[HH1.0] Imperial Fists Tactics

Slips

Yes and no.

Any good opponent will destroy the command rhino T1.

Which means you’d loose the reserve manipulation and the deep strike bubble (it’s happened to me numerous times - despite my best efforts at hiding it).

Yes and no.

Any good opponent will destroy the command rhino T1.

Which means you’d loose the reserve manipulation and the deep strike bubble (it’s happened to me numerous times - despite my best efforts at hiding it).

That.

And to be honest:

Teleporting Terminators are not that dangerous.

Augury Scanners, good positioning and field control can ruin any tellyporters attacks. ;)

It looks cool though.

• 4 weeks later...
Alright friends, I need some assistance here. I recently acquired a trio of Javelins but have no idea how to arm them besides the missile launchers; what do fellow Fist players typically run? I can understand running Multi Meltas for having a pure tank hunting platform, but I also see the merits of running Heavy Bolters.

Alright friends, I need some assistance here. I recently acquired a trio of Javelins but have no idea how to arm them besides the missile launchers; what do fellow Fist players typically run? I can understand running Multi Meltas for having a pure tank hunting platform, but I also see the merits of running Heavy Bolters.

Rockets, rockets and MM are the way to go.

Heavy Bolters do shi... not much usually ;)

Unless its 8th ed or they have Sniper, Heavy Bolters arent worth it.

Just go

For the standard 5 S8 Shot on arrival build of TLCML, 2x HK, MM per Javelin.

Dont point it at anything Av14 thats likely to have Armoured Ceramite or youll be fishing for 6s to do anything.

Otherwise, its good to go vs anything else; the S8 helping you take nibbles out of FNP’d marine squads.

We still roll with the not-idiotic-Sniper of the FAQ where you always use your better wound-roll if the weapon in question has access to one if it has sniper.

So melta and plasma still wounds on 2 and HBs on 3s vs T4

Because being a good shot with a stronger gun doesnt mean it suddenly makes it harder to kill your target.

Edited by Slips

We still roll with the not-idiotic-Sniper of the FAQ where you always use your better wound-roll if the weapon in question has access to one if it has sniper.

Because being a good shot with a stronger gun doesnt mean it suddenly makes it harder to kill your target.

We don't because it nerfes Veterans which is absolutely necessary as we all know.

Of course it makes no sense but it makes the game so much better.

Are there any other units with Sniper AND S5+ units in the game anyway?

As far as I know it only nerfes Veterans and like I said:

That's great.

Oh, and by the way on the weekender (or what it was called) they showed a little glimpse of the upcoming FAQ in which they confirmed that they made the Sniper rule on purpose.

We don't because it nerfes Veterans which is absolutely necessary as we all know.

That's great.

Oh, and by the way on the weekender (or what it was called) they showed a little glimpse of the upcoming FAQ in which they confirmed that they made the Sniper rule on purpose.

No, that FAQ got rid of the abuse with Blasts - like "rending" flamers or Grenade launchers from Sniper.

That's great.

No, that FAQ got rid of the abuse with Blasts - like "rending" flamers or Grenade launchers from Sniper.

But it didn't say that weapons with Sniper and strength bigger than 4 wound better then 4+ in opposite to the old 7th FAQ where they did just that. ;)

We'll see when (or if) the FAQ comes.

Untill then it is what it is:

A good nerf for the horrible overpowerd (because undercosted) Legion Veterans squads.

Besides: Veterans are still awesome. I played against Imperial Fists just Tuesday and his Veterans where scary whith their BS5 Bolters.

The thing is, all this change does for IF is make oht Veteran Squads 40pts cheaper since there no real advantage to taking Heavy Bolters w/ Suspensors anymore if you use the old/new/whatever ruling.

With the 7th FAQ you paid 20pts for a weapkn that wounded MEQ on a 3+ and everything better on a 4+. You then had the choice to either make it assault 3 at 18” or heavy 3 up to 36” put which was a nice little bit of tactical play.

Now, youll just see naked bolter vets with their cheapest possible loadout.

The thing is, all this change does for IF is make oht Veteran Squads 40pts cheaper since there no real advantage to taking Heavy Bolters w/ Suspensors anymore if you use the old/new/whatever ruling.

With the 7th FAQ you paid 20pts for a weapkn that wounded MEQ on a 3+ and everything better on a 4+. You then had the choice to either make it assault 3 at 18” or heavy 3 up to 36” put which was a nice little bit of tactical play.

