Blood Angels and Battlescribe

tsijben

First of all let me say that this might not be the correct spot to share this, but I thought I needed to share this.

Blood Angels are my biggest love, my favourite Marine-army and the army I put most of my effort in.

That's why it was so sad that the Battlescribe-file (which is used by many) was so terribly outdated! Nobody worked on that list for over 18 months or so.

To battle this terrible injustice I decided to learn how to use Github, the catalogue editor and I spent hours and weeks to fix their outdated catalogue.

As a result we are now finally around the same level of the other Chapters.

I would like to do two things with this thread:

1. Share the file with you: http://battlescribedata.appspot.com/#/repo/wh40k

2. Ask you for your feedback! Since the randomhit-fora and Github lack a serious amount of BA-players, there is nobody to point out mistakes to me.

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread and thanks in advance for any feedback.
I have access to nearly every book and I can comply with nearly every request, tip or error.

Edit: Added the FAQ I placed on Dakkadakka here as well.

What is Battlescribe Data 40k?

BattleScribe Data 40k is one of the groups that provides datafiles for the army-builder program called BattleScribe.
We do not control the program itself, merely the data files that you use to build a list.
We have around 19 people who did a lot of work in their free time to provide you with lists that we try to keep as correct as possible!

Where can I find these files?
http://battlescribedata.appspot.com/#/repo/wh40k
The first link called 'Warhammer 40k' is a general link that will get you all the files.
Further down you can select individual armies; I suggest to take them all by clicking the first link.

Even better would be to copy the following link into the BattleScribe-data section: http://battlescribedata.appspot.com/repos/wh40k/index.bsi
Check this site to see how: http://battlescribe.net/help-overview.html

Why this thread?
As one of the authors I like to be informed when I make errors, typo's and other mistakes.
I also would like to hear it if people have suggestions and other points of improvement.
We usually get a lot of feedback, but that is mostly stuff like "The pointcost is wrong", "I can't open the file" or "You made a mistake."
The first one is very simple: We change it and it's done.
The second one is a lot harder, because our feedback is indirectly and users usually don't read our responses and tips. Which is why I made this thread.
The third one can be important when users think we've made a mistake when actually we haven't, but they don't read our response.
Another thing is that we also like to hear other feedback, suggestions, ideas and opinions.
And many people don't know where to post this feedback, but they do know where to find Dakkadakka!

"My file won't open, I get an error, it's not working!"
This is something we hear a lot, which is why I think we need a short trouble-shoot on this:
1. Make sure you are using http://battlescribedata.appspot.com/repos/wh40k/index.bsi and not some other source.
2. Try clearing all the data-files in the BS-folder and redownload them.
3. Still issues? Ask for help!

So in short: I decided that we authors need a place for direct communication and Dakkadakka is the perfect place for it since it's probably the biggest 40k-forum!
Help me help you http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/6d3c0a908a3861135dfaebde91c0ecf6.gif

I need more help with Battlescribe itself!
http://www.battlescribe.net/help-faq.html

You changed something, but I don't see it?
If we fix something, our internal files are updated.
You will only see this after each release, so you just have to wait a day or two.
But if we gave confirmation, you can be sure it was changed!

Why do some Codices get fixed faster?
I made this thread on my own initiative, so if I often have to make a new issue on the 'real' website. That's something I do when:
a) It's too complicated.
b) I don't know the Codex (which is basically every non-Marine/Necron army).
c) Senpai and Thairne aren't responding http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/6d3c0a908a3861135dfaebde91c0ecf6.gif
All of this work is done without any form of payment and in our free time, it's a hobby.

Edited by tsijben

Great work man! :thumbsup:

Librarian: No option for different force weapon 

Drop pods, various: Default selection for storm bolter would be nice

Captain tycho: has wargear that you can deselect in both normal and DC version

Dreadnought: Normal furioso selection by default would be nice. Still has that weird layout for choosing weapons, like not being able to upgrade the right arm with a flamer. A legal loadout like right arm fragcannon and left arm CCW+melta give an error message while illegal loadout like double frag cannons doesn't. I suggest removing left and right arm selections and replace them with 'talons' 'fists' 'frag cannon' and then stick the upgrades in a sub menu. 

