One thing that's cool to note is that any Imperial Knight or Forgeworld model you take would recieve any Detachment rule that applies (The Knight as a Lord of War), if applicable. So the Red Thirst from Baal Strike Force affects any Knight you take as your Lord of War for example. Edited by Swculve

Hey Swculve, thanks for the interest :smile.:

Wait, can we take over charged on the Vindicator laser destroyer? :ohmy.:

Overcharged Engines isn't on any Forgeworld Data Sheet, not something you can do unless you are just making up your own rules with your opponent.

No it's not on the Deimos Vindicator Laser Destroyer Datasheet but what is, is this:

The Vindicator may also take items from the relevant Vehicle Equipment list for the Codex it is being used in conjunction with.

Whilst OVE is not on the generic BA vehicle upgrade list, it is an upgrade for BA tanks using this chassis. For the time being, Forgeworld's response is simply to "talk to your gaming group". 

Sadly, I don't have one yet...

One thing that's cool to note is that any Imperial Knight or Forgeworld model you take would recieve any Detachment rule that applies (The Knight as a Lord of War), if applicable. So the Red Thirst from Baal Strike Force affects any Knight you take as your Lord of War for example.

Couple of points:

• I was under the impression that an Imperial Knight can only be taken as a Household Detachment, Oathsworn Detachment or Formation?
  • BSF, FTSF, ASF all have the restriction whereby only those with Faction: BA may be part of the Detachment, with the only exception being Fortificaitons. So no Marauders (Faction: Astra Militarum), Titans (Faciton: Legio Titanicus) proof, Cerastus Knights (Faction: Imperial Knights), Cypher (Faction: None/Cypher), etc, in those Detachments.
Edited by Jolemai

<p>

Hey Swculve, thanks for the interest :smile.:

Overcharged Engines isn't on any Forgeworld Data Sheet, not something you can do unless you are just making up your own rules with your opponent.

No it's not on the Deimos Vindicator Laser Destroyer Datasheet but what is, is this:

The Vindicator may also take items from the relevant Vehicle Equipment list for the Codex it is being used in conjunction with.

Whilst OVE is not on the generic BA vehicle upgrade list, it is an upgrade for BA tanks using this chassis. For the time being, Forgeworld's response is simply to "talk to your gaming group".

Sadly, I don't have one yet...

One thing that's cool to note is that any Imperial Knight or Forgeworld model you take would recieve any Detachment rule that applies (The Knight as a Lord of War), if applicable. So the Red Thirst from Baal Strike Force affects any Knight you take as your Lord of War for example.

Couple of points:
  • I was under the impression that an Imperial Knight can only be taken as a Household Detachment, Oathsworn Detachment or Formation?
  • BSF, FTSF, ASF all have the restriction whereby only those with Faction: BA may be part of the Detachment, with the only exception being Fortificaitons. So no Marauders (Faction: Astra Militarum), Titans (Faciton: Legio Titanicus) proof, Cerastus Knights (Faction: Imperial Knights), Cypher (Faction: None/Cypher), etc, in those Detachments.

All Knight's are Lords of War that can be taken by any Imperium Faction. They even specifically state this in their data sheets A "insert given Knight" may be taken as a Lord of War choice for any faction that is part of the Imperium"

Edited by Swculve

Wow. There's a comment I never expected!

I guess I could look into putting more tanks on the board. The whole point of the Knight is that it keeps up with the Rhinos, offers a distraction and a huge psychological factor. More vehicles wont have the same effect but against certain lists, could be a better choice.

For what it's worth, whilst I don't want to tailor my force to a specific opponent, my up coming game is booked against Eldar...

*sobs*

"The Vindicator may also take items from the relevant Vehicle Equipment list for the Codex it is being used in conjunction with."

That sounds good enough to me. I'm mean, I'd run it by my opponent, but I cant see there being much argument about it.

