Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Imperial Fists Tactics

Imperial Fists Legion

• Please log in to reply
1659 replies to this topic

Bung

Bung

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 403 posts

Punisher - Great for BRRRRRRRT, and Fast too. However, if you're planning on taking a bunch of Volkite in the form of a Heavy Support Squad and the Contemptor, then it's probably doing much the same as those, AND taking up a HS slot. If it were me, I'd probably drop the HSS and take the Sicaran because it's IMHO the coolest looking variant, but YMMV. Also, a VII Legion HSS with Lascannons is never a bad choice. They could cover your anti-armour, and the Punisher can whip around chomping up infantry.

Arcus - At the moment, this is almost a 'That Guy' choice. It's not broken, but its current rules are very, very good. It's a threat to everything, especially vehicles because one of its missile types gives you D3 rolls on the damage chart for Pens. Try it out by all means, but it may not be a completely beer and pretzels choice.

Caestus - I've not used one myself, but have seen it used to great effect as a means of dropping your Warlord (or a Primarch) and a stack of Terminators into exactly the worst possible place. It's a flyer obviously, so it comes with some downsides and disadvantages, but it's AV13 and hits like a Tank. Think of it like a Mini-Thunderhawk that you can crash into things and you won't be far off. However, again, it's a HS choice, which is getting crowded!

Glaive/Stormblade - Putting these together because you only get one LoW choice and they're kind of similar. I'd put the Glaive over the Stormblade simply because it's a 'proper' Legion tank and, you know, big Volkite gun. However, for all the advantages of the Beam rule its main gun gets, the Glaive still only hits at S8, whereas the Stormblade manages S10, with a 10" blast, no less.

Thank you that helpes alot. 

I know the Punisher will do the same as the HSS with Volkite, but on the other side i wont see much armour as most are still building the Legions on a limited budget. So i wont have to fear more than one Spartan or Leviathan Dread.

We will mostly play 2000 Points games, or less, so i want to bring at least one thing to roll a bucket of dice (i missed that with skirmish games).

Same goes for the Arcus Variant cause the firing options are something i like in smaller games for more options.

Didint think the rocket launcher was a bit over the top with Str 8 and 3 dice on the damage chart. I am probably going to test it.

The Glaive is huge, and its just a S8 Volkite ray, no template really, you buy this one for the looks, not for expecting it to perform on the battlefield. All the other tanks built on the same chassi have guns that are better than this one, so if you expect battlefield performance, go for the Falchion instead, although it doesn't look nowhere as cool as the Glaive.

If you want to get any of the Sicaran versions, I suggest that you buy the Sicaran you want (I got the regular one with autocannons), and the you also by this:

https://bitsofwar.co...pio-turret.html

Well i would buy the Glaive for the looks, but i wasnt sure if its ok, to bring it to games where others are more limited in their choices. I dont want to kill the fun for the other players cause i brought something to the table thats not fun to play against and i like the image of a gaint beam gun shooting through normal tanks.

Thanks for the Kromlech link, i already orderes there for other projects. But i personal prefer the FW turrets over the Kromlech one, so think to get the Sicaran variant bundle and have all 4. I like them all so its more a question what style i should bring the next game. 

Slips

Slips

++ ARCHIMAGIRUS RUDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,587 posts
  • Faction: V,VII,IX,XII,XV Legions

Dont forget though that AoD games have a limit of 25% on LoW selections for amies meaning if you guys will be playing 2k point games, a maximum of 500 points can be used for those selections.

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

++Part of the ship...Part of the Crew++

+] Use the Report Button! [+

Bung

Bung

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 403 posts
Thats ok, i could only bring it in big teamplay games anyways.
  • Slips likes this

WolfLogic

WolfLogic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4 posts

Curious how you all feel about this list as a generalist army at 2000pts. This is my first real list and I picked it mostly because I liked the models and don’t really plant to be super competitive with it. I’d like some help refining the points on each model a bit though so I don’t get steamrolled

HQ (120pts):

Delegatus

-Artificer Armor

-Refractor Field

-Melta Bombs

-Plasma Pistol

-Power Sword

Elites (645pts):

2x Contemptor Dreadnought

-Twin Linked Lascannon

-Havok Launcher

Terminator Squad (5 man)

-Teleport Transponder

-Cataphractii Armor

-4x Power Axe

-3x Combi Bolter

-1x Plasma Blaster

--Sergeant w/

---Grenade Harness

---Power Sword

---Combi Bolter

Troops (795pts):

