Best psychic discipline/power (for BA) ?

So I used to run a Librarian (jumppack) joined to another jump-infantry unit (sang guard, dc, or assault squad)... and I would take the 'preferred enemy' psychic power - obviously that is no longer an option.

Now I'm planning to run a few Librarians and I am unsure what to do about the psychic powers.

Do you guys cast from the front/assault Librarians, or from the rear, and what disciplines are best suited to our chapter?

Thoughts?

- thanks!

Ive personally always used the divination liby whilst leading from the front :) Now that we can take a lvl2 liby for half of the previous price I intend to use him again as such ^_^

Biggest problem I always had was getting challenged and cut down in combat no real way around that unless you kit a sergeant specificly to tank that though :(

What is nice though is that you can give other units rerolls to hit before you need to charge something (in which case you give it the assault squad the liby is in) thus your not wasting your liby until you reach combat :) some of the other divination powers are also quite good. Giving a unit an invunerable save for example is nothing to sniff at. Specialy if thats a unit that otherwise has no (invunerable) save like a vehicle or a unit of Sanguinary guard :D

I used div libs in 6th when it almost certain to get off but now I'm thinking that other disciplines might fit better, I gave a lib in a LR assault squad telepathy in my 1st 7th game, I had planned biomancy to give them ap2 attacks and other hardy buffs. But I turned up to an opponent with about 15 str 8, 9, &10 shots and me with only 4 vehicles starting on the board I went with telepathy. A 2 out of 6 chance of a cover save buff with shrouded and stealth and the primeris giving you some nice ap2 shooting can work out quite well. Having a 4 up LR crusader taking all his melta las and krak and only losing 2 hp sitting next to the relic won me the game.

Biggest problem I always had was getting challenged and cut down in combat no real way around that unless you kit a sergeant specificly to tank that though :(

Shouldn't be a problem with the new challenge rules, so long as there is no one else to fight in the combat your sergeant could accept the challenge and this would still allow your libby to sit back and put the big hits on with his force weapon. :)

In a way this makes biomancy more useful than before, as especially against daemon princes who also might have iron arm, you'll want to give your libby a fair chance of wounding them. Then again with one psyker it won't be easy to cast a power and successfully activate your force weapon.

Biomancy for Mephiston, maybe telepathy if you got everything you need or good buff from a warlord trait. 

Telepathy and Telekinesis for Librarian dreads.

Regular librarians are rarely worth it IMHO.   

Warp Charge Battery.  With Meph, 3 Furioso Librarians, and a ML2 Libbie, that's d6+11 warp charges per turn.  I usually kit the second libby with jump pack and force staff for some RAS/VV/CCHG support.  In that role, Telepathy or Biomancy.

Biomancy for Mephiston, maybe telepathy if you got everything you need or good buff from a warlord trait. 

Telepathy and Telekinesis for Librarian dreads.

Regular librarians are rarely worth it IMHO.   

Warp Charge Battery.  With Meph, 3 Furioso Librarians, and a ML2 Libbie, that's d6+11 warp charges per turn.  I usually kit the second libby with jump pack and force staff for some RAS/VV/CCHG support.  In that role, Telepathy or Biomancy.

Yeah, but you're looking at between 900 and 1000 points for those 11 warp charges, depending on how you bling out the level 2 librarian. It also stops you from taking anything else in your Elites slot (unless you're going unbound). Not really a good return on investment.

I think only armies like deamons can really make an all caster army work well. For marine armies our options cost to much and take away other viable options during army building...

Using 1 or 2 caster to enhance our armies though? Perfectly viable :tu:

I think only armies like deamons can really make an all caster army work well. For marine armies our options cost to much and take away other viable options during army building...

Using 1 or 2 caster to enhance our armies though? Perfectly viable :tu:

I think a lib attached to sternguard or something choppy dropping down with shrouding or invisibility is pretty nice, I think a Ml2 and furioso lib are a good shout for a pod heavy list. Shame pods are dedicated transports or I'd attach inquisitors into squads as well.

If you run iron hands...

Librarian with termie armour and storm shield and perhaps a force axe. put him with a sternguard squad wielding combi meltas and drop pod them. This unit will point and click away any vehicle regardless of size and armour the turn they come in (bye bye baneblades and land raiders), and also when disembarking the unit you put the libby up front to soak up the incoming ragefire with his 2+ armour, 3++ storm shield, 6+ FNP and 5+ IWND, that sternguard squad just got very difficult to take down and with vengenace rounds elite high armour infantry will have a bad day.

If you run iron hands...

Librarian with termie armour and storm shield and perhaps a force axe. put him with a sternguard squad wielding combi meltas and drop pod them. This unit will point and click away any vehicle regardless of size and armour the turn they come in (bye bye baneblades and land raiders), and also when disembarking the unit you put the libby up front to soak up the incoming ragefire with his 2+ armour, 3++ storm shield, 6+ FNP and 5+ IWND, that sternguard squad just got very difficult to take down and with vengenace rounds elite high armour infantry will have a bad day.

But we dont, we run blood angels :P

Make that lvl 2 liby with termie armor and SS, 7 man sternguards with combi melta and SP with combi-melta. all in a pod. Pretty much the same thing, all have 5+ FnP, only thing missing is the IWND.

yeah same thing, its an auto include when facing imp guards or other tank heavy armies, or even tau or eldar with their troop carriers, if you get to drop the first turn, they don't get their skimmer jink save

Archived