Why the warp can't I decide on what Legion I want to play?

Tiger9gamer

So I'm having this internal struggle right now over what legions I really want to play, and it's coming down to the point I need to ask the internet for advice. 

Alright, My ultimate plan is this to collect enough space marines through both 40k and 30k to field a complete space marine battle company, painting and getting enough to play both 30k and 40k.

right now the biggest sticking point is trying to friggen decide what chapter to play. this also extends to my 40k troubles but lets forget that for now. lets look at the chapters I have the most on my mind to try and fix this problem.

Raven Guard- I really like the RG's style and play, along with their ideals. Sneaky, lightning raids and Gurrilla attacks is just so awesome to me! plus, I like the rules in 30k because it shows the style the best. as of now I'm using the Raptor tactics in my 40k games for my mobile force so I kinda already have some points down with it I think. 

The problem I have with it though is that while the rules are awesome, they might also be too limiting. Infiltrating is awesome and everything, but trying to infiltrate big squads of space marines feels just as hard as it would in real life. I'm not really sure how/ if I can get them to be effective enough to provide some fun games and tactical diversity. plus, fluff wise I dont think they do much after the Dropsite Massacre.

Ultramarines- The boys in blue have one of my favorite battles of the HH, and thats Calth. I love Know No Fear and it's currently one of my favorite books to read! 

the problem is that there already is one Ultramarine player at my local club, and he is kinda a nob.  He has one of the biggest marine armies around that clocks in at over 5,000pts and includes his own battle company and a lot of other gribblies. He's the one that kinda made me want to start my own company, but I really really don't want to be seen as a copy cat. =/ 

Imperial Fists- One of the first chapters I began to play when I started my army as the Iron Knights! the defenders of terra can hold the line and the biggest fight they were engaged in, Terra, is probably one of the best ones in the HH. I do like the rules and the style, with them being the masters of the boltgun, but....

OHMYGOD so much yellow. I don't know if I have the aptitude to paint that, and I'm kinda psyched out when I hear how much of a pain it is. Plus, I like my armies fast and vehicle heavy. With my new Ork army and my Raptor force, I love the Vehicles. Imperial fists just seem like they are too focused on being stationary and dug in to really be moving around the table, which in 7th mobility now wins games.

Iron Hands- above I said I like vehicles and the Rion hands do have a lot of vehicles. Plus they are really tough and can take the damage at range to really keep fighting. the black color scheme is easy to paint and I do like vehicles but...

They're d^cks! there I said it. I hate chapters that arn't really heroic and don't give a crap about the humans they were made to protect. thats why you don't see any traitor legion up here. in all the stories I read they don't give a flying cog about humanity, and I just cant like that. I love the tactics but man... I don't know if I can bring myself to play them.

anyways thats my coffee fueled rant. I'm still really stuck on deciding what to do, so any help and advice would be great.

Pst... Raven Guard.

The rules can be limiting but in the end I prefer to avoid infiltrating so sure the rule becomes useless to me (I very nearly lost a game turn one because of a mistake when choosing what I was infiltrating (everything xD)) but they're still fun to play. The Rite of War is pretty fun and while limiting you to only one Heavy Support, I made a 3400 Decapitation Strike list with 0 Heavy Support choices. Fluff wise you could do a cop out like me and say they were late to the party because of a warp drive malfunction (or whatever) and then came into system as the Traitor fleet was destroying the RG, IH, and Salamanders fleets, then booked it (and to justify me playing against 40k armies I decided to say they got stuck in the warp for what felt like a month but was actually 10k years give or take) Basically just make it fun for you.

Why not none of the above?  Your issue with IH and how they treat others could be assuaged with the Salamanders, the hands-down people's legion.  Shoot, even the BA (when not in rage-mode) would work.  Sanguinius seems to have a very compassionate heart to humans that I think his legion tries to emulate.

I'm having the same issues.  Which for me?  I've been leaning more and more toward Ultramarines or BA, though my brother has a sizeable BA force in 40K.  He kinda looked at me askance when I suggested I wanted to do a Heresy BA force...

Welcome to hell.

Seriously, I'm going to fail my ETL vow as I simply can't decide on which legion to paint.

I've narrowed it down to 17 legions (can't stand Word Bearers)

Every time i think I've decided, I read another novel or see the latest FW release and then my mind changes again...

Good luck!

Have you considered a Second Founding approach to this? I understand that there will be conflicts within a meta due to the 18 Legions that can be chosen. Buuuut, you can always go with a Second founding Chapter since in a lot o cases heraldry and markings found on second foundings can also be found first present in the Legions they originated.

