Bannockburn's hobby projects - 5th Company, DW, and more

Go to solution Solved by Cpt. Bannockburn,

Fellblades are fine, too, even though I dislike the rounded turret. But that's personal preference for you.

Since I don't play anymore, I just collect what I like to have. And since I want a more or less complete company, I have to have a TH :)

Besides, wait for the new price. Personally, I don't expect it to become cheaper, but we may yet be surprised. At least it will probably be easier to build than the classic kit.

Fellblades are fine, too, even though I dislike the rounded turret. But that's personal preference for you.

Since I don't play anymore, I just collect what I like to have. And since I want a more or less complete company, I have to have a TH :smile.:

Besides, wait for the new price. Personally, I don't expect it to become cheaper, but we may yet be surprised. At least it will probably be easier to build than the classic kit.

Ye you saw my thread im going for a complete company aswell. Still didnt post any of my green marines though.

Are you gonna get 2 more thunderhawks to carry around all 100 dudes? XD

Or 30 arrive by TH and the rest drop pod? One day I would like to see proper SM deployment army type so for every 2 Rhinos there is a TH Carrier.

Do SM have bigger drop ships to carry down vehicles?

Are you gonna get 2 more thunderhawks to carry around all 100 dudes? XD

Or 30 arrive by TH and the rest drop pod? One day I would like to see proper SM deployment army type so for every 2 Rhinos there is a TH Carrier.

I'll have enough transports to transport the whole company, but I'm not going with 10 Rhinos or something like it. There's a mix of Drop Pods, Rhinos, Razorbacks and the TH.

Do SM have bigger drop ships to carry down vehicles?

To my knowledge only the TH transporter variant, which can carry 2 Rhino chassis tanks or 1 Land Raider variant.

And there's the Storm Bird of course, but those are Heresy-era, mostly, just like Fellblades and other relics of the forge.

And no, I won't buy a Storm Bird anytime soon. Before I do that, there'll be a Warlord visiting. And before that several years of saving up, and probably one or two actual cars :wink:

Today, I've tried out pre-shading with the airbrush. It's not as easy as it sounds, and it came to my attention that my pot of Ushabti Bone is emptier than I previously thought. This means: no interior painting happened :sad.:

On the other hand, the exterior worked okay, as you can see. I've made a few mistakes which were easily covered up, and I'm getting more confident. The result is a very smooth coat, which I like.

rhino_step1.jpg

Also, I greenstuffed the Beast where possible and necessary at this junction. Liquid green stuff was very helpful there.

I'm hoping to start with the interior next weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Not dead, just slowly plodding along.

I'm still learning to airbrush and waiting for plasticard to fix the upper hull and construct something for the internal lighting.

In the mean time, I've started (and almost finished) painting the pilots. Here's the current progress on them.

Overview:

pilots_1.jpg

As you can see, one of the arms broke off the steering column, but that's easily fixable and actually makes the job of painting easier.

I've also replaced one of the bald heads with a tech marine helmet and plundered my bitzbox for DA and techmarine shoulder pads.

Closeup:

pilots_2.jpg

Edit: Green highlights and buzzcut are left to do, as well as a wash with green ink over the armor, followed by matte varnish.

Edited by Cpt. Bannockburn

My plasticard came early, so I've started construction on the LED cable trenches and tried my hand at soldering.

Here are the results. First, a look at the LED strip, which isn't finished. The first LED is in place, but the epoxy needs to set before I start soldering on the other two.

led_1.jpg

Here you can see the "engine room". The battery pack will be located in the hindmost space under a turbine thingy I'm constructing from plasticard and leftover bits.

Currently, it's empty apart from the attachment point for the cables.

cabling_1.jpg

And finally, here's a look at the cargo space, where the cables come out and will connect to the LED strip that's going to be glued under the flight deck.

cabling_2.jpg

I've also epoxied the supporting plasticard to the back part of the upper fuselage to repair the damage resulting from the earlier mistake.

repairs.jpg

I did a glowy thing!

glow_1.jpg

It's provisionally cabled for now. The final connection will be made when the interior is painted, but for a test run it's looking pretty good.

