I'm up for doing a couple of sections of the IA - maybe not the beliefs bit as that would be better suited for someone with more flair :tongue.:

Well, they're your sons Reyner, what do you think the Blades believe in? :happy.: We can't write about something if we don't know what it is, if we get a rough idea of their mindset some of us might have a burst of creativity.

I was more getting at that I know roughly what their beliefs are but I am not good enough at writing to get them out in a meaningful way :D

Rough idea organisation wise:

• Less TDA than expected in a Dark Angels Chapter, the Blades do not have enough suits to outfit the entire first company, maximum would be about 3 squads worth.
  • The Blades maintain a large number of bikes and their 2nd Company follows a similar organisation to the Dark Angels Ravenwing. Blades love bikes.
  • Librarians are very respected - they provide the visions for the Great Hunt (Blades name for hunting Fallen).
  • Chapter Master wields the Harbinger heavenfall blade (nice one Teetengee).

Reading up on my original write up I do feel more comfortable in doing something for the Beliefs section now - the Blades are arrogant bastards who in their minds cannot be beaten (think Jaime early on in Game of Thrones.)

Might as well organize the thoughts so far. MODS ARE FREE TO EDIT AS NECESSARY. I can't copy the SM Painters at the moment.

BLADES OF THE LION (Work In Progress)

http://i.imgur.com/rwszq0A.jpg

Summary:

GENE-SEED (PREDECESSOR) – Dark Angels

FOUNDING -

CHAPTER MASTER -

CHAPTER WORLD – NONE (Fleet Based)

FORTRESS MONASTERY -

MAIN COLOURS – Gray and Bone

SPECIALITY -

BATTLE CRY – “Unsheath the Blades!” Response – “And Let the Lions Roar!”

CURRENT STRENGTH -

KNOWN DESCENDANTS -

ORIGINS:

The Blades of the Lion are a crusading, fleet based Chapter currently located in the Liber Cluster. The Blades are Dark Angels successors from an ancient founding who prefer to fight alone which has almost doomed them several times since they were created, they are prideful and will never ask for assistance even if they know they are doomed. Without a homeworld the Blades roam the Cluster in their Strike Cruisers attacking pirate and xenos strongholds wherever they find them, either dropping from the skies in drop pods or tearing through enemy ships in brutal boarding actions. Their leaders are master tacticians and take pride in surrounding the enemy and seeing utterly annihilated. The Chapter has a history of battling Orks in the Liber Cluster, matching the prowess of their bike mounted warriors against the Ork mechanized hordes but it is against Traitor Space Marines that the Blades fight the fiercest. The Blades are able to fully test their mettle when fighting foes comparable to themselves and relish believing themselves to be utterly superior to anything that isn’t a Space Marine.

To outsiders, the Blades of the Lion appear to strike at random then disappear into the void afterwards but in reality they are being guided by their Librarians who believe they are receiving visions from their Primarch in pursuit of the “Great Hunt”. Their Chaplains work alongside the Librarians in deciphering the visions and interrogating prisoners to find their next target. It is unfortunate if any of these visions strike during a battle as the Blades may suddenly redeploy before their quarry escapes – this makes the Blades a sometimes-unreliable asset in a large campaign but if they have the numbers they will endeavor to leave some marines behind so their allies are not overwhelmed.

The Blades will recruit from wherever they can, the Cluster is large enough for them to have plenty of recruiting worlds to choose from but they do not lay claim to any specifically. Once an initiate is taken in they are mind wiped and they will only know the Chapter. The “Great Hunt” is known by all of the Blades but only the high ranking marines know exactly what the Hunt is actually trying to achieve, the commanders know that the targets they hunt are the forever cursed Fallen. The rest of the Blades believe they are hunting traitors to the Emperor and are not aware that their targets were once or are still Dark Angel Legionnaires.

The Blades of the Lion are not trusted by most of the Liberite Chapters due to their isolationist attitude and tendencies to withdraw from combat without a word. The Blades rarely attend a Liberite Conclave but when they do their words are seldom ignored when planning assaults yet they will never offer themselves to be the lynchpin of a campaign, the risk of duty to the Imperium and the secret shame of the Great Hunt could spell disaster.

CHAPTER HOME WORLD:

The Blades of the Lion are a crusading, fleet based Chapter currently located in the Liber Cluster.

PRESENT ACTIVITIES:

The Blades of the Lion are Currently active in the Liber Cluster in pursuit of the “Great Hunt.” The Blades rarely attend a Liberite Conclave but when they do their words are seldom ignored when planning assaults yet they will never offer themselves to be the lynchpin of a campaign, the risk of duty to the Imperium and the secret shame of the Great Hunt could spell disaster.

