One WIP to rule them all

marvmoogy

Hi all, 

Well, I'll apologise in advance for the very very wordy 1st post.  You see, my name is Marvmoogy (or just plain Moogy) and I have a problem.  I'm a shopoholic when it comes to Space Marines and I have developed a plastic crack issue.  I have so many models in various states of build, but only a tiny amount with any paint applied.  So, as such, I thought I would start a WIP thread.  There are a couple of others out there for some of my projects, but what I want to do is pull them all into one nice WIP thread.  In this thread, I'll show how my various projects are developing.  So, without further ado, I'll list the projects, then go into specifics before loading up few pics as and when I can take them.

Project 1: The Dark Angels 3rd Company

The Dark Angels Deathwing  (about half of)

The Dark Angels Ravenwing (elements of)

The Dark Angels 10th Company (a small detachment of)

Project 2: A Deathwatch Army

Project 3: Warhammer 40k Chess Set

Project 4: A Space Wolves detachment.

Project 5: Imperial Knights.

So, without further ado, here's a little more info on the various projects.

THE DARK ANGELS 

When I got back into the hobby (just about 2 years ago now) it was at the time that the rumours of a Dark Angels starter box were rife.  The Dark Angels were the first chapter I ever collected so I decided it was where I would start afresh.  As a teen with no income, it was always a dream to have a battle company.  As an adult with a little bit of spare cash, I decided I wanted to make this dream a reality.

The thinking behind my Dark Angels is this:  They are away from the Rock hunting a very notorious member of the Fallen.  It is said that this traitor has previously worked in league with Cypher.  So, although it doesn't warrant sending of the Angels of the Lion en masse, it does warrant worthy attention.  So, this is what will be chasing this misguided 'brother'....

Chapter HQ:

In here, I'm taking each of the main characters from the Codex:

Azrael

Ezekiel

Asmodai

Belial

Sammael

Company Veterans squads (probably about 15-20 marines in total, circa 5 each armed with: bolters, heavy weapons, close combat loadout).

Democles Command Vehicle

The 3rd Company

Company Master (Lightning claw, combi plasma)

Command Squad & Razorback (Standard bearer, Apothecary, Power fist & plasma pistol, Plasma gun, Champion

Librarian Force sword)

Librarian with Jump pack

Interrogator Chaplain (Plasma Pistol, Crozius)

Chaplain with Jump pack

Techmarine with servitors

Tactical Squad 1 & Rhino (Plasma pistol, plasma gun, plasma cannon)

Tactical Squad 2 & Rhino (Storm bolter, meltagun, multi-melta)

Tactical Squad 3 & Rhino (Power fist, flamer, heavy bolter)

Tactical Squad 4 & Rhino (Plasma pistol, power weapon (maul), plasma gun, plasma cannon)

Tactical Squad 5 & Rhino (Plasma pistol, power weapon (sword), flamer, missile launcher)

Tactical Squad 6 & Rhino (Power fist, meltagun, lascannon)

Assault Squad 1 (Jump-packs, Power fist, 3x plasma pistol)

Assault Squad 2 (Jump-packs, combi-flamer, melta-bombs, 2x flamer)

Devastator Squad 1 & Rhino (Plasma pistol, power fist, 2x heavy bolter, 2x plasma cannon

Devastator Squad 2 & Rhino (2x missile launcher, 2x lscannon)

'Linebacker Squadron' (3x Vindicator Tanks)

'Assassin Squadron' (3x Predator Tanks)

'Suppression Squadron' (3x Whilrwind Tanks)

3 Dreadnoughts (1 with 2x Twin-linked autocannons, 1 with Lascannon & missile launcher, 1 with Plasma Cannon and DCCW)

The Ravenwing

Sammael on Jetbike

Sammael on Sableclaw

Librarian on a bike

Chaplain on a bike

Techmarine on a bike

Full strength command squad (Apothecary, Standard, Champion, grenade launcher)

Black Knights x 10 (Power weapon, melta bombs, 2 RWGLs, )

Ravenwing Attack Squadron 1 (Melta bombs, 2x plasma guns, heavy bolter attack bike, Land speeder tornado with heavy bolter & assault cannon)

Ravenwing Attack Squadron 2 (Power weapon, 2x melta guns, multi-melta attack bike, Land speeder tornado with twin multi-meltas)

