Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2,000 Points Armor Core Assault

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

PaladinsSanguine

PaladinsSanguine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts

HQ:

Reclusiarch 130pts

Elites

Furioso Dreadnought (Duel-Blood fists) 125pts

Sanguinary Priest squad 160pts: Sanguinary priest Jump pack, Meltabombs 80pts. Sanguinary priest Jump pack, Meltabombs 80pts.

Terminator Assault Squad: (5man) (5) Thunderhammers 225pts. Dedicated transport Land Raider Multi-melta 260pts

Troops:

Assault Squad (10man) (2) Meltaguns, Sgt Meltabombs 215pts

Assault Squad (10man) (2) Meltaguns, Sgt Meltabombs 215pts

Death Company (10man) 200 pts

Heavy Support:

Predator (Autocannon) sponson Lascannons 135pts

Predator (Autocannon) sponson Lascannons 135pts

Stormraven Gunship (Twin Linked Lascannon, Multi-melta) 200pts

Land Raider of course holds the Terminator Assault Squad. Stormraven carries Death-company, Reclusiarch, and Furioso Dreadnought. Sang Priest with the Assault squads, which those squads go behind my land Raider and Predators as they move up the field.

Trying to build an aggressive Blood Angels list for a challenge coming up in January, any input or advice is appreciate. Thank you for your time.

They approached towards the planet upon wings of fire that engulfed the sky in this free fall -

armor shaking and trembling as they seem to only hasten further their Descent from the heavens face first -

It was mere seconds now; the end of this leap was inevitable to them -

This jump would easily end with but a splatter of their corpses to the mettle streets -

Within an instant, they shift their bodies and thrust themselves upward -

Their descent swiftly haltered, hitting the ground with what sounded like thunder on the metal cobbled streets, echoing through the city-scape -

The Angels of Death had arrived. And their message was clear.

Shaezus

Shaezus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 989 posts
It depends what you're up against but loading up a raven like that ends in tears as often as not. That's not just my own experience either. With intercept or twin-linked S7+, there's plenty out there and all it takes is that high penetration roll or three glances and there's 655 points of stuff gone in a flash. It's a brilliant concept, but the stormraven air assault either blazes in style or crashes and burns. At 2k points personally I would find another way, or add a second raven to split the cargo.

What role do you see for your death company? Bear in mind once they've hit the ground they will be high priority for your oppo. If you want them just to distract, disrupt and just tarpit big things then that's fine but be careful with your warlord. A thunder hammer and power axe will make all the difference if you want them to take down MCs.

Think Donald Sutherland sitting atop a Land Raider Redeemer, speakers blaring out 'Singing in the rain' to the accompaniment of falling drop pods...

The difference between us and the Dark Angels? We defeated our demons. 

BA.jpg   20.jpg

PaladinsSanguine

PaladinsSanguine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts

To answer the first thing: it's closed lists- I wont know what my opponent is running- vice-verse. So trying to make a well rounded list as possible for all comers.

Next I wanted to bear bones for Anti-air units, since for as Blood Angels go the only thing with Skyfire is a Stormraven. Seem silly to just have it fly empty- pay 200 points for a flyer transport I may as well use it (They're not bad, I just intend on running heavy ground as much as I can.) , otherwise kinda wasting points as a whole. Ideally that Stormraven only needs to live one turn of shooting- which-- easier said.. But if there's air units I'll have it do what it can.

Far as Death-company, they're a flash squad. 10 are just about the same price as an assault squad base, and I need to buy a Stormraven anyways. can jump into a big pack of orks and rip it a part (50 attacks, re-roll hit and wounds at str 5.), the Dread will be there to either take any over-watch shots from whomever my Death Company will assault, or go head to head with armored units or just bigger badder things than the D-company can go at without suiciding.

Ideally as you remarked last, the Furioso will cover the D-company for any big armor, while splitting their point cost so it's not one one big squad filled to the brim with points- ready to explode like pinatas points for my opponent.

Edited by PaladinsSanguine, 20 July 2014 - 06:54 PM.

They approached towards the planet upon wings of fire that engulfed the sky in this free fall -

armor shaking and trembling as they seem to only hasten further their Descent from the heavens face first -

This jump would easily end with but a splatter of their corpses to the mettle streets -

Their descent swiftly haltered, hitting the ground with what sounded like thunder on the metal cobbled streets, echoing through the city-scape -

Shaezus

Shaezus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 989 posts
Sounds good, and I know you'll have fun!