BATTLE HONORS:

CHAPTER ORGANIZATION:

▪ Less TDA than expected in a Dark Angels Chapter, the Blades do not have enough suits to outfit the entire first company, maximum would be about 3 squads worth.

▪ The Blades maintain a large number of bikes and their 2nd Company follows a similar organization to the Dark Angels Ravenwing. Blades love bikes.

▪ Librarians are very respected - they provide the visions for the Great Hunt (Blades name for hunting Fallen).

▪ Chapter Master wields the Harbinger Heavenfall blade (nice one Teetengee).

The Blades of the Lion are, in many ways, built on honour and tradition. In few places is this more evident than within the Chapter's organisational structure. Like most Dark Angel successors, the Blades are broadly compliant with the layout advised by the Codex Astartes - ten companies, each a hundred Space Marines strong. It is only on a closer examination that the differences within that organisation become apparent.

Scouts, for example, are not permitted to bear the Chapter's full heraldry; they are instead given plain grey armour with bone pauldrons - enough colour to serve as an identifier of allegiance to the Chapter, but still visually distinct from true Battle-brothers of the Chapter.

Librarians are held in high regard within the Chapter. Their master of the Librarium is sometimes referred to as the Lion's Eye, for it is his counsel that guides the Blades in the Great Hunt. The Lion's Eye is given a very high level of respect, and in terms of authority is considered to rank only just below a Company Captain.

Amongst the rest of the Chapter, the First Company is informally known as the "Kingslayers", for their first campaign in the Liber Cluster saw them destroy a traitor marine known as 'Parsiel, King of Exiles' and his armies. As with the Dark Angels and many of their kin, the First Company is the exclusive home of the Chapter's Tactical Dreadnought Armour. Unlike other scions of Jonson, however, the sheer remoteness of the Liber Cluster from the rest of the Imperium means the Blades of the Lion only have enough functional suits to field three full squads of Terminators. The rest of the "Kingslayer" Company are made up of veteran marines, much like any other Codex Chapter.

The Second Company is almost entirely given over to the use of bikes and landspeeders, and is treated with very much the same respect and deference that the First Company is given. The Second Company is the Chapter's most formidable weapon in the Great Hunt - most frequently deployed as demi-companies alongside other Blades forces, they excel in pursuing and ensnaring fleeing enemies, forcing them to face destruction or capture.

The Blades of the Lion also field three conventional Battle Companies and four codex-approved Reserve Companies, each steeped in proud traditions. In true Dark Angel fashion, only the upper echelons of each Company are aware of the true nature of the Great Hunt, with the truth concealed by layer upon layer of secrecy and careful misdirection.

FLEET ASSETS:

Strike Cruisers

RECRUITMENT:

The Blades will recruit from wherever they can, the Cluster is large enough for them to have plenty of recruiting worlds to choose from but they do not lay claim to any specifically. Once an initiate is taken in they are mind wiped and they will only know the Chapter.

CHAPTER COLORS:

http://thumb101.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/60734/165106433/stock-photo-lion-s-head-blazon-artistic-sculpture-of-a-lion-head-on-the-shield-with-the-crossed-swords-165106433.jpgsml_gallery_49041_10668_3212.png

BATTLE STANDARDS OR CHAPTER BANNERS (OPTIONAL):

(Their icon will either be two crossed swords or a lion and a sword - need to figure that out and get it into their colour scheme).

BATTLE HONORS/RELICS/DECORATIONS/AWARDS:

The Heavenfall Blades:

Each of the chapters descended from the Dark Angels are said to have a small portion of the obsidian meteor, which was used to forge the Heavenfall Blades so that they too might share through steel the legacy of their founders. Many legends surround Harbinger, a sword wielded by high-ranking members of the Blades of the Lion, but at the very least, we know that it is one of these such weapons.

Harbinger is a finely wrought power sword with a large red gem in the center of its cross guard. In addition, built into its hilt is a locator beacon. It is said that the sword often begins to hum and the red gem glows when danger is present, but whether this is just the result of the prudent wielder activating its internal beacon or some gift from the Emperor himself the Blades have never commented on.

COMBAT DOCTRINE:

BATTLE CRY:

“Unsheath the Blades!” Response – “And Let the Lions Roar!”

HOME WORLD OR HOME FLEET (IF FLEET BASED):

LOCAL RITUALS:

Tests of the Lion

A tournament held within the chapter, the Tests of the Lion is a series of challenges held throughout the chapter, testing each marines skill with his guns, blades and strategic values. First the marine must face his brothers in his squad before progressing to facing the companies victors before finally facing the rest of the chapters victors. It is a usual sight for the challenges involving other companies to be held during the times where the chapter meets up.

