Questions:

Soul Reaper System:

Any Names for these planets?

[Unnamed] - Designated CB1-3, Soul Reaper System. Shipyards and dry docks orbit the planet.

[Unnamed] - Designated CB2-5, Soul Reaper System. Agri world.

[Unnamed] - Designated CB3-6, Soul Reaper System. Agri world.

[Unnamed] - Designated CB2-2, Soul Reaper System. Dead World. Unconfirmed Watch Fortress.

Colvin Sub-Secor:

What planet type is this planet?

Rictus IV

Is the planet an ice planet? if so is it also a Hiveworld or some other world?

Colvin Majoris – Capital of the Colvin sub-sector, former home world of one of the Liber Cluster’s most prominent of Imperial dynasties, the Olgevins. Ice world famed for its defenses and as the resting world of one of the Liber Cluster’s greatest saints, Colvin Majoris had its original call to fame during the conquest of the Ghostlands region, where its position is a forward base saw rapid growth and development. When Saint Verdinant returned, the entire sub-sector seceded from the Imperium. After centuries of warfare, Imperial forces claimed the Colvin system. However, increasing solar activity forced them to abandon the system. The worlds within are now scoured clean of all life. But according to last line all planets are dead worlds even the frointerworld? If so how many other planets are there, and any designations on the other except Colvin Majoris and Minoris?

Former Frontier world? What is it now?

Colvin Minoris – Former frontier world that acts as a staging area for the Ghostlands conquest.

Is this a feral world? or just a Civilized world?

Muldacia - Tropical world whose human inhabitants live on the coastal regions, with an enormous slave population of "saurial" abhumans. Its southwestern continent was poisoned by the decaying corpse of a void kraken.

Englica Sub-Sector:

How many planets are there? and names and types?

Mundus Novus – Large system housing the headquarters of the Ordo Xenos within the sub-sector.

How many planets are there? and names and types?

Garandor Xenos-infested system that has regularly pushed back all attempts at purgation. It is home to a number of dangerous xenos breeds, often predatory and advanced. How a single system has been able to evolve such a high number of highly unique breeds eludes the Magos Biologis, and strangely each new assault reveals new, previously unseen breeds. It is notable that the Xenos found within Garandor are not found elsewhere, except for nearby systems that had been invaded or attacked by breeds hailing from Garandor.

Planet Types on these 4 planets?

Anglin – Scarlet Sentinels Chapter recruitment world

Caledon – Scarlet Sentinel Chapter recruitment world

Cambris – Scarlet Sentinel Chapter recruitment world

Kalliel – Den World of the Darghoul xenos breed.

The 'designations' of some of those worlds are all that was given. They have not been given true names. If you'd like to, go for it.

The other worlds have a bit of a complicated history to them through a number of posts. I'd recommend putting 'Colvin' into the search bar up top and reading what comes up, from oldest to newest.

For all things where the answers are not clear or known: Feel free to ask or, if no response, fill it in yourself. Like Muldacia. What do you want it to be?

The 'designations' of some of those worlds are all that was given. They have not been given true names. If you'd like to, go for it.

The other worlds have a bit of a complicated history to them through a number of posts. I'd recommend putting 'Colvin' into the search bar up top and reading what comes up, from oldest to newest.

For all things where the answers are not clear or known: Feel free to ask or, if no response, fill it in yourself. Like Muldacia. What do you want it to be?

Sounds good will add if theres no info att all, soon done with the sub-systems barring all the ones with no info in main post, will sift through them tomorrow a bit :)

This is were im at atm, will change as its a WIP! :) Comments and help are welcome, as im new and you guys have created all this so far! :)

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2015/056/c/9/wip__liber_cluster_by_sunstudy-d8jhqub.jpg

Lemme guess, Krakenreach? :biggrin.:

And ditto!

