[HH1.0] Sons of Horus Tactica

Dorrance

For me the Justaerin can usually hang with the big boy HQs because of the rarity of S8/EW on HQ units but Reavers are almost the polar opposite - anything that’s a dedicated CC unit seems to pulp them pretty quickly sadly. I think there’s too much potent Anti-Marine stuff out there for Reavers to be too useful most of the time.

And combi-weapon Vets can bring the heat against anything, especially with Death Dealer.

For the points, is Maloghurst the best non-Primarch character in the game? He provides so much - Vets/Reavers as troops, Master of the Legion, a Standard, and his Warlord trait makes him a scoring unit - it’s always more challenging to list build without him or Horus to amp up the troops choices.

Well, you could try to be succesful with Pride of the Legion or even without a ROW.

Special characters are a fluffy, cool addition to any army in the best case or a crutch for the players skills when used to often.

Which is quiet ironic since we speak about Mal. ;)

I’m not saying that I use him in every list or that everyone should, simply that he provides so much for the points that he strikes me as being the best value in the game.
Oh, he is awesome no doubt about that but I always recommand to play without special characters which are so good.

Not always, of course. They are cool after all, but there are way to many players who doesn't now how to play without them and that I want to change.

I didn't want to hint that you are one of them though. Just a little idea for everyone who read it. :)

I have a 2500 points game tomorrow against imperial fists. He is going to use double cortus, double leviathan, double vindicator and double vindicator laser destroyer. We are going to test lists for a event in september, so the lists are closed and I can change mine. What do you think?

Maloghurst, THE LONG MARCH rite

3 rapier laser

Cortus, 2 grav, fist + chainfist in dreadclaw

8 justaerin, 3 power fists, 2 chainfists, 3 axes, 8 combiplasma

10 stalker veterans, 2 combiplasma, 1 power sword, 1 power Axe, vexilla, sargent with artificer armour and power fist, rhino with dozer blade

10 machine killers veterans, meltabombs, 2 meltaguns, power sword, power axe, vexilla, sargent with artificer armour and thunder hammer, rhino with dozer blade

Javelin, 2 Hunter killer missiles

Javelin, 2 Hunter killer missiles

10 heavy support with volkite culverin, sargent with artificer armour, melta bombs and augury scanner

Spartan, dozer blade, ceramite, flare shield

Edited by prime-alber

Hope the game goes well prime-alber! My immediate thought is that they’ve got a lot of anti-tank, which’d pose a good threat to your Spartan and Javelins etc., but perhaps less to deal with other things. Would you be putting the Justaerin in the Spartan for that purpose? I hope the Volkite squad has enough to target too! Would be interested to hear how the game went and how these lists matched up.

His list

-Praetor, Paragon, shield, lasers, teleport

-5 cataphractii, shields, power fists, teleport

-3 rapier quad with shatter

-2 cortus, kheres, dread fist

-2x 10 tactical

-2 vindicator laser destroyer, flare shield, ceramite

-2 vindicator, flare shield, ceramite

-2 leviathan with storm cannons, drill, phosphex and ceramite

We have played the mission of victory points by killing units and score addittional points killing a secret type of unit.

I won 14-11 but honestly I could have won with more points difference, but I prefieres yo play fluffy sacrificing units killing his praetor. I destroy his vindicator laser in the first turn, so my vehicles do it well the rest of the game

@Chaeron Yes, I used my Justaerin in the spartan... and I LOVE them. The volkites do It well killing tacticals first and then rapiers with saturation. The only imperial unit alive at the end of the game esa a cortus!!!

Edited by prime-alber

Was it the Cortus in the pod or the long range firepower that took them out?

Also are you starting the javelins on the board and using their hunter killer missiles in that first turn to benefit from the re rolls of 1s? Or bringing on later for the flank shots?

I was under the impression Vindicators couldn’t take flare shields, have I missed something?

