Using Resin Sand on Bases

That's a pretty funky product. Seems like it has some advantages over more common methods. You think you could toss some ballast or gravel into the pot and mix it in, and maybe even the paint (use pigment powders maybe) for a truly 'ready-made' basing gloop? Basically just slather it on, wash and drybrush, right? 

You probably could. As I mentioned in the post, the product is made to take acrylic paints, so you could premix your color of choice into it if you wish. I haven't tried that myself yet. As for ballast, I don't see why you couldn't. It's already pretty gritty. Honestly, when it dries, it looks an awful lot like (and feels like) the Secret Weapon Crushed Glass Snow. Here's a shot of it after it dries:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee260/netminder69/2014-07-24102819.jpg

I didn't have a shot of it in the tutorial because it does take about 24 hours for it to dry completely. And heck, left as is it looks like slushy snow!

Yeah, you mentioning the paint is what made me think of it. I think it might be worth it for some people who like a lot of depth on their base, but want some uniformity. You could premix this in the pot, toss in your color and ballast bits, and then just use it whenever you need to. I like the idea. Thanks for letting us know about it! 

And yeah, that makes for a very convincing icy slush on its own. With all these Space Wolves coming out and their utterly silly new ice weapons... Timing seems perfect.  

• 4 months later...

Archived