Dude, yes. Krakensreach, and nay, many DIYs would be greatly improved by the simple addition of a map. Heck, we could even have a big DIY map on a galactic scale that includes the BnC's finalized Indices, which, let's be honest, would be totally awesome :woot:

I can see some areas already that will need to be adjusted to be in keeping, but holy wow that is awesome. Tonight I will provide some C&C, but first of all: this is amazing.

Sounds good the more the marrier! :smile.: and thanks, cant take all credit!

How did you make that map, because I would totally love to do something similar for one of my own DIYs

I got a picture with several layers about 5031x3260 big ready to go. FFG map border and legend border, a few planetary icons from FFG, a few fan made icons i have picked up and a few i have made. missing a few tho, havent gotten around fixing that yet tho, like maiden world, port world and space port.. Anyways then i just copy paste planets place them where needed and text them up. Have converted alot of offical crapy maps  already:tongue.: Armageddon, Badab, Orpheus, Realm of Ultramar Sectors all on my deviant, then the fanmade Star Reefs of the Iron Snakes (only 3 official planets rest i created) and my own sector for my Heralds of Retribution. Next i gona go for over the comming month (depending on this work) is Gothic and Karthago (last one gona be fan-made as theres only info on like 3 planets here to).

Oh yeah forgot: Using GIMP as illustration program.

That's impressive work for what appears to be a working time of less than an evening. It's not quite how I envisioned the map to be in my head, but I'm not the map maker here. :happy.:

Soon bed! And work tomorrow.

Any help with planet types, are appreciated for a more detailed map! So post what you got and i can finish whats known fairly fast :)

I Will read up a bit, in the pages. once i got the first page covered!

Thanks olis! And yea as in most cases with alot of diffrent people colaborating everyone got diffrent views. Specially me that Havent been there since the start! But info Will help and i can swap, move and change until tis closer to you guys envisioned sector! Im glad to help! Love creating stuff! And im on a spree atm!! ;)

Thats 2h of work approx. :)

Lovely map work Lucernius, I hereby dub thee "Cartographer Primus" for your excellent work.

As to classifications for Anglin, Caledon and Cambris they all fall into the feudal world category and are all located in the Albion Sub Sector, which is territory of the Scarlet Sentinels chapter.

I thought they were all in the Englican subsector, which was named specifically because of their placement there?

Alright, C&C time!

Background

The Liber Cluster is a globular cluster of stars that is distant from the Milky Way Galaxy. The distance scale used has always been defined as "The distance from Terra to the Terminus Crux is roughly equal to the distance from Terra to Macragge, but straight down." And by down, we mean below the galactic plane, not 'Trailing,' as most Imperial maps define it. As for size, its comparable to the Eye of Terror. It's designated a Sector, made up of Subsectors, for administrative purposes, but it is much larger than a normal Sector.

So I'd remove the borders, with the words Rimward, Trailing, etc., from the map. The Liber Cluster is not part of the Galaxy and is not oriented the same way, so no matter how you did the borders, they'd be inaccurate.

Next, the image of stars and features in the background. As stated, the Cluster is a globular cluster of stars that is outside of the galaxy. So it would look better if the whole Cluster, subsectors and all, are included inside something like that pink cloud that takes up the left side, or something like that if you have a better background for what I'm talking about. But this is the entirety of the Cluster, a tight bundle of stars that floats in the pure black. Aside from some very occasional stars, the only stars not in the Cluster are in another galaxy, and so can't be seen in a map that has detail of the Cluster. I don't know if you could clean off the stars in the areas outside the Cluster, but that is essentially what the Deep is. The black, the void. Where if you can't go back to the Cluster, the next nearest star is in the galaxy proper. Which is why exile into the Deep is seen as an act of execution. Sure, it's not empty. There are cold, dying stars all alone, and rogue planets flung out of orbit eons ago. But there is zero survivability out there.

Which is why it scares the crap out of the Imperium when the Lions do it anyways.

