Razorbacks in 7th edition ?

GreyCrow

Oh!

Yeah, it's the transport of choice for Command squad + HQ ;)

With regular Tactical Marines though, I wouldn't spend the points to put a 6th dude in though. I've tried it a few times and it didn't bring anything worthwhile to the game. The unit is best kept cheap with a cheap special weapon and eventually a power weapon on the sergeant, but the latter is not necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been thinking about RB w TLACs for my Raven Guard, the points raised (especially about outflank and about target saturation) definitely give me the impression that this could be amazing, as such, I was wondering whether you guys might be able to chime in on this list that I've made for it.

Would this list be a good way to run RBs with RG chapter tactics?

Shrike - 185

Command Squad - 5 man - 3 Meltaguns, 2 Flamers - Drop Pod - 175

Vanguard Squad - 5 man - JP, 5 Plasma Pistols & Bolt Pistol, 5 SS, 5 MB - 260

Tactical Squad - 5 man - RB w TLAC - 145

Scout - 5 man - Shotguns, Combi-Melta & MB - LSS w Heavy Flamer - 115

Stormtalon Gunship - TLLC - 140

Vindicator - Extra Armour, Siege Shield - 145

Total: 1740

ModelCount: 40

From what you've told me, I've got 3 options: outflank, target saturation or aggressive armoured spearhead. Btw, this is unfamiliar territory for me. The only mech lists I've ever run are Eldar and Dark Eldar, so your help is very much appreciated!

Oh!

Yeah, it's the transport of choice for Command squad + HQ ;)

With regular Tactical Marines though, I wouldn't spend the points to put a 6th dude in though. I've tried it a few times and it didn't bring anything worthwhile to the game. The unit is best kept cheap with a cheap special weapon and eventually a power weapon on the sergeant, but the latter is not necessary.

I'd take one for Chaos marines if I could.

RG Chapter Tactic pair nicely with the shorter range TLAC Razorback and really removes their only weakness of short range.

Keeping the Marines inside cheap saves you points and reduces the inefficiency of not being able to fire from a fire point.

I've been thinking about RB w TLACs for my Raven Guard, the points raised (especially about outflank and about target saturation) definitely give me the impression that this could be amazing, as such, I was wondering whether you guys might be able to chime in on this list that I've made for it.

Shrike - 185

From what you've told me, I've got 3 options: outflank, target saturation or aggressive armoured spearhead. Btw, this is unfamiliar territory for me. The only mech lists I've ever run are Eldar and Dark Eldar, so your help is very much appreciated!

It may work...its basically the ole 5th ed Blood Angels armored column list. However there is also a reason you don't see those floating about anymore in competitive play. Vindicators need cover when they advance cause from the side they are basically Rhinos. So it will make it a risk to Scout your Razors cause they are the cover for your Vindis.

There is about 60 pts to squeeze out of the list like LC's on the talons, extra armor, and siege shields.

Flatly this will suck poop through a tin straw against any sort of Eldar list that uses 2 or more wave serpents and its not gonna be much more fun against D. Eldar. The dreaded inquisitor with servo skulls is also not gonna make it much fun. Anything that forces you into reserve is gonna basically leave your drop pod, vv, and vindis hanging in the wind. So its not as much flexibility as you think.

The other thing that strikes me is the lack of melta. One unit is your entire ranged melta and a 5 man assault squad is your cc melta. So your opponent bubble wraps his Redeemer on deployment cooks the poor SOB's to death and shoots his entire army and assaults the vv's turn one. Now you got a rampaging land raider that you have two LC's to deal with...if your shooting at his Redeemer what is shooting at your Talons? Vindis suck at anti tank it's one hit.

I would beef up your tacs with melta guns and melta bombs for a little redundancy.

Cheers for the comments.

Has anyone thought of the viability of Forgeworld's Multimelta Razorbacks? Was just thinking getting a couple of those might be really useful for a scouting force. What do you guys reckon?

How do you think it stacks up against the other options for razorbacks that we have?

If it was a TL-MM like the immolator it would be ok.

65 pt for a single melta shot however, no thanks.

Now if you want to razors to work, spam them properly. I've tested the list below and a version with two land raiders and no devs. Both actually worked ok thanks to 'fast' and great redundancy. Not sure which chapter would be best o try this with using normal marines.

Captain Tycho (art armor, combi melta with sternguard ammo, ignores armor, armorbane, armywide ld10 when alive)

3*Furioso dreads (Frag cannon and melta, drop pods)

6*Assault squads (5 man, flamers, TL-assault cannon razorbacks)

2*Devastator squads (4 missile launchers, TL-Heavy flamer razorbacks with dozerblade)

That's 23 scoring units, 12 with 'objective secured'. Huge number of small squads that will hopefully take time to kill off thanks to potential fearless and that ld10 from rites of battle.

Shrike - 185

The podded command squad with spec weapons will be ragefired after the turn the drop n' pop a vehicle (or roast a squad), I suggest that you add a apothecary for FNP and have a few survive for another turn of fire if not charged (you would barely dare charging multiple flamers). Also the enemies scouting units will focus on popping your vindis from side or behind. They are more vulnerable than what they appear. I would ditch the vindis and add a raven and have it come in together with the talons as a stormwing formation granting the raven strafing run. that will leave you with extra points for a apothecary to join the command squad.

• 1 month later...

What has happened to the Twin linked multi melta razorback?

I have been playing 'Scars for a few years but found my old Sallie army in the shed.

This army had 21 TLMM razors with Vulcan.

