Millicant's Horus Heresy (Blood in the Void - 28Jun)

Millicant

Sorry to disappoint! I have been focused on the Battlescribe catalogues with my limited hobby time lately. I will be returning to my first love, Zone Mortalis, very soon. Thanks for ththe support guys!

this thread is just so good man them Fists especially Polux are top shelf sir and the docking bay terrain is amazing

Thanks man!  Keeps me motivated to hear that.  :)

What is the paint recipie? Absolutely love that yellow. I'm about to start death guard and heavily considered imperial fists. Great job!

Thanks dude!  Again, I really appreciate that.  Here's my recipe:

1. Prime (usually black, ultimately irrelevant)

2. Base Coat Ironbreaker

3. Zenithal highlight of VMA Chrome.  

4. 3x Coat of Tamiya Clear Yellow.  These need to be good, solid coats.  Take your time and get all three, otherwise it will look weird.  

5. One light coat of Cassandora Yellow.  This gives it a nice dulling effect and is the final and critical step to the yellow color.  

6. Gloss Varnish.  

7. Decals.  Apply, allow to dry, and apply another quick coat of gloss over the top. Then use some sandpaper to damage them a little bit.  Make sure everything is dry first!

8. Black parts with Model Master Aircraft Interior Black via brush.  I use it because it is barely "off-black" enough to have the right effect.  You could probably use regular black if you're not ridiculous like me.  

9. Sponge small bits of MM Aircraft Interior Black for damage.  

10. Sponge over black damage with Ironbreaker to add depth.

11. Semi-gloss Varnish

12. Brush on Matte Varnish on the painted black parts. 

13. Mix Vallejo Liquid Gold: Gold and Silver to make the gold parts for the shields.  The exact mix is hard because they are not easy to mix. It's roughly 1:1.  

Hope that helps!  Please hit me back with any questions.  

Hey ephrael - yes it is Model Masters acrylic. Honestly you could mix down some German Grey with straight black and achieve something similar. The idea is just to have a barely off-black because straight black doesn't look right in miniature.

That being said, Model Masters acrylic is still considered one of the "big 3" when it comes to miniatures, particularly scale military vehicles/aircraft. Their paints are quite good, I'd venture to say on par or better than GW, at least for airbrushing. Don't count them out just yet! :)

Thanks for the info Millicant. I was thinking of using the same German Grey/Black mix you mentioned to achieve a similar effect. To be honest, I have so many of the Vallejo and Tamiya paints already so I doubt I'll be trying Testors any time soon. I actually just saw some newer colors from the Ammo by Mig line that I'm very impressed with. I might try some Testors spray paints on some die cast cars I'm customizing though.

• 8 months later...

Hey guys!

I'm still working on it. I just returned from a deployment about two weeks ago, so I'm still getting the hobby time ramped up.

I've actually contacted a local commission painter to take on the wall. I'm doing well on the tiles, but I have to recognize that my schedule simply doesn't permit me to take on this wall alone. Once he can fit me into the schedule, you can be sure I'll post pictures here. I'm very excited. :)

In other news, the Imperial Fists boarding force is coming along nicely. I'm adding another squad of breachers and some cataphractii terminators. Pics will be forthcoming.

Great to hear it! Loves those metallic fists!

Not sure how I could have missed this thread, but it is glorious.

Thanks guys!  I'm working hard on some Terminators now, plus their lovely Zone Mortalis bases and I'm going to tie in painting a tile to the process.  

Archived