Basically, it's like this (spoilered because it's big):

http://www.toledoastronomy.org/members/everton_allen/Star_Clusters/m13%20Globular%20cluster%20lx200%2025%20x%2090sec%206-2-08.jpg

Scale

I see that you defined the size of systems, and I think it makes the Cluster a lot smaller than it actually is. For instance, the Saneslau Planetary System on the top is a single solar system. On a map of that scale, the system wouldn't be seen as anything other than a pinprick. For the systems, I'd just use the main system name and put it on the map like any other world (example, Saneslau, Garandor, Colvin, and Mundus Novus). Just put Saneslau and a Forge World icon, and that's it. It does have multiple worlds, some with different names (especially the Mundus Novus system), but that's okay for a map. I'll put the map in the first post introducing the Cluster, and the second post will continue to have the information on the worlds. So a new reader can see the map, and going down can see the information about the worlds and systems.

Now, the Soul Reaper System actually is a collective of systems, but I would use the size of the circle you used for the Colvin system for the Soul Reaper system. You know those pop-away squares that zoom into a sphere of space? I'd put the large circle you have as one of those, while the small Colvin-sized circle represents how large the Soul Reaper system is to the whole area.

This pop-out thing will pretty much be required when the Lions' Eighteen Worlds get added on.

Placement

Terminus Crux is the 'closest' point in the Liber Cluster to the Imperium. If you put it just outside or inside the edge bordering the Deep, the furthest left than any other thing (if that's where we want to say "<- Imperium"), that'd be perfect. No further out than you put the Clans of Medusa sighting.

Carver's World should be close to the Deep, just inside the Subsector. If you swap Carver's World with Nabaretti and Velmghart (which should remain together), you'd have it.

The Ghostlands is not its own separate zone, but part of the Colvin Subsector. If you choose an empty spot in the Colvin Subsector, and put the word 'Ghostlands' in the same sized font as the planet names have, that'd be nice.

Since the Deep is meant to be empty, Typhon Echidna should be placed in one of the Subsectors. Which one doesn't matter. Since the scale won't allow the Charybdis to be visible, if you put it somewhere you're going to need to pull out for a zoomed in look anyways, you can have the Charybdis be visible there, or at least mentioned since you'll have space for some scriptwork.

Thoughts

My original image of the Cluster and its divisions is like the image I spoilered above (it's actually pretty much the source of inspiration that started the whole thing).

Basically, a hyper-dense collection of stars distant from the proper galaxy that orbits it like the Luna orbits Terra, where the stars become even more intensely packed the close to the core you get.

The Cluster is divided into nine Subsectors, of which four have been so far named and populated. The inspiration came from images of the earth that I remember from high school science, like below:

http://divediscover.whoi.edu/images/anatomy.gif

Basically, see how much was cut away? Basically 1/8th of the globe. So take the Cluster, cut it in half, then cut each half into quarters. This leaves you with eight parts, which are eight of the Subsectors. The 1/8th of the Cluster that is closest to the Imperium is the Subsector Liber Regnum.

But take away the core (looking at the above image, basically combine the outer and inner core as one) from each of those eighths and make its own whole and you have the final, ninth Subsector, Subsector Centralis.

And finally, you take this globe, and you mess it up. It's not like the Earth, a relatively perfect sphere. It's misshapen. It's spherical, but misshapen.

Now, I fully understand if this would be difficult to bring across in a flat-plane map. That's why I put this in Thoughts rather than making it an actual request. This is just so you know where I was coming from when describing what the Subsectors are or how the Liber Cluster was made up. There's no need to follow this to the letter, do whatever you think can be conveyed well.

Lastly, like I said earlier this day, the map is brilliant, and it's very existence greatly improves the Liber Cluster.

I got some more of SR and my story for you guys! Enjoy. :)

Grant's drop pod slammed into the mountainside with great force.The pod doors flew open, it sat about ten metres above flat ground. Grant's harness released it's lock and he fell to the surface, landing on his feet. All he could see for miles was mountains and desert, their target sat right in the middle of a valley surronded by towering walls of stone about five clicks north.

