True-Scale Deathwatch (24/10 - Guardian of the Covenant)

Excellent as always.  This log never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks for the compliment! I hugely appreciate it. 

Superb. Glad you managed to get a frag cannon in somewhere, would be a shame to not get the unique Deathwatch equipment in.

Hey! Thanks for the response - you know I always want your approval! I posted on your Instagram about your Magnus - looks awesome. I still have a bunch of stuff to post to you. 

Wow, just got done reading this thread and...this is inspiring stuff! I really love the bulk and brutality of your conversions, it has me seriously considering where I could attempt a truescale army (I would have done death watch but I have too many of the official models and want to get that army done lol). Maybe my 30K 1K sons once they finally get an army list...

Love the new frag cannon marine! I really like the bulkiness of all your true scale!

Thanks to the both of you for your comments on the bulk of my Marines, as that's a deliberate aesthetic choice. I know that a lot of the newest true-scalers use power armoured arms (and even torsos) - especially with the new up-armoured Mk III plastic arms. PA shoulder pads, too. I feel that the Astartes need bulk - they should look like walking tanks. I like to keep the pipes on their arms, where possible, as I think it adds to the anti-technological aspects of the Imperium. These aren't sleek Marines. 

Such constant excellence from your long term project. Please never stop.

Thanks! Always appreciate it when you stop by. I'm still fiddling with bionics for a techmarine member of the kill-team! 

So, an update: 

I placed an order in December with Shapeways, and today I had a package from Holland including these shoulderpads from POP Goes the Monkey bits. These are a series of terminator shoulder pads including lots of minor Chapters. I am planning on using these to add some more variety and options to my Marines. 

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Shapeways_zps1mnaw35u.jpg

These are a pig to photograph, but have some incredibly crisp details. There are a bunch of interesting chapter options. By my count, the sprues include: 

Red Hunters

Exorcists

Dark Hunters

Angels of Vengeance

Mortifactors (or any other Chapter that just uses a skull - Skull Bearers?) 

Minotaurs

Soul Drinkers

Black (or White) Consuls

Raptors 

Storm Wardens

Scythes of the Emperor

Two different Carcharadon emblems

Lamenters

Blood Ravens

Howling Griffons

Iron Lords

Tigers Argent

Sons of Medusa

Angels Revenant

Angels Sanguine

So, plenty to consider. I do have plans to add to the Marines in my Kill-Team. Obviously some of these (the Lamenter, Scythes, Consuls, particularly) are ideas I've already included, and I'm not necessarily keen to add another Blood Angels successor, if you have thoughts on concepts you'd like me to explore, by all means share your thoughts! 

Hope you're well, 

Mol 

Hey Mr Molotov, I've followed this thread on an off for a while, I'm a huge fan of Truescale marines, thought I've always stuck with the terminator kit method you started off with yourself. It's interesting to see the progression you've made on this project from where you started to here. Very inspiring.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the transport flyer, I'm thinking of something similar myself for one of my projects. So I'm sure I'll shamelessly rip you off later! ;-)

Awesome looking shoulders. 

I kicked around an idea for a DW marine when Doghouse was looking for ideas, it was never used, so I might as well drop it here if it helps:

Wall-Brother Kariba, Excoriators (2nd Founding Imperial Fists)

Armed with a Tigrus Pattern bolter with a stock. Bolt Pistol, and an Escharan combat long-knife as befitting his feral homeworld.

Helmetless, he has a mowhawk of ragged hair, the sides of his head are shaved, and he has a thick beard the colour of dark mud.

His eyes have ritual black grease around them, almost like face paint, a custom taken on by his chapter since their time defending Terra, famously being given only one order by Lord Dorn himself at their wall: 'Do Not Lose'.

Filthy and tattered, a heraldric cloth is proudly tied around his waist, the checkered pattern of tartan lines only faintly visible, a totem of memory from a lifetime past. 

His warplate is a mashed together mess of Mark iii, Mark iv and mark vii.

His chapter symbol is the red fist of the emperor on a bone field, holding a yellow lightning bolt. A small string of bones and scrimshaw fetishes hangs off his pauldron, consisting of bones from squadmates he has served with, who have died in service to the Emperor.

As per his Chapter's customs, Kariba refuses to repair the surface damage of his warplate, leaving each scar to crag the surface, and personally engraving a notation around each scar, telling where and when he received it.

It is a map he is proud to wear.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to see you make a marine with a giant two handed weapon instead of the standard cc weapon and pistol. Looking forward to seeing more of your true scale marines!

As I said to Midian earlier in the thread, one of my focuses now is trying to incorporate Deathwatch equipment from the new sprue so that my Marines feel more authentically Deathwatch-esque. As such, the Heavy Thunder Hammer seems like an obvious tool for destruction! I intend to play with these guys using modified Deathwatch Overkill rules, and as a result I need a couple of Marines with Jump Packs. As a result, a marine with Jump Pack and Thunder Hammer could be very cool. It makes me think of the Space Marine video game. The D:O game has two assault marines - one with twin lightning claws and one with a hand flamer and chainsword. If anyone has ideas for a cool weapons loadout for Assault Marines, I'd be interested in hearing from you. 