Techmarine: Has two different (none)-options under the servo arm section

Scout squad, scout sergeant: Minor fix/suggestion, make all options checkboxes

Vindicator: Missing war gear, the vindicator comes stock with a stormbolter in addition to the demolisher cannon.

General suggestion: In all cases where a unit has default equipment, leave out the (none) checkbox similar to how the entry for the stormraven is set up.

Beneath 'Lord of War' Category there's another, blank, Primary detachment drop menu.

Edited by knife&fork

Librarian: Now has a Force Weapon with the possibility to select your own kind.

I'm not really sure how Furioso's work with their Force Weapons, can they take a stave, sword or axe?

Drop Pod: Made Stormbolter the default.

Captain Tycho: Fixed it, it's because BS changed a bit.

In the past we would give them a weapons option where his min and max was 2.
Then we entered both weapons and gave both a min and max of 1.
For some reason the latest update lets you deselect options even though their min and max is the same.

Furioso-weapons: I changed it around a bit, it's easy to select your preferred load-out and on my BS all legal combinations work.

Also created a restriction on the amount of Frag Cannons.
Sometimes I get a weird error: "Too few selections from Right Arms", but reselecting the same option again makes it go away.

Weird!

Techmarine: I renamed 'none' to Servo-arm and set it as default. We went from two "none" to zero.

Scout-sgt: Not sure, there are some debates to whether the Sgt can take two Power Fists, etc, or not. Doing it like this pleases both crowds.

Vindicator: Fix'd.

Primary Detachment: Yeah, it's to show that this is the primary detachment. When selecting multiple forces in your army this helps people to keep track and it has a maximum per army of 1. They've done this in every codex.
The new way of selecting your army is a real pain in the ass for Battlescribe catalogues.

General: I tried to do it as much as possible. For units like DC it's not really an option since the amount of weapons is dependent on the amount of bodies.
Sanguinary Guard was easy to do, they always come in 5.
But it's certainly a good idea for stuff like Chaplains and the like, most of the time you'd want a Bolt Pistol on those guys.

Thank you for the tips! Now we just have to wait till the big boss releases my changes ;)

I can't get the file form either link. The first just tells me that the file requires battlescribe 1.14, which I have, the second does not let me download the file. What Am I doing wrong?

Librarian: Now has a Force Weapon with the possibility to select your own kind.

I'm not really sure how Furioso's work with their Force Weapons, can they take a stave, sword or axe?

Drop Pod: Made Stormbolter the default.

Captain Tycho: Fixed it, it's because BS changed a bit.

In the past we would give them a weapons option where his min and max was 2.

Then we entered both weapons and gave both a min and max of 1.

For some reason the latest update lets you deselect options even though their min and max is the same.

Furioso-weapons: I changed it around a bit, it's easy to select your preferred load-out and on my BS all legal combinations work.

Also created a restriction on the amount of Frag Cannons.

Sometimes I get a weird error: "Too few selections from Right Arms", but reselecting the same option again makes it go away.

Weird!

Techmarine: I renamed 'none' to Servo-arm and set it as default. We went from two "none" to zero.

Scout-sgt: Not sure, there are some debates to whether the Sgt can take two Power Fists, etc, or not. Doing it like this pleases both crowds.

Vindicator: Fix'd.

Primary Detachment: Yeah, it's to show that this is the primary detachment. When selecting multiple forces in your army this helps people to keep track and it has a maximum per army of 1. They've done this in every codex.

The new way of selecting your army is a real pain in the ass for Battlescribe catalogues.

General: I tried to do it as much as possible. For units like DC it's not really an option since the amount of weapons is dependent on the amount of bodies.

Sanguinary Guard was easy to do, they always come in 5.

But it's certainly a good idea for stuff like Chaplains and the like, most of the time you'd want a Bolt Pistol on those guys.

Thank you for the tips! Now we just have to wait till the big boss releases my changes :wink:

Furioso librarian can -technically- take any of the 3 force weapon varieties as they're listed in the codex as possessing a force weapon, and this isn't changed in the FAQ, but the only official model uses a halberd, which the rulebook tells us to use as a Force Axe. If it's comprehensive then you should make all 3 options available, but 99% of players will be using the Force Axe.

I always say the furioso librarian as having an "unusual" force weapon, which in 6th edition was the same as a sword (S: user and AP3). If you count it as a force axe does he strike at initiative 1 for unwieldy?

