Dreams of Heresy

In the beginning there was a dream....

This thread will be the plog for my quest for ascendance, a journey to cheat the curse of the un-painted and rekindle the spark that drew me in to this hobby so many editions ago.  I hope to chronicle the inspirations, progress, motivation, and despair as I journey through the realms of chaos. 

I should have started this when I made my ETL III vow.  I had recently made the decision to (re)build a chaos host and the timing of the ETL was perfect for the launch of that effort.  I didn't however, and have missed out on the opportunity to leverage the forum community for motivation and constructive criticism.  No more.

My first ETL vow is modest - a modified DV helbrute, 10 plague marines that I picked up back in '95/'96, a sorcerer, and Ahriman.  It's been awhile since I have really painted anything and the selection gave a mix of stuff to practice techniques.  In hindsight, perhaps not the best choice I could have made as there was a reason these figs have sat in my collection unpainted for almost 2 decades.  But as it was pledged...so it will be painted.

Pic 1 - The blurry beginning

Pic 2 - WIP for Chaos Sorcerer and Plague Marine

These figures are maybe 1/2 complete.  The beige armor is ~ 5 layers going from balor brown to kharak stone.  It will likely take another 2-4 layers to bring the highlights up to ushabti bone/white.  Overall I'm pretty happy with how they have turned out so far.  The plague marine is a little cleaner than I had envisioned.  Not sure if I'll try to fix that by adding streaks/stains and rust.  That might take more time than I have for the ETL.  More importantly, I'm a little worried what I have will get messed up so badly that I'll have to strip the models and start over.  The red cloth on the sorcerer has minor shading in this pic.  I might regret that color choice as red has always been a struggle for me. 

My one lesson learned is that trying to assembly line paint 11 figs is too many at once for me.  It may have helped with consistency as I've done the layering but it has been a serious demotivator to sit down and stare at that many figures.  My style to layering isn't quick and there's no thrill of completion yet.  Five probably would have been a better number. 

Pic 3 - WIP for Helbrute

The Helbrute has basic blocking and an initial layer of highlights on the skin, although it doesn't appear show well in the pic.  Most of the work done has been on the armor panels.  I wanted to do a dark metallic red (and am planning a similar color scheme for my CSM when I start them).  I've been trying to achieve this mainly through washes and glazes and am not real thrilled with how it has turned out so far.  I might have started with too dark a silver metallic.  I don't think I've applied a wash too heavily but maybe that is part of the problem.  Grrr is all I can say.  The only positive note is that I think it is salvageable.

Ahriman...poor Ahriman.  I'm torn between painting him with a more traditional blue or going with a metallic red as a nod to pre-heresy colors, and to be consistent with the planned army scheme.  I doubt I'll ever field him except as a stand in sorcerer in larger games.  Decisions...why do you vex me so?

-AE      

• 7 months later...

Like a phoenix from the ashes....

This is the beginning of the story of the Sundered Veil, a chapter of the Word Bearers space marine legion.  May the tale of their crusade be an enjoyable one.  A teaser of fluff can be found in the Dark Council thread

My vision for this chapter is inspired in part by The Talon of Horus.  I didn't want to do a Black Legion force, but book birthed the idea of a legion remnant that wasn't so caught up with the politics of the eye or the Dark Council.  The core of the Sundered Veil will be survivors of the Heresy still fighting the long war.  A warhost focused on retribution against the Ultramarines and the Imperium.  Thematically I'm leaning towards an chapter that specializes in fast assault tactics, similar to the Serrated Suns perhaps but I'll see where the concept takes me. 

Next step: Inventory the basement archives to see what models are available   

Hi Helveticus

First bravo for coming back to your beginning, I will be starting a project like this very soon (after I finish moving house)

Second don't let the batch painting get you down, your bone may take a while but from one gamer to another it's worth it (your bone looks amazing by the way)

Good luck and I look forward to your Ahriman.

Lord Lee.

@Lord Lee - Good luck with the move and thanks for the compliment and encouragement!  I did manage to finish all of these for ETL III although I didn't do as many layers as I had planned due to time constraints.  I'm very happy with the way the bone turned out.  There's likely a few steps I could cut out without losing much but I've been focused on improving the metallic reds instead.  I'll find or take some pics of the final models to link here.

Inventory is mostly complete and I've realized I may be addicted to buying models.  The pile of stuff for armies I have never even played....ugh.

First up will likely be converting DV cultists, assembling raptors (love the models, don't care if there are more efficient choices), and figuring out what to do with my Khorne Berserkers.  The bunny ears have to go.  I'm undecided if I should modify them to be standard marines with bolters or leave them as close combat focused that could be used as berserkers or marines.  Using them as normal marines would help the more ornate models to stand out as champions and chosen.

I've also got these spawn conversions that I started some time ago but haven't finished yet.  Can't visualize a color scheme for them yet so likely will just finish up the green stuff work.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q724/Angelus_Encarmine/2015%20Chaos/wolfspawn_zpsd9niebg8.jpg  http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q724/Angelus_Encarmine/2015%20Chaos/tentaclespawn_zpsgaycc0zc.jpg  http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q724/Angelus_Encarmine/2015%20Chaos/birdspawn_zps3ngcty7a.jpg

Archived