Grant watched the rest of fifth companies drop pods land. "We march to Dorado! We will bring glory to our chapter and get our revenge for this filth felling the esteemed Captain Biddale! Check your weapons, steel your hearts, and suffer not the enemy to live! One Imperium under the Emperor!"

Grant donned his helmet took up his bolter. The fifth company now followed him to Dorado.

++++++++++

The thunderhawk had just entered atmosphere, Veteran Sergeant Hao'le was designated as interim captain of the third company in Biddale's absence. He had gladly accepted the honour, he would bring much glory to the Eagles.

"Captain Grant, can I get a sitrep?" "We are marching for Dorado, we are about one kilometre out, I expect to make contact within eight minutes. What about you Veteran Sergeant, what's your situation?" "Thunderhawks are all en route to Dorado, armour transports are just entering atmosphere and will arrive roughly twenty minutes after our arrival." "Very good, Veteran Sergeant. I will see you on the ground."

++++++++++

The fifth company had reached the crest of the mountains surrounding the valley Dorado sat in. Grant looked down at the valley, trying to find the best spot to deploy armour. To the East was a large opening, that would be perfect. There would be no escaping the might of the Eagles of Glory, Dorado was surrounded by mountains to the north, west, and south. Grant would make sure he would kill every last renegade in this valley.

I thought they were all in the Englican subsector, which was named specifically because of their placement there?

Nope, the Englican sub sector has nothing to do with the Sentinels. I think sub sector Englican had something to do with the Inquisition... Yeah, just checked the Notable Locations on the first page:

"The Englican section of the Liber Cluster suffers the worst from the predations of xenos, and has a strong Inquisitorial presence."

Terminus Crux is the 'closest' point in the Liber Cluster to the Imperium. .

I thought that used to be the case but it got moved way away from it's original position during the Silence? Also, wasn't Sub Sector Liber Regnum the closest point to the rest if the galaxy hence why that was where the Imperials first entered the Cluster?

Alright, C&C time!

Thoughts

My original image of the Cluster and its divisions is like the image I spoilered above (it's actually pretty much the source of inspiration that started the whole thing).

Basically, a hyper-dense collection of stars distant from the proper galaxy that orbits it like the Luna orbits Terra, where the stars become even more intensely packed the close to the core you get.

The Cluster is divided into nine Subsectors, of which four have been so far named and populated. The inspiration came from images of the earth that I remember from high school science, like below:

http://divediscover.whoi.edu/images/anatomy.gif

Basically, see how much was cut away? Basically 1/8th of the globe. So take the Cluster, cut it in half, then cut each half into quarters. This leaves you with eight parts, which are eight of the Subsectors. The 1/8th of the Cluster that is closest to the Imperium is the Subsector Liber Regnum.

But take away the core (looking at the above image, basically combine the outer and inner core as one) from each of those eighths and make its own whole and you have the final, ninth Subsector, Subsector Centralis.

And finally, you take this globe, and you mess it up. It's not like the Earth, a relatively perfect sphere. It's misshapen. It's spherical, but misshapen.

Now, I fully understand if this would be difficult to bring across in a flat-plane map. That's why I put this in Thoughts rather than making it an actual request. This is just so you know where I was coming from when describing what the Subsectors are or how the Liber Cluster was made up. There's no need to follow this to the letter, do whatever you think can be conveyed well.

Lastly, like I said earlier this day, the map is brilliant, and it's very existence greatly improves the Liber Cluster.

Thanks mate great info, this will be a bigger work than i anticipated! :biggrin.: Missed the whole Cluster Star part! Just wanted to make more maps (as i said im in a spree atm, having recreated several of the official ones into the FFG template i use). But i think i can do it. i need to cut the sphere of the cluster star into as you said, 8 pieces with the centralis one the 9th piece of the puzzle. The map itself need to be smaller then my other one. but bigger as its going to need to be 4 at the start and 8 more as 4 sub-sectors are unmapped/unnamed/unexplored and make them into seperate maps. My toughts on how to impliment that is by doing this:

med_gallery_49871_10513_522640.png

And to answer your more advanced question: Sorry my picture manipulation skills are based on my Illustration highschool knowhow and thats 15 years old, as i didnt come to work with graphics/illustrations once i graduated. So mostly i dabble with picture manipulation for my RPG characters and backgrounds, keeping it alive that way. And got NO clue at all when it comes to scripting and such! Sadly enough, but once i got all pictures taken care of maybe someone else do?

