Millicant's Horus Heresy (Blood in the Void - 28Jun)

Millicant

I cringe to think of the cost but, by the looks of it, is totally worth it!

man this thing will look uber-amazing-spectacular when painted up if your ZM tiles are anything to go by.

is that turntable powered?!?!?

Not for rotation, just for lights!  See below!

I cringe to think of the cost but, by the looks of it, is totally worth it!

man this thing will look uber-amazing-spectacular when painted up if your ZM tiles are anything to go by.

Thanks man!  I appreciate that.  I'm excited to paint this whole thing, I think once it's all matching it will really come to life.  

....Will you have suspended gantries/walkways that lead to say, Storm Eagles or equivalent aircraft a la Tie Fighter Hangar Bay?

http://lordsarvain.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/tormentor_2012_0741.jpg

....Will you have suspended gantries/walkways that lead to say, Storm Eagles or equivalent aircraft a la Tie Fighter Hangar Bay?

http://lordsarvain.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/tormentor_2012_0741.jpg

Matt mentioned this kind of thing actually.  While he may still include them (refer to my earlier post about my comfort zone and his exceptional ability to stretch it just right...) I was pretty specific about NOT having any sort of ceiling or overhead obstructions.  This is primarily a gaming piece, after all, and I have a strong dislike for ceilings or other things that get in the way like that.  They are almost NEVER used in-game, and only make it harder and more frustrating to play.  

I built a rather large and grand cathedral for 40k (2x2' square) and have barely used it.  It is a gorgeous piece, if I say so myself, but it is so darn ungainly to play on that it isn't worth the trouble!  We still do every now and then, but I learned my lesson the hard way.

Short answer, I doubt it.  If there are, I'm fully confident that Matt would make them work and make them awesome.  

Well, if anything, you could have 1 rack/walkway thing along one wall to give the idea that, if the hangar had a roof, they would extend the whole way.

Either way, this is already plenty amazing and well, you said it yourself : Matt'll figure out how to make it awesome.

I built a rather large and grand cathedral for 40k (2x2' square) and have barely used it.  It is a gorgeous piece, if I say so myself, but it is so darn ungainly to play on that it isn't worth the trouble!  We still do every now and then, but I learned my lesson the hard way.

Keen to see!!

I built a rather large and grand cathedral for 40k (2x2' square) and have barely used it. It is a gorgeous piece, if I say so myself, but it is so darn ungainly to play on that it isn't worth the trouble! We still do every now and then, but I learned my lesson the hard way.

Keen to see!!

Ugh perhaps I'll post it up sometime. I leave it buried in the garage, partially in frustration at how un-fun it is to use.

Matt has basically finished the wall!!!

He sent me quite a few pics. There are a few things left to be done, including a command throne for the ship captain. Should be perfect for the Blood in the Void campaign, especially for boarding actions on the bridge!

gallery_64289_9857_329766.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_1022779.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_395702.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_631666.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_322803.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_167703.jpg

(Bad quality, sorry)

gallery_64289_9857_443772.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_875687.jpg

And this kick-ass fuel truck!

gallery_64289_9857_78444.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_823257.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_748261.jpg

Again, heretics are for scale only. msn-wink.gif

At the end of this, I'm actually in a bit of a dilemma. So far, Matt has outstripped my expectations in an incredible way. However, one piece didn't match up with my vision. The pillars. I envisioned them to be large, fat, and structural as if holding up the ceiling in a cavernous hold of a ship. Basically, like these from the Forgeworld display:

http://chaptermasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMG_6072.jpg

What Matt built, which are still very cool, are these:

gallery_64289_9857_38761.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_785828.jpg

I'm trying to decide what to do. I like what he built and I think they will look really cool, but they aren't quite what I had in mind.

Fortunately he has been very accommodating, so I have no worries we will work it out.

I would keep those pillars without a doubt and potentially use them objectives which are a litle less locked in place, like a bridge, or engine bay. These could be Teleportation array transponders or navigation beacons used by the ship to 'autopilot' the incoming ships etc.

Wow great update. this thread is the only reason I visit this fourm any more . I'am seriously considering having a ships bridge built.

Thanks man! That is high praise. I definitely recommend Sabol Studios.

I would keep those pillars without a doubt and potentially use them objectives which are a litle less locked in place, like a bridge, or engine bay. These could be Teleportation array transponders or navigation beacons used by the ship to 'autopilot' the incoming ships etc.

Yeah I am definitely keeping them, but I was considering whether to ask him to build another set.

