Krom Dragongaze Rules

CatSmasher

From my local GS source.

Like in the new ork codex all units come as dataslates, so it should be no problem using him as HQ. Maybe you can even "build" your own Krom with the current SW codex, but I don't have it to make sure. He costs the same as a Ironclad Dread his stats are 675/4/4/3/5/4/10, 3+. He is quipped with a Boltpistol,Frag and Krak grenads and the belt of russ (4++). also he has a wyrmtalon, his +2,AP2 mastercrafted axe. USR: ATSKNF,counterattack,furious charge,acute senses, stubborn. His warlord trait is (translated) "Saga of the born warrior": He has to make challenges and accept them whenever possible but can reroll all to hit rolls if he fights in a challenge.

What do you think?

The rules for Krom are covered in the other post, so I'll give you those for Grukk: 5pts cheaper than Krom, 5/2/5/5/3/4/4/9,4+. He has a (excuse me if I don't properly translate the ork weapons, I don't know all their english names) combigun with bazooka, a squig that lets him reroll 1 to hit die in close combat, a bosspole and stikkbombz along with his special Gitripper, a x2,AP2, rending energy claw. USR are green horde, ere we go, furious charge, feel no pain and can call a Waagh. His warlor trait is "roaring tyran" which lets him and all friendly ork units in 12" reroll failed morale or pinning tests.

Judging by the language issues, this seems to be a cut and paste reply from some other source, so its not as reliable as the guy actually having seen it

From my local GS source.

Like in the new ork codex all units come as dataslates, so it should be no problem using him as HQ. Maybe you can even "build" your own Krom with the current SW codex, but I don't have it to make sure. He costs the same as a Ironclad Dread his stats are 675/4/4/3/5/4/10, 3+. He is quipped with a Boltpistol,Frag and Krak grenads and the belt of russ (4++). also he has a wyrmtalon, his +2,AP2 mastercrafted axe. USR: ATSKNF,counterattack,furious charge,acute senses, stubborn. His warlord trait is (translated) "Saga of the born warrior": He has to make challenges and accept them whenever possible but can reroll all to hit rolls if he fights in a challenge.

What do you think?

A 3+ save with an Unwieldy axe, makes him dead in the water, especially when he has to accept challenges.

On the positive side it looks like his attacks are S8 on the charge, and he'll get the extra attack for the off-hand weapon.

Lastly, BS7 with a Bolt Pistol? Why bother?

It could be an extra digit or it could be a movement stat

There hasn't been a Movement characteristic in the stat line of 40k since second edition.

Are Power Claws unwieldy too?

I believe so, yes, but don't have the latest Ork codex to verify.

I read it as WS 7

Upon further review, I believe the '7' was supposed to be a '/' which means WS 6, BS 5, and the usual 4 for Marine Strength and Toughness, etc.

As mentioned above, I like him with the exception that they chose not to give him Runic Armour. Regular Power Armour on a Wolf Lord is a huge fail.

He is Ragnar black mane 2.0 but personally he is worse I think the reason he has the axe is besides rule of cool in a strait up fight with a sword he would beat the ork warboss every time.

I plan to build him as my new Ragnar and the axe will be used for another character

What about the belt of Russ, with the 4++ it seems pretty nice. That weaponskill and Initiative seems poorly placed on a frost axe.

The 4++ is fine, but nothing more than 'the standard' for Marine Captains and higher. What that boils down to is a 50/50 chance to die outright to a Wounding Hit from a Power Fist, or similar high-Strength weapon. That's fine, though, as again, it's the standard Invulnerable save for the unit type, and there is a trade-off for others that upgrade to a Storm Shield (they pay additional points, as well as sacrifice a potential extra offhand attack).

The problem is with the Power Armour. He is now exceptionally vulnerable to AP3, Power Weapons and equivalents, particularly Force Weapons and those that can inflict Instant Death. The Unwieldy Axe, although powerful if he lives to attack, puts him at risk by allowing any/all Power Weapon attacks to go first. In fact, it puts him at risk against the attacks of regular enemy troops with plain CCWs, as a third of any of those Wounding hits will leak through, as well.

I'm extremely disappointed, but not because I'm particularly interested in playing Krom (I'm not at all), but because I read this as an indicator that they're not going to take care of Ragnar, either. He needs Runic Armour badly.

Can someone do me a huge favor and convert ironclad Dreadnaught into a codex unit point value? I don't have ironclad rules.

I will say his stat line (armor save excluding) seems pretty solid. I also noticed that the axe listed above did not actually say unwieldy. This could easily be an oversight of course, and as gruks klaw is unwieldy I would say it's likely it was just left out, but it seems there is room for hope that it strikes at initiative

True, if it isn't Unwieldy, then that'll make a rather significant difference, but I doubt they're going to allow S:7 on the charge at I:5. If they did, it might change the calculus on the risk assessment for his lack of 2+ armor some.

Seems like GW is pushing unwieldy as a strength, but just not sure how to implement it....lol.

Convince the other guy he needs it, while you take strike at initiative weapons?

I am 100% sure it was mêlée, master crafted and unwieldy.

I'm also disappointed because it looks like frost axes will be just +1 strength power axes again.

Of course, they still might be decent weapons based on price, for instance if they're only 3 points more expensive than a power weapon. But based on what we have seen so far I'm not optimistic.

At this stage Krom is just ludicrously badly designed. I find it really really hard to make sense of the decision to combine power armour, unwieldy, and having to challenge. In many contexts, he'll be suicidal and useless.

My input on the whole frost weapon idea is the following,

Frost weapons should almost be like the Smash attack for a MC.  If you want the strength boost without unwieldy, then you halve your attacks.  If you want your full attacks, you get them, but with unwieldy on it.

Archived