The ones you have are the only ones so far named.

Feel free to name one yourself.

Just so i havent missed one as i didnt complete all planets/sectors last night, its 4 total? Englica, Colvin,Liber Regnum and Centralis? Then i really do need to name one! (If its only a total of 4, i need a 5th. I hereby i doub the the Arrenthal Sub-Sector!)

Great then i got 5 to work with and can start mapping the 4 sector closest to Terra and The Golden Throne! And the 5th central sub-sector.

Or wait. is Albion close to the other ones, or "further" away ie not possible to place besides any of the others? And a followup were is the Lions 18 worlds located? havent had time reading as im looking through and fixing my images! :)

I'll let SanguiniusReborn answer about the Albion.

The 18 worlds have not been placed anywhere, yet. They should be part of the back half, I'm sure, but it has yet to be said where. I've usually been waiting for a Subsector to be named, then I just kind of randomly take the unassigned worlds and add them to the new Subsectors.

I think, for a sense of scale and history, those worlds should not really be present. Maybe have one of the worlds that is the more prominent, Imperial-owned one for the millennia to come, and put it on the map. Information on the rest will depend on the reader going down and actually reading the lore. Sort of like the Badab War. You might see Badab on the map, but you'd have to really drill in before you see anything else.

Now that I'm home on my lunch, I have to say I freaking love the the Liber Cluster look right there. It's perfect. It'll make a great basis for the final product.

If you want to take a look at the list of unclaimed worlds, feel free to select a few (not too many, because it needs to be spread to the other Subsectors too) for the Arrenthal Subsector.

Cool mate! So the 8 pieces of Sphere /Slashed a bit for Sentralis is how you imagined it? If so i can set to work :) I got the background soon done, with 4 diffrent part of the same "Universe" picture. Once those 4 sectors are done, and the other "unexplored" ones will fill up, they will have the same "background" but on the map itself other bodies and anomalities and such will be added to make each Sector its own.

May i ask :smile.: why arent the Liber Cluster someone inside the galaxy? or well in the Ghoul Stars, Veiled Region, Eastern Fringe or Halo Star theres alot of room just placing a sector were you want it? I tried to map all the sectors but the sectors on the map became to large, by far, and after i had mapped all official sectors i truly knew the scale of what the Imperium stretched over. Even if i would have tried to resize the sectors there would have been ample, or huge swats of space unexplored, with worlds still not under Imperial rule in each Segmentum on multiple locations. (Some sectors are where they are supposed to be, a few are pure guess work and the rest where placed by me to get a full sector map.)

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2015/057/d/d/40k_map_by_m00nprophet-d8jmfk3.jpg

Still missing 8 sectors that i found in my novels after i did the map

May i ask :smile.: why arent the Liber Cluster someone inside the galaxy? or well in the Ghoul Stars, Veiled Region, Eastern Fringe or Halo Star theres alot of room just placing a sector were you want it? I tried to map all the sectors but the sectors on the map became to large, by far, and after i had mapped all official sectors i truly knew the scale of what the Imperium stretched over. Even if i would have tried to resize the sectors there would have been ample, or huge swats of space unexplored, with worlds still not under Imperial rule in each Segmentum on multiple locations. (Some sectors are where they are supposed to be, a few are pure guess work and the rest where placed by me to get a full sector map.)

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2015/057/d/d/40k_map_by_m00nprophet-d8jmfk3.jpg

Still missing 8 sectors that i found in my novels after i did the map

Nids, I believe, plus it needed to be far enough away that the Imperium couldn't easily travel there.

Archived