3x Tactical Squad

-Nuncio Vox

-Bolters

--Sergeant w/

---Artificer Armor

---Melta Bombs

--Rhino w/

---Heavy Bolter

---Hunter Killer Missile

Tactical Support Squad

-Volkite Calivers

--Sergeant w/

---Artificer Armor

---Combi Plasma

--Rhino w/

---Heavy Bolter

---Hunter Killer Missile

Heavy Support (440pts):

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought

-Drop Pod

-Grav Flux Bombard

-Siege Drill

-Armored Ceramite

-Phosphex Discharger

Edited by WolfLogic, 13 March 2019 - 06:55 AM.

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,620 posts

Nice start! But you can optimize this a fair amount for sure!

Overall List

- Three tactical squads in Rhinos is quite an investment for basically no power. I'd take two at the most OR upgrade these to Veterans using the Delegatus' Rite of War: Chosen Duty. That way they can be given some more gear and special rules to beef out their role. I'd then suggest keeping them as 3 squads for sure.

Delegatus

- Power Swords are basically useless in 30k, any and every sergeant will have Artificer armour meaning your sword bounces off. You want an axe or better yet a fist/ thunder-hammer/ Solarite gauntlet to take advantage of the free-master craft that the Delegatus gets (though being an IF you already re-roll 1s in challenges).

- Speaking even broarder, why a Delegatus? I can't see any Rites of War you are running so any other consul may be better suited? However if you go with the above change to veterans then it will work.

Contemptors

- You can save some points by making these into Cortus Contemptors, or i'd consider specializing each one: Making one a full combat Cortus and the other a double-lascannon Mortis Contemptor.

Terminators

- I'd simply add more combi-weapons into these. With the advantage of Teleportation transponders you want to maximise the firepower on the deep strike.

Leviathan

- He's great, nothing to change.

================

Doing a quick bit of list-hammer, you can make the changes above - drop the Caliver squad and still keep 3 10man strong Veteran Squads with 200pts left over to give them whatever gear you want!

I'd recommend:

Anti-infantry squad: Scout ability and some plasma guns + combi-volkite.

Anti-vehicle squad: Machine Killers ability and some melta guns + Combi-melta

Close Combat squad: A mix of power weapons, the WS5 upgrade and have the Delegatus roll with these maybe.

Edited by Charlo, 13 March 2019 - 09:19 AM.

• WolfLogic likes this

WolfLogic

WolfLogic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4 posts

I did the revising you suggested and came out with this. There are definitely a few places I can squeeze out more points because I’m only at 1958 but I wasn’t really sure where to put them.

Rite of War: Chosen Duty

HQ (125pts):

Delegatus

-Artificer Armor

-Refractor Field

-Plasma Pistol

-Solerite Power Gauntlet

Elites (563pts):

Contemptor Cortus

-2x Close Combat Weapons (Bolters)

Contemptor Mortis

-Twin Linked Lascannon

Terminator Squad (5 man)

-Teleport Transponder

-Cataphractii Armor

-4x Power Axe

-2x Combi Volkite

-1x Plasma Blaster

-1x Combi Plasma

--Sergeant w/

---Grenade Harness

---Power Axe

---Combi Plasma

Troops (840pts):

Veteran Tactical Squad (Stalkers)

-9x bolt pistol

-9x chain sword

-5x combi plasma

-4x combi volkite

--Sergeant

---Artificer Armor

---Power Axe

---Combi Plasma

Veteran Tactical Squad (Machine Killers)

-9x bolt pistol

-9x chain sword

-5x combi melta

-2x combi plasma

-2x melta gun

--Sergeant

---Artificer Armor

---Power Axe

---Combi Plasma

Veteran Tactical Squad (Weapon Masters)

-9x bolt pistol

-9x bolters

-4x power axe

-4x power maul

-1x power sword

--Sergeant

---Artificer Armor

---Power Axe

---Combi Volkite

Heavy Support (440pts):

-Drop Pod

-Grav Flux Bombard

-Siege Drill

-Armored Ceramite

-Phosphex Discharger

-2x Twin Linked Volkite Calivers

Edited by WolfLogic, 13 March 2019 - 08:16 PM.

