Something suitably grimdark, yet heroic?

"As Nauthiz died, from scores of bolter and blade wounds, surrounded by sureiki lions, the last Doomsayer in the Liber Cluster slammed his fist down on the Activation rune. The Lions knew only two things thereafter. A combined stink of ozone and prometheum, and their lives ending in a conflagaration of doom."

Give or take a few details, plus story to be attached :)

Okay, I'll see if I can knock something out over the next couple of days - I'll PM you to see if there's any details I have omitted or wrongly described.

That's a helluva lot of casualties. Good write-up, Cormac. So, now we've lost the Sons of Calderon, eh? The Conflagrators are not going to take the news of three fellow chapters succumbing in this crusade (or supposedly succumbing) very well at all. They've still got 80% of the chapter still to deploy, theoretically. 

Just for perspective, Vraks lasted 17 years and cost 14 million guardsmen. Evin Prime lasted 40 days and cost nearly 10.

In summary, the Death Korp are wimps.

Considering that perspective, I might have gone a little overboard with the casualty lists.

I regret nothing, though.

To add some extra perspective, it wasn't just any Chapter that was lost. The Sons were the golden child of the Imperium. Heavily favored by three of the most independent, powerful and typically opposed divisions of this empire of man: the Ecclessiarchy, Mechanicus and Astartes. A Chapter that proved in its newborn stages that it could band the Liberite Chapters together under one inspired purpose (I have something planned that is pre-Cluster). A Chapter trusted by the Emperor Himself, through his vassal High Lords, to lead the Angels of Death to conquer once more this distant, lost domain. The greatest of us, gone without a trace at what should have been their greatest triumph. What will become of the Liber Cluster now? Who will lead the Liberite Chapters in their absence?

Well, the Lords Inviolate of course, and we shall see what the future brings.

Wait, wait, wait, hold on.

So is that the Sons of Calderon and the Doomsayers both getting wiped out? :blink.:

In that case we've got an important issue to settle right now - who's going to be the Power Falx Chapter from this point on?

...What? I like the weapon, is all. :laugh.:

So is that the Sons of Calderon and the Doomsayers both getting wiped out? :blink:

In that case we've got an important issue to settle right now - who's going to be the Power Falx Chapter from this point on?

...What? I like the weapon, is all. :lol:

theres a contigent of Doomsayers out of cluster, til a later point in the timeline, however, I thought the falx was a cluster forgeworld special wielded by the liberites in various forms? Also I built that one in homage to you, not because I wanted exclusive wielding rights :p that would be rude. Ish :devil:

Considering that perspective, I might have gone a little overboard with the casualty lists.

I regret nothing, though.

I disagree. I always thought that given having a couple of angsty ideas/being in the wrong place at the wrong time/going for a loo break leaves you open to demonic possession and alien infestation in ye olde 40k universe, I always thought the death toll from campaigns like Vraks were disappointingly conservative. More blood! More carnage! Everything else is ridiculous, why not this?

(That said, 1.6 million in a day (40) means something like 70,000 deaths per hour, 1,500 per minute, or 20 per second. 20 per second. That is hardcore. PBI.)

That's about three times higher than the average for the whole war. For an entire Imperial Calendar month (Xecember, to be exact. Free like for the first to get the reference), seven soldiers, of either side, died, every single second.

Khorne was pleased. He was a bit miffed that he wasn't invited, though.

Aaaaaaand 2nd post is updated. While I tried to stick to stuff copy/pasted from what has been written down by you lot who originally contributed, there is quite a large amount of it that I reworked myself to better fit, and I also made a few additions where inspiration struck. So just because it's in the 2nd post doesn't mean it's safe from criticism. You see something is off, bring it up.

Next stop is getting everybody's Chapter lore accumulated. I won't be including anything and everything though. Just those posts that are specifically about expanding on their individual IA's and the original pieces. It would take absolutely forever to piece together the Blackjaw Kindred's many, many posts on their Primarch Pantheon, for instance.

Obvious answer: You.