The most recent victor of the Tests, [insert name here] of the # company, is has most recently been labeled as MIA after encounters with the Dark Eldar. If he is still alive, it is most likely he has been thrown into the arenas, to fight to his death.

BELIEFS:

The Blades are arrogant bastards who in their minds cannot be beaten (think Jaime early on in Game of Thrones.)

GENE-SEED:

Dark Angels

CHAMPIONS OF THE CHAPTER:

BATTLE STANDARDS OR CHAPTER BANNERS (OPTIONAL):

(Their icon will either be two crossed swords or a lion and a sword - need to figure that out and get it into their colour scheme).

I have a suggestion for the Blades's symbol of Reyner likes. I was thinking something like this:

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130303023624/finalfantasy/images/1/14/Griever_Symbol_FFVIII_Art.png

Minus the cross section, with a single or crossed pair of swords behind the Lion head. What do you think?

Rough idea organisation wise:

• Less TDA than expected in a Dark Angels Chapter, the Blades do not have enough suits to outfit the entire first company, maximum would be about 3 squads worth.
  • The Blades maintain a large number of bikes and their 2nd Company follows a similar organisation to the Dark Angels Ravenwing. Blades love bikes.
  • Librarians are very respected - they provide the visions for the Great Hunt (Blades name for hunting Fallen).
  • Chapter Master wields the Harbinger heavenfall blade (nice one Teetengee).

*cracks knuckles*

Let me see what I can do with this, then. :biggrin.:

-=-=-=

Organisation:

The Blades of the Lion are, in many ways, built on honour and tradition. In few places is this more evident than within the Chapter's organisational structure. Like most Dark Angel successors, the Blades are broadly compliant with the layout advised by the Codex Astartes - ten companies, each a hundred Space Marines strong. It is only on a closer examination that the differences within that organisation become apparent.

Scouts, for example, are not permitted to bear the Chapter's full heraldry; they are instead given plain grey armour with bone pauldrons - enough colour to serve as an identifier of allegiance to the Chapter, but still visually distinct from true Battle-brothers of the Chapter.

Librarians are held in high regard within the Chapter. Their master of the Librarium is sometimes referred to as the Lion's Eye, for it is his counsel that guides the Blades in the Great Hunt. The Lion's Eye is given a very high level of respect, and in terms of authority is considered to rank only just below a Company Captain.

Amongst the rest of the Chapter, the First Company is informally known as the "Kingslayers", for their first campaign in the Liber Cluster saw them destroy a traitor marine known as 'Parsiel, King of Exiles' and his armies. As with the Dark Angels and many of their kin, the First Company is the exclusive home of the Chapter's Tactical Dreadnought Armour. Unlike other scions of Jonson, however, the sheer remoteness of the Liber Cluster from the rest of the Imperium means the Blades of the Lion only have enough functional suits to field three full squads of Terminators. The rest of the "Kingslayer" Company are made up of veteran marines, much like any other Codex Chapter.

The Second Company is almost entirely given over to the use of bikes and landspeeders, and is treated with very much the same respect and deference that the First Company is given. The Second Company is the Chapter's most formidable weapon in the Great Hunt - most frequently deployed as demi-companies alongside other Blades forces, they excel in pursuing and ensnaring fleeing enemies, forcing them to face destruction or capture.

The Blades of the Lion also field three conventional Battle Companies and four codex-approved Reserve Companies, each steeped in proud traditions. In true Dark Angel fashion, only the upper echelons of each Company are aware of the true nature of the Great Hunt, with the truth concealed by layer upon layer of secrecy and careful misdirection.

-=-=-=

Looking back at what I've just written, I might have... embellished things a bit beyond the guidelines. :ermm: :sweat:

Hopefully I haven't gone too far, although I'm more than willing to trim it back down if required.

C&C most definitely welcome - it's a community project after all and I'll very happily welcome all shades of opinion. :biggrin.:

If it's rubbish, be sure to tell me plainly, I can totally take it. :laugh.:

EDIT:

Removed about sixty empty lines at the end.

No idea how that happened!

Am I allowed to help with this project?

Of course! We are full up on loyalist space marine chapters, so no new ones there (as far as I know) but otherwise jump on in, the water's warm.

So, I was thinking about Harbinger, and thought that tactically it would be most useful alongside the second company (being a fancy locater beacon and all), so would we want the chapter master to usually fight alongside the second, and then join the first on their arrival? or would we want the second company captain to wield it? Just thoughts I was having, feel free to take or leave at will.

I would like to help GMB flesh out the Lions if he does not mind?

Go right ahead. This challenge is becoming quite an interesting group project. Hopefully, I will be able to do the same with some of the other Liber Chapters posted here.

