How to Paint Imperial Guard Body Armor

I promised last time that I would continue and show you how I paint my Airborne Imperial Guard. Today, I'm going over how I paint the armor and gun. You can read more in depth about this at Pensacola Warhammer.

stormtrooper-yellow-greengerman-grey.jpg

stormtrooper-yellow-greengerman-greyb.jp

I start by blocking in the colors for the armor and gun. I wanted to contrast the camouflage, but have a color that worked with it. I decided to do a solid color armor color. The armor is painted with Vallejo Model Color Yellow Green. Any parts that are going to be metallic or are supposed to be black are painted with Vallejo Model Color German Grey.

stormtrooper-red-leather.jpg

stormtrooper-red-leather-b.jpg

The webbing and leather objects get painted with Vallejo Model Color Red Leather. This will get highlighted then give a brown wash to give the impression of worn leather.

stromtrooper-highlighted-stone-grey.jpg

The armor and leather is highlighted by adding Vallejo Model Color Stone Grey. More and more Stone Grey is added for each highlighted layer. To help blend the colors together, I mixed more glaze medium for each highlight layer. I don't have exact ratios as I just kind of eyeball it. If you make a mistake, you can take your base color mixed with glaze medium and blend it together. I didn't go too extreme with the highlighting as I want the camo, armor, and everything else to have a natural worn look.

stormtrooper-gun-metalblack-metal.jpg

stormtrooper-gun-metalblack-metal-b.jpg

Parts are later picked out and highlighted with a mixture of Vallejo Game Color Gun Metal and Vallejo Air Black Metal. The main part of the gun and other parts are left as just Black Metal. This is to give some variation in all the metallic colors.

storm-trooper-aluminimtin-bitz.jpg

stormtrooper-back.jpg

The final step is adding some more variations of metallic colors and painting the flamer nozzle. I picked out some details, the handle, and the pilot light and painted them with Vallejo Air Aluminum. The nozzle is painted with Citadel Tin Bitz, but to add some depth and variation, I mixed some Aluminum into the Tin Bitz and painted the top and rear portion of the nozzle.

That's all for now. The next tutorial should be short. All that's left to paint are the goggles, some of the little details, and highlight the boots. Don't forget to go back and check out the first part How to Paint Imperial Guard Infantry Camouflage.

Archived