If you're wanting heavy on the ground, maybe worth switching the raven for an aegis line with quad auto, gives you another 125 pts to play with and maybe drop a priest - their value has been over the odds since the nerf to FNP and FC - then you can fit in some more heavy stuff plus maybe transport / pods for DC and furioso.

Just throwing ideas out there; it's all about personal preference so I'm not saying do what I say at all, but I've found that positive changes can come from the most irrelevant-looking suggestions. Good luck in any case, you've got time to practice and tweak.

What else do you have in your collection that isn't in the list but could be?

Think Donald Sutherland sitting atop a Land Raider Redeemer, speakers blaring out 'Singing in the rain' to the accompaniment of falling drop pods...

BA.jpg   20.jpg

PaladinsSanguine

PaladinsSanguine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts

There's the tricky part- I thought of running a Aegis line, but I really want all my points to emphasis moving up and being in Assault or assisting that. Drop Pods make me Leary cause that's one turn I come in and I have to wait for their army to shoot (or worse assault me)..

Stormraven has anti-air options and carries an intimidating force- frankly because they assault right when they come out of that baby.

That's my real big thing with running that- course I could easily drop it and Icuras Lascannon or Quad-gun as you said and Drop pod, even maybe get another Assault squad or Tank in. but as you said I suppose it's preference- I do need to weigh that into consideration.

And Sang Priests FnP did get nerfed there, yeah.. Still nice- but I guess it's a debate: is 150 points worth a full buffed assault army with FnP and FC. /shrug. They're basically the cost of another Assault Squad.. So it's hard when it's not +4 now.

And to answer lastly.. I only have a single box at the moment- save ya' the soap Oprah, lost my army. Re-building as of right now. So not really limited to what I could collect.

Though as a side question, since you're a person looking from outside the window- what do you think are my armies flaws here? Really trying to hammer out a thorough list.

Highest set Priority is a tie between Assault and Anti-armor weapons, then small arms fire is represented little. Again trying to run to be able to take all comers- at the moment I'm concerned with Nids. A massing army with monstrous creatures to boot.

Since the lists will be closed, I can't change blood-fists to talons or grab flamers all the sudden. Gonna be nasty if my opponent decides to bring them (and he does have them..).

Edited by PaladinsSanguine, 20 July 2014 - 08:11 PM.

Shaezus

Shaezus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 989 posts
You've picked up on the flaws yourself: all AT, no anti-horde.

Just what I would do: Put flamers instead of melta in one squad. Ditch one of the priests and 5 of the death company. Swap the phobos raider (I assume its this pattern) for a redeemer. Get another furioso and fit both with frag cannons, magnagrapple too if possible and put them in pods. Try to get a third pod for something.

Nids really hate templates and the frag cannon is the best in the game. Luckily the fragioso is also a mean AT tool with magna and melta. Your termies will deal with MCs but right now at 2k points I think the list needs a bit more bulk and templates to deal with all comers

BA.jpg   20.jpg

Remtek

Remtek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 821 posts

Swapping DC and terminator transport is something to consider.  I have never fielded termies, but if you get shot down it would be less devestating having them in there. 

I also prefer a DC dread if in a Stormraven due to 6 attacks on the charge. Throw a heavy flamer on him, once the Raven goes to hover you got 1 melta from raven 1 from dread and 6 str 10 attacks on the charge. Heavy flamer is cheap and will enable you to assault blobs as well, dont really need to have talons with the dc dread. It's also objective secured so it gives you alot of options.

FlamestormCannon on a Redeemer is pretty sweet if you plan to cross midfield as soon as possible, but Crusader is also strong. 

In regards to sanguinary priests, yeah they are quite expensive. One thing to consider is throwing one without JP in the Land Raider as it gives you a much larger FNP bubble (it's measured from all parts of the hull) That is if you plan to run jumpers behind the Land Raider or something like that. 

PaladinsSanguine

PaladinsSanguine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts
I'd only hope I can make one priest reach my whole army (but frankly if I move him just right, it save me a lot of points to simply give my army FnP/FC from one model instead two.) Debative of dropping the 5 d-company- lose some army bulk doing this (which I'll ask more on that question in a bit). Fragioso and Redeemer seems effective to fill gaps I have. But to keep Warforged I'd either have to drop my A term squad or my Priest squad (which I'm debating with the now only 5+ on fnP and FC. Curious if it's worth it at bare bones needs 75pts a priest..) to get a second Fragioso. Though Why 3 drop pods? Odds numbers don't work for half the pods coming in (i.e 2 brings 1 in first turn, then 4 2 first turn). But I'm bit hazy what Drop Pods ruling for Reserve/Deep strike 7th ed are since half just come in first turn (don't know if it's based off just Drop pods or your reserves as a total). Finally I agree, templates will do some good for the masses, ideally right now I have a good range of anti-armor. But define the list needing a bit more "bulk"? Like more marines to my list?