Ravenwing Attack Squadron 3 (Power fist, 2x flamers, heavy bolter attack bike, Land speeder tornado with heavy flamer & heavy bolter)

Ravenwing Support Squadron (5x Land speeder typhoons, 2 multi melta, 2 heavy bolters and 1 heavy flamer)

Dark Talon

Nephilim

2x Dark Shrouds

Land speeder Vengeance 

The Deathwing

Belial

Interrogator Chaplain

Librarian

Deathwing Command Squad

2 squads of 5 Deathwing Knights

2 squads of 5 Deathwing armed with thunder hammer & storm shields

2 squads of 5 Deathwing armed with lightning claws

4 squads of 5 Deathwing each with a sergeant (PS & SB), 2 Marines (PF & SB) 1 Marine (CF & SB) and 2 squads with assault cannons, 1 with a plasma cannon, 1 with a cyclone missile launcher.

2 Venerable Dreadnoughts (TLLC & missile launcher, assault cannon & DCCW)

1 Venerable Chaplain Dreadnought (Plasma cannon & dreadnought-sozed crozius!)

3 Contemptor Dreadnoughts (2 TL KACs with Cyclones, 1 with TL Heavy Bolter & DCCW)

Land Raider Redeemer
Land Raider Crusader
Land Raider Phobos 
Land Raider Achillies
Land Raider Democles

I have pretty much all the marines for the battle company built, I have 2 RAS squads and a whole heap of terminators.  I've got a few bits of Forgeworld kit, but best to assume I don't have it!  This is my 'long term' project that will never stop.  Come on, we all have them ;-)

THE DEATHWATCH
This is a really interesting project to me.  I've always loved the idea of the Deathwatch ever since an article I read in White Dwarf talking about Heavy Bolter suspensors! When the new Space Marine Codex came out, I had a read and found the story of the Crimson Fists really noble and interesting.  So I thought I'd make a small C:SM army, using Crimson Fists with a few Deathwatch Marines in it.  Then the Apocalypse formation was released and I thought, "yeah, let's do that".  Then, after buying a load of Crimson FIsts shoulder pads and reading the Deathwatch novel, I had a thought.  I made my own back story!  So, after the fall of Rynn's World, the High Lords of Terra disband the Crimson Fists instead of allowing them to rebuild due to the catastrophic losses.  The remainder of the chapter are inducted into the Deatwatch on a permanent basis.  This gives me the perfect background to build a high-points, low-model count army that is REALLY fun to play with! So, here's my Deathwatch Army (using Chapter Tactics: Crimson Fists).

Watch Commander Pedro Kantor
Honour Guard (x6, 1 champion)
Watch Captain (Bolt pistol & power sword)
Chaplain (Ivanus Enkomi mini)
Librarian (Bolt pistol & Force staff)
Drop pod
Sternguard veterans (combi-flamer, 2x combi-grav, heavy bolter)
Drop pod
Vanguard Veterans (TL LC, power axe, th&ss, relic blade & grav pistol, bp & ccw)
Venerable Dreadnought (Assault cannon & DCCW)
Tactical Squad & Rhino (Combi-grav, power fist, grav gun, heavy bolter)
Tactical Squad & Rhino (Power weapon, grav gun, heavy bolter)
Storm Talon
Storm Talon
Storm Raven
Devastator Centurions (all with missile launchers and grav cannons / amps)
Fire Raptor

This army is pretty much complete.  I want to buy the forgeworld doors, ramp and top hatch for both of the Rhinos and I need 1 more drop pod.  I'm also toying with the idea of making the sternguard squad number 10, but we shall see.  Fingers crossed, these guys will be fully built by the end of next week.

40k Chess Set
I had started a WIP thread on this previously but, despite trying to restart it, I lacked the motivation to get it completed.  I basically have the chess board made and sprayed but need to go over the detail due to seepage through the wood. All the pawns need to be power armoured and the character models are to be in TDA in order to show a distinction between the pieces
Pawns - Dark Angel Company Veterans v Khorne Bezerkers
Rooks - Deathwing Assault Cannons v Khorne Terminator Reaper Autocannons
Knights - Deathwing Knights v Khorne Terminator chainaxe & some kind of shield
Bishops - Terminator Chaplains v Terminator Dark Apostles
Queen - Terminator Librarian v Terminlator Sorcerer
King - Belial v Abbadon or Terminator Lord.....I can't decide which!

