[HH1.0] Sons of Horus Tactica

Dorrance

-blinks and looks- You know, Gorgoff, dude, I had thought it would be cost prohibitive but... looking at it now, it's still cheaper than a contemptor prime CCW equivalent.  Eek, I may have to try that too as it sounds great.  Good idea there, mate. 

Now... how to really go about modeling contemptor-cortus convincingly. 

-blinks and looks- You know, Gorgoff, dude, I had thought it would be cost prohibitive but... looking at it now, it's still cheaper than a contemptor prime CCW equivalent. Eek, I may have to try that too as it sounds great. Good idea there, mate.

Now... how to really go about modeling contemptor-cortus convincingly.

The IV. Contemptor looks just fine for that purpose with all his cables, improvised armour plates etc

Have a look:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo0yHyPn7ih/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=d4b9ry6rply2

Oh man, you weren't kidding.  That fits the bill perfectly, Gorgoff.  I kept thinking they were closer to the XIXth's contemptors and more heavily ornamented with their silver skulls.  Man, even the banding can easily be painted as simple thermoplast banding (à la mk. V plate).  Yeah, I may well have to pick up a pair of IV as Cortus boys. 

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I would tend to agree. I've been toying with the idea of reavers for a while but they do seem pretty expensive once you give them some upgrades.

I love the idea of volkite & jump pack but it does seem quite cost prohibitive for what you get.

Rule of cool, however, cares not for points efficiency!

They're from a time when everything was just... More expensive...

Given another run through in a legions book or FAQ they'll probably get either a points drop or an options/ rules change to make them worth it.

The best way to look at them is Jump Pack Veterans but with the options of things like Chainaxes or becoming compulsory troops without a RoW.

Outflanking a reasonably sized squad with a few combi-weapons to shoot isn't a bad idea at all.

Greetings!

It seems, that I will be attending on a tournament in March, and I'd like to take my SoH army. It is a small tournament with only 1500 point (not ZM though...), and it seems like a perfect opportunity, to finally have a game or two, after the long waiting. 

I choose the Sons, because they are far from completion, and this would give me a chance to cut some loose ends, and to have a painted army.

It seems, that I will be facing mostly Legiones Astartes armies, but I saw some cults, militia and Mechanicum too.

Currently I have 3 Veteran Squads (one with melta, one with heavy bolters, one with plasma), 10 regular Tactical Marine, 5 Tartaros Terminators, a Chaplain, 2 Rhinos, 1 Vindicator and one Contemptor Dreadnought at my disposal, but I would like to get some Justaerins too in the coming months.

What would you suggest? What to take, or what would I need to have a solid force? I'm really excited, but on the other hand I have zero experience with the XIVth...

Edited by TheDreadfulSagittary

• 2 weeks later...

in my opinion, I think you may struggle to fit Justaerin in a 1500 point list, they need a transport (dreadclaw or land raider) which means you'll be looking at 400-500 points for the unit, which is a sizable investment for a 1500 point list. You could take a warmonger and deep strike them, but that's a similar points investment.

Based on the units you have, Pride of the Legion is a good rite of war or you could take Maloghurst and The Long March, both options let you use the veterans as your compulsory troops. The contemptor and vindicator are solid choices for 1500 points.

The chaplain is a good choice to buff melee units like assault squads and reavers, although as mentioned above, reavers are pretty expensive. However a unit of reavers with a chaplain in the Long March Rite of war can be good (fleet in no mans land). 

I think you'd be better off writing a list and some of the chaps on here can give you some feedback and suggestions :) 

Are there any load outs that would make a SoH Legion Champion stand out? 

Paragon blade is sick, of course, but trying to think if there’s any combos of war gear that would make one different than the usual, like EC w/ spear, BA w/ perdition blade, IF and Sal w/ SS, IH w/ cyber-familiar, etc...

Maybe Paragon blade + plasma pistol to get the most out of Legion rules, though any pistol is “wasted” since it doesn’t get you the +1A.

Are there any load outs that would make a SoH Legion Champion stand out? 