Edited by SMcaptainAurelius

Sorry, It was a mistake. They don't have flare shields, they have dozer Blade.

I destroyed the vindis in turn one using a mix of contemptor, rapiers and spartan cannons. I killed a 10 man tactical Squad in cover with de volkites too

I use the javelins outflanking with the combiplasma vet Squad. They bring me an awesome Alpha strike in turn two. Being fair, he don't have units with augury scanner hahahaha

Edited by prime-alber

... new battle report on the30kchannel on YouTube with Sons of Horus. Won’t post any spoilers but it’s a great watch and there’s some good discussion points around list design and tactics.

Yep, they had extremely nice lists and the pre- and post-battle dialogues were golden.

I'm trying to build a 3000 point list for a narrative campaign, so no named characters.

At the moment it revolves around The Black Reaving; a one-two punch of Scouting Seekers and Breachers in distraction LR Proteuses, Deep Striking Praetor/Justaerin and as many Reavers as I can stuff in a Storm Eagle.

Something I have noticed about SoH.

Every list either uses Horus or Mal. How about some lists that do not revolve around our two most popular named characters?

Very insightful comment, would love to see your example. Don't use Veterans either since they are so overused.

Every list either uses Horus or Mal. How about some lists that do not revolve around our two most popular named characters?

Very insightful comment, would love to see your example. Don't use Veterans either since they are so overused.
Something like that?

(Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy) [1998pts] +++

++ Crusade (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) ++

+ HQ +

Centurion: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Melta Bombs, On Foot, Refractor Field

. . Chainsword or Combat Blade: Combat Blade

. . Consul: Centurion, Legion

Praevian: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Melta Bombs, On Foot, Refractor Field

. . Consul

. . . . Praevian

. . . . . . Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple: Enhanced Targeting Arrays, Support Unit

. . . . . . . . Castellax class Battle-automata: 2x Bolter, Darkfire Cannon, Stock Chargers

. . . . . . . . Castellax class Battle-automata: 2x Bolter, Darkfire Cannon, Stock Chargers

. . . . . . . . Legion Inductees: Tank Hunters

+ Elites +

Quad Launcher Support Battery, Legion: 2x Rapier, Legion, Shatter Shell

Veteran Tactical Squad, Legion: 6x Bolt Pistol, 2x Bolter, 4x Chainsword, Combat Blade, 3x Combi-weapon: Meltagun, Meltagun, Power Axe, 6x Veteran Space Marines, Legion, Veteran Tactics: Machine Killers

. . Veteran Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol

. . . . Chainsword or Combat Blade: Combat Blade

. . . . Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Meltagun

+ Troops +

Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory: 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

. . Rhino Armoured Carrier, Legion: Dozer Blade, Multi Melta

. . Standard Wargear: Bolters

. . Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Melta Bombs

. . . . Combi-weapon: Combi-weapon: Plasma gun

Tactical Squad, Legion , Compulsory: 14x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

. . Additional Wargear: Nuncio-vox

. . Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolter, Melta Bombs

Tactical Support Squad, Legion Plasma Gun: Plasma gun, 4x Space Marines, Legion, Support Squad

. . Rhino Armoured Carrier, Legion: Dozer Blade

. . Sergeant, Legion: Bolt Pistol, Plasma Gun

+ Fast Attack +

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod: Frag Assault Launchers

Seeker Squad, Legion: 4x Seeker Space Marines, Legion

. . Additional Wargear: 4x Combi-weapon: Plasma gun

. . Strike Leader, Legion: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs

Terrax Pattern Termite Assault Drill: 2x Twin-linked Bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Sicaran Arcus Strike Tank: Twin Arcus launcher

+ Allegiance +

Legion and Allegiance: XVI: Sons of Horus, Traitor

Just a hipshot but I guess it's a good start.

Seekers kill one infantry unit and vets kill one machine. Both turn one. Arcus and Castellax both kill one addition light to medium vehicle each.