PaladinsSanguine

PaladinsSanguine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts
@ Remtek. Yeah, makes the Sang priest even cheaper- think that's my best call. A decent price to give my army FnP and Fc for just 50 pts. Feels less dragging. And I decided to do a dc Dread in the Stormraven now since my one Fuioso is gonna go fragioso. Makes good sense I figure. And Flamestorm cannons will give my front line a great anti-mass weapon. Even wipe any marine bold enough to stand in front of it to the floor.

Shaezus

Shaezus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 989 posts
You only count drop pods for calculating drop pod assault. It's half of the total rounded up, for turn 1. So to drop two on turn one if you want to, you need a third pod.

By 'bulk' I was actually thinking of dreadnoughts, you have enough marines I think and you can combat-squad them too. Just that hordes hate big tough killy things and templates, so how about a big tough killy thing with a lethal template weapon? :)

BA.jpg   20.jpg

PaladinsSanguine

PaladinsSanguine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts
@Shaezus. W-w-w-woaaah.. so you only need 3 pods to let 2 come in? That's-- Hmm.. So if you have one Pod-- does that mean it comes in first turn? Or do you need 2 for that?

And far as the big things note. I wanna keep Warforged, so just running one Fragioso. But, running a 2nd Dread through Death-company on the Stormraven now. Fragioso, of course, will come by pod.

Edited by PaladinsSanguine, 21 July 2014 - 08:20 PM.

Remtek

Remtek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 821 posts

If only one pod, it comes in round 1, rule is half of your pods come in rounded up. So you want 1 or 3 or 5 or 7 etc.  Round 2 you make reserve rolls as normal (3+)

Disclaimer on priest: If your land raider get popped early your  fnp bubble gets alot worse then having it on the JP. Something to take note off. But if your lacking a few points for key upgrades it's worthwile to consider. 

Also if you have spare points after everything is done, a powerfist on reclusiarch can also be nice (only a 15point upgrade). The AP4 can be frustrating since it's a maul. It will give your unit some str 10 attacks aswell. For challenges you can choose to either fight with Maul at init 5 (great for orks or similar) or the fist fighting vs 2+ 3+ armor saves. The fist can also insta kill alot off on the charge.

Edited by Remtek, 21 July 2014 - 08:53 PM.

Shaezus

Shaezus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 989 posts
Aye if you have a single pod it will auto drop on turn 1. Careful with this though, it gives away first blood easily.

What do you mean by 'war-forged'? In 7th ed rules battleforged simply means sticking to the old FOC i.e. 2 HQ 2-6 troops 3 each of elites heavy support and fast attack.

BA.jpg   20.jpg

PaladinsSanguine

PaladinsSanguine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts
@Remtek Thanks, mate. Perfect.

Now, if nothing else, here is the revisioned list:

Blood Angels, 2,000 points.

HQ:
Reclusiarch 130pts

Elites:
Furioso Dreadnought (Frag Cannon, Blood Fist) Magna Grapple 140pts Dedicated transport: Drop pod Deathwind Missle Launcher 55pts
Terminator Assault squad (5man) (5) Thunder Hammers/Stormshields 225pts Dedicated Transport: Land Raider Redeemer 240pts
Sanguinary Priest (squad): Sanguinary Priest 50pts

Troops:
Assault Squad (10man) (2) Meltaguns, sgt Meltabombs 215pts
Assault Squad (10man) (2) Flamers 200pts
Death Company (7man) (Bolt-pistol/close Combat Weapon) 140pts
Death Company Dreadnought (Duel Blood-fists) heavy Flamer 135pts

heavy Support:
Predator (Autocannon) Sponson Lascannons 135pts
Predator (Autocannon) Sponson Lascannons 135pts
Stormraven Gunship 200pts

@Shaezus That's what I meant, so i get the objective secure perks.

Edited by PaladinsSanguine, 21 July 2014 - 09:00 PM.

Remtek

Remtek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 821 posts

Post some batreps when your done!

PaladinsSanguine

PaladinsSanguine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts
I think Sanginius would be proud. Any further suggestion to the newer list?