Do you paint with an airbrush? If so, I feel confident that you can handle the yellow. It really isn't as bad as it's made out to be. You just need to be very diligent about your colors and how many and what quality of coats of paint you use. Don't be afraid - paint a few test models and you'll quickly find out whether you think you could handle it for a whole army.

EDIT: Lets try to dispel the reasons NOT to play a legion.

Raven Guard: Do it. You can do anything with a legion. Vehicles can be sneaky. Look at WWII.

Ultramarines: do it. So what if there's another guy there? Paint yours better. Plus heresy era anything is more awesome. You'll have no issues.

Iron hands. Don't do it. I agree man they are pretty hard to identify with (for me). It's all about mentality.

Salamanders etc: do it. See reasons for ultras. You're not a copy cat.

I would recommend the Ultramarines for the Loyalist option and the Alpha Legion for the Traitor option. 

The XIII Legion is large enough to include every specialty, be it a footslogging army of Terminators and Dreadnoughts, a rapid assault unit carried by drop pods and gunships, or an armored company mounted in Rhinos and spearheaded by Sicarans. 

The same goes for the Alpha Legion. We tend to associate the XX Legion with small infiltration/reconnaissance/sabotage teams, but Extermination proves that the Legion is capable of fielding massed ranks of Terminators and armor in blitzkrieg-style assaults as well. 

Good luck to you. You are certainly not the only person in this situation. I have a large force of World Eaters already and even I am at a loss as to which exact Loyalist Legion I want to stand opposite of them.

I'll just point to the posts I made in the "Help me choose my next Army (traitor)" thread here when trying to help Fire Golem and others narrow down their options.

Also, what kind of Son of Dorn would I be if I didn't recommend the Imperial Fists? As for Painting Yellow, you could always go with the boys serving under Fafnir Rann / veterans who has their armor painted predominantly black. With only the shoulders and helm being yellow.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/The_Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_Books/THE_HORUS_HERESY_BOOK_THREE_EXTERMINATION.html <=== See the Imperial Fists Preview Photo for an Idea on what I mean.

Legions seem to get a few extra specific units for themselves:

Sons of Horus: 2 HQ Abaddon and Loken, a dedicated transport Dreadclaw Drop Pod, 1 EL Justaerin Term Sq, 1 FA Reaver Attack Sq, 1 LW Horus

World Eaters: 2 HQ Darr and Khârn, 2 EL Rampager Sq and Red Butchers, 1 LW Angron

Emperor's Children: 2 HQ Tarvitz and Eidolon, 3 EL Palatine Blade Sq & Rylanor & Phoenix Term Sq, 1 HS Kakophani Sq, 1 LW Fulgrim

Death Guard: 4 HQ Mortung & Rask & Typhon & Deathshroud Term Sq, 1 HS Grave Warden Term Sq, 1 LW Mortarion

Iron Hands: 2 HQ Orth & Mor, 2 EL Gorgon Tern Sq & Medusan Immortals, 1 LW Manus

Night Lords: 2 HQ Llansahai & Sevatar, 1 EL Terror Sq, 1 FA Raptor Sq, 1 LW Curze

Salamanders: 2 HQ Dracos & Rhy'tan, 1 EL Firedrake Term Sq, 1 HS Pyroclast Sq, 1 LW Vulkan

Word Bearers: 2 HQ Erebus & Phaeron, 1 EL Vorbak, 1 FA Ashen Circle, 1 LW Lorgar

Iron Warriors: 2 HQ Gulg & Vhalen, 1 EL Tyrant Siege Term Sq, 1 HS Iron Havoc Sq, 1 LW Perturabo

Alpha Legion: 2 HQ Dynat & Exodus, 1 EL Lernaean Term Sq, 1 FA Headhunter Kill Team, 1 LW Alpharius

Imperial Fists: 2 HQ Sigismund & Polux, 1 EL Templar Brethren, 1 FA Phalanx Warder Sq, 1 LW Dorn

Raven Guard: 2 HQ Maun & Nex, 2 EL Mor Deythan Strike Sq & RG Darkwing Pattern Storm Eagle Gunship, 1 FA Dark Fury Assault Sq, 1 LW Corax

.....add to that the regular Legion Crusade List of 3 HQ, 10 EL, 5 TR, 3 DT, 9 FA, 14 HS, and 9 LW and you cam shake just about any stick you want to at your opponent.

Myself, I'm going an Astartes Cybernetica route: robot marines that can be played according to almost any legion specific rules as possible. The Legio Cybernetica has undoubtedly studied the Primarchs and their legions so far and are preparing robotic warriors to counter them.

The fluff is yours to inspire and motivate yourself. Have fun! But choose... wisely...

[edit: added RG Dark Furies per Komrk. Thanks!]