In my experience two Thudd Guns + Castellax are enough to kill even a Spartan, if they can shoot in it's flanks.

Well, and the rest is self-explanatory.

Maybe it would be a good idea to upgrade the Centurion to a Siege Breaker and put him in the Thudd Guns though... but like I said:

It's just an idea how a list could work.

Edited by Gorgoff

Something like that?

+ HQ +

Centurion: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Melta Bombs, On Foot, Refractor Field

Praevian: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Melta Bombs, On Foot, Refractor Field

. . Consul

. . . . Praevian

. . . . . . Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple: Enhanced Targeting Arrays, Support Unit

+ Elites +

Veteran Tactical Squad, Legion: 6x Bolt Pistol, 2x Bolter, 4x Chainsword, Combat Blade, 3x Combi-weapon: Meltagun, Meltagun, Power Axe, 6x Veteran Space Marines, Legion, Veteran Tactics: Machine Killers

+ Troops +

Tactical Support Squad, Legion Plasma Gun: Plasma gun, 4x Space Marines, Legion, Support Squad

+ Fast Attack +

+ Heavy Support +

+ Allegiance +

Seekers kill one infantry unit and vets kill one machine. Both turn one. Arcus and Castellax both kill one addition light to medium vehicle each.

In my experience two Thudd Guns + Castellax are enough to kill even a Spartan, if they can shoot in it's flanks.

Maybe it would be a good idea to upgrade the Centurion to a Siege Breaker and put him in the Thudd Guns though... but like I said:

Beautiful list mate, however i don't understand how the vets could kill one machine on turn one. Are they within the dreadclaw? If i remember well you could't disembarked from the dreadclaw when you arrive

I'll admit mine is purely theme/skew list for my local narrative group.  It's definitely not a 'Good List' but it looks like a fun one-off.  Background is just that I got picked as an 'attacker' to start off an invasion force but it's still standard missions, 2,500 pts, no special characters (make your own hero).  My first opponent said that we could get a quick 2 hour game in this week or wait for some indeterminate time for the schedule to clear up.  And thus, we have...

Airborne Assault Company "Birdemic"

++2,500 pts: Crusade: Sons of Horus, Traitors++

++Rite of War: Angels Wrath++

+ HQ +
Praetor: Tartaros Terminator Armour, Combi Bolter, Chainfist

-Grenade Harness

Herald: Artificer Armor, Bolt Pistol, Power Sword
-Consul: Herald: Banner of the Eye

+ Elites +
Terminator Squad, Tartaros plate (8): Combi-bolters, 4X Power Fists, 3X Power Swords
- Veteran Terminator Sergeant: Combi-bolter, Power sword

+ Troops +
Tactical Squad, Legion (20): bolters

- Veteran Sergeant: Power Axe, Melta Bomb

-Storm Eagle: Twin-linked Heavy Bolter, Twin-linked Las Cannons

Tactical Squad, Legion (20): Bolters

Tactical Squad, Legion (20): Bolters

+ Fast Attack +
Storm Eagle Gunship:

- Twin-linked Heavy Bolters, Twin-linked Las Cannons

+ Heavy Support +
Fire Raptor Gunship:

-Two Quad Heavy Bolters, Hellstrike Missiles

It'll hit quick and/or it'll die quick, nothing big or fussy.  Born from the errant comment that no one in our group has seen more than 3 Eagle/raptor frames on the table at a time.  And, well, I can change that :tongue.: It'll fulfill what I need at least and doing what I can to leverage Merciless Fighters and Death Dealers along with Strafing Run.

Still, while Death Dealers gets a lot of traction thanks to Mal and vets along with some great support weapons and transport options, Merciless Fighters doesn't seem to get pressed into service much.  

And I'm well aware that reasonable individuals would be using Dreadclaws with support squads, or even 2 dropped contemptors instead of the Termin-eagle or using 'that rite' at all, but... y'know, Eagles.  

Edited by Vykes

Something like that?