EDIT: Aw, beaten to it. >_<

Edited by Bukimimaru

Interesting comment about Strike Force Mortalis; I have to say I'd overlooked that Formation. Assuming I'd be allowed to proxy my regular Dreadnought as a second Death Company Dreadnought, I could put out something like this:

1850, DC Mech, v2

Flesh Tearers Strike Force

Chaplain

~ Grav pistol, melta bombs

~ Warlord

Scouts (5)

~ Melta bombs

Assault Squad (5)

~ Meltagun (2)

~ Inferno pistol, grav pistol and melta bombs

~ Drop Pod

Relic Sicaran Battle Tank

Strike Force Mortalis

Chaplain

Death Company (5)

~ Bolter and power fist (1)

~ Bolt pistol and chainsword (4)

Death Company (5)

~ Bolt pistol and power sword (1)

~ Bolt pistol and chainsword (3)

~ Bolter (1)

~ Rhino

Death Company (5)

~ Bolter (1)

~ Rhino

Death Company Dreadnought

~ Meltagun and storm bolter

~ Drop Pod

Stormraven Gunship

~ Twin-linked assault cannon

~ Twin-linked multi-melta

Oathsworn Detachment

Imperial Knight Paladin

Thoughts

Is a grav pistol on a chaplain a waste?To have a Sicaran, the HQ in the FTSF needs to me my Warlord. Trying to think of a better choice than a Chaplain...Otherwise, one Chaplain will roll with the tanks and one will arrive in the Stormraven.

If I go ahead with this, I've decided to remove a grav pistol from my non-HQ Chaplain and to reinvest the points into a meltagun on my Imperial Knight and a combi-grav on my Scout Sergeant. The reasons being I want to try out the Scout-grav theory that was being debated last month and I want to meltagun to ensure my Knight can charge a nearby target (I'm not going to fire the battlcannon at something 6" away and if the stubber can't wound/penetrate it then I can't charge it?).

If I were to drop the Formation and use a BSF, then I'd lose a Death Company Dreadnought and a Chaplain, turn the remaining Death Company Dreadnought into Cassor the Damned, purchase a grav-bike squad and add a few more Death Company with toys. That said, I think I'm going to give the Formation a whirl :)

I really like strike force mortalis, people forget that crusader gives d3 to sweeping advance rolls and with rampage the extra attack makes small units of DC able to break large units AND run them down reliably.

If you want the strike force mortalis.... Maybe drop the knight for a second raven (if you have one) to take the second dc dread in. If there are still points, a sky shield (again assuming you have one). One trick pony - maybe, but I've recently found that dc dreads assaulting out of Ravens is pretty amazing. You could also put some dc in the raven (s).

My view is that Ravens need to be built around - to assault out of them is awesome, but you need to build your list for this capability - reserve manipulation, or a sky shield so they can start on turn one, and aerial superiority (firestorm redoubt or other fliers).

I note that it's been a while since the original post. Have you had a game with it yet?

The thing is, I don't have a second Raven nor a Skyshield. Meanwhile, my Knight is painted in DC colours!

I do know what you mean, just a little limited right now: earliest I will get a second Raven would be for ETL V...

I'll be playing with the most recent list this Saturday and in due course, I'll have a report in my blog and my Liber Victorum thread :)

Edited by Jolemai

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting comment about Strike Force Mortalis; I have to say I'd overlooked that Formation. Assuming I'd be allowed to proxy my regular Dreadnought as a second Death Company Dreadnought, I could put out something like this:

1850, DC Mech, v2

Chaplain

~ Warlord

Scouts (5)

~ Melta bombs

Assault Squad (5)

~ Meltagun (2)

~ Inferno pistol, grav pistol and melta bombs

~ Drop Pod

Relic Sicaran Battle Tank

Strike Force Mortalis

Chaplain

Death Company (5)

Death Company (5)

~ Bolter (1)

~ Rhino

Death Company (5)

~ Bolter (1)

~ Rhino

~ Drop Pod

Stormraven Gunship

~ Twin-linked assault cannon

~ Twin-linked multi-melta

Oathsworn Detachment

Imperial Knight Paladin

Thoughts

Is a grav pistol on a chaplain a waste?To have a Sicaran, the HQ in the FTSF needs to me my Warlord. Trying to think of a better choice than a Chaplain...Otherwise, one Chaplain will roll with the tanks and one will arrive in the Stormraven.