Pic below shows 13 off them I took to a campiegn at WHW. 

It was a multiple spearhead event which allowed me to field this entire force. With Vulcan all the flamers and meltas became twinlinked, didn't do much to the TLMM razors but sure helped the combat squaded tacticals, the melta heavy stormguard, and the speeders.

Since I found them last month I have repaired them fit for the table.  Now I can't seem to find the TLMM razor variant. Are these still acceptable to play, or should I break and dispose of as rhino's?

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/Kramanal/Kramanals%20Salamanders/P1110019.jpg

Shrike - 185

It may work...its basically the ole 5th ed Blood Angels armored column list. However there is also a reason you don't see those floating about anymore in competitive play. Vindicators need cover when they advance cause from the side they are basically Rhinos. So it will make it a risk to Scout your Razors cause they are the cover for your Vindis.

There is about 60 pts to squeeze out of the list like LC's on the talons, extra armor, and siege shields.

Flatly this will suck poop through a tin straw against any sort of Eldar list that uses 2 or more wave serpents and its not gonna be much more fun against D. Eldar. The dreaded inquisitor with servo skulls is also not gonna make it much fun. Anything that forces you into reserve is gonna basically leave your drop pod, vv, and vindis hanging in the wind. So its not as much flexibility as you think.

The other thing that strikes me is the lack of melta. One unit is your entire ranged melta and a 5 man assault squad is your cc melta. So your opponent bubble wraps his Redeemer on deployment cooks the poor SOB's to death and shoots his entire army and assaults the vv's turn one. Now you got a rampaging land raider that you have two LC's to deal with...if your shooting at his Redeemer what is shooting at your Talons? Vindis suck at anti tank it's one hit.

I would beef up your tacs with melta guns and melta bombs for a little redundancy.

Wave Serpents really do make a mockery out of any marine armour bar the Land Raider. Even AV13 on Preds/Vindis doesn't really mean anything when Wave Serpents have the mobility to get side armour.

Vehicles are on the long list of Marine stuff that needs re-pointing to match the modern state of the game. Be interesting to see which happens first, that or Eldar/Wave Serpents going through the current GW blanderiser

Lasbacks are quite nice, because of that they are more survivable than shorter range weapons. But Tactical marines wants to be in rapid fire range eventually, so because of that I am thinking that assbacks are getting more interesting.

I would say it's entirely possible to run a competitive and interesting Lascannon-plasmagun razorback list. Consider the following:

Pedro Kantor

Sternguardsquad(5) - 5 combimelta/lightningclaw + Razorback - Lasplas

Sternguardsquad(5) - 4 combiflamer/heavyflamer/lightningclaw + Razorback - Lasplas

Sternguardsquad(5) - 4 combiflamer/heavyflamer/lightningclaw + Razorback - Lasplas

Tacticalsquad(5) - Plasmagun/Lightningclaw/meltabomb + Razorback - Lasplas
Devastatorsquad(5) - 4 Lascannon + Razorback - Lasplas

17 Lascannons
10 Plasmaguns
8 CombiFlamers
2 heavy flamers
5 CombiMeltas

If I cannot penetrate their armor I will drown them in sunlight!

I would say it's entirely possible to run a competitive and interesting Lascannon-plasmagun razorback list. Consider the following:

Pedro Kantor

17 Lascannons
10 Plasmaguns
8 CombiFlamers
2 heavy flamers
5 CombiMeltas

Drown them in sunlight! And "interesting" wouldn't be the word i use to describe this list, but that's just me :p It is definitely a brutal list though, no doubt about it.

I thought you guys might like to see my last Salamander army list used on a campeign weekend at WHW.

Special campeign rules was for a spearhead weekend.
First games was to field as many spearheads as you want in 1000pts, each spearhead could only be fielded once.

My army was:
Crusher
2 x TLMM Razorbacks
Tankhunter
3 x TLMM Razorbacks
Mechassault
3 x 5man Sternguard squad(2 x MM) each in a TLMM Razorback
Skyfall
3 TLMM Landspeeders

second games were 1500pts (no models to be from spearhead lists)

my army:
Vulcan Hestan

6 Tac squads each with 1 flamer.1MM with attached TLMM razorback

5 Assault Terminators with thunderhammers and shields
1 TLMM Landspeeder

Final games was both armies combined.

14 TLMM Razorbacks and 4 TLMM Landspeeders was quite a sight on the table.

Don't think this would be legal anymore, but wont know until I get the new IA2.

Pedro Kantor

17 Lascannons
10 Plasmaguns
8 CombiFlamers
2 heavy flamers
5 CombiMeltas

Drown them in sunlight! And "interesting" wouldn't be the word i use to describe this list, but that's just me tongue.png It is definitely a brutal list though, no doubt about it.

I'll manage somehow. Probably by making everything True-Scale. whistlingW.gif

Just organised a legal (I hope) Sallie force to take to my local club on Sunday.   

Not played Sallies for 4 years but will report on how good/bad the army is.

Vulcan Hestan

2 6 man tacticals, MM, Meltabomb, TLMM Razorback

2 5 man tacticals, MM, Meltabomb, TLMM Razor

3 5 man sternguard, 5 combimelta, Lightningclaw, TLMM Razor

3 5 man devestator, 4 MM, TLMM Razor

26 twin linked multimeltas, 15 twinlinked combimeltas, twinlinked heavy flamer.

If I can get close enough I think it will be quite killy.

Shrike - 185

GUNSLINGER VANGUARDS LOVE IT!

Archived