But I'm just one guy, I can't be a Chapter! Silly Cormac.:laugh.:

Also in the spirit of this being a community effort I'm letting someone else have a go with the Power Falx idea, if anyone wants it. :happy.:

Well, when the power falx thing had initially been brought up, I had an idea on it. I don't remember if I posted it or not, or if I had decided it no longer fit with the way the conversation was going. But since we're back to this point, I'll bring it up (again):

The Sons of Calderon are supposed to be bros. They are the Chapter picked to lead the Liberites because of that. Not like the super nice Bromanders bros, just the kind of Chapter that others can feel an easy camaraderie with. Brotherhood is strong within them, and they extend that brotherhood outward in their leadership of the Liberite Chapters.

So what if the power falxes are their "thing," that from them is spread to the other Chapters? Oaths of brotherhood, bound by blood upon blades of war. Captains and Chapter Masters bearing relics granted to them by the Sons of Calderon, forged by their hands and with the blood of brotherhood bound to its steel. Eventually, the weapon itself becomes a symbol of the Liberite Chapters, a symbol that lives on beyond Sons of Calderon themselves.

Edit: I should add: The Sons of Calderon lost the vote to lead the Liberites. The Lords Inviolate won. This is just my way of tying it all in how everyone still liked the Sons and wanted them around, and because the vote was close for quite a while.

So is that the Sons of Calderon and the Doomsayers both getting wiped out? :blink.:

And let's not forget the Black Falcons. They're also slated for destruction, too (if I'm not mistaken). That's three whole chapters struck from the Liber roll. As I've said earlier, my Conflagrators would be incredibly peeved at this tally.

Next stop is getting everybody's Chapter lore accumulated. I won't be including anything and everything though. Just those posts that are specifically about expanding on their individual IA's and the original pieces. It would take absolutely forever to piece together the Blackjaw Kindred's many, many posts on their Primarch Pantheon, for instance.

Would you prefer it if I accumulated everything to do with the Conflagrators in one place? Say... my IA post? :)

Also in the spirit of this being a community effort I'm letting someone else have a go with the Power Falx idea, if anyone wants it. :happy.:

I'll pass, I think. They're a nice idea, don't get me wrong, but my Conflagrators have got their own thing going on. ;)

Edit: I should add: The Sons of Calderon lost the vote to lead the Liberites. The Lords Inviolate won. This is just my way of tying it all in how everyone still liked the Sons and wanted them around, and because the vote was close for quite a while.

And just to put this into perspective, brothers, this was a vote started forty-two pages ago. :lol:

(Not that I'm insinuating anything about tardiness - people in glass houses, and all that. :ph34r.: )

A terrible shame to hear of the Sons' fate, they shall be sorely missed. Perhaps as a way of honouring them the other Liberite Chapters, or at least the ones who liked the Sons (stares at the Conflagrators, who don't have the good grace to even pretend to be sad. And the Black Judges, who are sat way at the back making jokes and snide remarks), keep their gifted Falxes and use them at every Conclave after the EWC in a series of honour duels between champions in remembrance of the Sons.

To put it in further perspective, that is 42 pages, in one month.

Which probably makes this my most successful thing yet. :biggrin.:

Indeed, another feather in your cap to display proudly. :smile.:

EDIT: Also, given the Xbox half of the Destiny Beta starts today expect my already-lackluster story writing speed to become further bogged down, I'll try to catch up as best I can but I just thought I'd let you guys know anyway. :sweat:

But in all honesty, you are right to insinuate tardiness on my part. It was about three weeks before I not only began to trawl the thread for the first time after it broke past five pages, but to actually give it an in-depth read through as well. That is admittedly all on me, and how quick and easy it turned out to be means I had no excuse but laziness.

But, if you want to collate your own stuff, feel free. Same goes for everyone else. What I will be doing myself will be to take the original post and any IA-like segments that have been contributed, rather than just anything and everything said about such and such Chapter. But I will be keeping links to their respective posts, so it will help either new people getting a feel for the lore or some regulars who might need to refresh their memory before submitting some new ideas the group. Especially when we do another swap party.

Edit: Stupid auto correct . . .

Especially when we do another swap party.

I have got this sudden mental image of twelve-year-old versions of us all standing in a house holding the hand (nervously in my case) of a brother from the respective Liber Chapters.

"Hi, I'm Olis and this is Brother Infernus."

"BURN."

"He says things like that."

:P

Archived