Elzender

Elzender

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 745 posts
Looks nice, and I really don't have any list-building experience at all, but I have the feeling that your list is lacking a bit of mobility. The machine killers and weaponmasters veteran squads would probably benefit from some kind of transportation, as otherwise they will likely have a hard time reachimg their intended targets due to their short range/melee orientation. You could use the 42 spare points in a rhino if I recall correctly, and maybe try to save some points elsewhere to get a second one? If you want the delegatus to join the weaponmasters, maybe you can remove one legionary from the squad, so they can fit all together in a rhino, and maybe that will help getting the necessary points for another one for the machine killers.

Edited by Elzender, 14 March 2019 - 09:50 AM.

My blog (in Spanish): http://suenosdeuncon...logspot.com.es/

ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpggallery_48988_10069_73849.png

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,620 posts

Great development on the list, my only comments would be to specialize your squads.

Terminators should be all combi-plasma. Machine Killers should be all melta etc.

If you wanted some more variety, you could take out the Stalker Vet Squad and replace them with seekers - this would give you a proper anti-infantry presence :)

Gorgoff

Gorgoff

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,819 posts
  • Faction: IVth Legion

Great development on the list, my only comments would be to specialize your squads.

Terminators should be all combi-plasma. Machine Killers should be all melta etc.

If you wanted some more variety, you could take out the Stalker Vet Squad and replace them with seekers - this would give you a proper anti-infantry presence :)

I second this and add some points.

Terminator Squad needs a Chainfist on the sergeant. Comes in handy way more often then you may think.
Deop the Power Mauls on your Weaponmaster Veteran Squad as well as the Combi-volkite. They just don't need those.
The Machine Killers on the other hands could make good work out of one or two Power Mauls because they are after vehicles. Those weapons are quiet good at bashing tanks, transports and that sort of things with rear armour 10 or 11.

And Charlo is right about transports for your veterans. I'd recommand assault transport for the close combat experts and something like a Rhino (okish) or Dreadclaw/ Termite (preferable) for the Machine Killers.
Bring back Psycho Dad!
gallery_48988_10980_12646.png

WolfLogic

WolfLogic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4 posts

I’d like to thank everyone for the help and to say here’s what I have now after taking most of the suggestions to the list. To get the second Rhino, I ended up dropping the grenade harness on the terminator sergeant and the volkite calivers on the Leviathan. The Termite and Dreadclaw didn’t really seem doable without some massive changes to the list. I suppose I could bump the points up a bit but I feel like that would change the composition a lot as well. If anyone has further suggestions let me know. I ended up having 1998 points and remember that a Bolter was only 2pts on the Delegatus so I added that to round it off.

I’m also curious in what situation would you want to use Terminators with the Storm Shield. From what I understand it makes more sense to use Tartaros pattern because it gives you a flat 3+ invulnerable save regardless of what pattern you’re wearing and Tartaros has better movement. Beyond that I’m not really sure though. I’m also unsure about what other heavy support unit might be a good fit as I always hear a lot about how great the Leviathan is but not much else.

2000pt on the dot

Rite of War: Chosen Duty

HQ (127pts):

Delegatus

-Artificer Armor

-Refractor Field

-Plasma Pistol

-Bolter

-Solerite Power Gauntlet

Elites (565pts):

Contemptor Cortus

-2x Close Combat Weapons (Bolters)

Contemptor Mortis

-Twin Linked Lascannon

Terminator Squad (5 man)

-Teleport Transponder

-Cataphractii Armor

-4x Power Axe

-4x Combi Plasma

--Sergeant w/

---Chain Fist

---Combi Plasma

Troops (888pts):

Veteran Tactical Squad (Stalkers)

-9x bolt pistol

-9x chain sword

-5x combi plasma

-4x combi volkite

--Sergeant

---Artificer Armor

---Power Axe

---Combi Plasma

Veteran Tactical Squad (Machine Killers)

-9x bolt pistol

-9x chain sword

-7x combi melta

-2x melta gun

--Sergeant

---Artificer Armor

---Power Maul

---Combi Melta

--Rhino

Veteran Tactical Squad (Weapon Masters) (9-man squad, Delegates will go with these)

-8x bolt pistol

-8x bolters

-8x power axe

--Sergeant

---Artificer Armor

---Power Axe

---Combi Volkite

--Rhino 

Heavy Support (430pts):

-Drop Pod

-Grav Flux Bombard

-Siege Drill

-Armored Ceramite

-Phosphex Discharger

Edited by WolfLogic, 15 March 2019 - 06:23 PM.

• Slips likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Imperial Fists Legion

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users