@Remtek. Sadly I'm still re-building my army.. But if this isn't too buried by say-- Winter. I will give an update here.

Edited by PaladinsSanguine, 21 July 2014 - 09:11 PM.

Dravoth

Dravoth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts

Personally, I'd say get rid of those Terminators. Best case scenario, they'll get into combat with a tank or MC and they'll stomp it but probably won't make their point cost back when you factor in their land raider. A far more likely scenario is that they'll get tarpitted by a far cheaper unit and stay there for the rest of the game in a complete waste of nearly 500 points (when you factor in the Land Raider) I'd also ditch the Death Company and Death Company Dread for similar reasons and as you're not taking Death Company anymore, swap the Reclusiarch out for a Librarian (or two).

Now you should consider taking squads of tacticals to camp objectives with sanguinary priests for FNP - that's what your army is really missing and is what will win and lose you games in seventh edition. Camp objectives with tough, shooty units and let your opponent come to you. Another reason to take tactical squads with rhinos/razorbacks is to give your assault marines something to hide behind as you move up the board. Right now, they're going to risk getting shot to pieces. Also, rhinos/razorbacks are scoring units and are incredibly strong in seventh edition for this reason as well as being much harder to instantly pop.

The Stormraven is okay, just be careful what you put inside it. Rather than loading it with a Deathstar, I'd consider putting a tactical squad inside that can be dropped deep in your opponent's side of the board to take objectives (Again, with a Sanguinary priest for FNP) and pop the Furiouso along with it to help them defend whatever objective they take. Just be careful about loading too much into it because it will be public enemy number one and it will take a lot of fire.

Also, I'd probably take devastator squads instead of the predators and have Sanguinary Priests give them FNP - this makes them very very safe. Personally, I feel they're more safe than the Predators would be and a lot more versatile.

The mistakes you've made with the list are the same ones most Blood Angels players make and the same one most 40k players make. Troop choices win games. They aren't exciting and they aren't interesting but they win games. And I mean big time. Blood Angel tactical squads have access to Feel No Pain. This makes them the best Tactical Squads when it comes to sitting on objectives. Have some combat squads with heavy weapons sat on whatever objectives are on your side of the board and have their other-halves with assault weapons in transports taking and camping neutral objectives. Use your assault marines - and I'd advise putting at least one flamer in every Assault Marine squad - to assault enemy objectives and drag them out of their control. Make sure you have enough troop choices to do this before you think about taking big expensive Death Star units in Land Raiders.

Focusing on troops isn't galmourous and the temptation is always there to take the more interesting and expensive units but playing safe and playing the objective camping game is what 40k is all about right now.

Shaezus

Shaezus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 989 posts
Would agree with you about troops in 7th ed if it weren't for he fact that everything (barring DC of course) is scoring. So the tactical importance of getting troops in the right place right time has lessened. I say this in spite of super-scoring, because that means nothing if some tough and strong elite or heavy support unit can march up, swat your troops aside AND claim your objective. Hence IMHO termies are more attractive now.

BA.jpg   20.jpg

Dravoth

Dravoth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts

Everything is scoring, yes, but in the case of contested objectives, troops will always win. If you can keep enough troops alive to the end of the game that are sat on objectives, you will win. I think the tactical important of getting troops into the right place has increased exponentially in this edition due to everything being scoring. The game isn't about killing your enemy, it's about taking objectives and holding those objectives. Troops do that better than anything else. Yes, it's boring but if you want to win, this is the way to go about it.

I think Terminators are pretty poor right now. Assault Terminators are more viable, sure, but it's a huge investment for a small unit that can't contest objectives against troops and has a very small number of attacks that will be tarpitted without being able to do anything at best and, at worst, be overwhelmed by mass infantry shooting. In a shooty meta that favours massive numbers of dice over anything else, a 2+/3++ doesn't make you invincible and in melee combat, you just don't have enough dice to seriously compete with many enemies unless you manage to connect to a Monstrous Creature or something similar but your enemy is very unlikely to let his MC get into combat with a unit designed to kill it so it's not really likely that they'll get much done. It's been a long time since I saw terminators do much more than lock up other terminator squads for entire games, get shot to pieces or get tarpitted by a dirt cheap horde and eventually be overwhelmed.