If I go ahead with this, I've decided to remove a grav pistol from my non-HQ Chaplain and to reinvest the points into a meltagun on my Imperial Knight and a combi-grav on my Scout Sergeant. The reasons being I want to try out the Scout-grav theory that was being debated last month and I want to meltagun to ensure my Knight can charge a nearby target (I'm not going to fire the battlcannon at something 6" away and if the stubber can't wound/penetrate it then I can't charge it?).

If I were to drop the Formation and use a BSF, then I'd lose a Death Company Dreadnought and a Chaplain, turn the remaining Death Company Dreadnought into Cassor the Damned, purchase a grav-bike squad and add a few more Death Company with toys. That said, I think I'm going to give the Formation a whirl :smile.:

So, how did this list get on? Read here.

• 1 year later...

Potentially taking this to Warhammer World at the end of the month, so here's a revamp using all the painted, WYSIWYG, and legal stuff I've got for the list. I've also needed to tweak it post-Angel's Blade due to the increased cost of the meltacide :dry.:

1850, Mechanised Death Company list

:HQ:

Chaplain

:Troops:

Scouts (5)

~ Shotgun (1)

~ Combat blade (3)

~ Combi-grav, melta bombs

:FA:

Assault Squad (5)

~ Meltagun (2)

~ Combi-melta, melta bombs

~ Drop Pod

:HS:

Predator Squadron (1)

~ Lascannon sponsons, storm bolter, overcharged engines

Strike Force Mortalis

Chaplain

Death Company (5)

Death Company (5)

~ Bolter (1)

~ Rhino

Death Company (5)

~ Bolter (1)

~ Rhino

~ Drop Pod

Stormraven Gunship

~ Twin-linked assault cannon, twin-linked multi-melta, extra armour

~ Legacy of Glory: War of Murder

Oathsworn Detachment

Imperial Knight Paladin

Thoughts:

• Not happy with the lack of melta bombs nor the naked Chaplains but that's the best I can do for now.
  • Need to decide which Chaplain to make the Warlord and what table to roll on.
  • Last time I did this, both Chaplains started in the Rhinos. Maybe I should take an axe instead of a sword on the DC if I do this?
  • Anymore fining tuning you can think of?

• 2 months later...

Potentially taking this to Warhammer World at the end of the month, so here's a revamp using all the painted, WYSIWYG, and legal stuff I've got for the list. I've also needed to tweak it post-Angel's Blade due to the increased cost of the meltacide :dry.:

1850, Mechanised Death Company list

Chaplain

Scouts (5)

~ Shotgun (1)

~ Combat blade (3)

~ Combi-grav, melta bombs

:FA:

Assault Squad (5)

~ Meltagun (2)

~ Combi-melta, melta bombs

~ Drop Pod

:HS:

Predator Squadron (1)

~ Lascannon sponsons, storm bolter, overcharged engines

Strike Force Mortalis

Chaplain

Death Company (5)

Death Company (5)

~ Bolter (1)

~ Rhino

Death Company (5)

~ Bolter (1)

~ Rhino

~ Drop Pod

Stormraven Gunship

~ Twin-linked assault cannon, twin-linked multi-melta, extra armour

~ Legacy of Glory: War of Murder

Oathsworn Detachment

Imperial Knight Paladin

Thoughts:

• Not happy with the lack of melta bombs nor the naked Chaplains but that's the best I can do for now.
  • Need to decide which Chaplain to make the Warlord and what table to roll on.
  • Last time I did this, both Chaplains started in the Rhinos. Maybe I should take an axe instead of a sword on the DC if I do this?
  • Anymore fining tuning you can think of?

How did it get on against the Ultramarines? See here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Another one needing an update for this edition. The theme here remains mechanised Death Company at 1850 points.