Ace that was epic, especially the first company! I like the icon sanguinius but would you have a version with 2 crossed swords?

I'm afraid not Reyner, I could try whipping one up in Paint but I'm not sure how good it would come out. :/

Does anyone else have any experience with Photoshop or something similar?

EDIT: Scratch that, I cobbled this together in the space of about 2 hours or so, most of which was remembering how to use Paint. I hope it's to your liking Reyner.

Blades Of The Lion Chapter Symbol

I copy/pasted the Greiver symbol (thank god for transparent backgrounds) on top of the Guardians of the Covenant crossed sword heraldry, remove the extraneous Cross parts of the Greiver, alter all the colours to what I wanted and then tidy it up to make it presentable.

http://thumb101.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/60734/165106433/stock-photo-lion-s-head-blazon-artistic-sculpture-of-a-lion-head-on-the-shield-with-the-crossed-swords-165106433.jpg

?

I've got an idea for a legend for the Blades along with an event thing which are interlinked.

Tests of the Lion

A tournament held within the chapter, the Tests of the Lion is a series of challenges held throughout the chapter, testing each marines skill with his guns, blades and strategic values. First the marine must face his brothers in his squad before progressing to facing the companies victors before finally facing the rest of the chapters victors. It is a usual sight for the challenges involving other companies to be held during the times where the chapter meets up. 

The most recent victor of the Tests, [insert name here] of the # company, is has most recently been labeled as MIA after encounters with the Dark Eldar. If he is still alive, it is most likely he has been thrown into the arenas, to fight to his death.

I know it's short, it's more the idea than anything. I've got an idea for where he's been taken to but I'm still writing that up.

Updated the WIP IA to this point. If anything changes I'll amend as necessary.

Do we have a link to this?

I think he has updated his original post.

Yes I did. LINK

I plan to repost once the thread gets longer 

Why not have their accumulated strength be abnormally high/low? I refer to the DA's complete dismissal of the Codex's restrictions on Chapter strength.

Also, Maybe a Germanic Lion/theme, Ja?

Why not have their accumulated strength be abnormally high/low? I refer to the DA's complete dismissal of the Codex's restrictions on Chapter strength.

I don't believe the DA completely dismisses the restrictions on Chapter strength. They stay pretty close to the 1000 battle brother strength. 

I don't believe the DA completely dismisses the restrictions on Chapter strength. They stay pretty close to the 1000 battle brother strength.
No sense in courting the baleful attentions of the High Lords or Inquisition, they already suspect the Lion's sons of "legion-building."

Not to mention the last Chapter to try pushing their numbers over the Codex limit was the Astral Claws, and the Dark Angels do not want that kind of attention coming their way.

EDIT: By the way guys I've been looking at the new AdMech Sicarian Ruststalkers and I think we've found models for the Saneslau Umbrii, those guys look lethal as all hell.

Okay guys, looks like things are stalling a bit and I've promised Conn (who's currently indisposed) that I'd do a bit of cat-herding. Let's ride the wave of new stuff GW has brought out while I see where things stand - for those of you who are at a loose end, let's see some stuff concerning the forge worlds of the Cluster. Be it new forge worlds or already established ones (the Saneslau planets, Geius Prime, Tenopia Majoris, Sranav, Lelith Secundus*), how about some Skitarii goodness?

As always, input from people new to the thread is fully welcome, so feel free to dive in and add material. :tu: 

*Lelith Secundus is currently labelled as a factory world rather than a forge world on the front page. Still, I would consider it a major Mechanicus demesne nonetheless, with access or ability to do much of what a regular forge world can do.

How does the hierarchy of the Mechanicus in the cluster work? Is there a Mars backed Fabri- whatever  who just lacks as much influence as the Saneslau?

Well, there have been numerous mentions of the 'Martian Orthodoxy', which to me sounds very much like a Mechanicus faction in the cluster that owes it's fealty to Mars rather than Saneslau. If you feel like expanding the faction by providing background and/or giving it a world, then feel free. I'm all for a dissenting faction for the Mechanicus in the Cluster. It might even lead to war one day...

For those of you who are at a loose end, let's see some stuff concerning the forge worlds of the Cluster. Be it new forge worlds or already established ones (the Saneslau planets, Geius Prime, Tenopia Majoris, Sranav, Lelith Secundus), how about some Skitarii goodness?

Despite having created something like a dozen worlds for the Cluster, I'm completely and utterly out of my depth trying to write anything more detailed than generalised geography and climate about Forgeworlds. :sweat:

Or Mechanicus stuff in general that requires a more complex description than "mysterious technology", come to think of it. :laugh.:

Archived