Calth: An Apologist and Doghouse True Scale Project Log

Doghouse

I go with 1st as well, the second one looks okay, but it doesnt seem to look Ultra. I would imagie that as a general who understands his men... He would arm and armour himself as they would, so as not to set himself apart or seem too aloof!

The first to me also suits the Space Marine aesthetic more, the second looks like cataphract plate.

Although the dirst pauldron does look a teensy bit small?

What sort of pauldrons does he have on the cover of Know no Fear?

I go with 1st as well, the second one looks okay, but it doesnt seem to look Ultra. I would imagie that as a general who understands his men... He would arm and armour himself as they would, so as not to set himself apart or seem too aloof!

I definitely agree with the idea that Guilliman would lead by example. That's the sort of virtue I think the Ultramarines would cultivate.

Thanks all for your thoughts on the pauldrons. I decided to go with rounded plates, to keep the classic Space Marine silhouette, but had a little play around and have gone for a third option...

Very excited to see your rendition of Guilliman.

Also - forgive me if it has been asked already - where is Selaton's head from? He is incredible.

Keep an eye below! :)

Selaton's head is from Forge World's Praetor kit, I think. I bought it from ebay, so I'm afraid I can't tell you for sure whether it's the power armour or Terminator plate version. I trimmed away the bionic eye/targeter thing using a sharp knife to resculpt the head, then added a little greenstuff hair.

Congrats on the engagement mate and fantastic models as usual.

I'm still working on mine at the mo, just not had a lot of free time to get stuff done and posted.

Hooray! Welcome back from the galactic rim, brother. Have you changed your armour colour while on Crusade? Looks a little... crimson and daemony ;)

Cheers for the congratulations – wedding plans are picking up steam now, so I'm going all ahead to get as much done as possible when I have free time.

Roboute Guilliman, Primarch of the XIIIth Legion Astartes
IMG_4092.JPG
I continued working on Guilliman. He's now complete pending any final tweaks or changes, so I gave him a quick light prime of grey to make all the colours and materials uniform. This gives me a much better idea of what's working and what's not.

IMG_4091.JPG

IMG_4094.JPG
The front view shows the new shoulder pads well. The filigree detailing fits in well, and because they're likely to be slightly unfamiliar to most 40k players, I think that should help sell the overall model as something different to its components.

IMG_4095.JPG
Having removed the flame-nozzle, I decided to remove the fuel lines but retain the power cables, as I realised I could add a little monitor (taken from the volkite culverin set) on Guilliman's forearm. This is intended as a nod to his note-taking and general command-and-control role. It's inspired by the communicator/scanner device on the Master of Signal.

IMG_4096.JPG
The backpack's from Vulkan, with the fuel tanks removed and a few extra gubbins added on.

IMG_4097.JPG
This picture shows a mag-clamped multi-barreled Maetherian ray-pistol.

IMG_4098.JPG
...and a scale shot, to show just how tall Roboute stands. I'm pleased with the posing. The aim was to get him looking like he's ascending reluctantly, but not hesitantly, to confront his brothers. Wary, but unafraid.

I'd love to hear what you think.

Are those Scibor pads?

They do look good. Remind me a bit of a picture from the older codex of an Ultramarines champion, I think in the back pages, with the oversized left pauldron.

Can't... take it.. anymore...

Must... collect... Ultramarines...

He's looking fantastic mate. Only thing i'd say is that the hilt of the sword could use an extension, seems a little small for the length of the blade/size of the wielder.

He's looking fantastic mate. Only thing i'd say is that the hilt of the sword could use an extension, seems a little small for the length of the blade/size of the wielder.

eek.gif

My only suggestion is to lengthen the sword hilt.

*Peers at sword hilt*

+SCRAPSHUNTERRORABORT+

D'oh! The end's dropped off somewhere between my desk and these photos :D

Cheers for the heads-up on that, chaps, and glad you like him. I'm very pleased with how he's come out. The burning question remains – what colour to paint his hair? tongue.png

Some other bits I'd ordered turned up, too, so I could finish off a few more marines. I've got five assault marines waiting for pistol holsters, grenades etc., and a couple of breacher marines to add to the squad; but here's three more Tacticals.

