ADB Interview featuring some info about the first BL book

hummus

I'm not a native english speaker, so can somebody make me a quick recap of what's said about the Black Legion and the series ?

I'd appreciate it greatly.

I listen to it yesterday so from memory.

Spoilers maybe: Subject to change maybe..

Its Talon of Horus, not Abaddon: Talon of Horus

The books protagonist is Kayon a thousand Sons sorceror.

Kayon's claim to fame is he knows Ahirman, during the rubric he took part but tried to stop midway because the rubric was mutating everyone.

The first book is before there's a black legion, its about finding Abbaddon.

Obviously Kayon becomes black Legion.

Related... Possible in the second book Sigismund will still be alive and he will be waiting for Abbaddon outside the eye. Siggy basically has heretic fever. Everyone else has forgotten about the traitors as its been hundreds of years.

That's all I could remember.

Related... Possible in the second book Sigismund will still be alive and he will be waiting for Abbaddon outside the eye. Siggy basically has heretic fever. Everyone else has forgotten about the traitors as its been hundreds of years.

Oh sweet baby Emprah.

As if I wasn't excited before, AD-B you magnificent son a gun, please let this happen.

Interesting to hear that the protagonist is a (ex?)Thousand Son, wonder what inspired that choice?

I'm not a native english speaker, so can somebody make me a quick recap of what's said about the Black Legion and the series ?

It's nothing I've not already said on the B&C (and I think I've seen you in every related thread), so you should be safe, dude. 

It's nothing I've not already said on the B&C (and I think I've seen you in every related thread), so you should be safe, dude.

Indeed, Yogi has been kind enough to sum it all up for me (and thank you, Yogi), but yeah, it appears there's nothing new smile.png.

I feel like I've waited for these books since the 13 Black Crusade global campaign. I'm glad you're working on it, AD-B.

ADB, would it be too much of a spoiler for you to tell us whether Kayon's still kicking around as of the 13th crusade?  And, if so, what a rough sketch of his usual set up might be?  Power armor?  Terminator?  Prince?

IIRC, the narrative frame is Khayron being captured by the imperium and forced to told the story of the Black Legion.

Save him, AD-B ! He was awesome in the advent calendar thingy !

ADB, would it be too much of a spoiler for you to tell us whether Kayon's still kicking around as of the 13th crusade?  And, if so, what a rough sketch of his usual set up might be?  Power armor?  Terminator?  Prince?

Avoiding as many spoilers as I can, from the prologue Khayon is apparently unwillingly in the custody of the Inquisition, relaying the tale of Abaddon and the Black Legion, at some point in early 999.M41. As the book goes on, more about his exact circumstances are revealed - including exactly where he is and why he's there.

As for his setup, that changes a few times over 10,000 years. The Imperium tends to think he's Zaraphiston or Ygethmor, however, along with 800 other titles and names. That should give you a vague idea.

Avoiding as many spoilers as I can, from the prologue Khayon is apparently unwillingly in the custody of the Inquisition, relaying the tale of Abaddon and the Black Legion, at some point in early 999.M41. As the book goes on, more about his exact circumstances are revealed - including exactly where he is and why he's there.

As for his setup, that changes a few times over 10,000 years. The Imperium tends to think he's Zaraphiston or Ygethmor, however, along with 800 other titles and names. That should give you a vague idea.

Is he Zaraphiston or Ygethmor?   If not, will he be meeting & interacting with them?

Agh, this book cannot be in my hands soon enough.

Is he Zaraphiston or Ygethmor?   If not, will he be meeting & interacting with them?

Agh, this book cannot be in my hands soon enough.

To the Imperium? Yes, no, and sometimes. In the breathtaking scale of the setting, what the Imperium thinks it knows about Chaos and the Black Legion is largely nonsense. Which isn't new, I realise - ignorance has always been a necessary evil for the Imperium; it functions and survives by keeping its population in ignorance and denial. That's why it rocks as a dystopian setting. But it's not like on Earth where we can point to General Zhukov and say "He was This Man and he did These Things and These Points in Time".

Even the Imperium itself - over the massive spread of the empire - doesn't know who Abaddon is. He's a mythological force; a name whispered in dread that could have been a hundred "Abaddons" over the millennia; the embodiment of Mankind's sins coming home to roost; 99% of the Imperium doesn't know The Despoiler is "Ezekyle Abaddon from the Horus Heresy", and even those who do know his identity know next to no real detail about who he is and what he's been doing. Such is the scale of what we're dealing with in-universe.

We know the "Chosen of Abaddon" as a few sentences here and there over the course of 25 years of IP, but even they're largely just apocryphal tales and titles. The truth isn't going to be as bluntly simple as a "Guy in charge of all the Khorne Marines" and a "Guy in charge of all the Nurgle Marines", etc. That kind of organisation and cohesion just doesn't exist in the setting, let alone in the Black Legion. It couldn't exist.

