Damnation of Pythos...initial thoughts

Just finished it and it felt like it had no resonance with the Heresy so far, could've...scratch that...should've been a SM battle series novel tying into the recent Pandorax storyline. Apart from a couple of mentions of Isstvan, skirmish with EC or the serfs are beginning to learn of the Lectico Divinatus (sp), then it could be a Iron Hands 40k story.

Still too recent to give a fairer or in depth review but to me, there is nothing I read in it that gave the same sense of discovery or reveal that we've experienced in other publications in the series, no real bond with any of the characters fates...just feel so flat.

Don't get me wrong, it's an ok read...maybe there's been storylines from audio that I've not heard that tie into this...but yeah, for me, could do without the HH stamp 

Haven't read it yet but I think this might be the first HH novel in a while where I wait for the cheaper version rather than paying out for the hardback.

A lot of people have said it's a good read and that it's really well written, but a novel this far into the series having absolutely nothing to do with the overall plotline or advancement, not even tying into one of the many minor plot threads that are already travelling through the series. Nah. Don't see the point in it really.

i'm only like a fifth of the way through it, but I agree in that it seems too detached feom the main story. It aldo hurts in thay it just focuses on one group of shattered legionaires. I think a short story anthology would explore the shattered legions better

It was supposed to help shed some light on the shattered Legions, or something like that. Guess that wasn't the case.

Here's what I'm guessing he plot is:

Tough guy Iron Hand: "You're a coward, mehtal is DA best"

Sneaky Mksneakerson Raven Gaurd: "You're a tool you dumb crazy Iron Hand!"

Plot dawdles along...they have a fight or two and realize they need each other to survive.

IH: "You're not that bad, let's be friends!"

RG: "Thanks for the bionic replacement for my (insert missing body part)! Maybe we can be friends after all :) "

Did I save anyone $45?

When's the next book by Sanders, Wraight, ADB, or Abnett out?

It was supposed to help shed some light on the shattered Legions, or something like that. Guess that wasn't the case.

Plot dawdles along...they have a fight or two and realize they need each other to survive.

RG: "Thanks for the bionic replacement for my (insert missing body part)! Maybe we can be friends after all :) "

Did I save anyone $45?

You forgot the salamander

Salamander- somebody think of the children

Well, this bit from an online summary intrigues me:

Iron Hand Serf # 1:

We must worship the Emperor!

IH Serf # 2:

But he said not to worship him!

#1:

No, it's a test! I read all about it in this book.

#2:

Where did you get that?

#1:

The Word Bearers gave it to me.

#2:

ARE YOU INSANE????!!!

Iron Hand Serf # 1:

IH Serf # 2:

#1:

#2:

Where did you get that?

#1:

#2:

ARE YOU INSANE????!!!

"Yeah, get this part...aghd smarr"

*turns into spawn and eats #2*

"....."

Tzeentch:

"Just as planned..."

Iron Hand Serf # 1:

IH Serf # 2:

#1:

#2:

Where did you get that?

#1:

#2:

ARE YOU INSANE????!!!

"Yeah, get this part...aghd smarr"

*turns into spawn and eats #2*

"....."

Tzeentch:

"Just as planned..."

Meanwhile dinosaurs are having a monster mash with lizards robotic automatons & suicidal birds

Did I save anyone $45?

You forgot the salamander

Salamander- somebody think of the children

He tried hugging that big dinosaur on the cover as he thought be a lizard marine would make them friends. He subsequently gets eaten.

it cant be any worse then Furious Abyss, Deliverance Lost, or anything else not written by Wraight, ADB or Abnett.

But it's not on the same level as nemesis nothings that bad

WLK

Fixed that for you msn-wink.gif

Further corrected.

WLK

And a little fine tuning

I can't wait to get my copy. Veritas Ferrum is one of the very best BL audios, and I've been impatiently waiting to find out what happens to Atticus and crew after the warp jump. 

As far as not advancing the main plot, that's fine with me. Some of my favorite moments in the Heresy are the little side-stories that don't have much to do with the larger story. The big, game-changing, set piece books have been some the least exciting for me, so I'm all for taking little detours. Especially after the last few HH books, which have been all about advancing the main story, often at the cost of fun. 

I have no problems with not advancing the story. The Heresy lasted what, 7 years? Thats alot of ground to cover and I welcome them doing so.

What I have a problem with is books like Deliverance Lost, a book that crapped on the RG by making us look like buffoons and re-writing (in a bad way) the more interesting parts of the RG's Heresy history.

Having the AL both spare us and then troll us was unforgivable.

WLK

RG: "Thanks for the bionic replacement for my (insert missing body part)! Maybe we can be friends after all smile.png "

Did I save anyone $45?

That's a pretty unfair assesment of the book, especially given you havent read it. The problem is that it doesnt advance the story, it is well written however

I picked up a copy at the May weekender and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It certainly provides some insight into shattered legion dynamics and I didn't find is as hackneyed as suggested (although I did enjoy the comic exchanges here :) )

As to advancing the story, that depends on what you mean. If you want every book to follow a central, linear narrative, then no. However, BL stated that they wanted to avoid this approach back at the weekender. What you have here is a piece that is a side story that contributes to the greater whole. It follows on from Veritas Ferrum and interacts with a short story in Sedition's Gate. Which One you read first will have an impact on how you approach the second, but you can do it either way round ;)

With this and "the traveller" annandale seems to be the resident HH horror writer

RG: "Thanks for the bionic replacement for my (insert missing body part)! Maybe we can be friends after all smile.png "

Did I save anyone $45?

Something like that, only everybody dies at the end.

It certainly is the most grimdark ending to a horus heresy book yet.

I picked up a copy at the May weekender and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It certainly provides some insight into shattered legion dynamics and I didn't find is as hackneyed as suggested (although I did enjoy the comic exchanges here :) )

As to advancing the story, that depends on what you mean. If you want every book to follow a central, linear narrative, then no. However, BL stated that they wanted to avoid this approach back at the weekender. What you have here is a piece that is a side story that contributes to the greater whole. It follows on from Veritas Ferrum and interacts with a short story in Sedition's Gate. Which One you read first will have an impact on how you approach the second, but you can do it either way round ;)

Okay so it is more like the short stories in Mark of Calth or Aurelian. Fully, Heresy-contained story.

I actually want to see more of those considering the Heresy is a war that lasts seven years across the entire galaxy. There's a lot of room to fill. I mean, just look at all the things that have come out of Calth. And that's just one world, despite McNeill's efforts to make it only a year long.

I read this book a few weeks back, having picked it up on holiday... I found the first third quite entertaining. I enjoyed my Iron Hands kicking ass, and a little development of human characters living with them. As the story progressed though I just got more and more frustrated and found it difficult to finish.

I summarised it to a friend:

Iron Hands are mean sad.png!

Salamanders are nice smile.png!

Iron Hands are still mean sad.png. Except this one smile.png.

..but if you all work together, you can really screw things up!

(Also there may have been some Raven Guard?)

With this and "the traveller" annandale seems to be the resident HH horror writer

Did I save anyone $45?

Good god, spoilers man!

Did I save anyone $45?

Good god, spoilers man!

Sorry.

I'll try not to spoil anything else.

Archived