[HH1.0] Imperial Fists Tactics

Slips

So, I completely forgot that I have a Plasma Obliterator. I got it built and primed for my CSM before moving back to the US, and rediscovered it yesterday. I think I am gonna paint it up neutral and build a Fist list around it. Also going to try building lists around other fortifications for Fisty fluff purposes. Edited by Unholyechoes

What are people's thoughts/ experiences with taking Dorn in a list?

Is he worth it / the LoW slot?

How do you get the best out of him?

I like to run the SG RoW and currently see him leading a squad of storm shield terminators (cataphractii) with a Primus Medicae, transported in a spartan.

I find Dorn to be rather disappointing. He's expensive point cost just isn't worth it for one of the most generic primarchs. His wargear is okay, but thats all you can say about it. He's really good at murdering blobs of marines, but tell me which Primarch isn't. Comparatively (to other primarchs) he is easily taken down by a good size squad of terminators. He has some useful legion rules, Honestly I think he would shine best if you were to bring at least 4 (preferably more) Tactical squads. I would probably either run him by himself and sic him after dev or tac squads or possible a squad of 2 or 3 quad mortars and let him snack on those all game. Avoid primarch on primarch fights, Dorn will loose to like 12/18 of the other primarchs and Tie or win against the other 6.

The problem is, is that you can do better things with the points it costs to take him such as.. Bringing a couple squads of Vets, A butt-load of quad mortars, a couple of contemptor dreds, a Typhon Heavy siege tank, Three Scorpius whirlwinds, A few Medusa's or Basiliks, a Deathstar... See where I'm going, the thing is there are just better things you could be doing with those points.

After all is said and done though, He's still a Primarch, more importantly he's our Primarch. There is a Russian dude that has casted a good looking model for him and if you really wanna run him then do it.

Final Anecdote/Rant. He doesn't even have rules for fortifying his position! I mean Come On! I'm starting to think those Alpha Legion guys may have a point that our current Dorn is just an undercover agent! How Can He Be Dorn If He Doesn't Fortify His Position!

Edited by Delakar

I think Dorn isn't to bad. Now he's not outstanding and his buffs are pretty lackluster (though terminator storm shield troops are kind of fun). He still brings a decent amount of actually kill potential as long as you can use rampage. The AEtos Dios is also appealing as it's an appropriately costed thunderhawk unlike the stock one which is overcosted (I still wouldn't use it below 3.5-4k).

He's not terrible he's also really cheap which is where he comes out good looking probably best run without to many other points in hqs and a small terminator unit. I'd also say it's him or Sigsmund and not both.

Primarchs as a whole generally aren't the most competitive choice so if we look at him in terms of his brothers vs him vs a typhon he looks much better post buff)

Edited by Purge the Daemon

IMHO, Rogal Dorn is awesome, particularly in "Stone Gauntlet":

- he makes Terminators Troops (helping the Troops/Elies balancing act),

- all units have Ld10 (helping their defensive nature),

- he buffs all units' combat resolution by D3 (meaning they're more likely to win combat).

- he's also a beatstick character with a TONNE of S6/7 AP2 Shred attacks.

And Delakar, he does help defensively. Check out his "Unshakable Defence" special rule. :)

I never understood people thinking that Dorn being crap. He's a very cheap Primarch. He provide really good buffs. He kick seven shades out of the vast majority of infantry. If you get him stuck in combat with another Primarch or a unit that can take him down then that's your bad boo hoo. You should've been more tactically aware.

Plus even if Dorn gets into a primarch vs primarch fight, it's not like he's going down quickly because he's no slouch in combat. Sure, statistically he might lose to most primarchs, but that's over ten or so rounds of combat, which you often won't have in one game. All Dorn would need to do if caught in a fight with another primarch is survive. Now there are exceptions to that of course, Horus, Leman Russ and Magnus with the right powers are going to wreck other primarchs fairly quickly. 

Has anyone had much experience with Cataphrachtii with vigil pattern storm shields and Stone gauntlett?

Grab your Primus Medicae, Chaplain and Preator and load up in a Spartan. Bring on the pain that will grind anything down. Only Vindicators stop your FNP.

Has anyone had much experience with Cataphrachtii with vigil pattern storm shields and Stone gauntlett?

Grab your Primus Medicae, Chaplain and Preator and load up in a Spartan. Bring on the pain that will grind anything down. Only Vindicators stop your FNP.

Kill the Spartan in turn one and a ~thousand points do :cuss the whole game.

Fists/Chain Fists because concussive will rarely, if ever, come into play. Only reason I have hammers modeled is because I ran out of Fists :\

Only times hammers are useful is if youre consistently up against Custodes, Gal Vorbak or Mechanicum Bots.

Well here's the thing. Dorn doesn't suck that was never a problem he just isn't all that great. My problem is, is that after giving dorn a squad to run with and a transport. Point wise you are usually looking at anywhere from 1/3rd-1/2 your army taken up by a bunch of units that are just okay; not great, not bad, just okay.

Well here's the thing. Dorn doesn't suck that was never a problem he just isn't all that great. My problem is, is that after giving dorn a squad to run with and a transport. Point wise you are usually looking at anywhere from 1/3rd-1/2 your army taken up by a bunch of units that are just okay; not great, not bad, just okay.

Welcome to pretty much every other primarch + retinue build across all legions; a few of them have it worse with their primarchs costing between 425-500 instead of our 385.

Kill the Spartan in turn one and a ~thousand points do :cuss the whole game.

I guess that's why Spartans aren't a thing. ;)

I actually like the look of Dorn's special rules, but would likely only take him for a kill points game. I would probably load him in Spartan with chainfist/stormshield cataphractii and an apothecary/primus medicae/narthecium knight errant with protector chosen.

I like concept of Aetos Dios, but it is an expensive, difficult model if compared to Peturabo's Tormentor which is 1/4 the price and takes less skill and alteration to build.

His fortification buff would be great on an Imperial Defense Network, Imperial Bunker, or Aegis Defense Line. Throw full squads of tacs or heavy support in them put quads right behind.