Razorbacks in 7th edition ?

GreyCrow

I think I would only use the Heavy Bolter Razorback with a 5 marines squad that only has a Flamer. That way I get a cheap heavy weapon for the squad and we're unlikely to fire a flamer from the hatch of a Rhino anyways.

I've had some good experiences with the las/plas turret for the Razorback. It's not as efficient as other variants when dealing with specific targets or at a specific range of engagement like the TLAC, but it provides good support opportunities regardless of the range at which you decide to play it.

What units do you guys usually put in your Razorbacks ? We've mainly discussed the tank itself so far, but aside from the cheap 5 man Tactical squad that seems a given, have you tried using it as a transport for other units ?

well sternguard can take 2 heavy weapons, but if your not taking a heavy flamer then don't touch them lol. what about 6 crusader squads with lascannon plasma gun and a combi and mb on the sword brother with a las plas razorback, runs for 200 each, so for 1200 that's a lot of ap 2 shots. add in 3 tfc, a firestorm redoubt or 3 stalkers and a libby its a good 1850.

I've had a fair bit of success using them to bring sternguard in from reserve, particularly against aggressive tyranid units like flanking stealers and rapid gaunts. Being in reserve keeps the sternguard safe whilst the enemy move themselves into rapid fire range, and when they do arrive, the exrta firepower of the razorback adds to whatever the sternguard are doing.

@ Axagoras, I think you meant Chaplain or MotF. There are no Librarians in the Black Templars.

I'm currently running two las-plas squads in a TLLC Razorback each. I find it great for back field camping and the occasional snipe. The AV 11 needs to either be spammed or have distractions, such as ironclads or land raiders.

I'm currently considering running a semi mecanized list for a Raven Guard demi company, and at first I was planning on running infantry squads and felt they didn't really work with the Raven Guard CT.

So I came back to my first love for the dedicated transport, that is the Razorback. I just love the fact that it allows to bring a small squad with decent firepower very close thanks to scout.

I wanted to have your opinion on whether the target saturation is sufficient enough to safely operate the Razorbacks at 1500 points :

4 Razorbacks with 5 tactical marines and a Captain in one of them

1 Dreadnought in a Pod

2 Typhoon

3 Attack bikes

1 assault squad

With the RG CT, I plan to use the Scout move and Turn 1 to set up a good charging position for the Tactical squads out of line of sight in or near the enemy as well as keep the Razorbacks in cover. Turn 2 will be when all the firepower and assault will come together.

In terms of loadouts, I was thinking 2 las/plas, 1 AC and a regular one.

However, I find the Heavy Bolter very underwhelming when operating at close ranges, while the Heavy Flamer looks a lot more interesting against Infantry. What do you think about this turret ? Have you tried it yet ?

Is this enough distraction from the Razorbacks

Just organised a legal (I hope) Sallie force to take to my local club on Sunday.

Not played Sallies for 4 years but will report on how good/bad the army is.

Vulcan Hestan

2 6 man tacticals, MM, Meltabomb, TLMM Razorback

2 5 man tacticals, MM, Meltabomb, TLMM Razor

3 5 man sternguard, 5 combimelta, Lightningclaw, TLMM Razor

3 5 man devestator, 4 MM, TLMM Razor

26 twin linked multimeltas, 15 twinlinked combimeltas, twinlinked heavy flamer.

If I can get close enough I think it will be quite killy.

I think the TLMM are not available anymore, although there is a single melta version available in the Imperial Armour books... IIRC, Vulkan makes all melta twin linked, right ? That way you could get your twin linked MM on the Razorback.

Alternarively, you could assault a Sisters of battle bastion with the righteous might of the Emperor at your side, steal their Immolators, change the pink paint for a green paintjob and call it an (unbound) day.

Another thing to consider in the Razorbacks is that when you need that extra heavy weapon without caring much for the extra 4 bodies, the Razorback does a wonderful job for its point cost.

It brings armour saturation, range, mobility and twin linking for the price of a Tactical squad and a flamer. It works well in armies that are already filled with anti-infantry and have sufficient body count to not really need the extra manpower.

The Razorback brings that more secured firepower and more importantly the ability to move your squad and shoot the Heavy Weapon.

For armies which Chapter Tactics effectively drives them towards anti-infantry, like the Raven Guard (you can't make cost effective or tactically viable dedicated anti-tank or anti MC assault or vanguard marines compared to cheaper, more natural options) which Chapter Tactics highly benefit jump infantry in an anti-infantry role, having a couple Razorbacks really helps giving anti-tank power to Tacticals without sacrificing mobility.

In which case, short ranged versions like the Assault Cannon or LasPlas works best.

Not really sold on the Heavy Bolter at all because it's more effective to have 5 marines for anti infantry than 3 TL S5 shots that are twinlinked. The heavy flamer after thinking about it could pay off, but is very tricky to pull, and would work better imho in Iron Hands lists for the durability and the fact that the rest of their lists is going to drive infantry in cover !

Just organised a legal (I hope) Sallie force to take to my local club on Sunday.

Not played Sallies for 4 years but will report on how good/bad the army is.

Vulcan Hestan

2 6 man tacticals, MM, Meltabomb, TLMM Razorback

2 5 man tacticals, MM, Meltabomb, TLMM Razor

3 5 man sternguard, 5 combimelta, Lightningclaw, TLMM Razor

3 5 man devestator, 4 MM, TLMM Razor

26 twin linked multimeltas, 15 twinlinked combimeltas, twinlinked heavy flamer.

If I can get close enough I think it will be quite killy.

I think the TLMM are not available anymore, although there is a single melta version available in the Imperial Armour books... IIRC, Vulkan makes all melta twin linked, right ? That way you could get your twin linked MM on the Razorback.

Alternarively, you could assault a Sisters of battle bastion with the righteous might of the Emperor at your side, steal their Immolators, change the pink paint for a green paintjob and call it an (unbound) day.

Another thing to consider in the Razorbacks is that when you need that extra heavy weapon without caring much for the extra 4 bodies, the Razorback does a wonderful job for its point cost.

It brings armour saturation, range, mobility and twin linking for the price of a Tactical squad and a flamer. It works well in armies that are already filled with anti-infantry and have sufficient body count to not really need the extra manpower.

The Razorback brings that more secured firepower and more importantly the ability to move your squad and shoot the Heavy Weapon.

For armies which Chapter Tactics effectively drives them towards anti-infantry, like the Raven Guard (you can't make cost effective or tactically viable dedicated anti-tank or anti MC assault or vanguard marines compared to cheaper, more natural options) which Chapter Tactics highly benefit jump infantry in an anti-infantry role, having a couple Razorbacks really helps giving anti-tank power to Tacticals without sacrificing mobility.

In which case, short ranged versions like the Assault Cannon or LasPlas works best.

Not really sold on the Heavy Bolter at all because it's more effective to have 5 marines for anti infantry than 3 TL S5 shots that are twinlinked. The heavy flamer after thinking about it could pay off, but is very tricky to pull, and would work better imho in Iron Hands lists for the durability and the fact that the rest of their lists is going to drive infantry in cover !

I would like to say that razor rush is an effective RG at tactic, but that multi melta devs are another good choice.

Archived