You may want to read the Unwieldy special rule again. Such weapons are not I1 for monstrous creatures and walkers. So S7 AP 2 at initiative and the Force special rule. Edited by Quixus

Nope :) And that's why the axe is best IMHO. Well if blood fists are anything to go by, dreadnoughts are strong enough to ignore the effects of unwieldy. Have played locally with the axe and nobody disputed this.

edit: Quixus just beat me to it :p

Edited by Shaezus

True, I guess it's not needed to add the other weapons.

One more thing: I have access to nearly every FW-book thanks to my friends.

So I can take requests if people want/need FW-models to be added.
All I'd need is a reference to the latest book and/or FAQ.

I can't get the file form either link. The first just tells me that the file requires battlescribe 1.14, which I have, the second does not let me download the file. What Am I doing wrong?

I have no idea.

My advice would be to clear the current files, add the .bsi to your date and let it auto-update.

But auto-update doesn't have the latest changes.

True, I guess it's not needed to add the other weapons.

One more thing: I have access to nearly every FW-book thanks to my friends.

So I can take requests if people want/need FW-models to be added.

All I'd need is a reference to the latest book and/or FAQ.

Unfortunately I'm not sure where the rules for the following can be found, maybe someone can help? Pretty sure at least a couple of them have free PDFs on the FW store page but they might not be the most up to date versions.

Damocles command Rhino

Tarantula weapon platforms

Scorpius whirlwind

Sicaran Battletank

Contemptor dreadnoughts

If I recall right, latest rules for all of those - not sure about the contemptor though - are in IA2 2nd edition. Watch out when googling for pdfs, I think they tend to be from the 'old' IA2. Naughty copies of IA2 2nd ed are helpfully...I mean, dubiously available online. Mine are totally legitimate of course.

If they aint in there, try Horus Heresy II: Massacre

I have no idea.

My advice would be to clear the current files, add the .bsi to your date and let it auto-update.

But auto-update doesn't have the latest changes.

I know how the updater in battlescribe works. Got a .BSI from here. Unfortunately neither of the links above (http://battlescribedata.appspot.com/#/repo/wh40k, https://github.com/BSData/wh40k) have URLs of .BSI files, at least I cannot find them. can you post an URL? Edited by Quixus

Sure, you can use this: http://battlescribedata.appspot.com/repos/wh40k/index.bsi

Unfortunately I'm not sure where the rules for the following can be found, maybe someone can help? Pretty sure at least a couple of them have free PDFs on the FW store page but they might not be the most up to date versions.

Damocles command Rhino

Scorpius whirlwind

Sicaran Battletank

Contemptor dreadnoughts

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index#Space_Marines

According to that page it's all IA2 except for the BA which is in Apoc 3rd.

My next project will include these five units ánd I'm thinking about adding Legacies of Glory.

Edit: Dread and Rhino added :) Would like to hear feedback on it.
Time for bed now.

Edited by tsijben

You shouldn't need to do anything special to get it on your phone.
What seems to be the issue? You can just use the .bsi-link in your manage menu on the phone.

But my preference is this:
Install it on pc.
Link pc to the automatic update.
Link both pc and phone to Dropbox.

You shouldn't need to do anything special to get it on your phone.

What seems to be the issue? You can just use the .bsi-link in your manage menu on the phone.

But my preference is this:

Install it on pc.

Link pc to the automatic update.

Link both pc and phone to Dropbox.

Thankyou, id just not done one for Android before - I like to research before anything data ;)

Fixed the typo ;)

Also:
Damocles command Rhino
Scorpius whirlwind
Sicaran Battletank
Contemptor dreadnoughts

They are now added and I flirted with the Relic of the Armoury-rule for future cases.
This is why the "primary detachment" is so important, because a non-primary can only take a Relic when they have a Reclusiarch.

Now we need to wait for it to be pushed live.
Or you can download the zip-file from https://github.com/BSData/wh40k

That link shows you what we have done since the latest release.

Question:

Perhaps it's possible to make an entry named "Forge World" that will show all the FW-units when selected.

Without that selection, they would be hidden.

Seeing as in the future we'll have around 25 FW-units, how would you feel about such a thing?

That would mean that players without FW don't have to spit through a couple of dozen units they can't use.

I already asked the Github-members, but I am also curious to your opinion.