoth task, well done Brother.

Thank you, and indeed it was. I am very motivated right now, and I am looking forward to my next project, which is finishing up my 5th company. Since Primaris marines came out, I decided to fill up the remaining slots with some of those, so currently on the table are:

- 2 Devastator bolter marines to fill up the 9th squad

- 5 Assault Marines, to fill up the 8th squad

- 10 Primaris Intercessors, to represent the 5th squad

- 10 Primaris Infiltrators, to represent the 6th squad

- 6 Primaris Inceptors to make up the 7th squad, together with the already finished Inceptors I have. Plasma, this time.

For a total of 26 remaining marines, before I tackle some more Ravenwing and Deathwing.

Edited by Cpt. Bannockburn

I finished 7 more marines yesterday and have started to experiment with streaking grime enamel colour. I'm not quite satisfied with how it looks on a small firstborn miniature, so I'll probably paint up one of the tanks soon-ish to test how it looks on a bigger model.

Before I do that, however, I am currently waiting on an order from Spain, containing weathering powders, hobby glue, and a clear plastic from which I want to construct the cockpit windows for the Beast.

I have started building 3 plasma inceptors, but without the glue I'm currently on hold for building their bases, so I will continue with building the 10 Intercessors until all of this stuff arrives. I plan to finish these 13 models, and once done, source the last 13 to finish up the company. After that, who knows. My project list is still long:

• A magnetized Dark Talon / Nephilim (painting almost done, but for some reason I never finished it)
  • Lion El'Jonson
  • Ravenwing Talonmaster
  • 10 Primaris Intercessors, to represent the 5th squad
  • 10 Primaris Infiltrators, to represent the 6th squad
  • 6 Primaris Inceptors to make up the 7th squad, together with the already finished Inceptors I have. Plasma, this time. (3 built)
  • 5 Deathwing Knights
  • 4 individual Deathwing Terminators
  • 1 Deathwing Ancient (including repaint of the current version to a normal model)
  • 1 Deathwing Apothecary (including repaint of the current version to a normal model)
  • 1 Ravenwing Company Champion
  • 1 Ravenwing Ancient
  • 6 Ravenwing bikers
  • I have 5 tanks to do, a second LRC, one Whirlwind (not yet built), one command Rhino one fully magnetized Predator / Razorback / Rhino and one Vindicator
  • Storm Talon (not yet built)

This is not listed in order of priority. I am tending towards the Talonmaster first, followed by the DW Ancient and Apothecary and more terminators (there's even one of the stumpy metal ones amongst them), at which point I hope to finish the Lion and then start seriously thinking about weathering.

Edited by Cpt. Bannockburn

It sounds like more than it actually is. 

I've finished the assault squad

gMEG7tU.jpg

And prepped these dudes for priming tomorrow

jqVzMdQ.jpg

Once I'm done painting these guys, I'm down to 13 more bodies to finish up the company.