Knights of House Cydonia, Taghmata Omnissiah and Skitarii

Thanks everyone. Here's the process I used for the screens.

Spray black undercoat, intentionally letting some silver get onto the screens when painting around them, 1 thin coat of Caliban green so some of the shine of the silver comes through but its not consciously visible (old classical art trick usually done with yellow in oil painting), touched up with a little more Caliban green where the silver was too bright through it. Biel-tan green layer for extra depth, lines thickly done with warpstone glow, a little Caliban green to neaten that back up, then thinner marks with Moot green, sometimes just part of the ends of lines to get the inconsistent thickness of text and old monitor glow, neatened up where needed and broken up a bit with more warpstone, some skull white on the oscilloscope to sharpen it's corners and give that constant bright redrawn look oscilloscopes have. Then another Biel-tan layer, then a thin layer of nurgle's rot, then a carefully applied bit of nuln oil around the edge of the screens, finally some 'ardcoat (think it was two coats, the second quite thick to get a more even glassy surface as it tends to go streaky).

Been working on the Saviour Pod.
A bad pic, but it's just a quick snap under poor light while the microsol is doing it's work.

gallery_80324_13389_311575.jpg

The number will be 3 digits long, but i'm doing the center digit and getting it sealed before adding the other two on the next layer. The partial cog of course will be layered onto too. And i'll get some decent pictures that show off the paintwork when it's all done.

Edited by Battybattybats

Ok so the Saviour Pod is nearly done, but i'm not sure about the 'nose' for want of a better term, it's sculpted roughed up and looking at the edges perhaps a little melted from re-entry, but i'm not sure what i want to do with it other than having the paint all gone from it. Scorch it? Put some coloured heat staining? Just give it a wash? Suggestions welcome.

At any rate, here's how it's looking currently.

gallery_80324_13389_62336.jpg

Perhaps an inauspicious number pod, but the low number suggests an important crew or passenger. The age of the machine is also clearly quite old, but so to would be the vessel from which it ejected.

Gluing the lid open like this was going to be a bit tricky, so i kept part of the plastic at the join clear of paint and used plastic glue getting each part a bit melted to maximise the 'weld' effect, holding it carefully at the angle i wanted, hopefully it'll hold.

gallery_80324_13389_437362.jpg

Looks like whoever escaped in this was injured going by the blood....

gallery_80324_13389_184041.jpg

Clearly they got blood on the side climbing out. The medi kit in the top compartment looks not to have been touched though, guess they had to leave in a hurry...,

gallery_80324_13389_344391.jpg

Not easily visible unless the pod lands on top of a building but i included it anyway, a warning symbol on the reverse side.

gallery_80324_13389_207634.jpg

As visible from the front there's some more blood, from where the passenger used their bloodstained hand to force the hatch open.

I expect the sculptor took some influence from ODST. I have played ODST when it came out so if my scheme and markings are close I may have been unconsciously influenced, though the shape largely dictated where the markings should go. The blood just followed the narrative that arose in my head while working on it.

While i contemplate ways to finish off the saviour pod some more bad blurry hint pics of a project that's been waiting nearly 30 years to happen.

It goes back to Adeptus Titanicus, the first GW game i got my hands on (though i already had some Citadel D&D miniatures) and the Wil Rees artwork of Techpriests.

05574420f6a0271bb5ea89a258badd4e.jpg

Those aren't Dark Mechanicum Hereteks but not only loyal Techpriests but those who maintain the Golden Throne! I love the whole piece, but especially the chainsaw faced techpriest who, according to an interview with the artist i read once, cuts out diseased/worn-out segments of the bio-mechanical veins keeping the Emperor alive. So, many years later, i begin this:

gallery_80324_13389_5653.jpg

That's a corpse cart driver for the body, a plastic beastman skull head from the old WHFB plastic skeleton sprue carved back in the nose region to stick in a chainsword blade tip which came from a friends bit-box and was i believe originally from a plastic spacewolf of some sort.

gallery_80324_13389_528908.jpg

So here's it with the hood and arm pieces in place. I haven't decided what the absent hand will be replaced with yet, i need to decide on a generator back part and things like servo-arm(s) and/or mechadendrites etc. So there's a lot yet to be done on this and i'll get some decent pics if i can at some point.