+ HQ +

. . Consul

. . . . Praevian

+ Elites +

+ Troops +

+ Fast Attack +

+ Heavy Support +

+ Allegiance +

Beautiful list mate, however i don't understand how the vets could kill one machine on turn one. Are they within the dreadclaw? If i remember well you could't disembarked from the dreadclaw when you arrive

You remember badly. ;)

Of course you can disembark the turn you come on. Get out, shoot your S8 +1 through machine killers Melta Guns and that is that.

• 2 weeks later...

I’d go heavy on Justaerin and Reavers. I’ve had decent success doing something like this for a core:

Rite of War - Black Reaving

Praetor Tribune (Delegatus is probably better)

Chaplain

Master of Signal

15 Reavers

15 Reavers

20 Tac Marines

2x 5 Justaerin with combi-plasma

Fill in with whatever you might need as required. Honestly once you hit a critical mass of power armor bodies it’s pretty hard to lose because you just have so many guys on the table. I won a small tourney here doing almost exactly that. Deep Strike is incredibly good still so the Justaerin will be super useful and trying to plow through 50 PA guys with 10 2W Cataphractii backing them up is a real challenge for most lists.

Edited by panascope

Fill in with whatever you might need as required. Honestly once you hit a critical mass of power armor bodies it’s pretty hard to lose because you just have so many guys on the table. I won a small tourney here doing almost exactly that. Deep Strike is incredibly good still so the Justaerin will be super useful and trying to plow through 50 PA guys with 10 2W Cataphractii backing them up is a real challenge for most lists.

I suppose my only thought is: there's a lot that can kill that number of powered armoured models, sometimes a squad a turn will die. Squad of Volkite Culverins or Quad Rapiers for instance can really wreck those quickly. That said, I like that aesthetic (it just screams Heresy), and so I like to have more Tactical Marines than most - but I think it's also providing enough viable threats that these sorts of units are ignored (and subsequently score, or otherwise). Justaerin that are Deep Striking are a prime example!

• 4 weeks later...

Having taken a break from HH to play 8th I'v decided to dust off my SoH army and read up on the recent FAQs, but seeing the Sniper removal from Veteran squads I am now considering running either running two units of kitted out tactical blobs or going for the more expensive route with jump pack Reavers. I like the idea from a fluff standpoint but I'm just having a hard time choosing between the deadly but expensive Reavers and the slower but cheaper tacts. My local meta consists of a few buddies who love running melee based Blood Angels and World Eaters armies so I feel like I can get away with large blobs of infantry without having to worry about any ap3 blast templates and the like. Are either choices a fine idea? Or am I better off sticking to Veterans in rhinos kitted out with some combi-weapons?

Reavers can and will make points back you just need to be smart. Do not waste points on them for a job they do not do. CQC? Chain axes and maybe two power axes. I always take a fist on the Chieftan as well as Artificer armor. The Special Weapons can be usefull but I stick to melta guns MAYBE.

Plus Reavers are rule of cool.

I love me some reavers but I'm on the legion tactical squad bandwagon: but it's always one of those toss ups with 'what does the rest of your force look like'?  I mean, Jump pack Reavers+Destroyers are gonna do the Warmaster's work, and are a rock solid mechanicus blender too.  But against Blood Angels and World Eaters, you are gonna need every single advantage in close combat to stand up to even a legion/inductii squad with extra weapons let alone dedicated assault groups.  They are hard and they do make things grisly. 

Depends what kind of legion squads you're running now, but some despoiler esq groups with bolters+chainswords and apothecaries are part of a complete breakfast.  And they look terrific... and death dealers with a big squad in big boy transports are equally delicious. Both are good, both are very good... 

...modestly good, honestly.  The 9th and 12th are pretty hard to chomp in close combat, but with jump pack 'outnumbering' and maxed out reavers, or just bodies for legion squads, you could stand a chance at beating them at their own game while softening them up with your much better shooting.