Now, youll just see naked bolter vets with their cheapest possible loadout.

Well, I used them that way even before the nerf because that seems reasonable for me. Cheap and very good scoring unit which dishes out a lot of damage. But I give them alway Melterbombs. Makes them even better.

On the other hand I field them as Machine Killers as well. In a Dreadclaw they are outstanding at killing vehicles. Even the tough ones with Armoured Ceramite because basically they have a mobile Lascannon with DS1 in their pocket. ;)

And in my group even Weaponmasters are popping up which is the direct result of that nerf. I know from my humble experience that tabletop players are sort of closed-minded when it comes to changes but even the most stubborn will adept at some point and see the benefit of the other Legion Veterans traits.

For me it always had payed of to get out of the box and try other concepts.

Is there a way of giving Dorn a teleportation transponder?

He only has a Teleporter Homer; dont think you can give him one with Hammerfall.

Edited by Slips

He only has a Teleporter Homer; dont think you can give him one with Hammerfall.

Darn, that's what I was debating starting up.

Well, heres the thing, Hammerfall, despite being very lackluster in what it gives you, does allow ICs and, iirc, even named characters to buy Teleportation Transponders and Dorn is an IC; albeit a LoW.

So, technically, he should be able to do so.

The main question is, apart from a narrative/fluff standpoint, why would you want to Deepstrike him with a Teleportation Transponder to being with?

Darn, that's what I was debating starting up.

Well, heres the thing, Hammerfall, despite being very lackluster in what it gives you, does allow ICs and, iirc, even named characters to buy Teleportation Transponders and Dorn is an IC; albeit a LoW.

So, technically, he should be able to do so.

The main question is, apart from a narrative/fluff standpoint, why would you want to Deepstrike him with a Teleportation Transponder to being with?

Purely narrative/fluff. 

Im building a "small" 3k IF force based around Breachers and Phalanx Wardens and wanted to included Dorn. 

Well, the only time I can see Hammerfall working is if you go out of your way to not include - or very minimally include - any vehicles since they'll all have to start in reserves meaning things like the Damocles and Proteus won't be on the board until T2 earliest to help you with reserve rolls and Deepstrikes that would occur on T3/4.

You'll basically want some Recon Marines infiltrating with a Nuncio-Vox and hope they survive long enough to ensure scatterless drops for units that hopefully also include Nuncio's so that you can daisy chain them.

Otherwise, Breachers and Warders being 10 man minimum size means that any form of scattering is likely to end up poorly and you definitely dont want to lose Dorn to a mishap.

Well, the only time I can see Hammerfall working is if you go out of your way to not include - or very minimally include - any vehicles since they'll all have to start in reserves meaning things like the Damocles and Proteus won't be on the board until T2 earliest to help you with reserve rolls and Deepstrikes that would occur on T3/4.

You'll basically want some Recon Marines infiltrating with a Nuncio-Vox and hope they survive long enough to ensure scatterless drops for units that hopefully also include Nuncio's so that you can daisy chain them.

Otherwise, Breachers and Warders being 10 man minimum size means that any form of scattering is likely to end up poorly and you definitely dont want to lose Dorn to a mishap.

Yea, I've came to those conclusions myself.

I mostly intend the IF to be played in the larger games I sometimes take part in, where the Wolves will deploy in full force and 3k points is a drop in the bucket. 

Trying to build a force around Breachers is somewhat tough. 

If theyre going to be part of a larger army, then why not go for an Orbital Assault detachment? Pods means you have guaranteed T1 presence, scatter protection as well as something else your opponent(s) will need to deal with.

Your breachers will essentially be using Meltaguns for their special weapons; Warders most likely Plasma Guns since they have access to them.

The idea will essentially be you dropping down an aggressive gunline; hopefully making use out of Dorns terrain fortifying ability.

Additionally, if you do go with Hammerfall, you'll definitely want to make the most use out of Dreadnoughts in Dreadpods since, if they aren't an allied detachment, they will be your only source of potential Anti-Tank outside of Support Squads and Bikes that will be available on the table T1.

Wait, the OA RoW says sanybody that can take Rhinos can instead take pods...Breachers and Phalanx Warders cannot take Rhinos.

Well, you wont be using your FA Slots all that much so you can Dreadclaw them in; additionally, if you want a bigger squad, you can do Kharybdis'

For Dorn, you could give him a PA Armor Squad which should have access to a rhino and thus a regular Pod.