And how will a techpriest from Holy Terra dedicated to the maintenance of the Golden Throne fit with my army? Well the 7th edition lore about the Golden Throne being malfunctioning and attempts to find ways to repair it in time will have one of the Techpriests with such a potent duty joining the Explorators journeying from Forgeworld St Hoagland.

As for what's happening with St Hoagland and New Ares in 8th edition, i'll have to get into what i've decided about that some point soon :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And on getting Forgebane today i realised i should have held off gluing the Arcane Ruins till after i read the missions. Ok so i'll need to make a press-mold of a certain part, i was planning to learn to do that with the banding between road portions to help base large models to fit the Sector Imperialis terrain and small bases where the large basing kit pieces won't do or more road shape is needed with them.

• 3 weeks later...

So time to show one of the pieces i've been working on, one of my Haemotrope Reactors.

gallery_80324_13389_270932.jpg

As usual this piece also uses my philosophy of painting based on maintanance and use. I looked for where there'd be screws first, as they'd be there for disassembly for maintenance and repairs, so they'd be bare of paint and around them would be scratched from hands (or other appendages) used for stability and purchase when unscrewing. If you look closely you can pick out where a crane lifts the ring from it's housing and where servo-haulers then hold it for the front and back panels to be removed.

gallery_80324_13389_354994.jpg

gallery_80324_13389_170871.jpg

I'm so eager to get this one photographed you'll notice there's still some wash drying on the promethium outlet cover.

gallery_80324_13389_76444.jpg

I painted in the flames of the furnace (where the portions of remains of Skitarii and Servitors not deemed worth reusing are tossed so their volatile floodstream catalyses the promethium) using very very watered down paint. I haven't decided the colour for the light above the furnace nor whether it is meant to be on when the door is open or closed. Suggestions welcome.

gallery_80324_13389_97855.jpg

And so here's the skull. Like most skull decorations of St Hoagland and New Ares it is grown bone tissue cultured over a mold, so had to look to have the proper transparency and weathering of bone. So multiple blobbed-in washes for an uneven blotchy pattern (when they say don't let wash pool remember, there's always a reason to break a rule) with heavily watered down rakarth carefully blobbed down over the highlights and ridges taking care to keep it where the light falls strongest and spread it thinly over the shadows while keeping uneven tone even on the highlights.

gallery_80324_13389_159880.jpg

I'm still yet to decide about the light on the right and the two eyes that will glow. Will the light on the right be a power-on light and so green and glowing or a warning light and so red and not glowing? Suggestions welcome on that too.

gallery_80324_13389_360358.jpg

The last pic is out of focus but gives the full piece, chimneys and all.

gallery_80324_13389_306305.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an in-progress shot showing how the silver scratching looks before the red on my 2nd Haemotrope reactor

gallery_80324_13389_278064.jpg

The camera decided top focus on the finished one but at least it gives an idea.

The front gives a much better shot.

gallery_80324_13389_22383.jpg

Now let's see how the first one looks with the lights done.

gallery_80324_13389_448049.jpg

gallery_80324_13389_172906.jpg

And some closeups to compare the different furnace effects i got

gallery_80324_13389_79744.jpg

gallery_80324_13389_37450.jpg

Not sure what i'll do when these and the promethium pipes are done, there's the sector mechanicus terrain to do but i also want to get back to finish the Void Shield Generator, the Dragoons and also my Knights, it'll depend which way the muse calls when the time comes i guess :)

Here's the shape the sector mechanicus terrain is taken, the crane will go on the tower on the right.

gallery_80324_13389_626588.jpg

So it's 3 buildings and 2 walkways as well as various separate bits. I may need some more Promethium Pipes but i'll determine that after i get a Plasma set, and i've a container set to assemble too. It'll be a while before everything is painted at my pace, but the pace is steady even if slow.

I'll do a tutorial once my arm recovers enough for painting (earlier today I had to leap out the window in my pjs to get a pack of dogs to let go of one of my sweethearts cats, the biggest one took a number of punches to let go of the cats throat and i seem to have hurt the muscles in my arm with the force used. The cat is on way to the vet now)

The cat is now home, things looking good for him, my arm is regaining much of it's range of motion steadily as the bruising comes out. I managed a bit of knitting (I'm knitting a flying saucer) which hurt a bit but shows I should be back to painting soon so I expect I'll be able to get some pics for a short tutorial on my weathered paint technique sometime during the week.