Is he Zaraphiston and Ygethmor among the Black Legion? It's complicated. Khayon mentions why once or twice. 

He's one of the Black Legion's founders, and Abaddon's sorcerous right hand. Perhaps the warrior closest to Abaddon over the course of the Long War, though that's a relationship that has its ups and downs across an eternity in Hell.

Does that mean the whole BA fued was retconed ,and all the space marine chapters suddenly don't know who the csm are . Including those like Grey Knights or SW ?

No. Why would it? You know it doesn't mean that. I mean, you literally must know that. Are you - as usual - missing the point just to have something to complain about? If this was RPGnet or somewhere similar, you'd have been banned a hundred times or more for being "deliberately obtuse" against their posting policies. But even for you, this is nonsense.

The Adeptus Astartes make up about 0.000001% of the Imperium's population. 

Cool thanks for clearing that up.

No. Why would it? You know it doesn't mean that. I mean, you literally must know that. Are you - as usual - missing the point just to have something to complain about? If this was RPGnet or somewhere similar, you'd have been banned a hundred times or more for being "deliberately obtuse" against their posting policies. But even for you, this is nonsense.

Well you said that people in the imperium don't know who he is , to a point where they don't know that The Abadon is Abadon . The high lords of inqusition know and the high lords of terra know ,considering they are the ruling class in the setting then everyone else that has to know about csm knows about him.

The old fluff had mentioned deep psychic scaning of the eye and sonds being send there , so I assumed that when you said that people don't know , that all the stuff was retconed .

I didn't even complain about stuff , just asked if stuff was changed huh.png

Well I welcome your efforts to breath some life in the end-time era and above all to actively work in order to present the sheer scale and breadth of the Warhammer universe in the M41. It is immense, defying any concept or belief and I for one agree that what little is known of Chaos bar to some really super secret Holy Ordos, it is at best a half truth, a legend, a cautionary tale or an allegory. That is how I like my M41 universe. Thank you for that. At least some authors are still true to the scope of the M41 universe. 

The Chosen of Abaddon must be something quite organic. People fall out of grace, while other rise. At least, that's how I picture it.

Is there a structure in the Ezekarion, or is it more something that shifts constantly, with blurry numbers and stuff like that ? (It's a confuse way to ask : "Can I make my warlord a member of the Ezekarion following the Ghost War ? Or is the whole thing locked ?").

Off topic, will we be seeing more of the Thriced-Cursed mentioned in the codex n the upcoming series?

Yes and no. I had plans for the second novel to deal with the conquest and subsuming of other Son of Horus warbands long before the BL supplement was conceived (it was in the first synopses for the opening trilogy handed in years ago), so "Horus-loyal" Son of Horus warbands are an interesting subject. And I don't want to invalidate anyone's army by killing them all off, but nor can I pretend they're a very big deal. Abaddon has a lot to do and a lot to deal with. Those guys are fairly small-fry in the grand scheme of things.

On a related note, this came up a while back, and I kept this reply handy:

"If you look at the True Sons et al, if these guys are so important in terms of making examples of out of them, it doesn't stand to reason that Abaddon would wait several thousand years to do it, and let several of them carry on living. It's even less likely he'd struggle to catch them for several thousand years, given the resources he has at his disposal.

Plus, he's just not that petty. It's really not something he'd go out of his way to deal with. He's a warlord playing a thousand games of Chess at once, all in his own head, by memory, while living in Hell itself where reality bends to his will. The primary ethos behind the Black Legion is that it's not enslaved to the past - not to the Sons of Horus's legacy, nor the primarch that gave them the name. If a few scattered warbands want to carry on that legacy of what he considers abject failure, he's pretty much fine with it. He'll kill them if he crosses their paths, just like any warband that annoys him or gets in the way.

Last but not least, the Black Legion is about willingness. He doesn't curbstomp every warband and demand they follow him for kicks, as he'd have a Legion of untrustworthy A-holes. He offers destruction or union to those warbands he respects, or those of use to him. Those he can't trust (such as, say, ones that have literally worshipped Horus for several thousand years...) he'd just destroy or ignore. There's no logic, reason, or rhyme in doing otherwise.

EDIT: I'm sure there are plenty of untrustworthy A-holes, mind you, i.e. the line from Star Wars: "The Imperial senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I have just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away. The regional governors now have direct control over their territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station." But it's a fine line between what an actually skilled, controlled warlord would tolerate, and what's just a liability.

Horus isn't this respected genius in the Eye of Terror. He's the King of Failures that damned them to living in Hell. A few warbands following his memory aren't a threat to Abaddon's authority, they're a bunch of deluded exiles who don't realise, or don't care, that they're a joke to the Nine Legions."

Archived