Turns out, he did so without me even asking! He wasn't super pleased with them, but I'm happy. At this point they are a bonus just to match my request a little more closely.

gallery_64289_9857_559383.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_253813.jpg

The last piece I asked him to create was the command throne. I wanted an imposing piece to sit somewhere that I designate as "the bridge" amongst the consoles and other whatnots that I put there.

Aaaaand he nailed it.

gallery_64289_9857_100423.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_29543.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_260673.jpg

Couldn't be happier.

So, now it's down to shipping it here and me painting it! Seeing how enormous this is, I'm slightly dreading it, but I'm also super excited. It will be a fun change and I'm sure paint will bring it even more to life than it already is.

Also shipping will be via freight, since it's a single four-foot long piece. Yikes.

Wowzers. I thought it would have been something modular that you could easily disassemble and put back together for conveniences sake.

Either way, hope that thing gets to ya safely! 

Wowzers. I thought it would have been something modular that you could easily disassemble and put back together for conveniences sake.

Either way, hope that thing gets to ya safely!

Thanks! It started as a modular piece, to be fully reassembled upon arrival but he told me he wasn't happy with its stability. There are still quite a few pieces that are unattached and will be put together once it gets here.

I'm pretty stoked. Hangar door should fit most FW aircraft smaller than a Thunderhawk, so time for me to build some planes to fill my new hangar! I'm debating on a few, as I really like the Thunderbolt as a model, and the Arvus Lighter as a terrain piece for the hangar, but pragmatism says I should get some Astartes flyers so I can also use them in-game. Maybe a Storm Eagle or a Caestus... I am doing this all for boarding actions, after all...

Now I'm getting grand ideas of building a drop-pod launch bay... Gotta reel me in, before I go crazy!

Now I'm getting grand ideas of building a drop-pod launch bay... Gotta reel me in, before I go crazy!

DO IT! I'd love to see a mocked up one - even if it was just 1 or 2 pods hung in their chains ready for release into orbit... possibly also have a Dreadclaw splitting through a separate area spilling enemy warriors into the hold?

Glad you guys like it! I'll be posting pics as I start painting too, along with my usual paralyzing indecision on colors...

As far as organs, yeah they're all there. Just disciplined about my budget - wife gets her spending money and does lots of things with it while I get mine, save it for a few months, then blow it all on a huge Forgeworld order or commission terrain piece!

I'm not sure how I would realize a drop pod launch bay. I would want a raised walkway or even main floor area to reach the pods, with each pod having its own launch chute extending up to the ceiling. They'd have to be open on one side, with an empty pod within. The pod could have one door open to the walkway... Maybe another drop pod suspended by chains, like you said, either in a maintenance status or being lifted into the launch chute. Mmmm well that's a project for another day (or several months).

I am very very excited about my wall and hangar! The plan is to paint multiple spots on the floor with yellow taxi lines running to and from. I'll add planes later as terrain - fighting your boarding action around the ready to launch fighters! Exciting!

For a Drop Pod bay I'm thinking reverse submarine cruise missile launch bay :

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WoKN12JQV-g/Ulf1zbg_qCI/AAAAAAAAqec/VPgKxS2GNog/s640/1350+scale+Russian+Navy+SSGN+Oscar+II+Class+Kursk+Cruise+Missile+Submarine++%5B1).jpg

But reverse I mean upside down, facing the surface of whatever unfortunate world their in orbit above. And missiles being Drop Pods.

This might be a stupid question but if a submarine opens those missile bay things under water won't it flood..?

But yeah something like that but on the bottom of the ship would work. I've never really thought about how they launch drop pods.

For the first part - each missile chamber is a sealed, water tight unit - however if they were breached whilst under water it's highly likely they would be flooded (or potentially worse if decompression hit and started squishing everything... one key reason why I don't like subs).

Second part - looking at artwork it seems they pop sideways then out (as they have a certain amount of their own thrust at first - kind of like retro-boosters on fighter jets).

I've always imagined them aimed down at the planet, though maybe sideways would also make sense. As thought they were being launched in accompaniment of the orbital bombardment also taking place. Hmmmm...

Ah well. That's a long ways off, I'm afraid.

• 2 weeks later...

Hail again, brethren.

The project is completely built and in the mail to me now. It had to go via freight, so there was some delay in getting in packaged and sent. Anyways, I have a few more "finalized" pictures to share before it actually arrives and I start painting.

First things first - front and back.

gallery_64289_9857_590678.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_374903.jpg

And a few other detail shots for good measure. :)

gallery_64289_9857_7532.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_542630.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_518465.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_243058.jpg

gallery_64289_9857_560914.jpg

That's all for now. Sorry there isn't any more NEW stuff - just the same but with primer. I'm very excited and will share more once it arrives!

Archived