Generic artefacts

One thing that kinda nags me is how Chaos characters are running around with the same named artefacts. Khârn's EC-roaster is making the rounds in the galaxy along with the Axe of Blinding Fury and the Last Memory of the Yuranthos. Don't get me wrong, these things are mighty cool and all, but sometimes you want an empty canvas to work with.

So, I reckon there should be a generic-but-killy close combat weapon that isn't the AoBF. Fluffwise it could be an archeotech chainsword, a Dark Mechanicum axe, a warp-spawned cudgel or whatever, but for all intents and purposes a S:user AP2 weapon. Looking at the cost for the axe I'd say 20-25 points is about right for that.

Then, shooting weapons. A pistol and a heavier gun. For the pistol, I'd say plasma pistol profile, assault 2 pistol. The heavier gun could work like an assault heavy bolter or somesuch. Thoughts?

Practically the new relics aren't any different form how things like Iron Halos and Adamantine Mantles used be in editions past, powerful wargear with a 'one per army' limitation, just now they all have specific names. But really there's no difference between the profusion of burning brands, and fielding Huron in colours other than Red Corsair. A funky flamer doesn't have to be the actual weapon Khârn used earning his moniker, but they are similar enough to use the same crunch.

That said, I do miss the existence of the generic daemon weapons from the previous Codex.

Relics just seem to be the way of things now.  Still, I'd also like less reliance on them for functional characters in our next book.  Especially if the ork codex's "one artifact per character" restriction becomes a general trend.

I want ranged demon weapons.

Kai Gun is what you're after.

I always thought the Kai Gun should have a profile as follows: Range 36" S:6 AP:2, Blast, Daemon Gun, Daemon Gun: a daemon gun is like a Daemon weapon, but instead of rolling D6 you roll D3, if a natural "1" is rolled, then the character takes a wound no saves allowed, with its BS reduced to 1 for the rest of the turn.

Ranged daemon gun would be cool. A 1 on a d3 is way to risky for an auto-wound, though. Unless that were tied to a 3 being a Str D hit for the enemy or something to balance it out. Chaos isn't about our own toys hurting us, but there being a high risk to high reward. Maybe if there were levels like in the C:D where you could choose your levels of risk vs reward for generic daemon weapons, that might be nice.

I'd rather have assault4/ s6 AP3, on a roll of one its reduced by 1 shot per turn , on a 6 fire again gun.

I'd also love a chance to craft our own weapons, dependant on marks bought and with variable drawbacks.

Example - a Sx2, melee, power weapon that adds +1I but wounds user on a 1 or 2 for about 60pts.Take off any rule there to take the chance back to 1 in 6 for 45ish pts.

Ranged daemon gun would be cool. A 1 on a d3 is way to risky for an auto-wound, though. Unless that were tied to a 3 being a Str D hit for the enemy or something to balance it out. Chaos isn't about our own toys hurting us, but there being a high risk to high reward. Maybe if there were levels like in the C:D where you could choose your levels of risk vs reward for generic daemon weapons, that might be nice.

No no a 1 on a D6, a natural 1, which means a 2 on a D6 for D3 doesn't inflict a wound, it's just one shot.

Sounds too hasslesome.

As long as we're making stuff up and wishlisting, I'd prefer to see the 'daemon weapon' rule altered to make it a straight drawback like in 3.5.  Something like "Daemon Weapon: whenever a model attempts to use this weapon, make a leadership test.  If the test is passed, the model uses the weapon as usual.  If the test is failed, the model may still use the weapon, but suffers a wound with no armor save allowed, and is reduced to weapon skill 1 and ballistic skill 1 until the end of the current game phase".

That would free up 'daemon weapons' to include both melee and ranged weapons, and the benefit of the daemon weapon could be tailored to each individual one.  Maybe some have +d6 attacks, others +d6 strength, others the ability to trade all of their normal attacks for a single strength D attack, etc.

I'd like to see something similar to dwarf runes. Have certain weapons able to purchase "Daemonic upgrades" to a certain points level. So you pay for a power axe then purchase upgrades such as armourbane, extra attacks, etc. Could even apply to certain ranged weapons.

Oooo... There's an idea. Chaos Runes for armor, weapons or vehicles. Rune of Possession, Rune of daemonic Might, Rune of Soulfire, etc...

And if wishes were... Something....we'd all have... Something.

The 'Codpiece of Cashmere' will do for me.

But if it went to one artifact only then I'd be saying farewell. Chaos create artifacts. They gift them to their champions.

Sounds too hasslesome.

As long as we're making stuff up and wishlisting, I'd prefer to see the 'daemon weapon' rule altered to make it a straight drawback like in 3.5.  Something like "Daemon Weapon: whenever a model attempts to use this weapon, make a leadership test.  If the test is passed, the model uses the weapon as usual.  If the test is failed, the model may still use the weapon, but suffers a wound with no armor save allowed, and is reduced to weapon skill 1 and ballistic skill 1 until the end of the current game phase".

That would free up 'daemon weapons' to include both melee and ranged weapons, and the benefit of the daemon weapon could be tailored to each individual one.  Maybe some have +d6 attacks, others +d6 strength, others the ability to trade all of their normal attacks for a single strength D attack, etc.

We all want 3.5 back. It was the closest we ever got to the perfect codex.

Archived