What you can also see is

1.) Antennae I added to the ailerons

2.) Where the resin is very thin. I'm thinking about reinforcing those places with plasticard.

The upper hull is repaired and in one piece, but for now only held together with green stuff. I'll take it apart once more to apply the epoxy once the green stuff is cured.

This is pretty big news, since that means I can start painting the interior!

I'm looking forward to more of your Thunderhawk; yours is the first I've seen with LEDs, which promises to be extremely cool.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your comment, although I cannot claim the LEDs as my idea. Blackadder for one thing has his kitted out similarly and there are many others who have done the same :smile.:

Anyways, kind of a big update, picture-wise at least. I haven't actually done that much except fixing and ... Well, I'll let you see.

First, we have a picture of the finished battery pack and cabling:

cabling_3.jpg

Second, some repairs with green stuff, filling up major gaps. I hate working with it, to be honest.

repairs_2.jpg

Now, a preliminary glory shot, fully assembled apart from one sensor, turrets and missiles.

frontal_1.jpg

What's that? Are those ... Yes, they are pilots, and they're painted. Please excuse the bad picture quality. More closeups will come, in better quality, once I've painted the flight deck.

pilots_4.jpg

pilots_5.jpg

pilots_3.jpg

Wow. Fantastic work.

You're a talented hobbyist in all areas - conversion, construction, painting, etc.

Great to see.

Edited by Bryan Blaire
Removed Off Topic comment.

Thank you for your comments and praise :smile.:

Sete: I have honestly no idea. I never modelled successor chapter anythings, so I never thought about that particular question.

In my mind, the official Unforgiven chapters would probably use the same symbols, while homebrewed successors could use literally anything you like.

• 3 weeks later...

A few days have passed by.

I have constructed a new airbrush station and to inaugurate it, I've primed a lot of the beast, excepting the exterior of the main body.

Since those pictures would have been boring, I present you now with what I've been up to elsewhere, and the actual progress of basecoating the interior.

First, I've finished a few veterans. They're done, apart from some touch ups on the decals and a coat of purity seal.

vets.jpg

Second, I've basecoated (and started shading) the DW Knights. Nothing exciting, but I really like the models.

dw_knights.jpg

Finally, the basecoated interior of the Thunderhawk, meaning I can start painting it in earnest. Once that's done, the nose will be epoxied on and I'll start on the outside.

interior.jpg

The assault ramp is almost done (at least the interior part), but since it's one piece that will be visible easily, I'll weather it some more with a sponging technique.

assault_ramp.jpg

Wicked work! Especially that power axe, any chance we could get a close up of the blade? It's hard to tell, but it looks like a blue marble effect, and I'm really digging it!

Sure! 

Ask and ye shall receive:

power_axe-e1496136738936.jpg

It's how I do all my power weapons. I don't really paint them in a planned way. This is just a very watered down coat of light blue over a dark blue undercoat, then I pull pure, undiluted white into the blue, resulting in the cloudy look. Fastest way to do power weapons I've yet to come across.

In the meantime, I shaded the interior of the Beast, but I've not taken pictures yet, since it just looks dirty.

Sweet! Thanks for the close up Capt. That's actually very inspiring, I might try a few variations of that. I've been hitting a wall lately with power weapons, just can't seem to find an effect I'm happy with.

Just keep in mind that you need to really water down the lighter blue (or whichever color you choose). If you think, it's enough, add a little more water.

I've also found that an edge highlight of the lightest color over the still wet paint will look really nice.

I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Here's some progress I've made on the Deathwing Knights. I plan to have them finished when 8E hits.

The Beast is plodding along, with a very dirty interior right now. I'll have to clean that up. Once that's done, there'll be pictures, but don't expect them tomorrow.

On the plus side, the new season OITNB is doing wonders for my productivity.

