Millicant's Horus Heresy (Blood in the Void - 28Jun)

Millicant

Thanks LongGone and Slipstreams - I think I'll test out some grey WX powders and see how they look.  Probably use a few layers of lighter and darker greys - that way I can vary the mix for the Zone Mortalis vs Cityscape boards and still have a homogeneous look.  

Dono - I am proceeding!  He is working on my wall along with a bunch of other bits right meow.  Only been a few days, so once I get some WIP shots I'll probably share them, and of course LOTS of pics once the project is complete.  I'm in CA, however so shipping is a lot less ridiculous than to Australia.  :(

Thanks Deathspectre - I appreciate that!

Look forward to it mate, his work is masterful and I still regret not being able to get the table done by him. I may end up getting some terrain or suchlike done a latter date, maybe something which is easier to ship lol

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, update time!

Matt from Sabol Studios sent me a few "work-in-progress" pics. I've listed them roughly as he's sent them to me.

To reiterate - I commissioned him to make a 4' wall for Zone Mortalis, at least 12" tall. He also will be making several interior pieces, to include pillars, consoles, a command throne, and lots of various loading/cargo equipment.

First - a little piece of loading equipment.

gallery_64289_9857_827370.jpg

Early shots of the hangar door. For reference, those are 1x1' Zone Mortalis tiles behind it.

gallery_64289_9857_383994.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_641754.jpg

Early gunwall.

gallery_64289_9857_578522.jpg

Here's the most recent batch he sent me.

Current Hangar door.

gallery_64289_9857_535439.jpg

A few of both pieces of the wall.

gallery_64289_9857_672814.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_648605.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_452973.jpg

So far I've been very happy with Matt. He is extremely enthusiastic and has great vision for his commissions. I should admit that I'm probably not the easiest client of his, as I was rather specific about quite a few things. He took it all in stride and made me very confident that he understands my desire, while sharing my idea of the aesthetic that the project should have.

I'll post more as it comes!

Are you going to kill any Tyranid Dominatrix with that power loader, Ripley? ;)

If they try and board this ship, you bet!

Thanks for the positive comments guys. I'll post the details as they come.

Additionally, I doubt I'm going to base anything for the city fight board. I will do the Zone Mortalis bases for my Imperial Fists force and something else for the rest. We shall see.

I believe any international postage from the US is exceptionally expensive now.

However there may be a few things which I might be able to look at him doing.

Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out though

Matt sent me a few more pictures! It seems that the exterior is finished.

The Hangar door now has lights!

gallery_64289_9857_93717.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_32062.jpg

The gun on top is magnetized

gallery_64289_9857_16696.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_9893.jpg

I'm quite pleased. As always, I'll post more as I get more pictures. Can't wait to add this to the Zone Mortalis tiles!

Awesome stuff! I like the painted Zone Mortalis tile, it looks really cool. The painting bunker is always a good choice when looking for inspiration, especially for terrain.

Do you mind telling me, how you painted your ZM tile? Which colors did you use? I'm prepping mine at the moment and are looking for painting tipps.

Whoa.

Clear a spot on your couch when that board is complete. I'll need a place to sleep when I get there. :P

Haha sounds good. I'm pretty excited myself. Still have to paint all the Zone Mortalis tiles, which it turns out takes a long time.

As far as the paint scheme goes - I will gladly share it, however fair warning, it's not simple.

I'm going to post step-by-step pics with the recipes, otherwise I think I'll confuse myself trying to list it. I have 12 more tiles to paint yet so there's a lot of opportunities...

• 2 weeks later...

Alright! Matt from Sabol Studios has been busy, making this project come alive!

Here are the first shots of the inside of the hangar door. He's created a launch turntable, using a flat Zone Mortalis tile to act as the transition from the open and expandable hangar floor space to the hangar door. The flat tiles seen are removable and simply represent the ability to place any Zone Mortalis tiles I want adjacent to this wall! Obviously I plan on using several flat tiles painted to represent an open hangar bay, but this way the possibilities are endless!

I've sent him 6 flat Zone Mortalis tiles so far. Two of which are being chopped up for the turntable and various flooring (as seen) while the remaining 4 are acting as the first tiles that will connect to the rest of my table.

At this point I really need to add some actual Horus Heresy stuff to this thread, otherwise it's becoming strictly a terrain thread! Oh well - it will be used for glorious Herey-era space battles. Just stick with me msn-wink.gif

gallery_64289_9857_25792.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_445630.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_298857.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_306467.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_862937.jpg

Again, I have to commend Mr. Matt Sabol on this project. He is really knocking it out of the park. We have spoken on the phone on a near weekly basis as the project continues, and he clearly has a vision which matches my own. He also has a great talent for taking me just outside of my comfort zone, and then following up with fantastic results. I have repeatedly said "I don't know about ____" or "I'm unsure of how ____ will work/look/etc" and every single time, Matt has defied my uncertainty with pictures of his progress. At this point, I have started saying "I trust you're going to make it awesome" and he has. smile.png So far, I would recommend him with enthusiasm to anyone who is interested.

As always, more pics will follow as they come. Unfortunately, I decided not to have Matt paint it for me, as I have my own rather distinct/exact paint scheme. I will be posting more on that soon - I've just been distracted with some other 40k models recently. (HERESY! No wait, the opposite...) As I see the large and complex nature of the wall, I'm starting to regret that decision, however I will make the most of it and paint it to my utmost ability.

Oh my, that praise looks to be rightfully deserved!

Can't wait to see it painted up and with some Fists (..I think thats what you're going with, right?) on it!

This Zone Mortalis project is really coming together. Matt has been emailing me pictures almost daily now with his progress. It is looking GOOOOOD.

Here's some progress shots.

He built a "control tower" for the launch area.

gallery_64289_9857_616375.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_249435.jpg

And then he finished the hangar door detailing.... oh my...

gallery_64289_9857_119940.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_487904.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_104930.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_443941.jpg

And this last one is just a shot of the underside of the turntable.

gallery_64289_9857_910306.jpg

Matt has told me that since I'm painting this myself, he's building it in many parts. So far 20, he says, so I can access every little bit for painting. Oh man I can't wait.

Archived