Space Wolves
Well, I blame Stormclaw and Dantay_xv for this!  I wanted to buy the rules and thought "well, I'll buy Stormclaw, keep the rules and sell the minis.  You never know, I may end up with a free rule book".  But then I read the book that comes with Stormclaw.  Then I read the codex.  Then I looked on ebay.  And now, well...
Fierce Eye's Finest:
Krom Dragongaze
5 Wolf Guard Termies
5 Blood Claws
5 Grey Hunters
After some, erm....'strategic' buying on Ebay and a few cheeky messages, I have an additional
3 Wolf Packs and 10 Wolf Guard Terminators to join the above.
This WILL BE IT FOR TROOPS!  I don't mind buying a few drop pods or rhinos....I may even get that new flyer (I like the look of it!) I have also said I'd get some Thunder Wolf Cavalry and some Fenrisian Wolves....because they're not troops! ;-)
I'm waiting for the new codex before I decide how I am going to build these guys up.  But my thoughts are for 20 Grey Hunters, 15 Blood claws and 5 Long Fangs.  If the rules stay similar, then I'd split up 1 pack of Wolf Guard to join each squad and then have 2 packs of 5 Wolf Guard and 1 Lone Wolf.

The Imperial Knights.
My financee is very understanding when it comes to this "model &%$£" hobby as she calls it.  So much so that she bought me an Imperial Knight Titan for my birthday back in March.  I've been unsure of how to build it for a while (both loadout and paint-scheme) and thought about magnetising.  That was before the White Dwarf that introduced us to Gerantius - The Forgotten Knight.  Ok, 500 points is a lot!  But I think he is a lot of model for 500 points and I'm really looking forward to playing him.  So far, the legs are build as is much of the torso. But, I'm at the point where I need to do some undercoating on him.  As I can't walk at the mo, it's going to take some doing!  Fingers crossed it won't be too long until he's on his way!

Oh.   I know I said Imperial KnightS. And I know I have only mentioned one.  That;s because I only have one....but we all know how these things can change!

So.  There we have it.  The 5 projects I'm currently working on.  Fully expect me to flick between different projects as I get bored / demotivated between them!  And fully expect the 'build' stages to take precedence at the moment.  I'm recovering from an operation and the meds have given me a serious case of 'hand wobble'.  

There is no set time for completion either.  I have just finished a Uni course retraining and know that, come September, my back will be against the wall with work!  But, I hope to still make progress!

I'll load some pictures as and when:
1)  Some nice person tells me how to do it (as when I have tried before, it only ever shows links)
2)  I get the models out and get chance to take a snap!

One last thing - C&C is welcome!!  I am pretty happy with my modelling skills...but my painting is a ling way from polished!  Any suggestions are gratefully received!

I would have gone with black legion vs a more single color army in the chess set, but that being said, wouldn't khorne berzerkers have trouble with the sorcerer? Still I am very interested to see how this all pans out.

Thanks, oldschoolsoviet.  I'll add some of the Space Wolves I've made up tomorrow along with some of the Imperial Knight.  Talking of which, I made a little progress there today.

The leg assembly is complete as is the torso assembly.  I haven't glued the top canopy on yet as I think it obscures too much of the detail I want to paint...especially on the exhausts.  The leg assembly, heavy stubber and head and torso have been sprayed black and the torso top, heraldry shield and 'helmet' have been sprayed Caliban green.  I've noticed a few areas that I've smoothed out to the touch but once paint has gone on it sticks out like a sore thumb!  These little areas will be the de facto areas of weathering and battle damage to help hide the cock ups!

Thanks for the input, Teetengee.  I'll be honest, I hadn't really thought about the conflict of Bezerkers and a Sorcerer....I guess it would be like fielding Blaxk Templars with a Librarian!  Having said that, many  many moons ago, I started a Bezerker army (this was in the days of pocket money so army is a loose definition - probably 1 box of the old monopose guys and Khan or something like that!) and I want to rekindle that.  If you can think of a better idea than a librarian and a sorcerer, then let me know!  The only stipulations?  Must be Dark Angels / Chaos related and it MUST be in Terminator armour.  Over to you!

