[HH1.0] Imperial Fists Tactics

Slips

Well here's the thing. Dorn doesn't suck that was never a problem he just isn't all that great. My problem is, is that after giving dorn a squad to run with and a transport. Point wise you are usually looking at anywhere from 1/3rd-1/2 your army taken up by a bunch of units that are just okay; not great, not bad, just okay.

Compared to what though?

It seems that if you have a Primarch that doesn't have movement shenanigans then the go to option is to load him and a retinue into a flare shielded Spartan and charge them at the enemy. That will soak up a ton of points not matter whether your Primarch is 500 points of 385 points.

Take Dorn and small squad (so he gets Rampage) of Templar Brethren or a Command Squad and throw them against power armoured equipped enemies. Watch those enemies evaporate then move onto the next target.

Edited by The Native

Yep; but PM's can still take Thunderhammers so all we really trade is concussive for MC & Ap1...which is fine by me. Means I don't have to rip off the arms on my primary Primus Medicae mini.

Also, with how combat is shaping up to be in 8th, Phalanx Warders might actually become useful if Unwieldy on Power Axes is a thing of the past but we'll have to wait until we see CC weapon profiles.

And, if Power Swords are indeed -3 Saves at the least, the Templars no longer become wet noodles vs 2+ saves.

I hope unwieldy on power axes is gone, it would likely have a tradeoff though, like an extra 5 points or something. Otherwise there would be no reason for anyone to ever take the weaker power sword if they are the same speed. Edited by Unholyechoes

We'll see when they release CC Weapon Profiles. There is some talk that Thunderhammers are probably going to have a swing penalty of some kind so we'll see.

He would essentially have a Wrecker/Tank Hunting S8 Ap1 Power Fist too.

Also, phosphex bombs if you want any.

That said, having that many points in a ball of templar is probably not the best idea.

He would essentially have a Wrecker/Tank Hunting S8 Ap1 Power Fist too.

Also, phosphex bombs if you want any.

That said, having that many points in a ball of templar is probably not the best idea.

In a competetive game I would definitely agree. The whole list I am making at the moment is meant to entertain me. Expensive CC/HQ squad, two tac squads with Multi-Melta Rhinos, 4 Phosphex Quad Launchers, and a Leviathan with Melta Lances, Volkites, and Phosphex.

My Siege Breaker has slain Knight Titans... really depends on your meta imo. :)

My meta is 'exercise in futility', as I am 45 minutes from the nearest FLGS, twice that from closest GW, and the few people in the town I am in can't handle anything more complicated than fishing.

If power axes get tp strike first on the charge in 8th i am getting 20 phalanx warders. They would be unbelievable charging out of my Spartan or Mastadon.

I love the models but i feel they are a missed opportunity with unwieldy.

Seems it won't matter. Both the FW site and the Warhammer Digital site say we'll be sticking with the 7th edition rules.

I agree that the models are pretty awesome.

Edited by Unholyechoes

^For now...

Anyone make use of Firestorm Redoubts?

I'm toying with taking one to anchor my SG list round. Perhaps swapping one quad lascannon for a battlecannon or punisher cannon.

Worth a go or too expensive (points wise)?

If power axes get tp strike first on the charge in 8th i am getting 20 phalanx warders. They would be unbelievable charging out of my Spartan or Mastadon.

I love the models but i feel they are a missed opportunity with unwieldy.

Seems it won't matter. Both the FW site and the Warhammer Digital site say we'll be sticking with the 7th edition rules.

I agree that the models are pretty awesome.

This is only temporary though. Likely holding time till GW developes new red books and FAQs fpr special rules etc.

The only way FW can stay with 7th is if they reprint 7th ed rules as the 7th ed BRB is going out of print. So the options are either allow 30k to become a legacy system that obly old players can play, as new players can't buy the core rules, or move it to 8th. Given the popularity of 30k, I'd assume the switch will happen this calendar year to enable them to make full use of the Christmas retail window where people will want major bits of kit or new armies.

Second question:

What are people's thoughts on the Mastodon?

I'm thinking of using it to add some much needed protection & mobility to my SG list but I think it might be a massively points sink.

Does anyone have much experience with it?

Second question:

What are people's thoughts on the Mastodon?

I'm thinking of using it to add some much needed protection & mobility to my SG list but I think it might be a massively points sink.

Does anyone have much experience with it?

It's a lot of points it's hard to kill but you'll find without flare shields it still actually dies at a relatively quick rate.

And yeah it's a huge amount of points and it's not tons better than a Spartan. It's weapon systems are meh (thought the aa gun is actually nice). 40 transport is kind of cool but you find you run out really fast especially with terminators and dreads.

The biggest issue is it sits in at the same price as a warhounds or ordinatus which are single handed game winners at 3k points the mastodon really isn't the same.

Did the discussion on if the Hammerfell strike force was workable come to a consensus? The drawbacks seem really steep to me but I might be missing something.

But I love the idea of Deepstriking breachers, there away to make that happen outside of the HSF?