At the end of the day it boils down to what YOU want to do. I get the whole unique fluffy butterfly thing at a hobby store. I picked my Minotaurs because no one allowed FW at the time and we have sooooo mnay space marine players. If you really want to do Ultramarines don't want to because someone else has a huge army of them? I get that. Don't do Ultramarines then. Fact is FW resin costs a lot of money. Some guys here could easily have bought sports cars (well maybe a nice motorcycle...or three) with how much they've invested in their HH army.  

Pick what inspires you!

I LOVE The Dark Angels and their Primarch which is why I chose the 1st Legion. I like that as a Legion they were the first of their kind and were self reliant. However the first army I ever owned were the Black Templars. I loved Sigismund's character. I have wavered time to time wanting to do a Templar themed HH army as well.

Exactly like Weber said, choose what you love. I chose the Raven Guard because they're operators in space. They can go from lying undetected performing reconnaissance to striking the enemy and then retreat back to the shadows before their enemy can react. Not only are they operators in space, but they actually care about the people they were made to protect and create a better galaxy for.

Unification-Era VII Legion. Period. They had one of the coolest Legion colors of all the early pre-Primarch Legions....

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140411233413/warhammer40k/images/5/57/IF_VII_Legion_Vet.jpg

And they can be made mobile with the correct Rite of War.

As a Fist I have to promote the sons of Dorn, Yellow is not that hard to paint depending on the shade you wish to paint, if you want the Lemon drop BRIGHT yellow then it could prove a challenge, I have found that I prefer a darker shade and its not that tough as i was saying IE:

gallery_63665_9628_1264611.jpg

I have had like 30 shades of yellow and I liked them all. The mini on the right is straight Avertland yellow on un-primed resin with a dark wash to make it pop, on the left its the same just added thinned down layers of Flash Gitz yellow for the Armour pulling the paint to the light source. In the middle you have a mini painted using a variation of the Forge World recipe and I prefer that the most.

I say what ever you do Jump in feet first and hit the ground running and don't look back!

Also +1 BS to all bolter weaponry and with our unique RoW you can have T5 Breachers and Terminators with a 2+/3++ save, that isn't anything to take lightly!

Go Fists! 

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp299/spencertrimm/update27.jpg

Yellow is intimidating at first, but it's really not so difficult. I've spent the past 6 months researching different techniques and figuring out what works and what doesn't. A few step process and you can have something presentable. Even now, I've got three recipes (Tamiya, Vallejo, and GW based) to see what I like the most. :)

Go Fists!

Yellow is intimidating at first, but it's really not so difficult. I've spent the past 6 months researching different techniques and figuring out what works and what doesn't. A few step process and you can have something presentable. Even now, I've got three recipes (Tamiya, Vallejo, and GW based) to see what I like the most. smile.png

Those look great! I'm also collecting recipes from other people. Care to share this one?

I like that they are very worn and dirty but they still look menacing. Nice job on the weathering.

Thanks! This recipe mostly uses GW colors, the basics are:

Yellow

- Prime Light Gray

- Averland Sunset

- Yriel Yellow

- Casandora shade

- Flash Gitz Yellow

- Agrax in deepest recesses

- Lamenters glaze

Oil Wash

- Burnt Umber Oil wash (1-2 hr break to allow oil to dry)

Sponge Weathering

- Stormvermin Fur

- Light Boltgun Metal on the most pronounced edges

Regarding infiltrating Raven Guard. Remember it's not just about deploying in the opposition half. It also allows you to deploy squads after your opposition. This allows you to react to the opposition even when you deploy 'first' (representing advance scouts giving info on enemy deployment).

I'm really thinking of doing a Raven Guard army, but it'll be XIX legion pre-Corax

Edit: and regarding the question in the title...because they are all freaking awesome in their own way

I havn't put much thought into the fists, and that yellow does look awesome. I might need to try on a test model first.

I guess I have to get out and proxy a few games, but it would be hard to really buckle down and decide unless I do try.

Why the warp can't I decide on what Legion I want to play?

Because Forge World does its job well.

Myself, I wanted to make War Hounds, with a personal color scheme at that, but I shelved that idea when I realized that, with all the times I mentioned them here, any bloke reading this forum would know who Knight of the Raven is in real life the second I put them on the table.

And that's a big no-no.

Many people do World Eaters or Raven Guard though, so I'm a lot safer with either of these legions.

Speaking of Raven Guard, I joined the mythical and everdefeated First Butthurt Battalion when I learned they couldn't have more tanks than infantry.

Go Fists!

Yellow is intimidating at first, but it's really not so difficult. I've spent the past 6 months researching different techniques and figuring out what works and what doesn't. A few step process and you can have something presentable. Even now, I've got three recipes (Tamiya, Vallejo, and GW based) to see what I like the most. :)

Must...resist....Imperial Fists....

Archived