IMG_4102.JPG

Thanks all ~ I'm really looking forward to getting some paint on him smile.png

Apologist,would you be willong to give a rundown of parts for that piece of beauty?

Certainly. From the top:

Backpack – Vulkan's, plus additional bits from a backpack from the Rapier set (targeter/sensor thing plus additional vents) and a vexilla from Forge World's Mark II command set.

Torso – Ferrus Manus' with greenstuff lower abdomen.

Arms and hands – Vulkan's. The left arm has a scanner from the Volkite Calvier set. The right hand (and sword) is from the Grey Knight Terminator set, with some GS to sharpen up the detailing. Not sure about this... tempted to find a different, more distinctive sword.

Shoulder pads – Privateer Press' Vlad, from the Warmachine line. These took quite a bit of filing and ProCreate to get to fit right! The leather straps are from Vulkan, and the Ultramarine symbol is from Marneus Calgar.

Legs – Vulkan's; reposed with hot water. The scabbard is from Sevrin Loth's Honour Guard, I think. The pistol's grip is from an old Inquisitor scale weapon pack, and the body of it is from a limited edition figure from the now-defunct AT-43 line. The grenades are from FW – the holstered Phobos boltpistol pack.

Head – Vulkan's, with greenstuff hair.

Base – Ferrus Manus', with a bit of modification to fit the rubble to the reposed legs.

That's it, I think. It's worth noting that aside from Vulkan, who I won as part of a painting contest, I got most of these parts from ebay or my bits box. I imagine he'd be a pretty penny otherwise! biggrin.png

Thanks all ~ I'm really looking forward to getting some paint on him smile.png

Apologist,would you be willong to give a rundown of parts for that piece of beauty?

Certainly. From the top:

Backpack – Vulkan's, plus additional bits from a backpack from the Rapier set (targeter/sensor thing plus additional vents) and a vexilla from Forge World's Mark II command set.

Torso – Ferrus Manus' with greenstuff lower abdomen.

Arms and hands – Vulkan's. The left arm has a scanner from the Volkite Calvier set. The right hand (and sword) is from the Grey Knight Terminator set, with some GS to sharpen up the detailing. Not sure about this... tempted to find a different, more distinctive sword.

Shoulder pads – Privateer Press' Vlad, from the Warmachine line. These took quite a bit of filing and ProCreate to get to fit right! The leather straps are from Vulkan, and the Ultramarine symbol is from Marneus Calgar.

Legs – Vulkan's; reposed with hot water. The scabbard is from Sevrin Loth's Honour Guard, I think. The pistol's grip is from an old Inquisitor scale weapon pack, and the body of it is from a limited edition figure from the now-defunct AT-43 line. The grenades are from FW – the holstered Phobos boltpistol pack.

Head – Vulkan's, with greenstuff hair.

Base – Ferrus Manus', with a bit of modification to fit the rubble to the reposed legs.

That's it, I think. It's worth noting that aside from Vulkan, who I won as part of a painting contest, I got most of these parts from ebay or my bits box. I imagine he'd be a pretty penny otherwise! biggrin.png

I really appreciate that man. If you don't mind too much, I may try to make my own, though with a shield and Gladius instead...

Paint!

Painted the face, then blobbed on a base coat of blue to the armour last night. The armour will be broken up with gold and white areas, but I wanted to get some colour on to it so I can start to work out which bits to have as secondary and accent areas.

IMG_4109.JPG

IMG_4107.JPG

IMG_4104.JPG

Not entirely happy with the face, so I might play about a bit more with it; but thought half-past ten at night is no time to be making those sort of decisions. Better to sleep on it than jump in! 

If you're interested in how the face was done, there's some info on Death of a Rubricist.

I think there's a good chance that'll look better than what FW eventually put out. Whilst I have a different head-canon idea of what Guilliman's face looks like, yours is perfectly believable and works really well. I like this model more than all but 2 of the Forgeworld ones, and of those it's only behind Manus in my opinion.

Only tiny, really nitpicky bit of constructive criticism, which may be simply a case of the camera shot, is that in the first pic of Guilliman in your last post, the mkIV corpse looks like it has its neck at a really odd angle. Is it intended to look like he's had his neck snapped, or is the camera angle just making it look off?

Archived