1850, Mechanised DC list

Battalion Detachment

Chaplain

~ Stormbolter

~ Veritas Vitae

~ Warlord: Artisan of War

Sanguinary Priest

~ Chainsword, stormbolter

Scouts (5)

~ Camo cloak, chainsword, sniper rifle

~ Camo cloak, sniper rifle (4)

Scouts (5)

~ Bolt pistol, chainsword/knife (4)

~ Shotgun

Scouts (5)

~ Bolt pistol, chainsword/knife (4)

~ Shotgun

Vanguard Detachment

Tycho the Lost

:Elite:

Death Company (7)

~ Boltgun, powerfist

~ Bolt pistol, power sword

~ Hand flamer, chainsword

~ Bolt pistol, chainsword (4)

Death Company (5)

~ Bolter, chainsword

~ Bolt pistol, chainsword (3)

Death Company (7)

~ Bolter, chainsword

~ Stormbolter, meltagun, Furioso fists

~ Magna grapple

:FA::FA:

Stormraven Gunship

~ Twin heavy bolter, twin plasma cannon

:Troops::Troops:

Razorback

~ Lascannon & twin plasma gun, stormbolter

Razorback

~ Twin assault cannon, stormbolter

Super-heavy Auxiliary Detachment

Knight Paladin

~ Rapid-fire Battlecannon, heavy stubber, ironstorm missile, reaper chainsword

~ Freeblade

Options and Thoughts

• Just the 9 CPs so I've got the Veritas Vitae on the off chance I can recover some. Chaplain is the Warlord, undecided if I want to use Death Visions of Sanguinius here. Priest is a classic, fluffy choice and who doesn't like 2+ to wound DC again T4?
  • Scouts push high for first wave (snipers do what they do elsewhere). Knight marches forth with tank support (unless they need to go objective hunting). Stormraven does it's thing...
  • Two smaller DC units go in the Razors, big one in the Stormraven along with the DCD. Unsure of where to put each character, but I'm looking at one in each tank and one in the Stormraven.
  • Paladin because 1) I own a Freeblade in DC colours 2) that's his only weapon choice currently. I happen to think the RFBC is a decent all round weapon anyway...
  • Yes I really plan on taking DC Tycho. Yes I know he's not optimal. However, I think he's a decent support character in the same manner as, say, an Assassin is. Basically, he's a fluffy nuisance and I want to use him at some point...

Basically, what am I missing here to fine tune this?

• 2 years later...

Trying to finally update all my lists for 9th but I'm at a bit of a loss going forward with this list, my mechanised DC list. It's the Knight that's the problem. I still don't really know how best to use it in 9th and can I afford to lose 3CP for it? Then there's the Warlord's Detachment. The only Troop choices I have are Tactical Squads. I need an entire new core that fits the theme: so a Patrol and spend more CP on a Vanguard, or Battalion (more Troops) and fit the DC around them.

Tricky.

Options

• DC Tycho
  • 6 foot Chaplains
  • 3 foot Sanguinary Priests (and Corbulo)
  • ~ 20 Foot DC
  • 2 DCDs
  • 2+ Rhinos
  • 3 Razorbacks
  • 2 Predators (plus other tanks)
  • Stormraven Gunship
  • Freeblade (in DC colours)
  • 3+ Tactical Squads 

• 8 months later...

Revamp post Supplement; this is where I'm at so far...

1850, Mechanised DC list

Blood Angels Battalion Detachment

Chaplain

~ Boltgun

Exhortation of Rage, Litany of Hate

Rites of War, Visage of Death

Tycho the Lost

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Flamer

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Boltgun, chainsword

~ Plasma gun

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Boltgun, chainsword

~ Plasma gun

Death Company (6)

~ Bolt pistol, powerfist (1)

~ Boltgun (1)

~ Bolt pistol, chainsword (4)

Death Company (5)

~ Bolt pistol, power sword (1)

~ Bolter (1)

Death Company (5)

~ Bolt pistol, power sword (1)

~ Bolter (1)

:FA::FA:

Stormraven Gunship

~ Twin heavy bolter, twin assault cannon

:Troops::Troops:

Razorback

~ Twin lascannon

Razorback

~ Twin lascannon

Super-heavy Auxiliary Detachment

Knight Paladin

~ Rapid-fire Battlecannon, heavy stubber, ironstorm missile, reaper chainsword

Freeblade

Musings

• 9 CP
  • Character + DC in each Lasback. Six man DC + flamer Tacticals in Stormraven. Plasma Tacticals on foot. Knight has fun doing Knight stuff.