Paragon blade is sick, of course, but trying to think if there’s any combos of war gear that would make one different than the usual, like EC w/ spear, BA w/ perdition blade, IF and Sal w/ SS, IH w/ cyber-familiar, etc...

Maybe Paragon blade + plasma pistol to get the most out of Legion rules, though any pistol is “wasted” since it doesn’t get you the +1A.

Paragon Blade already takes advantage of the legion rules as it let's him do an extra attack with merciless fighters. Since the Paragon Blade addition no EC will take Spears.

To maximise this you could take terminator armour and a power fist/ combi plasma (can't remember the full restrictions)

• 2 weeks later...

If you have the points, fists/chainfists are invariably better. Axes are fine if you're strapped for points, but non-unwieldy weapons are not generally a good idea. It's not worth sacrificing their hitting power for the possibility of an extra attack in certain contexts, and you're already capitalising on Death Dealers with the combi-plasma, so I wouldn't worry. I have a handful of Justaerin built with lightning claws mainly for rule of cool but they rarely see use.

If you have the points, fists/chainfists are invariably better. Axes are fine if you're strapped for points, but non-unwieldy weapons are not generally a good idea. It's not worth sacrificing their hitting power for the possibility of an extra attack in certain contexts, and you're already capitalising on Death Dealers with the combi-plasma, so I wouldn't worry. I have a handful of Justaerin built with lightning claws mainly for rule of cool but they rarely see use.

Nice, cheers! I wondered if a single LC/ Sword or Maul for cheap might be good to pile some wounds on at I4/ get a Merciless swing in/ a cheaper wound mook...

Nice, cheers! I wondered if a single LC/ Sword or Maul for cheap might be good to pile some wounds on at I4/ get a Merciless swing in/ a cheaper wound mook...

Occasionally it will pay off and you'll get a single extra kill on a MEQ model or even more rarely put a wound on something nasty before it gets to hit you, but it also means that if you are forced to clash with an equivalent elite unit then the poor sod carrying the AP3 weapon is essentially contributing nothing beyond being a 2 wound meatshield. YMMV depending on what armies you regularly play against/what units your opponents take. In a bigger unit throwing one or two Terminators in with a power axe to be the first guys to die has some merit to it though and still lets you swing at AP2, but in a 5 man squad I'd stick to fists/chainfists.

Units are always more impactful when they are focused, e.g. a Terminator unit with a maul, a sword, an axe, a claw, and a fist looks awesome but is far less impactful than a unit with 5x fists or 5x claws. That's an extreme example and lore-wise it makes sense to me that SoH would use a vast range of weapons but you get the point

• 2 weeks later...

Units are always more impactful when they are focused, e.g. a Terminator unit with a maul, a sword, an axe, a claw, and a fist looks awesome but is far less impactful than a unit with 5x fists or 5x claws. That's an extreme example and lore-wise it makes sense to me that SoH would use a vast range of weapons but you get the point

This prompted me to check my Justaerin, and it is basically just Fists - with a single Axe for the aesthetic beauty on them! I think you're absolutely right in terms of what they can do - it's the best option both for all-round utility but also making sure that whatever they face they can destroy without too much hassle.

• 1 month later...

I think volkite calivers and chargers and also flamers are all worth being 10 strong.

Melta I’m not sure. They could be worth it to go after multi-wound terminators with apothecary attached, monstrous creatures, and obviously vehicles. I’ve never run melta squads myself though, only machine killer vets with combi-melta who never really last long after their first volley and melta-bomb kamikaze and some combi-melta justaerin bad boys who after shooting the transport want to be stuck into their victims in combat.

Certainly against a cybernetica mechanicum list, or something similarly tough I’d say they’d be a good shout though.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess my thinking would be whether they'd be better as Veterans than as a Support Squad (thinking of cost, effectiveness, etc.). You're not necessarily going to get the same build here of course, but whether that trade for versatility is worth it might be a good consideration - especially when contemplating their delivery mechanism too. It might also depend on the construction of the rest of the list too? I think Support Squads are one of the things I've seen the fewest of in Heresy armies, so it might make a really nice alternative if nothing else - there's no denying that sort of build can be effective, if it can get close enough.