Hey Mr Molotov, I've followed this thread on an off for a while, I'm a huge fan of Truescale marines, thought I've always stuck with the terminator kit method you started off with yourself. It's interesting to see the progression you've made on this project from where you started to here. Very inspiring.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the transport flyer, I'm thinking of something similar myself for one of my projects. So I'm sure I'll shamelessly rip you off later! ;-)

Thanks! I really appreciate the comment. The release of the plastic Tartaros and Cataphractii have lead to a huge influx of truescale Marines - it's really interesting seeing some of them. I hope if you have a go at anything that you'll let me know! 

Awesome looking shoulders. 

I kicked around an idea for a DW marine when Doghouse was looking for ideas, it was never used, so I might as well drop it here if it helps:

Wall-Brother Kariba, Excoriators (2nd Founding Imperial Fists)

Armed with a Tigrus Pattern bolter with a stock. Bolt Pistol, and an Escharan combat long-knife as befitting his feral homeworld.

Helmetless, he has a mowhawk of ragged hair, the sides of his head are shaved, and he has a thick beard the colour of dark mud.

His eyes have ritual black grease around them, almost like face paint, a custom taken on by his chapter since their time defending Terra, famously being given only one order by Lord Dorn himself at their wall: 'Do Not Lose'.

Filthy and tattered, a heraldric cloth is proudly tied around his waist, the checkered pattern of tartan lines only faintly visible, a totem of memory from a lifetime past. 

His warplate is a mashed together mess of Mark iii, Mark iv and mark vii.

His chapter symbol is the red fist of the emperor on a bone field, holding a yellow lightning bolt. A small string of bones and scrimshaw fetishes hangs off his pauldron, consisting of bones from squadmates he has served with, who have died in service to the Emperor.

As per his Chapter's customs, Kariba refuses to repair the surface damage of his warplate, leaving each scar to crag the surface, and personally engraving a notation around each scar, telling where and when he received it.

It is a map he is proud to wear.

Thanks for the character! I would really like to do a Brazen Claw for you, actually. I do like the idea of the Excoriators, but would steer against one for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I have a Black Templar, Crimson Fist and a Sword Bearer, all of which come from Imperial Fist stock. Secondly, I don't totally love the idea of the Excoriators labelling each piece of battle damage, because I've never seen it replicated convincingly on a miniature. 

That said, if you have any other ideas, please throw them my way! 

Impressive modifications.

Thanks!

I've had a bit of a chance to put together another Marine for my squad. This is the first using the shoulderpads from Shapeways and I've discovered that they're quite thick and bulky compared to the plastic or resin ones. I'm planning on removing a fair bit of the plastic shoulder of the arm in order for it to sit a little bit better. 

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd464/INQ28/Redhunter1_zpso0incszt.jpg

This is a reworking of a previous model. As I said, I'm trying to include more Deathwatch components, so this guy has a Deathwatch gladius, helmet and backpack. His pad is that of a Red Hunter. I haven't yet given him a gun; He's either going to have a Deathwatch Bolter or a plasma pistol - because I was looking at him perhaps using the rules of the Dark Angel Gydrael from Deathwatch: Overkill, and he has a plasma pistol and power sword in the game. If people have any thoughts, I would appreciate hearing about it!

In continuing to replicate the rules of Overkill marines, I've been thinking next of using the Space Wolf - Redblade - and his rules as my version of a Space Shark. I'd like to make a convincing pair of running legs from the Tartaros, but this could be quite tricky. Running terminators aren't really a common thing! If people have any ideas of this I'd love to hear it. 

Thanks hugely in advance, 

Mol.

For running legs all you need is a hair dryer. Heat the resin and bend into the appropriate pose.

Nice to see you still trekking along with these guys, Mol. Are you going to expand the project into a small army or keep it on a kill-team level?

Great to see this is still going, your marines were one of the main sources of ideas that I "borrowed" for my own truescales. Running legs wise the FW tartaros have a set them, failing that Typhon?

This is the marine I made with running legs, if that helps

• 8 months later...

It's a long time since I've managed to post in this thread, in part due to the demise of Photobucket as a photo-hosting site. 

I have managed to work on a new Marine. The release of the Primaris Chaplain allowed me to finish a model I've had in bits for a long time, in part because I couldn't figure out how to do the robes properly - sculpting them were beyond me skills. 

This Marine is a Guardian of the Covenant, which I've always liked the look of (and because I didn't want another First Founding Marine in my kill-team.) 

Wq8BXf8.jpg

He's turned out very tall, but he fits in well in the kill-team and gives off a very imposing air! The sword in his hand is from the terminator Captain, but I might replace it with a slightly shorter one. 

I would love your feedback, and I will attempt to get my pictures working again in this thread! 

Nice to see you back, and with a really cool conversion too! I think the terminator captain sword looks fine but since its so long, it looks a teeny bit awkward with the angle it is in right now. Maybe turn the hand so that it's pointing a little bit more forward instead of to the side? Hope to see more more soon!