Ok, some C&C.

1. Please get some pic up or it's really a glorified shopping list.

2. Plan your lists better. Plasma pistols are not worth it most of the time. Bounce some lists around in the separate forums for some good input.

3. Do you need every special character? Home made ones can be more suitable to the situation and cost less.

4. Seek help for your shopping addiction. At least it's not shoes eh.

Ok, some C&C.

1. Please get some pic up or it's really a glorified shopping list.

2. Plan your lists better. Plasma pistols are not worth it most of the time. Bounce some lists around in the separate forums for some good input.

3. Do you need every special character? Home made ones can be more suitable to the situation and cost less.

4. Seek help for your shopping addiction. At least it's not shoes eh.

Hi Forte - this really made me chuckle!

1) Pics will come as and when as I am bed-bound at the moment.  I'll be able to get some things up but whole army pics etc are weeks away.

2) It's not a case of planning my lists better, it's a case of building my interpretation of what it would look like.  I rarely get to play games, but when I do, it's usually max 2000 points. I think I have enough to cover my needs ;-)

3)  Yes.  Yes I do (and I already have them). :-D 

4) Meh...... ;-)

The battle company is pretty much there excluding the armour.  The 3 'big' special characters are owned and 2 or the 3 RAS squads.  All the termie troops are there as well as Belial (my conversion) the Libby and the Chaplain.   I have a few of the Dreadnoughts but need to get more (don't we all....?)

The Deathwatch just need another drop pod and the dorgeworld doors and then it is complete.  And as for the wolves, well.....we await the new 'dex!

At 2k I'd deffo recommend dropping the plasma pistols ;)

Guess you'll be going for the new Space Wolves dread/ Bjorn model then.

Okey dokey....

After a painful week, I have managed to get some pics uploaded.  I'm really sorry about the poor picture quality - I have had to resort to my phone camera and, due to the lack of mobility, have been really limited on how I can take the pics.

Rather than spamming a load of pics in one post and it taking forever to load, I'll link through to my Deviantart portfolio.

SPACE WOLVES

4 pics of the units built up.  I've tried to recreate the poses exactly as they are on the Stormclaw box.   I know I got the shoulder pads on two of the Blood Claws mixed up and the head angle is a little dodgy on one of the Grey Hunters....but I think most of the poses are pretty accurate.  I know I still need to clean the plastic in some areas, but that's a job for another day/week/month/.....year??

http://marvmoogy.deviantart.com/gallery/50566596/Space-Wolves

DEATHWATCH

I've put in a few pics of where I'm up to.  Sorry - the black undercoat doesn't show the detail too well.  Hopefully you get the idea of where I'm going with it.  To fit in with my fluff there are a lot of Crimson Fists in there and I have used the Sternguard shoulder pads as chapter pads for some 'unknown' chapters.

The honour guard are made from the veterans box with some power weapons made using the bits box (mostly Ravenwing IIRC) and the Champion is the 2008 Games Day miniature.  Hoping to get Kill Team 2 (the 2nd Tactical Squad) built this coming week.

http://marvmoogy.deviantart.com/gallery/50564621/Deathwatch-WIP

DARK ANGELS

Not much to say here - just took pics of the mini's in their trays.  I have 4 (WOW!!!) complete minis - Azrael, Ezekiel and the IC in Termie armour and Termie Libby.  Pics are in the Green wing folder (http://marvmoogy.deviantart.com/gallery/50566702/Greenwing) and the Deathwing folder (http://marvmoogy.deviantart.com/gallery/50566575/Deathwing

I'll get some more pics up as and when I can.

Re the minis - C&C welcome.  These guys are WIPs so I'll apologise  now for loose shoulder pads, blutak and bits not properly attached :)

From a content perspective, you'll get a lot of views and feedback if you put the pictures here. People just aren't going to click-through links, especially without any teaser images. 

This is a project forum. People come here specifically to look at pictures of peoples' projects. In the day and age of widespread high speed Internet, nobody's really worried about slow page load times on a forum they know will be laden with images. In fact, that's kind of the whole point.

Ok guys,  I just typed out all the linkies and I got an error message about the link not being allowed on this forum.....can anyone help out?

EDIT - Error message:

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.

Archived