First Legion's specialty

HaSY

''   We were the First Legion, Brother Sapphon. Consider for that moment what that means. We had to do everything. We fought fleet actions and planetary assaults, razed fortresses and capture whole worlds. We were both the hammer and the anvil, the bait and the trap. We brought death from afar and slaughter at close hand. We acted and others followed. ''

- Merir Astelan from Master of Sanctity

Hopefully FW is able to capture our 6 Wings based on that statement. Ultramarines and Sons of Horus are nothing compared to us. Other legions are merely extensions and expansions of our own specialties. We are so grim dark that we do no need other support and our grim resolve is legendary.

You can't hide! 

It will indeed be interesting to see how Forge World tackle the Dark Angels. There are lots of potential directions to take; you've already mentioned the lone operatives angle, but there's also the access to technology not seen or used by other Legions (Unremembered Empire), the knightly angle taken from the Calibanites and the Lion himself, the Wings and the fact that the DA seem to prefer to operate alone. Other than the Wolves, there are few mentions of the DA fighting alongside other Legions.

It'll be hard to capture the 6 wings with 2/3 Special Units, 2/3 Special Characters, the Lion, 3 unique pieces of War Gear, 2 special rules, and a Rite of War. I imagine they'll go for the technology that others don't have but I have no idea how they'll implement that.

I finished reading Unremembered Empire last week.

I was drawn to the statement made that the DA had/have access to things that no other legion had, or perhaps even realized existed? There is a lot that could be created as a result of that statement.

Well remember that Deathwing I don't believe exist until after the Heresy.

If we do see anything, Jetbikes seem like something we'd see for sure.  Maybe also some type of assault troops.

Deathwing and Ravenwing existed before the Heresy... The first is reporter in Unremembered empire (together with the Dreadwing)... The second in Descent of Angels (though as the order of the Raven's Wing of the feudal Caliban)...

We know now that DA has or had Deathwing, Dreadwing, Ravenwing, Ironwing and that in total the first legion had 6 specialized wings (i guess the DA names For various companies)...

Is FW doing something with the DA soon? I didn't catch any sort of announcement.

According to FW Schedule the first units For DA Will be in 6th HH nook (about 1 to 2 years from now)

Thanks, I guess I won't hold my breath or anything. Still it's something to look (far) forward to.

Deathwing and Ravenwing existed before the Heresy... The first is reporter in Unremembered empire (together with the Dreadwing)... The second in Descent of Angels (though as the order of the Raven's Wing of the feudal Caliban)...

We know now that DA has or had Deathwing, Dreadwing, Ravenwing, Ironwing and that in total the first legion had 6 specialized wings (i guess the DA names For various companies)...

yeah, so:

Deathwing - CQB Termies

Ravenwing - Rapid Assault/Cavalry bikes and speeders

Dreadwing - Infiltrators/Saboteurs/Scouts (i.e. 30k scouts in full PA with massive sniper rifles)??

Stormwing - Ship Boarding actions and Drop assaults??

Ironwing - Mobile Armour and Heavy Support??

Something-wing - Mobile Infantry??

Stormwing - Ship Boarding actions and Drop assaults??

MAYBE...  If you read that it just says that it was an assault squad from the Stormwing.  It doesnt say that, that is the only type of squad in the Stormwing or that they are ALL equipped with boarding shields.

I am looking forward to what ever FW brings out. Judging by some of the other legions, it's bound to be an awesome sculpt.

Forgeworld' record isn't airtight, like how 1 of the Raven Guard specific equipment pieces became nearly useless and more of a burden really with the coming of 7th edition as well as our special flyer and Corax becoming less useful with the changes to Blind. Or how compared to the rest our rules are mediocre. However I should imagine they won't disappoint with the DA unless you expect too much (like 6 wings)

Dreadwing seemed to give the vibe of destroyer squad. More of phosphex and rad goodness.

The voted lieutenant deathwing does not wear terminator armor. I imagine that deathwing akin to reaver squad.

Stormwing are prolly breacher with power halberd

If Nt Mistaken both voted lieutenant survived in unremembered empire

Not all legions had a specialty.

For a few, DA, UM and maybe EC? Their specialty was that they could do everything. Tactical flexability. This is something that legions like the Iron Hands or World Eaters didnt have.

Need a rapid assault... Check

Need a endurance assult.. Check

Need a heavy bombardment.. Check

Need a to figure out a complex problem.. Check

Etc... Etc..

Not all legions could do this..

Imagine Agron in a slow battle of attrition. Or Dorn haing to do a rapid lightning assault.

Our specialty is that we can do it all. We are a legion without need for support, as we need nothing to compliment us.

Alright I rarely drop hints anymore but here's one. Since the first legion operated by itself for a rather long time and were capable of providing every role it needed, I urge you to look at the current Rites of War. Many of the wings can be done using them. The first legion is/was the consummate legion.

If I were forge world I would focus on what makes the dark angels unique in that regard, archaeotech weapons, The Order etc.

Archived