Shaezus

Shaezus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 989 posts
It all depend on the meta. So in an unknown environment there will be something for termies to kill as often as not. I would not take them if I knew I would be playing against a horde only army, but I don't have the luxury of that knowlege. Other non-troop things kill horde troops very easily. Just last weekend I forced a horde player to concede after my first turn, with my list that has only three 5-man squads besides ten death company and two DC dreads as troops. Have you seen the mess frag cannons make of hordes? In any case the player who uses termies has the means to deliver them where he wants them. But without digressing into a tangental 'paper-scissors-stone' discussion, just my personal opinion is that as the value of troops for scoring has increased, so has the value of things that can kill them, because these things can score too now. It's simply a matter of personal style; there is no one single way which works.

BA.jpg   20.jpg

Remtek

Remtek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 821 posts

What i like about 7th is alot of things work. If you spam objective secured units you will have issues in kill point games though. Meta does seem to be less troops which gives the option of doing the same or taking alot of them going for objectives. 

I agree that termies are not ideal, but a perfectly viable option, you can always buy a 5man asm with a land raider deploy it empty and embark termies on turn one. That way you get an objective secured raider with termies. 

As for the Predators i think 5 ML devs with a lasplas Razorback for 220 gives more value, hard to say though as the Preds usually survive quite long while being able to zip 24" and grab a free objective in turn 5. 

PaladinsSanguine

PaladinsSanguine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts

@Dravoth and Remtek. You make well valid points (though I will say @Remtek it needs to be noted that -any- unit in your army get objective secure when Battle-forged, so there's no need for me to swap out the an Assault squad in a Land Raider with a Terminator Assault squad to capture objectives) , but let me add some things to remark to all of this.

For one: Feel no pain is not as strong as it was- 5+ (you're paying for a priest which points intend it to give a 4+ invule.), they're pricy, 50 pts each. But could be viable for a full tact squad army, I haven't seen it before.

Second, and more important to remark: everything in this list follows and works together toward one ideal and large goal; Assault. I don't need to hold every objective (but frankly, a drop pod, a Stormraven, and 20 Jump marines can make that easy), I plan to easily close to gap quickly.

It's a Assault Armor Core Blood Angels army at it's finest (least I believe so, all this list stuff is really opinion based).

Dev squads could be nice, Tact squads have good uses- but everything in the army is made to head towards the enemy and be involved with an Assault mentality in the most formidable way as possible, so it is Assault marines and the Predators are so ideal.

Can other armies do it better? Or is there a better Blood Angels list out there? I imagine, but this is pretty fing solid- I've put months into it, and I'm happy I've found a nice balance for all comers.

Third, and last to note, Terminator Assault Squads: I view them like most any models- it serves a purpose. If I assault when a Devastator squad, and play shooting with an Assault squad- I might find poor results.. My 20 Assault marines and nearly 10 Death company cover most common Assault, but if they even look at a Monstrous creature they'll explode on the spot.

And someone's gotta fight that Chaos Lord. They're not meant to be out in the open, they're not meant to shoot- they're the highest pinnacle of Assault with the worst of the worst.

Much past that-- list making I say take advice, but take with a whee bit of a grain of salt- since all models are viewed with varied opinions- let alone army lists. In the end I'll have to see how this runs.

I'll keep this post updated with battle reports when I start.

Edited by PaladinsSanguine, 24 July 2014 - 04:11 AM.

Remtek

Remtek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 821 posts
Battle-Forged make everything scoring, but objective secured is reserved for troops and dedicated transports taken by troops. So if your land raider is purched by a troop choice it will out-contest a normal scoring unit on an objective. For BA this means:

Death Company Dread is now objective secured.
Death Company cannot score at all due to rage, but the transport is objective secured.
Any transport taken by your other troops are objective secured even if you split your unit from the transport.

Yeah. Every group has a different meta, so opionions are more often than not subjective. Our group run's alot of plasma, so imo the 5+ fnp is much better than the old one. Bringing a good mix of units makes for a more fun and dynamic game as well.

I like the idea of no backfield units. A good example would be footslogging furiosos, even though they are not doing anything while crossing the table, once they get there they do more in the rounds that are left. And if they get shot while crossing they are cheap enough to be sponges compared to other more expensive units.

PaladinsSanguine

PaladinsSanguine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts
@Remtek A fair point- but doing that will cost an Assault squad it's Jump Packs.. Just as well I'll have the Raider standard capping- things mounted with flamers anywho- so I welcome anyone getting near it. But yeah- everything pretty well earns it's keep. Kill a squad, got another ready to come at you.

PaladinsSanguine

PaladinsSanguine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts
Army Update: within August I'll have about 1360/2000 points of my list in-hand. Ideally up and running by Late September/ early October.