A group shot:

dw_knights_group_1.jpg

And a close up of my test mini. Sorry for the blurriness, the light isn't great. Pretty rainy outside today.

He's a bit further along with the bone.

dw_knight_1.jpg

While I'm busy painting the interior, I decided to use the battle cannon to do a color test with the VMA green I've got.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really come close to Caliban Green, so I'm forced to find another solution. It'll probably be great for my planned IG tanks, though, I think.

Here you can see the difference to Caliban Green:

colour_test.jpg

In the meantime, have an almost finished Deathwing Knight. Things left to do: Neatening up, a few highlights.

dw_knight_2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Today, I've airbrushed a bunch of Primaris Marines. But I've been up to more than that. 

Besides the Primaris, I've also taken an inventory of my painting projects (meaning miniatures that are at least primed)

This posting will be an overview of that. But first the good news: The test DW Knight is done and I'm happy with him.

dwk_1.jpg

Here's what's actually right now on my painting table:

plasma_wip1.jpg

And a group shot of the Death Wing terminators that are to be done. Five of those, as well as three (or four) more knights are the next project, and next week I will buy another box to build an Ancient, a proper Apothecary, another plasma cannon terminator, a DW Champion and the fifth knight, to complete the squad.

deathwing_all_wip1.jpg

Then there's a DV limited edition chaplain that will represent my Asmodai. He's currently accompanied by, yes, in all their mediocre glory, an Assault on Black Reach tactical squad.

asmodai_br_wip1.jpg

Then there are three tanks. I've already shown you closeups of the Rhino, but there's also a fully magnetized Predator (waiting for a few minor repairs) and a vindicator.

tanks_wip1.jpg

I've also decided to finish Sammael on his speeder (I owe him, he's been like this for ages), and two DV RW bike squads to bring more of that black goodness into my display cabinet.

Currently, they're pretty much in pieces, three of the bikes are undercoated.

sammael_speeder_dv_wip1.jpg

Of course, I've also bought some things, because I'm excited for 8E and the prospect of playing again. As you may already have seen on the other pictures, I've bought a battle mat. Coincidentally, that also makes a great background for photography.

I plan to build a gaming table with a lowered pit in 6" by 4" format, but currently my living room doesn't have space for a 2m table, so for now the battle mat and three 2" x 4" will have to suffice for home games.

battlemat.jpg

Oh yeah. Here are the Primaris marines. I've not converted them much, but the captain and one of the lieutenants have DA swords instead of the usual. 

primaris_all_wip1.jpg

primars_cpt_wip1.jpgprimaris_lt_wip1.jpg

Furthermore, I've re-decorated some of my army's bases with Valhallan Blizzard. The result is most striking on my Knight. The snow doesn't look yellow at all IRL, so keep that in mind when looking at the images.

knight_final.jpg

base_detail.jpg

Of course, I've also worked on the Thunderhawk, but that will have to wait for a bit now. I've decided to first finish all the models I need for a full 1850-2000pt Deathwing list. Afterwards, the Beast will get some more love.

Here's the result of the new color with which I've also airbrushed the other green marines and vehicles. I'm pretty happy with it and can see myself seriously starting once the interior is done.

colour_test2.jpg

I also started painting exterior details, starting with the landing gear and the wing HB turret mountings.

landing_gear_wip1.jpg

Speaking of the interior, I've also had some little progress here. The flight deck needs detailing, and the lower and rear compartment haven't been started, but from what I did to the nose interior and the flight deck, I think I've managed to pin down the techniques I want to use.

flight_deck_wip1.jpg

Another exterior detail, the air brake compartments look like this now:

air_brakes_wip1.jpg

wow ... just wow.  Great progress so far, all looking very good indeed!

Can't wait to see more!!!

Thank you! I endeavor to finishing at least some terminators this week.

Looking great, but will it blend?

Ask me again once I've used it on the TT and it got shot at by a Reaver or something like it. :biggrin.:

Edited by Cpt. Bannockburn