• 1 year later...

Used this last night, but was able to update the thread sooner. Here's the current setup and built towards Nephilim, changes in red:

1850 Mechanised DC List

Blood Angels Battalion Detachment

Chaplain

~ Bolter

Master of Sanctity, Litany of Hate, Mantra of Strength, Canticle of Hate

~ Warlord, Rites of War, Visage of Death

Tycho the Lost

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Storm bolter, chainsword

~ Missile Launcher

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Combi-melta, chainsword

~ Meltagun

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Combi-grav, chainsword

~ Grav-gun

Death Company (5)

~ Power sword (1)

~ Power fist (1)

~ Chainsword (3)

Death Company (5)

~ Power sword (1)

~ Power fist (1)

~ Chainsword (3)

Death Company (7)

~ Power axe (2)

~ Hand flamer, chainsword (1)

~ Chainsword (4)

:DTran:

Razorback

~ Twin lascannon, storm bolter

Razorback

~ Twin lascannon, storm bolter

:Flyer:

Stormraven Gunship

~ Twin heavy bolter, twin assault cannon, hurricane bolters

Imperial Knight Super Heavy Auxiliary Detachment

:LoW:

Knight Paladin

~ Heavy stubber, chainsword, ironstrike missles

Freeblade, Questor Imperialis, Peerless Warrior

Musings

• Changes have basically been to tweak/finetune following the points changes since I last updated this
  • 4 CP to start with. Can potentially allow something to go into Strategic Reserve
  • Characters + smaller squads into the Razorbacks, larger squad into the SR to avoid "eggs in one basket"
  • Tacticals follow in the DC's wakes to do Actions
  • Secondaries: Fury of the Lost, (usually) Shock Tactics, + another (Likely Abhor the Witch, but Raise the Banners is doable too)

Ended up playing Tau. Mission was Secure Missing Artefacts. List was:

• Enforcer Battlesuit
  • Darkstrider
  • Shadowsun
  • Sunshark Bomber
  • 1x10 Kroot
  • 2x10 Strike Teams
  • 2 Broadsides
  • 2x3 Stealth Suits
  • 1x5 Crisis Battlesuits
  • 1 Ghostkeel

So yeah... Went second, Knight died before I could use it. Every save rolled was 1-3 bar two 6s :down: Spent 3 CP (Uncompromising Fire + Flakk Missile) to shoot the Sunshark and missed; pretty much did minimal shooting damage during the game. Ghostkeel had six wounds left in combat, dithered about the order to attack it, opted with the DC and it left it on 1W so the Chaplain finished up... forgot to fire the missiles on my Stormraven :facepalm: etc, etc. It was one of those games. Three Tactical Marines survived.

Tau 78-69 BA. My Secondaries were FotL: 7, ST: 4, RtB, 8. Not terrible and there's something I can work with here once I take the uncertainty and unfamiliarity (Knight, Fury, SR, opponents, etc) out of my game. In hindsight, maybe I could have put the Knight in SR for 3 CP, but it did tank the entire Tau shooting phase so... tbh it was nice doing something a bit different and I have no idea how I held on there.

Always do - first game this edition with this list though; my group seems to just want to do 2k more often than not. 

Banners surprised me as I've never been particularly good with it. I think the combo of secondaries works ok with this list, now I need to push it that little bit more. It also helped me learn more about Tau and other aspects of my BA that I don't normally use, so :thumbsup: