Elyrian Lions - Index Astartes

Welcome to my Chapter Creation thread.
Over time I will be posting narrative fluff, graphic art and pics of minis, as well as a whole IA style summary.
For now, here's a narrative teaser of things to come. I hope You'll like it and will follow me on my way. C&C welcome smile.png
Enjoy smile.png

Darius ran. He ran so fast he could barely feel his feet touching the ground... But at the same time, the noise of his heartbeat and blood rushing through his veins was deafening. Running through the forest's thick undergrowth he jumped over fallen logs and pushed away low hanging branches that were clawing at his face and clothing. Darius was running with all his might..... he was running from death.
The death of a thousand claws and fangs. Gaping maws and scythe-like talons. Everywhere he looked, he could feel it. Surrounding him, chasing after him. Logic told him that there was nowhere to run, but instinct told him not to stop.
Doom has come to his world.
Doom for all living things on his planet.
The Hive fleet has descended from the skies.

Darius saw the cracked hull of a destroyed Chimera APC stuck in the thick bushes in front of him. The thick steel plates of it's armor carrying the promise of safety. Yes. YES! he would hide inside and they wouldn't find him. He would hide and wait until it was all over. Just a few more steps. He would be safe.
His hand was almost at the rear hatch of the vehicle when he tripped on an overgrown branch and slammed into a moss covered rock.
He tried to get up, but that's when he heard them. They were right behind him. The man turned on his back and saw a group of clawed beasts, half a dozen or so, coming into the small clearing. Their front limbs ended in meter long talons. Mandibles filled with teeth long and thick as a man's finger snapped opened and closed with a cracking sound. Right behind these monsters another beast strode into view. This one was twice the height of a man with even bigger talons coming out of its upper pair of limbs, while the second, lower pair, resembled some form of organic gun.
The moment the creatures fixed their eyes on Darius, he knew he was dead. There would be no escape. No safety. No tomorrow.
As one the beasts rushed for him

The terrified man couldn't even turn his eyes from them, his body frozen stiff with fear.
Suddenly he heard a whizzing sound. The monsters must have heard it too because they stopped and turned their heads to the east. At that same moment a storm of smoking projectiles hit them exploding in bright flashes and a ground shaking boom.
Blinded and half deaf Darius saw his surroundings through a white fog. He wasn't sure if he was alive or dead, so the scene in front of him looked entirely surreal.
Right after the strange missiles exploded all around his assailants a weird anti-grav vehicle burst through the tree tops. A jet of fire covered the smaller beasts as it skidded to a halt, and five armored figures covered in some kind of camo pattern jumped out. Armed with blades as long as his arm, the newcomers landed on and around the leader-beast and proceed to butcher it until the only thing left of it was a pile of mangled flesh and gore.
His senses returning, Darius heard one of the men talking to somebody through an earpiece. The only words he heard were:

„Approach vector cleared. Single civilian survivor secured..... Yes my lord.”

As soon as he finished talking, the warrior walked up to him sheathing his power blade.

„Identify yourself citizen” he said, his voice distorted through the vox of a metal mask covering the lower part of his face.

The man was way taller and way more massive than Darius. An intimidating aura resonating from his every move. It took a while for the trembling civilian to calm his voice and answer.

„My....My name is Darius Tavin. I'm a mechanic at...at the nearby hydro farm”. The words barely making their way out of his dry throat. „Who....Who are you... my lord?”

„I'm sergeant Arlon of the Elyrian Lions. We have come to...”

„Brother Sergeant!” One of the warriors shouted. „Scanner contact. Approach vector 5-7. It's big.”

Before another word could be said, something huge crashed through the trees on the other side of the clearing. It was the stuff nightmares are made of. The bulk of the monster was bigger than a Leman Russ tank. Chitin-like plates more than a foot thick covered its entire body. It let out a bellowing roar and charged, swinging its four „arms” around. Each one tipped with a 5 meter long talon.

“Carnifex incoming! All units, open fire!”

The words barely rang out as the whole jungle surrounding Darius erupted in gunfire.
Exploding projectiles, solid shots, missiles, energy blasts and streams of white hot flame poured into the monstrous creature from all sides. 30 seconds later, the only thing that remained of the beast was charred undergrowth and mutilated trees.
The next thing Darius knew, the entire clearing was full of Astartes. Their power armor painted in green camo patterns, and in many cases covered by thermo-optic camo cloaks. Even the moss covered rock he was leaning against the whole time turned out to be a camouflaged astartes warrior with a silenced sniper rifle.
Within the next minute or two the entire area was full of these strange Space Marines and their equipment. Bulky walking machines armed on all sides, various APCs. At one point even a huge Land Rider drove into the clearing. The front ramp dropped open and a figure dressed in emerald-black power armor walked out. Tyranid trophies hanging from various points of his battle plate. Taller than most of his warriors the newcomer radiated authority and power. As soon as he stoped, Darius fell to his knees in front of him sobing in relief and repeating time and time again:

“The Emperor protects.... The Emperor protects..”

The Huntmaster raised Darius to his feet and said:

“The Emperor protects those who are willing to protect themselves, and his realm. Brother Sirrus!”

Another astartes came up and handed the confused civilian a heavy duty lasgun and a pack of spare energy clips.

“Five kilks from here is an outpost manned by our troops and some PDF. Go there and report to the commander. Landing beacons have been set up. Imperial forces should be making planetfall shortly.”

The Huntmaster and his men turned walking back towards the Land Raider.
In a burst of boldness Darius shouted:

“My Lord! Where are you going?!”

The astartes replied without breaking his stride.
“To Elinoch city.”

“But.... But My Lord..... The city has been overrun!”

Huntmaster Alvarius Garm, Lord Commander and Chapter Master of the Elyrian Lions stopped and gazed at Darius over his shoulder. The lenses of his helmet burning bright like hellfire.

“Not for long.”

In that moment Darius knew...
Doom had come to his world.
Doom for all the enemies of the Emperor.
The Elyrian Lions have descended from the skies.

Archived